DbD Anniversary Event: The Prisoner's Dilemma And Survivor Groups Today...
Man, it's been a rough one.
First game - promising. Played normally, but it was clear that people wanted to get some BP, so I relaxed after killing one, (9 hooks), we farmed a little and I let them go.
The rest...oh man. One more was decent, but I had to sweat a bit and fortunately was on a killer I'm pretty comfortable on.
Two games with wall to wall DCs (apparently you bringing 4 flashlights makes bringing Lightborn a massive Masquerade faux pas).
Three games - I got mauled. Not because I couldn't have at least 2k'd if I'd gone all out (seriously, matchmaking is a bit borked right now with all the returning faces), but because I'd thrown on a silly build and went in with a 'let's have fun' mindset. By the time I realized that we weren't on the same page, it was too late to recover - and of course, I get teabagged and BMed.
As much as I love events like this, they really are spoiled by the dissonance between people who want to enjoy the event and get some BP/objectives done, and people who want to play normally.
Sigh. Fingers crossed for game 8.
Comments
Everybody has a different idea of fun and expecting others to want to play the way you want them to is silly.
Plus there's absolutely no reason to trust that a killer won't pretend to play for fun and then their end game build activates and they sacrifice everyone.
That's...a little paranoid. Plus, even if that were the case - you'd still have gotten plenty of BP from them playing for fun :).
Then you don't play survivor because killers do that ######### all the time. Maybe not the end game build but for sure pretend to play nice.
All the time?
Really?
I play survivor about as much as I do killer these days.
I'm not saying this never happens, but I will say that I've never seen it, either on my end or on the end of the streamers I watch. Not once.
Are you sure you aren't doing something to annoy them? I know that I'll pants a teabagger the first chance I get.
Not "all the time" but frequently enough where I'm weary of farming killers, especially during events. And no I don't teabag, I just put bags of flaming poop on their doorsteps.
This literally happened to me already today. The killer was pretty bad so we didn't actually get a lot of points as there was only one unhook to be done before all gens popped. The killer then pretends to farm. I seem the only one who is cautious... until he slugs three and goes after me too. I managed to get away and potentially worried about Unbreakables he picks up one of the survivors - the only person on death hook at that point. Luckily she had Decisive Strike. We managed to snowball from there and get all four people out but it was only by a hair!
Ya'll are scaring me lol. I'm still at work and haven't gotten to play Anniversary yet. :/
I'd stay out of it for now, at least until the matchmaking has a chance to account for all the new arrivals. It's...chaos.
But...you said 'all the time?'.
To be fair, I've literally encountered two 'farming' killers (in that they didn't play, they just wanted to farm BP) since I've started playing.
Yeah, that's unfortunate. Again, I'm not saying it never happens, but I'm saying that it's vanishingly rare in my experience - and letting a single bad experience with a person of a specific category make you treat other people of the same category poorly...that's the sort of thinking I try not to engage in.
Lolol, my buddy is playing it and giving back reports that it is really sweaty right now.
Yeah, it really is. Again, I'd hold off for a bit until things calm down. The game population literally doubled overnight, and it's not even the evening yet.
I've been having good games on both sides. I pulled off the coolest ######### with artist I've ever done which has nothing to do with the event but will be a fond memory
Its not paranoid at all, its reasonable to not trust the other side, never in all my time playing dbd have I trusted a single survivor thinking they will play fair, and its equally valid survivors trust no killer, event or not this is dbd I will not give any pity escapes because an event is active and I will not expect any pity kills because again.. an event is active.
I simply don't understand survivors. Everyone is bringing a cake and yet they still genrush just to leave the game with a meager score. I only was able to get a single hook, that's simply awful. Games like this are the reason why I don't wanna bring anniversary offerings into these events at all, they're simply wasted on these type of people.
That name XD.
Yes, this is about what I've been saying. Except it's more like 1 pudding, 1 further hook offering, 1 white ward and 1 map offering.
I haven't had a single "normal" match so far, it's just rampant genrushing while I'm playing a lowly m1 killer without metaperks. The experience is flatout abyssmal, you're literally being forced to either camp or pick Nurse/Blight with their meta builds.
Yeah, I'd give it a day or two for MMR to even out a little. It's...a bit insane right now. Going from complete newbies to 1500 hour monsters.
I agree on the BP part but one thing everyone hates is being made fools or the butt of someones joke. I like when I get plenty of BPs even if I end up dead but getting plenty of BPs and then feeling like someone played me like a fiddle... not so much, thats what happens with "le honest AFK daddy Myers... with Tombstone+Tuft" and "le funny farming memeing Wraith... with NOED+Blood Warden+No Way Out+Remember Me" builds.
Imagine you get out of your home to do groceries, some edgy super original youtuber tosses a cream pie at your face and then gives you a 20€ bill, says its a joke and its ok we are all friends here, I wouldnt like it very much, even if he handled me a 50€ bill, he can stick it in a place I wont say because I risk a ban.
Yes, and I corrected myself because I admit it was a bit of an exaggeration lol
No offense, but there's no indication of gen rushing here. There's no Prove Thyself and none of them even brought a toolbox. Whenever I play killer, I know it feels like 'gen rushing' as the gens seem to go super quick whilst you're in chase, but survivors simply being proactive and working on gens when not being chased/hooked isn't gen-rushing, it's them simply doing their objective.
I get that a 4 man SWF with spare parts and PT could be considered gen-rushing, but if survivors are optimal and do gens efficiently when there's not enough map pressure they can't really be criticized for gen-rushing. Other than the person mori'd by Rancor, those scores aren't even too bad (they're mediocre, sure, but trust me I've seen far lower scores) and once stacked with event offerings they would've all got fairly decent points
If the killer gets no hooks or only one hook, I try to encourage my group to start giving the killer free hooks at the end. It works sometimes and the killer goes along with it. Other times.. well we end up getting facecamped and the game goes downhill. You can never really trust that the killer wants the same thing, sometimes they take out their frustration on you. But I still try to give hooks occasionally if the killer has a bad game.. especially with 5 flan/cakes. But being friendly doesn't always pay off on either side
I don't treat anyone poorly. I'm just weary of killers suddenly wanting to farm when their match is going badly.😉 This was an anecdote, yes. But it's not an isolated incident, this does happen relatively frequently. I always try to stay in a situation where we can still get out if things get hairy, like making sure they don't get to slug everyone and I try to get all the totems as then brining NOED to catch the survivors who think we are farming off guard is a popular strategy.
I also don't understand why people do this as inflating your MMR that way should just lead to getting outmatched every single time?
As always, I must chime in for the devs in the back: separate the queues. Events only highlight the playstyle dissonance