Why do people care about "Good game manners"

Guys, who cares about what someone else says. If other people get under your skin because of "bad game manners" then maybe you shouldn't be playing dead by daylight. Something is "toxic" if you make it toxic. I saw a recent post that was like "I got stomped and someone said gg. bad game manners." Like how on earth is that bad game manners. Saying GG is very respectful no matter the end results. The sensitivity of people these days astonish me. It's just a video game! Ive played this game since huntress release and there is not 1 time where I was toxified (If that's a word) by someone trying to make me mad. I get frustrated if i can't catch a good survivor in a chase, but I have never gotten frusterated when someone was trying to intentionally be toxic towards me. I just don't get "game manners." You play the gameand do what you can to win, and at the end you say GG, and on to the next match. It's that simple.

Comments

  • @Ruma said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2977953#Comment_2977953

    Ah yes, if someone tells me to die, they are not toxic, i am just too soft.

    You didn't even read what I said I clearly said thats wrong in my post so "Ah yes" maybe you should learn to read before you type.

  • @toxik_survivor said:

    Guys, who cares about what someone else says. If other people get under your skin because of "bad game manners" then maybe you shouldn't be playing dead by daylight. Something is "toxic" if you make it toxic. I saw a recent post that was like "I got stomped and someone said gg. bad game manners." Like how on earth is that bad game manners. Saying GG is very respectful no matter the end results. The sensitivity of people these days astonish me. It's just a video game! Ive played this game since huntress release and there is not 1 time where I was toxified (If that's a word) by someone trying to make me mad. I get frustrated if i can't catch a good survivor in a chase, but I have never gotten frusterated when someone was trying to intentionally be toxic towards me. I just don't get "game manners." You play the gameand do what you can to win, and at the end you say GG, and on to the next match. It's that simple.

    ...What did I just read?

    But okay, let's try.

    When people talk about being toxic, they aren't talking about someone saying 'GG' (where did you find this, by the way? I've literally never seen someone complaining about this in DbD). 'GG' or 'GGWP' is mostly just a reflex (I know that GLHF and GGWP were standard in my SC2 days). If someone's upset about that, then yes - a bit thin skinned.

    However, there are certain things that are unambiguously toxic. Flashlight spamming, for example - obvious reasons. Teabagging from the exit gates, especially when you know you lucked out with the map or got mismatched, is pretty damn toxic.

    See - it's easy to forget that you're playing against real people.

    @Thusly_Boned said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2978105#Comment_2978105

    It's boundary aggression; like a dog that will bark and bark at another dog so long as there is a fence between them. Except with the online world it's even worse, since you don't have any tangible sense of other people as actual people, just names and avatars. It allows people to act with relative impunity, and often without the sense they've actually done anything to anyone, or of any repercussions.

    Boundary aggression. That's such a useful term.

    @toxik_survivor said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2977951#Comment_2977951

    I'm sorry bro if people feel that they are getting bullied through a video game then they need to really check their mental state out. And MMR is the reason new players are leaving. If a new player actually went against a new player then this game would be much better population wise.

    No, I think that being annoyed at people being nasty is a natural, human response and it comes down to realizing that you're playing with/against actual people.

    I really dislike this trend of 'oh hey, someone went out of the way to be obnoxious, but it's your fault for getting annoyed, not theirs for annoying you'.

    MMR isn't perfect, but it's miles better than SBMM was.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2978502#Comment_2978502

    "video game courtesy and respect is so much differnt to irl."

    This is where I would disagree. How someone conducts themself while "anonymous" and how they treat someone they don't know online is usually a good indicator as to how they are in real life.

    Just to be clear I am talking about people displaying actual toxic behavior. Not a survivor writing GG to a killer who got no kills.

    Agreed.

    How you act towards other people when there are no rewards for being nice and no punishments for being awful is a genuine indicator of your true nature.

    @shalo said:

    Most game Devs have realised that the toxic arsehole demographic, while huge, is not enough to sustain a modern game. BHVR hasn't quite got that memo yet.

    Yup. I've been saying this for a while.

    I'm no snowflake, but I do think that having a good community tends to retain people, and having a toxic mess of a community tends to drive people away.

    LoL is a good example of a game that realized this - legendarily awful community, Riot introduced the Tribunal and the Summoner Code, and within a few months it was night and day.

