SoloQ priority differences causing salt

So today I had three matches where I had an angry teammate at end game chat. A lot of it had to do with miscommunication but also the strategy vs being a "team" player(as told to me today). Two of those matches my teammates were angry about "not hook trading" and the other not going for a save at egc.


The ladder the argument was "I was in chase, you should have saved." The details that is none of the exits were open, and the dredge did quickly drop chase to go back to the hook. Strategy dictates prioritizing the door for two of us to escape as the hook timer was not long enough to open a gate and safely rescue without hook trading. Mind you, looking at the profiles of this person, she was mad cause her duo partner was the one on the hook.


The former on hook trading - I can understand doing this if we are gong to make it as last minute as possible to get the maximum amount of time on gens to punish the killer for proxying. Problem is that in both of these matches the three of the "hook traded" so frequently that I was the only one doing gens and did not go "for my turn" as I was the only one doing gens... I did 4 solo in one of those matches and was the sole person to escape that match as I prioritized the objective instead of being on the hook.


I know we don't have voice comms and it's hard to organize these types of saves. But at the same time, being strategic is not being selfish. In a lot of matches today, I was camped and proxy'd and I was left on hook to die so 3 of my teammates could escape. I did not take it personally or get upset at my teammates. In these matches because there were no strategy from my teammates only 1 or 2 of us escaped. Sometimes it's ok to be the sacrificial goat.


Have any of you experienced something similar?

Comments

  • I'm often on OP's end of arguments like that. I prefer to be play very strategic on survivor and most players don't. I'm not going to feed the killer hooks or kills for no reason at the end of a game. I don't know what perks my solo teammates have, they don't know what perks I have, and I don't know if they even know how to properly unhook in a contested situation.

    Chances are, someone isn't going to check ping or know not to go for a risky unhook against a ping-y killer. Someone gets grabbed half the time. Literally the worst possible thing you could do, but by golly players do it. Or someone manages to go down under the hook, and you're now a sitting duck.

    I think a lot of it does boil down to mindset. Most survivors seem to play just to make plays, and an escape is something that can happen at the end of a trial. Other player like myself are quite a bit more competitive in the sense that we don't care what happens at all during the game as long as we're crossing the exit gate at the end. I'll gladly sit on gens for 5-8 minutes and never see the killer if it means I'm escaping.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    I'm often on OP's end of arguments like that. I prefer to be play very strategic on survivor and most players don't. I'm not going to feed the killer hooks or kills for no reason at the end of a game. I don't know what perks my solo teammates have, they don't know what perks I have, and I don't know if they even know how to properly unhook in a contested situation.

    Chances are, someone isn't going to check ping or know not to go for a risky unhook against a ping-y killer. Someone gets grabbed half the time. Literally the worst possible thing you could do, but by golly players do it. Or someone manages to go down under the hook, and you're now a sitting duck.

    I think a lot of it does boil down to mindset. Most survivors seem to play just to make plays, and an escape is something that can happen at the end of a trial. Other player like myself are quite a bit more competitive in the sense that we don't care what happens at all during the game as long as we're crossing the exit gate at the end. I'll gladly sit on gens for 5-8 minutes and never see the killer if it means I'm escaping.

    I'm the opposite, will probably go for a basement save against a noed hag if it seems like the more interesting option.

  • @skylerbound said:

    So today I had three matches where I had an angry teammate at end game chat. A lot of it had to do with miscommunication but also the strategy vs being a "team" player(as told to me today). Two of those matches my teammates were angry about "not hook trading" and the other not going for a save at egc.

    The ladder the argument was "I was in chase, you should have saved." The details that is none of the exits were open, and the dredge did quickly drop chase to go back to the hook. Strategy dictates prioritizing the door for two of us to escape as the hook timer was not long enough to open a gate and safely rescue without hook trading. Mind you, looking at the profiles of this person, she was mad cause her duo partner was the one on the hook.

    The former on hook trading - I can understand doing this if we are gong to make it as last minute as possible to get the maximum amount of time on gens to punish the killer for proxying. Problem is that in both of these matches the three of the "hook traded" so frequently that I was the only one doing gens and did not go "for my turn" as I was the only one doing gens... I did 4 solo in one of those matches and was the sole person to escape that match as I prioritized the objective instead of being on the hook.

