To the community, mostly the younger ones, don't get offended :)
A genuine question, from an oldie (yeah I am 34 lol) Growing up, there was so many horror icons in games and films, Freddy, Jason, M.Myers, Pinhead, Resident Evil Games. Basically there was a lot of icons, and I know there is new sequeals of things, games included. But I am interested, is there out there any icons from a horror perspective that are well iconic? I grew up with the old horror and mostly now everything gets a reboot and not a lot iconic stuff is new (and btw I am excited for the new Hellraiser reboot, not much of a fan of reboots but Clive is involved) But I am interested, is there any games and sorry for repeating, any killers out there or baddies that can say yes they are iconic :)
I also grew up hiding behind my couch watching Childs Play, blame my mother! lol
Comments
I guess now a days the icons of horror would be like Five Nights At Freddys? I myself do fear animatronics greatly and wouldn't mind their addition to the game but FNAF no where compares to the legends of old. The horror masters themselves. Maybe the Conjuring Universe's The Nun is up there now as well. I see many people talking bout her.
I did think that myself with the Nun and Conjouring, even if it was set back way in the day the movies have brought out a good following, I guess I just wish to see the nowadays icons and what peeps watch and see as such in this age and I sound old lol I hated pot dolls growing up myself
I watched Seed of Chucky when i was like 5. that really stuck with me.
But Jennifer's Body, Five nights at Freddy's, Raw and Outlast, are quite iconic 2 me
Martyrs i really liked when i was younger like 10 but i dont think it really holds up to me anymore
I'm just here to say that 34 is not an oldie lol
Oh christ lol
Hell but which version???
As in Matyrs :)
I guess Slenderman is kinda iconic for modern horror. But that’s also kinda over now? Don’t know never got into it..
Otherwise something like Walking Dead just doesn’t have a single iconic villain
It's true! When you said you were an oldie, I thought maybe you were in your 50s. Then you said 34 and I thought, omg that's not old! When you're in your 40s or 50s you'll wish you were 34
(For the record I am younger than you lol)
It's old! for me! lol
I'm 40, the 80s was all about horror.
TV had anthology of horror shows, Monsters,Outer Limits, Tales From the Darkside, then Tales from the Crypt, good stuff.
News: Bermuda Triangle, Bigfoot, Witches, Aliens, this stuff was real back then.
Nowadays we are faced with real life dystopian horror.
I don't think there are too many, are there?
Nowadays most horror stuff is either a continuation of a previously existing franchise or just a bunch of cheap jumpscares, making the characters quite forgettable.
I would say the biggest horror icon from recent times is definitely Freddy Fazebear from the FNaF franchise. There are a couple of other popular ones, such as Momo or Siren Head, but those are not nearly as popular as Freddy nor are they really well developed characters, so I wouldn't really count them as "icons".
Then there is also the SCP foundation stuff, but it's hard to decide for a single character that best represents it. There are definitely a few very popular ones though, such as SCP-049 (Plague Doctor), SCP-173 (The Sculpture) or SCP-096 (Shy Guy). But I think it's quite difficult to determine one of them as the face of the franchise, as it is basically just a huge collection of monsters and most games are about the foundation itself rather than one specific monster within it.
modern horror movies are usually less icon-based, the perfect example of this is James Wan's "Malignant" where for the (very good imo) first half of the movie you have no idea what the "villain" of the movie really is to have this sort of suprise effect when it gets revealed. Conjuring has similar tendencies where it starts out with weird sounds and effects until later on the actual menace is revealed.
Older Horror Movies (which are basically thrillers now - which isn't a bad thing, i absolutely ADORE the first movie of scream) where insanely more centered and direct, where Ghostface is introduced to the viewer as villain from the first scene on, similar to Halloween with Michael killing his sister (i think) in like the first scene and is the definite villain of that movie...
SCP stuff is pretty iconic, the Backrooms are eerie and a lot of video game stuff, like the wendigos from until dawn are nice, however not nearly as iconic as Michael Myers or Freddy Krüger... i guess time has to pass first for those to have the chance to become icons...
Also i have noticed a trend with video games picking up Lovecraft-inspired topics / characters (which is really nice too imo, big Lovecraft fan since i first read his Whisperer in the dark) and a lot of games take stuff from that, even non-horror games like Call of Duty Black Ops 3...
and the old icons arent really any less iconic to us then they were to you i presume
the OG version i liked it as a kid because of how different it was, tho the start scene made me very uncomfortable
Maligant I laughed my ass off too! Now take basket case a low low budget film! lol
Oh gosh, I forgot about Tales from the Crypt!
When I was a kid, Are You Afraid of the Dark was the horror show (Goosebumps was cool, too). I might make a post about that 🤔
The icons I gre up with ARE iconic, but I was wondering if anything now can be deemed as such and I don't think it is a thing now I feel that was a thing but it is interesting to see if anything is an icon now.
I was like, if you think 34 is old, then I must be ancient.
To be fair though, it's all downhill once you hit 30. One day you're 29 and feeling youthful and the next you're 30 and all of a sudden your back is stiff and sore and you're finding it difficult to work up the will to get out of bed in the morning.
You also have a favourite spatula, wait that's Mr Mushwin, but yeah you drop a pen and wonder if it's worth trying to bend down and get it and usually it isn't lol and you have to adult and try to not pee a little when you sneeze! LOL