    Look at WoW, for another example. Horrible community that was left to fester for a decade. A ton of people jumped ship for FF, which has a legendarily awesome community, partially because it's slightly overmoderated. Now WoW is instituting a 'social contract', much like LoL's 'Summoner Code'.

  • @toxik_survivor said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2977928#Comment_2977928

    Don't get me started on leather face skins lmao. that was just ridiculous.

    Mmm no, nope, nah, non, nein, ochi, nee, nej

  • @legacycolt said:

    Saying GG after you camped every single survivor and tunneled for early 3v1 is definitely toxic.

    Saying GG even after you got stomped is respectful.

    There are differences

    If you’re offended by someone saying they thought it was a good game that’s a reflection on you, not them.

    Also “tunneling” is a meaningless buzzword, nobody even agrees on what it is let alone it being something unfair or unsportsmanlike.

  • @dugman said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2978384#Comment_2978384

    If you’re offended by someone saying they thought it was a good game that’s a reflection on you, not them.

    Also “tunneling” is a meaningless buzzword, nobody even agrees on what it is let alone it being something unfair or unsportsmanlike.

    Dude.. or dudette idk.

    Ive had many people on PlayStation write me gg after they killed me and I know 100% it’s meant to rub their victory in my face. There are definitely people out there that write gg for toxic reasons. I’m not saying everyone is like that, but a good portion is, considering how toxic this community is in general.

  • @legacycolt said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2978932#Comment_2978932

    Dude.. or dudette idk.

    Ive had many people on PlayStation write me gg after they killed me and I know 100% it’s meant to rub their victory in my face. There are definitely people out there that write gg for toxic reasons. I’m not saying everyone is like that, but a good portion is, considering how toxic this community is in general.

    Again, sounds more like something in your head about other people saying they thought it was a fun match when you lost.

  • @dugman said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2978985#Comment_2978985

    Again, sounds more like something in your head about other people saying they thought it was a fun match when you lost.

    No you’re wrong. But hey, you don’t need to believe me. Have a nice day!

  • @legacycolt said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2978932#Comment_2978932

    Dude.. or dudette idk.

    Ive had many people on PlayStation write me gg after they killed me and I know 100% it’s meant to rub their victory in my face. There are definitely people out there that write gg for toxic reasons. I’m not saying everyone is like that, but a good portion is, considering how toxic this community is in general.

    Eh. If the player was overtly nasty during the match (like nodding and hitting on hook, shaking head at every down, faking hatch, bleeding people out - not strategic things like camping/tunneling, but stuff that's only done for BM) and they say GG at the end, that's probably mocking and you're better off not responding and moving on. But someone who throttles you in a typical game and says GG? I doubt they're intending anything bad by it - GG is just a rote thing to say and they're following the script.

  • @Laluzi said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2978985#Comment_2978985

    Eh. If the player was overtly nasty during the match (like nodding and hitting on hook, shaking head at every down, faking hatch, bleeding people out - not strategic things like camping/tunneling, but stuff that's only done for BM) and they say GG at the end, that's probably mocking and you're better off not responding and moving on. But someone who throttles you in a typical game and says GG? I doubt they're intending anything bad by it - GG is just a rote thing to say and they're following the script.

    That’s what I mean. I wish I could take it back because I confused people.

  • It's a game, just remain polite that's all.

    But yeah people think the other side saying "good game" after stomping you is them rubbing it in your face.. it's not, they're just being polite.

    Had a match the other night vs this group that all had flashlights (along with the macro to make them click super fast) and a shitload of double chance perks, and all they did was try to get flashlight saves at the worst angles possible, either when being picked up, or baiting locker grabs. I ended up killing 3/4, 4th one got lucky on the hatch spawn otherwise they were dead as well. It was a frustrating match, but at the same time, it was so fun because I knew there was always one of them around me at all times (to be fair, they only did 1 gen super early on then all 4 were around) so I'd slug as much as possible before trying to hook someone, but they all had unbreakable and other perks to pick themselves up all the time. The endgame chat was wholesome, everyone had lots of fun.

    So just make the best of it, be polite to others, don't be a dick on purpose in-game, or at least remain civil about it at the endchat. And if someone's being a dick, it's a game, just move on to the next match, chances are you'll never play with them again.

1 2 ›