Lets all be a more positive light in this community

First some self accountability before anyone thinks I'm attacking the community: I've let the negativity kind of tilt me and make me not only be a jerk in my matches, but say some pretty despicable things lately I regret. My behavior in this game for the past week has been despicable, and most of my DBD friends I've made historically were from my friendliness in the game.


I think the entire community agree we are letting the "us vs them" mentality really ruin the game right now. It's not healthy for the game or really for us as human beings lets be honest here.


1.)all of the protesting by throwing the game is making things much worse. I understand there is some unhappiness with the patch. But doing this adds yet another problem. Now not only do some players hate the patch, we are all upset because of people quitting. Its simply creating a self fueling issue. The more people that do it the more that are encouraged to do it. We can be better than this. DBD is an M rated game. The majority of the player base is over 18 years old. We are better than this and quitting on first hook or first down simply isn't the mature way to address our concerns.


2.) this is just a game. and even those of us who main one side most likely play both occasionally. There is no reason to keep taking things so seriously. It is only a video game- not even a competitive one-and we are all living breathing human beings on the other side of the screen.


3.) bashing the devs needs to stop, myself included. Games like this are notoriously hard to balance and we need to respect they not only need to balance two opposing sides, but across varying skill ranks, and for swf vs solo q. It's more challenging than any of us likely realize and we need to give them time. Unless we want this game to die like Evolve or Ft13th we need to actively support it and not destroy it. Bashing the devs is the last thing we need to do. They don't NEED to keep working on this game. They can literally just start another project behind the scenes and not tell us and shut the servers down eventually. Also I do agree with the criticism they probably don't play their own game much. Designing and programming, monitoring reports, watching the forums, collecting feedback, art and planning and the collabs they have to reach out to other companies for all takes massive amounts of time. In other words MAKING the game is a FULL time job. Even if they take time to play it while making it, we have to understand how much more is on their plate than "just playing the game". Every person I knew in college who went into game design quit because the burnout, and not ever having the time to actually PLAY games anymore.


4.) this patch isn't that bad. It's fun and plenty of us on here are saying that. The problem isn't the patch it's all of us behaving like animals-point blank both sides are acting insane-because it was too much change at once, and the biggest lesson here is incremental changes in the future rather than a giant change that throws the community into a whirlwind. I'm already seeing less quitters. I'm seeing a new meta. I'm seeing less tunneling. I'm also seeing dead hard and DS being run again, but in new situations and very effectively. People ARE adapting slowly just like the devs and some of the rest of us originally said.


5.)Killer mains, lets try to camp and tunnel just a little less and worry about the other side until things settle down. We are finally the power role we are supposed to be. I love it. It's a big relief. Having learned to get my wins prior to the patch, I like that I can play less sweaty now and maybe even let someone go. I have had plenty of 4k secured now and let the last 1-2 survivors go because I had my win and didn't feel the need to be crushing. that being said- the toxic survivors that tilt me do keep putting me back in a us vs them mind set. I HATE to admit it, but not EVERY survivor is toxic. The ones that are just cause so much tilt that it carries over into other matches, and I know I'm not the only killer main who feels this way and we need to grow up. If they want to act toxic let them, just enjoying the game and ignoring them should be enough.


6.) survivor mains. stop throwing the matches. You aren't going to affect much change and are just wasting your own time and making it easier for the killers to win. My win rate right now is inflated from survivors killing themselves on hook/ dcing because the rest of the match snowballs. Now I am only getting high tier survivors I am not skilled enough to beat. Do you know what happens to MOST killers at that point? You got it- they are forced to camp and tunnel because you boosted their mmr. And if people are throwing across all skill levels its going to force this kind of boosted cant win now mind set across all skill levels.


7.) I know no one is going to take this post seriously and its going to be drowned out in the forum. But I really truly feel if we can all stop the tunneling camping/throwing/dcing/ teabagging/clicking and start saying "gg you played well" instead of "gg ez" maybe the game can continue to grow instead of literally being DEAD by daylight one day (Ha dad joke.)


I'm going to try to start being a better teammate as survivor and a less toxic killer (the survivors behaviors this patch pushed me from the once friendly killer I was to being.....freakishly toxic the past several days. I am absolutely ashamed of myself.) Lets all try to hold each other accountable. Call out your teammates for taunting the killer or dcing. Killer mains if you play a survivor game and see a toxic killer, call him out. Don't insult. Just a friendly message like the one I'm posting here.


