This game sure would be better if the playerbase wasn't at least half the problem

TL;DR - Quality of games can start with the players, and how they choose to play and act. So stop being a bunch of tryhard, jerks to one another, and try to make the game as enjoyable as possible. Players are quitting steadily, and there's a ton of reasons for it. But the crappy playerbase with a poor attitude is the massive cherry on top. MMR is hidden, we don't get rewards for 'doing super good', so what are we all trying to prove here? That you can escape with a SWF using Boons, Prove Thyself, and Dead Hard? That you can get a sweaty 4K playing with 4 slowdown perks and tunneling everyone? Everyone needs to chill the hell out.


Every patch introduces some new bullcrap that we can't avoid or do anything about. Last two patches have brought in even more audio, visual, and optimization bugs. Rubberbanding, getting stuck in animations (vaulting, doing a generator, etc.), totem spawns you literally can't even get to.


As the players we have no control over those things, but we sure as hell can make it a little easier on one another by not acting like complete asshats to one another. The Developers aren't making us play like jerks or act like jerks, we are actively choosing to be that way. BM'ing other players, toxic chat, playing like a sweatlord when it gives you 0 rewards...everyone needs to chill.


Like man, it sure does suck someone DC'd for no reason! But maybe as the Killer you shouldn't tunnel someone out of the game immediately, or slug for a 3K. Like, I get it, the game is practically over in a 3v1 with 5 gens up, and I don't expect a farm game (I actually prefer no farm game), but holy cow, do you really have to make the experience even more unbearable for the people who stayed in the game?


I sincerely don't understand what this playerbase wants or is trying to accomplish. We don't even get rewards for 'being super awesome and good at the game', because it's all the same thing, and people can't even see what our MMR rating is. Hell, we can't even see our own. So what do we all have to prove here?

Comments

  • DBD players when people want to try:

  • @SuzuKR said:

    DBD players when people want to try:

    People want to try what? Making the game more miserable for everyone? Lol

  • @SensualPotato said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2948831#Comment_2948831

    People want to try what? Making the game more miserable for everyone? Lol

    Doing their best to try and win? Why do you think people are obligated to follow your arbitrary standards? BMing and being toxic in chat is stupid and unnecessary. There's absolutely nothing wrong with playing as seriously as possible. Get over it.

  • Play chill so I can have easier time beating you.

    Nice try.

  • @Shaped said:

    Play chill so I can have easier time beating you.

    Nice try.

    I really like the irony.

  • i believe that the community is 80% of the problem the game has but "try harding" is not the problem

  • @Yatol said:

    i believe that the community is 80% of the problem the game has but "try harding" is not the problem

    Yeah, I mean, that's my point pretty much. The issue isn't people wanting to win, the issue is how they act and treat one another. People can escape with stupid perks, I do it constantly, but I respect the Killer. I get 3-4Ks quite often while playing Killers like Trapper with only Corrupt Intervention as my slowdown perk. Otzdarva is actively getting 4Ks constantly while only running 3 random perks on a variety of Killers. Anyone can play well, while not being a total asslord in the process.

  • PS4/PS4 Pro/PS5 with Crossplay ALWAYS OFF.

    Get rid of the super tryhard/HACKERS PC players/EPIC Gamestore BOTS, and the Waaa I D/C every other match XBOX/SWITCH players.

    Life is GOOD! 135 MILLION USER base and still GROWING!

  • @SuzuKR said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2948840#Comment_2948840

    Doing their best to try and win? Why do you think people are obligated to follow your arbitrary standards? BMing and being toxic in chat is stupid and unnecessary. There's absolutely nothing wrong with playing as seriously as possible. Get over it.

    Yeah, but what are you proving to anyone or yourself by being super serious in a game like DBD? My post isn't just about people tryharding, it's about all interactions between the playerbase. No one can see your skillrating, no one cares who you are, and you aren't even rewarded by the developers for it. So why add to the problem?

  • What problem???

    You act like trying to kill or escape is try harding when it is literally the objective of the game.

    What is it exactly you are trying to tell people.. that they should do with the game they bought? Slow down doing gens?? Only chase x amount of time?? How about you play whatever way gives you enjoyment and let others do the same? If you are not enjoying the matches you can either adapt and find a way to enjoy them or simply play something different. You telling people HOW they should play is just silly to say the least. Aside from you trying to tell people how they should play - I don't see the point of your post.

