Players-driven ban is obviously a bad idea ...
One reason an auto-ban driven by the players is a very bad idea.
I was pitted against players in the 30 to 200 hours range (against my ~2.5k hours). It was my last game of the night and I had been pretty sadistic during the whole session (it was hilarious) so this time I wanted to be nice and let them get out with only two hooks each.
Noise, crows, marks, failed checks, entering lockers in front of the killer or right on the other wall : they did everything you expect from their level of experience and couldn't manage a single gen. They didn't even manage to save the second hook twice.
In the end I left the last two to their own devices and went to prepare for bed.
When I came back I had an unexpected message.

Comments
Yep........ Not to mention the flood of bad sportsmanship reports that will happen any time the killer is within 60m of the hook.
Firstly, why be nasty to people? Especially when you know that they are outmatched?
Like...would you like to be on the other end of this, and do you think that's healthy for the state of the game, at a time when a lot of newer people are going to be playing?
Secondly, who suggested a player based auto-ban? I don't think I've ever seen this even asked for?
Thirdly...if you're going to go out of your way to be nasty to people, at least bring a damn flan.
BHVR mentioned implementing it in a stream.
I may not have been clear. I wasn't nasty one bit with the beginners. I've used the word sadistic, for the previous games, which is different in my book. I've been against good teams all night. Some have been properly infuriating to verse (bully teams, still managed to kill about half each time) The fun was mostly thanks the use of Insidious in unexpected places (and gen-tapping survivors running to me then panicking because of it) and one tea-bag followed by a dead-hard into a Blood Warden xD.
Cfr last dev stream.
I don't have any flan on this killer and even if I had, I was way too close to the 1M limit to waste one.
There's one thing that should have autobans, but they shouldn't even require a report: People saying stuff that's already bannable in chat.
There's already a system ****ing chat messages. Don't even need some fancy and clever system trying to see context or whatever, I don't think that's very relevant if someone just straight up says the n-word or to off themselves. Just instantly apply the punishment they'd get for that behavior if reported + punished the old fashioned way.
For basically anything else it's not a good idea without some kinda wacky "cleverness" that I really don't want to leave in the hands of an automated system.
The chat currently censors Yun-Jin and Myers... I get what you're saying and I don't disagree but the filter would have to be flawless. I get censored all the time saying only nice things!
Oh yeah, for what I'm talking about it would have basically nothing to do with the system that's responsible for such gems, should've made that very very clear. Even if it would only be words that in absolutely no imaginable way can lead to a false ban, it would still catch out a surprising amount of clowns that just straight up type them in chat.
Ever since I got a 7 day ban in another game for a literal typo (tried to type ' Wow, that's big, look', and it turned into a racial slur), or saw major streamers in WoW getting folks chat banned via weaponized mass reporting, I don't want any sort of automated bans for language.
I don’t remember them saying this, do you have a link with a time stamp where they talked about it?
hell no.. do the legwork yourself. you only have roughly 9 streams to watch.
60m that's clearly a facecamp! 🤡
A quick Google search seems to point to a May 2021 timeframe.
The is also the matter of other languages. The are words written exactly the same as in English but having a very different meaning.
For that matter, one could be rude in many languages and get away with it.
I did search and I can’t find the quote. How about you do the legwork since you’re the one saying it happened?
P.S. I finally found a dev quote from over a year ago about them maybe automating parts of the ban system. If THAT’S what you’re talking about, why is this even a topic you’re bringing up today in June 2022? They gave no details at all in May 2021 other than they were in early stages of looking into automating the ban system somehow, they posted a followup or two later that mentioned they aren’t banning anybody without evidence, and that’s it. Whatever it was they talked about 13 months ago has presumably been scrapped.
Am I missing something they said more this month about it?
Yeah, I see people claiming they said players were going to be automatically banned, I’m not finding the devs actually saying players are going to be automatically banned. Where is the actual quote from the devs?
P.S. Finally found the notes from the 5th anniversary dev chat in May 2021 that seems to be where this is coming from. It looks like they mentioned something about kind of automating the ban system over a year ago and … that’s it. Nothing at all since then, no details at all other than whatever they were considering was under “early development”, and a follow up post or two clarifying they don’t ban people without evidence of wrongdoing.
So… why is this even a topic now in June 2022? It sure sounds like this was something that was scrapped if it was ever even considered on the table in the first place.
we all know killers will be mass reported, but we all know that
A player driven autoban system was in talks around 2 years ago, it got frozen because the comunity backlash was colossal, with a reason several games have shown player driven autobans are a massive blunder and abused nonstop.
Thing is BHVR has been trying to curb toxicity as of late, last surveys had a clear "what do you consider toxic and how does it affect your appeal to keep playing" theme on a lot of questions, they put EGC to force Survivors to get out and end Hatch standoff, implemented a chat filter, removed Leatherface masks and some other measures also not yet implemented are a way to get rid of camping and the last person get automoried to avoid 4 minute bleedouts, obviusly what they already put didnt do much and some people (myself included) believe if the next measures dont curb toxicity the next step will be an autoban system which would be a debacle, seeing how well the autofilter works.
The problem with autoban is that a massive portion of the playerbase overreact and call the most innocuous things "toxic".
For a majority of survivors mains, any form of camping or tunnelling, or even gameplay that isn't in any way camping or tunnelling, is camping and tunnelling and therefore harassment and griefing. Anyone playing Wraith, Hag, Spirit or Dredge is bound to be autobanned after a wave of 'griefing' reports are filed for them simply using their powers.
For some killers, simply teabagging is blasphemy and harassment, and using flashlights is griefing.
There are cases where any of these things can be used to grief, but it's not the majority of cases.
60m that's generous 😂
The comunity will abuse the system 100% guaranteed, with those systems a ban its not a matter of why? its a matter of when?, I have a coworker who plays LoL, he reports all his teammates before the game starts "just to be sure" and then when it ends he reports them again if he deems they did something reportable which is entirely subjective.
And not even overreactions to toxic, people will report literally for anything out of spite "you didnt save me against a camping Leatherface?" report, "you flashlight saved your teammate and I lost a hook?" report, you are using [insert perk]? report.