It isn't much but maybe it can help. A friend of mine who plays pushed me last night from deciding to tunnel every game from now on to a more positive place. I truly hope I've done the same here.


Good luck gamers, see you in the fog.

Comments

  • Lets all be a more positive

    ''throwing the game is ruining it and childish''

    Very positive there bud

  • @Dead_Harder said:

    Lets all be a more positive

    ''throwing the game is ruining it and childish''

    Very positive there bud

    That isn't a positive or negative statement friend. It's just true. Do you honestly thinking throwing a match because you're upset is the mature way to handle things? I'm not sure why you thought this was a negative statement. But we can agree to disagree.

  • @Dead_Harder said:

    Lets all be a more positive

    ''throwing the game is ruining it and childish''

    Very positive there bud

    It's actually a healthy and sportsmanlike opinion, how can it not be negative lul

  • @fulltonon said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3108504#Comment_3108504

    It's actually a healthy and sportsmanlike opinion, how can it not be negative lul

    @Wewantjason said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3108504#Comment_3108504

    That isn't a positive or negative statement friend. It's just true. Do you honestly thinking throwing a match because you're upset is the mature way to handle things? I'm not sure why you thought this was a negative statement. But we can agree to disagree.

    Ah yes because people doing it will reconsider their actions once you call it childish.

    You guys fail to understand the core of this message on a fundemental level even when one of you is its writer.

    Its hilarious <3

  • @Wewantjason said:

    First some self accountability before anyone thinks I'm attacking the community: I've let the negativity kind of tilt me and make me not only be a jerk in my matches, but say some pretty despicable things lately I regret. My behavior in this game for the past week has been despicable, and most of my DBD friends I've made historically were from my friendliness in the game.

    I think the entire community agree we are letting the "us vs them" mentality really ruin the game right now. It's not healthy for the game or really for us as human beings lets be honest here.

    1.)all of the protesting by throwing the game is ruining it and childish. it needs to stop.

    2.) this is just a game. and even those of us who main one side most likely play both occasionally. There is no reason to keep taking things so seriously. It is only a video game- not even a competitive one-and we are all living breathing human beings on the other side of the screen.

    3.) bashing the devs needs to stop, myself included. Games like this are notoriously hard to balance and we need to respect they not only need to balance two opposing sides, but across varying skill ranks, and for swf vs solo q. It's more challenging than any of us likely realize and we need to give them time. Unless we want this game to die like Evolve or Ft13th we need to actively support it and not destroy it. Bashing the devs is the last thing we need to do. They don't NEED to keep working on this game. They can literally just start another project behind the scenes and not tell us and shut the servers down eventually. Also I do agree with the criticism they probably don't play their own game much. Designing and programming, monitoring reports, watching the forums, collecting feedback, art and planning and the collabs they have to reach out to other companies for all takes massive amounts of time. In other words MAKING the game is a FULL time job. Even if they take time to play it while making it, we have to understand how much more is on their plate than "just playing the game". Every person I knew in college who went into game design quit because the burnout, and not ever having the time to actually PLAY games anymore.

    4.) this patch isn't that bad. It's fun and plenty of us on here are saying that. The problem isn't the patch it's all of us behaving like animals-point blank both sides are acting insane-because it was too much change at once, and the biggest lesson here is incremental changes in the future rather than a giant change that throws the community into a whirlwind. I'm already seeing less quitters. I'm seeing a new meta. I'm seeing less tunneling. I'm also seeing dead hard and DS being run again, but in new situations and very effectively. People ARE adapting slowly just like the devs and some of the rest of us originally said.

    5.)Killer mains, lets try to camp and tunnel just a little less and worry about the other side until things settle down. We are finally the power role we are supposed to be. I love it. It's a big relief. Having learned to get my wins prior to the patch, I like that I can play less sweaty now and maybe even let someone go. I have had plenty of 4k secured now and let the last 1-2 survivors go because I had my win and didn't feel the need to be crushing. that being said- the toxic survivors that tilt me do keep putting me back in a us vs them mind set. I HATE to admit it, but not EVERY survivor is toxic. The ones that are just cause so much tilt that it carries over into other matches, and I know I'm not the only killer main who feels this way and we need to grow up. If they want to act toxic let them, just enjoying the game and ignoring them should be enough.

    6.) survivor mains. stop throwing the matches. You aren't going to affect much change and are just wasting your own time and making it easier for the killers to win. My win rate right now is inflated from survivors killing themselves on hook/ dcing because the rest of the match snowballs. Now I am only getting high tier survivors I am not skilled enough to beat. Do you know what happens to MOST killers at that point? You got it- they are forced to camp and tunnel because you boosted their mmr. And if people are throwing across all skill levels its going to force this kind of boosted cant win now mind set across all skill levels.

    7.) I know no one is going to take this post seriously and its going to be drowned out in the forum. But I really truly feel if we can all stop the tunneling camping/throwing/dcing/ teabagging/clicking and start saying "gg you played well" instead of "gg ez" maybe the game can continue to grow instead of literally being DEAD by daylight one day (Ha dad joke.)

    I'm going to try to start being a better teammate as survivor and a less toxic killer (the survivors behaviors this patch pushed me from the once friendly killer I was to being.....freakishly toxic the past several days. I am absolutely ashamed of myself.) Lets all try to hold each other accountable. Call out your teammates for taunting the killer or dcing. Killer mains if you play a survivor game and see a toxic killer, call him out. Don't insult. Just a friendly message like the one I'm posting here.

    It isn't much but maybe it can help. A friend of mine who plays pushed me last night from deciding to tunnel every game from now on to a more positive place. I truly hope I've done the same here.

    Good luck gamers, see you in the fog.

    Do you think this behavior would be the same if devs had said... we have a 45% killer rate and we want it to be 55%. We know camping and tunneling so much is a problem and we are looking into it. We know swf is easier and could be a problem for killers and solo, so we will try to adjust it,...

  • @Dead_Harder said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3108513#Comment_3108513

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3108511#Comment_3108511

    Ah yes because people doing it will reconsider their actions once you call it childish.

    You guys fail to understand the core of this message on a fundemental level even when one of you is its writer.

    Its hilarious <3

    you mean like we should accept every bad behavior no matter what, because apparently telling it bad is also bad lol

  • trying to be positive with this community is like talking to a wall

    i appreciate the effort but its too late

  • @fulltonon said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3108519#Comment_3108519

    you mean like we should accept every bad behavior no matter what, because apparently telling it bad is also bad lol

    No, you should simply not call it childish to instantly end the possiblity for a conversation with people doing it.

    Here is an example: Throwing games is affecting your fellow survivors as well and is unlikely to get the changes reverted anyway. Goooood

    Throwing games is childish! Baaaaad. We have now instantly ended our chance at actually talking with those people and hopefully change their minds.

    First example is being positive and respectful. Second is vengeful and combative and unlikely to achieve anything. This is why this post is hilarious <3

  • @Dead_Harder said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3108526#Comment_3108526

    No, you should simply not call it childish to instantly end the possiblity for a conversation with people doing it.

    Here is an example: Throwing games is affecting your fellow survivors as well and is unlikely to get the changes reverted anyway. Goooood

    Throwing games is childish! Baaaaad. We have now instantly ended our chance at actually talking with those people and hopefully change their minds.

    First example is being positive and respectful. Second is vengeful and combative and unlikely to achieve anything. This is why this post is hilarious <3

    I can see your point. Personally I don't think it's that harsh but I'll edit the post.

  • @Wewantjason said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3108532#Comment_3108532

    I can see your point. Personally I don't think it's that harsh but I'll edit the post.

    Cheers <3

  • despite your effort it's admirable, things won't change unfortunately. As for me, i never insulted anyone in the endchat or played dirty despite all the bullshit that i've endured in those years, but i won't play anymore the way that people wish since i'm not appreciated regardless how i play. so i'm sorry for you since you are one of the FEW people out there that aren't toxic and deserve a good game, but i'll keep tunneling and camping. i just hope that you won't be present in my matches

  • @Tostapane said:

    despite your effort it's admirable, things won't change unfortunately. As for me, i never insulted anyone in the endchat or played dirty despite all the bullshit that i've endured in those years, but i won't play anymore the way that people wish since i'm not appreciated regardless how i play. so i'm sorry for you since you are one of the FEW people out there that aren't toxic and deserve a good game, but i'll keep tunneling and camping. i just hope that you won't be present in my matches

    Frankly I wouldn't mind, I do not feel camping and tunneling are even a problem. It's called playing defense as killer, point blank. I am only encouraging to slow it down to help the community feel better. I've routinely seen survivors loop killers for 2-5 gens while they try to tunnel, and if the killer isn't an insta down killer and you actually bring things like bt and otr they literally can't camp. These problems are not really a problem outside of the lower mmr in my personal opinion.


    That being said who knows how long this positive mind set will last. I'm about to hop on killer (just did several survivor games. solo q is rough and I do not blame my killers tonight.) I know there is going to be teabagging/clicking/and salty inbox messages, so lets see how things go Lol.

  • @Wewantjason said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3108598#Comment_3108598

    Frankly I wouldn't mind, I do not feel camping and tunneling are even a problem. It's called playing defense as killer, point blank. I am only encouraging to slow it down to help the community feel better. I've routinely seen survivors loop killers for 2-5 gens while they try to tunnel, and if the killer isn't an insta down killer and you actually bring things like bt and otr they literally can't camp. These problems are not really a problem outside of the lower mmr in my personal opinion.

    That being said who knows how long this positive mind set will last. I'm about to hop on killer (just did several survivor games. solo q is rough and I do not blame my killers tonight.) I know there is going to be teabagging/clicking/and salty inbox messages, so lets see how things go Lol.

    good luck mate, i wish you best

  • @Dead_Harder said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3108513#Comment_3108513

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3108511#Comment_3108511

    Ah yes because people doing it will reconsider their actions once you call it childish.

    You guys fail to understand the core of this message on a fundemental level even when one of you is its writer.

    Its hilarious <3

    This is the kind of behavior why OP wanted to ask our beloved DbD community to be less toxic and be more wholesome. Maybe you should really take a step back from the game and look into mirror for a while.

    Why all this negativity and nihilism?

  • I understand why people are upset. So letting them vent and also letting them give feedback on something that is important to them is fair.

    I think everyone needs to take accountability and that includes the developers. You know the ones actually making changes that are ruining players’ experiences.

    This whole community could be better, the problem is it often feels like everyone is fighting with each other over stuff that really they have no control over. Meanwhile the ones that do have control over changes (the devs) seem to be far from connected from their own community and just watching them bicker at each other from their seats.

  • The devs would literally lose their livelihood if they didn't care. It's pretty hard to balance a game where anything they do to help one sides inherently harms the other unfortunately. I do not believe they are disconnected from the community.

    I DO feel their may be a grain of truth to the sentiment that they don't quite grasp some of the gameplay changes they make. Case in point when Patrick said "if you loop the killer for five gens and die was that REALLY a skilled play?" I dont understand hockey but I feel like scoring 100 goals is amazing, even if the other team scores 101 you still played an amazing game. (Adjust those numbers for relevant related scores in hockey). Also cutting the guy some slack, sometimes being interviewed and under pressure we misspeak. He may have been trying to say something entirely different and it came out wrong, who knows. But they do care about the community, but I think the time they have to spend on all the various tasks (design, programming, out reach, hackers, events, balancing, etc,) there is a strong chance that no, they don't intuitively understand the game as well as someone like OTZ who LITERALLY plays 8-15 hours a day because PLAYING it is his livelihood, MAKING it is theirs. Thats why they want our feedback, WE play and understand it, so that THEY can have the information to fix it.

    For example the mettle of man rework incoming.

    The conspicuous action addition means the following

    1.) after taking a hit the survivor cannot heal themself

    2.) in order to take another hit, they now need another survivor to heal them to avoid triggering the conspicuous action.

    3.) this means there will be TWO survivors off gens .

    5.) this rework means mettle of man requires one player to be off gens for a significant amount of time while another is off ATLEAST long enough to heal that person, who then remains off gens. This perk is actually worse than a styptic agent now.


    I don't think this was well thought through at all. Also no one was even complaining about mettle of man, I don't think I see it more than once every 10-20 games and even then it rarely procs. Thana was a definite problem, as a killer main I felt obligated to run it on every build and was bored. Now its so over nerfed its useless. It basically goes away after the first kill.

    Lets say you have three people injured, thats 6% of 90 seconds is 5.4 seconds. As long as even quick and easy chases go, that's absolutely useless to me. I have zero reason to run that on anyone but plague now and I don't even play plague. And even on plague who can keep everyone injured it once again stops working and goes down to 6% once someone dies or cleanses; meaning the survivors can just auto disable it against her then wait out her power or just out play her that one cleanse. Saying the killer has to "work to get four injures" is silly when one heal undoes that work and intentionally spreading the injures means survivors can heal over and over while you aren't patrolling the correct gens or chasing injured people. Getting max value from thana now will likely force new players to throw their matches. Thana is going to be a trap perk for new killers just like self care is considered a trap perk for new survivors.


    Thana is now going to be an F tier perk instead of just having made it slightly weaker. These kinds of changes sure, I'll agree are silly. But the community?

    If the devs were out of touch with the community we wouldn't have this forum. Imo.