  • @SensualPotato said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2948900#Comment_2948900

    Yeah, I mean, that's my point pretty much. The issue isn't people wanting to win, the issue is how they act and treat one another. People can escape with stupid perks, I do it constantly, but I respect the Killer. I get 3-4Ks quite often while playing Killers like Trapper with only Corrupt Intervention as my slowdown perk. Otzdarva is actively getting 4Ks constantly while only running 3 random perks on a variety of Killers. Anyone can play well, while not being a total asslord in the process.

    Yes you can have more chill games as killer during evenings in EU.

  • @Leatherface1990 said:

    PS4/PS4 Pro/PS5 with Crossplay ALWAYS OFF.

    Get rid of the super tryhard/HACKERS PC players/EPIC Gamestore BOTS, and the Waaa I D/C every other match XBOX/SWITCH players.

    Life is GOOD! 135 MILLION USER base and still GROWING!

    I'm on ps5 and when I turn crossplay off it literally takes 30 minutes to find a killer game though.

  • Nice troll post. Failed.

  • The core problem comes from players being conditioned to think they are better or worse than they really are.

  • The problem is not that people are trying to win in a PVP game. The problem is that half of the playerbase finds the sweaty part fun, half of the playerbase hates it, and BHVR has a one-size-fits-all matchmaking system that pleases neither of those camps. It's that they won't even try another solution like a ranked mode to take some of the sweat out of casual games. When you try to please everyone with a single solution, you please nobody.

  • The current meta forces people to play in such a way.

    Gens are pointless for killers to interact with, as regression is easily stopped. The best way to regress gens is to kill survs.

    The best way to kill survs is tunnel/camp.

    Then survs react to the best way to survive is with x,y,z perks or to gen rush, and thus the cycle goes on.

    Until there is some game play changes, the current meta will continue.

    Other's have their own definition of fun, i enjoy completing challenges, but if that means i have to be ruthless and stomp survs to do so, im not concerned at all. Just as it is for survs who have challenges, *im looking at you head on challenges*.

  • Imagine trying to shame people for trying to win in a game. What is hard to grasp about that concept? Why wouldn't you try?

    Who says people are trying to prove something, they are simply doing their best to play. Why would you play to lose?

  • @Bladeisbest said:

    The core problem comes from players being conditioned to think they are better or worse than they really are.

    That's definitely part of it; the vague nature of the ranking system leads to a whole lot of Dunning-Krueger style misjudging of their own level. It's easy for people to think they are better than they are, and most do. And what that leads to is people needing to externalize blame when they don't win.

    I don't play a ton of online games, but I have never seen a player base so full of people who cannot accept failure as this one.

    One of the other reasons for that is that there are no universal win conditions, everything is subjective. It's beyond asymmetrical, everything is open to personal interpretation. I think that's intentional, as at its core, DBD is a casual game. But that people play it like it isn't is also a huge part of the problem.

    Don't get me wrong, I like to win for sure. If I could escape or 4K every game, I would. But I won't sweat over it like it proves anything. But I also won't shame people who play that way, even if it seems silly to me.

  • DBD is a poorly balanced mess, it's not the player's fault for using what's available.

  • @Thusly_Boned said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2948983#Comment_2948983

    That's definitely part of it; the vague nature of the ranking system leads to a whole lot of Dunning-Krueger style misjudging of their own level. It's easy for people to think they are better than they are, and most do. And what that leads to is people needing to externalize blame when they don't win.

    I don't play a ton of online games, but I have never seen a player base so full of people who cannot accept failure as this one.

    One of the other reasons for that is that there are no universal win conditions, everything is subjective. It's beyond asymmetrical, everything is open to personal interpretation. I think that's intentional, as at its core, DBD is a casual game. But that people play it like it isn't is also a huge part of the problem.

    Don't get me wrong, I like to win for sure. If I could escape or 4K every game, I would. But I won't sweat over it like it proves anything. But I also won't shame people who play that way, even if it seems silly to me.

    I completely agree with that. DBD is also the first online game I have encountered that seems to have this mental ailment in the community.

  • @SensualPotato said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2948900#Comment_2948900

    Yeah, I mean, that's my point pretty much. The issue isn't people wanting to win, the issue is how they act and treat one another. People can escape with stupid perks, I do it constantly, but I respect the Killer. I get 3-4Ks quite often while playing Killers like Trapper with only Corrupt Intervention as my slowdown perk. