I have been a bit too harsh on OTR
it's a open fact that i think OTR is a subpar at best substitute for old DS, the reasons i think this are that i have seen a OTR user go down 10 seconds after the perk went off/ watched a teammate use the perk as a excuse to do jack-diddly squat and doom the entire team with their inaction because "muh OTR value" a bit too often for me to believe that it even remotely discourages tunnelling as well as old DS
I will admit though, up until a few hours ago, i had never actually used the perk, and i will be the first to admit, i was mostly wrong, during my time using OTR...
- I found out that the Iron Will and Distortion effects do not go away when performing conspicuous actions, i am very bad at reading and thought that those effects also got disabled when the Endurance got disabled, but apparently they do not
- The perk has some pretty fun synergies, Fixated is nice since you can be silent and not reveal scratch marks, Lucky Break is good since you effectively become a ghost, and Overcome is nice because you run a pretty nutty distance with it, combine all four perks and you can effectively disappear if you get hit off the hook
- Conspicuous action point farming is hilarious, albeit a bug that absolutely is going to get patched sooner or later
- The Endurance has saved my bacon a lot more then i thought it would, and more killers have continued to chase me and effectively lose the game off of how long i keep them busy then i thought as well
As nice as all of this may sound, i still don't think that OTR is quite as good as old DS, for two reasons
- OTR's way of stopping tunnelling (preventing a down) is simply not as powerful as DS's way of preventing tunnelling (preventing a hook) in my opinion, i would much rather go down and be able to pick myself up again then not go down in the first place, you can get back up from being downed, you can't get back a hook-state
- OTR's anti-tunnelling effect relies mainly on two things, your skill at looping, and the overconfidence/stupidity of the killer, don't get me wrong, when it works out, it works out extremely well, but DS only requires that the killer picks you up rather then hitting you off the hook and not being able to down you quickly
My initial feelings towards OTR were wrong, absolutely they were, but i still think that DS is better, especially if it gets reverted
Comments
Fair enough.
i would much rather go down and be able to pick myself up again then not go down in the first place, you can get back up from being downed
getting slugged as survivor shouldn't be rewarding but it is. I could see DS being reverted if survivor did not get rewarded for being slugged and the killer got rewarded for slugging. preventing a hook state is pretty big currently in the game, hence why DS was changed.
If off the record didn't exist, tunnelling would basically be uncounterable without good teammates having good perks
DS was reduced to such a non threat, nobody respects it anymore.
Honestly the sound and aura suppression alone are probably decent enough to run the perk, the fact that it gives you Endurance as a further safeguard until you feel safe enough to work on generators isn't even the part I think makes it useful against me as a killer. Like you said, if someone is intentionally using that Endurance to bodyblock they're probably wasting Off the Record, I think it's more effective as something that gives you stealth to help you steer clear of the killer for a while once you've gotten some distance from them initially. The survivors who use it defensively to stay away from me are, to me, more dangerous than the ones who use it aggressively to do in-your-face Endurance blocks.
OTR doesn't really effect my killer games, honestly.
It's very fun and fair when a guy gets full healed and then comes and blocks your current chase cause he still has OTR active. Definitely very balanced
I think it should be buffed to KEEP the effects when the final gen goes off. Effects being everything except the endurance.
Meaning if I got unhooked and have 30 seconds left on the timer. Them doing the last gen shouldn't erase all the effects.
Nobody respects OTR either, tunneling is easier than ever, I'm not saying OTR is a bad perk but why nerf DS when you claim in the patchnote that you want to nerf tunneling it's weird, everytime I see someone using DS he's always dead 5 seconds later
I will admit I have done that during my testing and it was nothing short of hilarious
Not sure if I would call tunneling easier than ever, but it surely hasn't become less effective either, and that is a real shame. I fully agree, that DS stun nerf was one of the worst balance changes I have ever seen. Just completely awful.
Let's hope they don't stay stubborn too long on that, and finally buff it back to 5 seconds.