Why does it take so long to just make things?

Can someone explain why some things take forever? I'm no game dev but something like the new mori I feel like could easily come out in the next update. I mean it looks like they already have it with the footage they showed. What do they really need to do? Same goes for things like perk changes. It's almost as if they have like 80 discussions but them increase or decrease a number by like 2%. Why do some of these things take so longer? Whether it's sort of new changes like the mori system or just simple changes to numbers or whatever? That's always been my biggest probelm. The changes and content takes way longer to come out. Other games had big dumps of skins, new abilities or whatever, and also characters like every month. REsistance was a great example. The game changed significantly every month because they introduced A bunch of really cool and unique things to play with all the time while also actually listening to people and nerfed or buffed things that clearly needed it. Same is going for Evil Dead. It had problems and then they fixed annoying stuff like animation cancelling which was a big problem with that game in a short amount of time. What is the problem with DBD though?

Comments

  • Rubberbanding is in game for months, it affects gameplay and some playerbase. But yet, they are still investigating.


    I don't know what is problem with them honestly but they are so slow. They needs new employees or they need to slowdown with chapters.

  • I think it's because they're a smaller company and DBD was never intended to be this big.

  • Doesn't make sense to me either.

    Prob the best example the key, hatch and mori changes. They first announced it what 2 years ago? With changes still coming to it.

    Mori changed from 1 hook to 2, only had to change 1 single digit to do it.

    Hatch changed so only appears for last survivor alive prob just had to delete a few lines so ignore gens.

    Great game, but I swear it's the slowest when needing even simple health updates.

  • @TheDarkTyrant said:

    Can someone explain why some things take forever? I'm no game dev but something like the new mori I feel like could easily come out in the next update. I mean it looks like they already have it with the footage they showed. What do they really need to do? Same goes for things like perk changes. It's almost as if they have like 80 discussions but them increase or decrease a number by like 2%. Why do some of these things take so longer? Whether it's sort of new changes like the mori system or just simple changes to numbers or whatever? That's always been my biggest probelm. The changes and content takes way longer to come out. Other games had big dumps of skins, new abilities or whatever, and also characters like every month. REsistance was a great example. The game changed significantly every month because they introduced A bunch of really cool and unique things to play with all the time while also actually listening to people and nerfed or buffed things that clearly needed it. Same is going for Evil Dead. It had problems and then they fixed annoying stuff like animation cancelling which was a big problem with that game in a short amount of time. What is the problem with DBD though?

    Spaguetti code

  • @Cybil said:

    I think it's because they're a smaller company and DBD was never intended to be this big.

    I dont think is a small company now

  • @Cybil said:

    I think it's because they're a smaller company and DBD was never intended to be this big.

    Many games never were intended to be so big yet they do great.


    Also BHVR is not a small company.

  • @Cybil said:

    I think it's because they're a smaller company and DBD was never intended to be this big.

    Was a long time ago now they got some thousand employees. Originally was thought they'll only be maybe 6 killers max before the game died, but it blew up into something huge. Huge game, small broken foundation still

  • Problem is that the game is very complex with all the content that’s been added over the years, that plus the fact it was never intended to be this big and get so many updates resulting in Code that isn’t actually suitable/maintainable for it.

    also it’s not like we actually go a long time without significant updates, pretty much all mid-chapters are already packed with stuff that the community wants and expects for a while (but once it’s here, no one really acknowledges it anymore and everyone jumps to the next thing to complain about).

    These things also need time: design, implementation, quality assurance, internal play tests, further tweaking/implementing/qa. There is also prioritizing as not everything can be done simultaneously.


    REsistance was done my Capcom, a very big video game company with plenty of experience. While BHVR isn’t small anymore DbD still started as such and this direct comparison isn’t really working.. also let’s wait and see how the support for these games are like when they are 6 years going on.

  • @Ruma said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3044319#Comment_3044319

    Many games never were intended to be so big yet they do great.

    Also BHVR is not a small company.

    Honestly I didn't know who they were until Silent Hill was added to DBD. I had assumed they were a smaller company when I heard DBD was partially crowdfunded.

  • @TheDarkTyrant said:

    Can someone explain why some things take forever? I'm no game dev but something like the new mori I feel like could easily come out in the next update. I mean it looks like they already have it with the footage they showed. What do they really need to do? Same goes for things like perk changes. It's almost as if they have like 80 discussions but them increase or decrease a number by like 2%. Why do some of these things take so longer? Whether it's sort of new changes like the mori system or just simple changes to numbers or whatever? That's always been my biggest probelm. The changes and content takes way longer to come out. Other games had big dumps of skins, new abilities or whatever, and also characters like every month. REsistance was a great example. The game changed significantly every month because they introduced A bunch of really cool and unique things to play with all the time while also actually listening to people and nerfed or buffed things that clearly needed it. Same is going for Evil Dead. It had problems and then they fixed annoying stuff like animation cancelling which was a big problem with that game in a short amount of time. What is the problem with DBD though?

    This game has something going on every couple of weeks.


    If you knew how a game company manages you're broad judgement would be more specific

  • Because if revenues from micro transactions remain steady, then devs have no incentives no reasons to change their maintenance and update schedule.

    In essence, it's an issue caused by customers (i.e. us) not voting with their (our) wallets.

  • @MikaelaWantsYourBoon said:

    Rubberbanding is in game for months, it affects gameplay and some playerbase. But yet, they are still investigating.

    I don't know what is problem with them honestly but they are so slow. They needs new employees or they need to slowdown with chapters.

    Exactly. They should get more people. If they do then I just have know clue as to what can be happening there. I'm not saying fire people or anything, just get more. I'm sure they have the money to do it if they aren't already doing it. Get some experienced developers in the industry.

  • @Cybil said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3044326#Comment_3044326

    Honestly I didn't know who they were until Silent Hill was added to DBD. I had assumed they were a smaller company when I heard DBD was partially crowdfunded.

    It was small at first but even before they were getting big licenses. Even big superhero licenses IF I'm remembering correctly in games like Naughty Bear.

  • @AnchorTea said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/332856/why-does-it-take-so-long-to-just-make-things

    This game has something going on every couple of weeks.

    If you knew how a game company manages you're broad judgement would be more specific

    What is going every couple weeks? I don't count these little BP codes. Especially these events. These events are the bare minimum effort. Other companies could make an event like that every month if they wanted to. Especially when they already have code for event tomes with previous events.

  • Could be because changes are shipped as a patch, example if rubberbanding cant be hotfixed.

    Also bHVR does not allow crunch, unlike other companies in the industry who are known to work their employees to brink of death.

    In the video game industry, crunch is compulsory overtime during the development of a game. Crunch is common in the industry and can lead to work weeks of 65–80 hours for extended periods of time, often uncompensated.[1] It is often used as a way to cut the costs of game development,[citation needed] a labour-intensive endeavour.

    Go check your favorite games, then check what the crunch culture is too. We gamers ought to be Socially Conscious.