    I know we don't have voice comms and it's hard to organize these types of saves. But at the same time, being strategic is not being selfish. In a lot of matches today, I was camped and proxy'd and I was left on hook to die so 3 of my teammates could escape. I did not take it personally or get upset at my teammates. In these matches because there were no strategy from my teammates only 1 or 2 of us escaped. Sometimes it's ok to be the sacrificial goat.

    Have any of you experienced something similar?

    I'd rather word it another way, based on what you've said - Being selfish is being strategic. Especially in a game where you can be sabotaged all the way out to the matchmaking.

  • Word it however you want, I share the same mindset. Will gladly sit quietly on gens and leave with no issue, and if I have no way of seeing/knowing my teams perks, then it’s not worth the needless risk to force a full team escape. If I’m using a build specifically built for end-game escapes, then sure, but otherwise, it’s still strategic to ensure the win/tie (2 or 3 escape) instead of the self implosion that is trying the Hail Mary save lol.

    Just the typical logic vs feelings situation.

  • @Hi_Im_Chucky said:

    Word it however you want, I share the same mindset. Will gladly sit quietly on gens and leave with no issue, and if I have no way of seeing/knowing my teams perks, then it’s not worth the needless risk to force a full team escape. If I’m using a build specifically built for end-game escapes, then sure, but otherwise, it’s still strategic to ensure the win/tie (2 or 3 escape) instead of the self implosion that is trying the Hail Mary save lol.

    Just the typical logic vs feelings situation.

    Soloq need more forms of communication other than "Wave and point".

    Thats it... Just give the survivors a "command wheel" with lots of communication tools or slots whatever...

  • @skylerbound said:

    So today I had three matches where I had an angry teammate at end game chat. A lot of it had to do with miscommunication but also the strategy vs being a "team" player(as told to me today). Two of those matches my teammates were angry about "not hook trading" and the other not going for a save at egc.

    The ladder the argument was "I was in chase, you should have saved." The details that is none of the exits were open, and the dredge did quickly drop chase to go back to the hook. Strategy dictates prioritizing the door for two of us to escape as the hook timer was not long enough to open a gate and safely rescue without hook trading. Mind you, looking at the profiles of this person, she was mad cause her duo partner was the one on the hook.

    The former on hook trading - I can understand doing this if we are gong to make it as last minute as possible to get the maximum amount of time on gens to punish the killer for proxying. Problem is that in both of these matches the three of the "hook traded" so frequently that I was the only one doing gens and did not go "for my turn" as I was the only one doing gens... I did 4 solo in one of those matches and was the sole person to escape that match as I prioritized the objective instead of being on the hook.

    I know we don't have voice comms and it's hard to organize these types of saves. But at the same time, being strategic is not being selfish. In a lot of matches today, I was camped and proxy'd and I was left on hook to die so 3 of my teammates could escape. I did not take it personally or get upset at my teammates. In these matches because there were no strategy from my teammates only 1 or 2 of us escaped. Sometimes it's ok to be the sacrificial goat.

    Have any of you experienced something similar?

    If you had voice comms with those teammates, there still would have been people being angry. They just would have been screaming their demands through their microphone repeatedly, especially if you still didn’t agree with their demands.

  • I've had people mad I didn't go for a basement save against a camping killer. I've had people mad I didn't try for a save despite the killer having NOED. And I've had messages turned off for a long time now so I no longer have to hear that nonsense.

    I've been left behind to die when the save would've been super easy a million times. I've repeatedly seen three healthy survivors run out of the exit gate rather than give any care about me being on the hook. And I've cursed about it to myself but never messaged anyone else because it's just a game.

    I got a lot of messages from people being upset I didn't attempt a save. You know what I only got once? A nice message from someone where I tried to help them but we both died. Very rarely are they going to be grateful or sorry that you made the attempt and failed, sacrificing your own points. So don't worry about what others say. People are just salty that someone won and it wasn't them.

  • I'm usually of the mindset of 'we ride together, we die together' meaning if I can I will try and save a teammate. Unless they're the selfish type and just doing gens and not once going for a hook save or helping another teammate... if they get hooked then, well then I hope they can Kobe :)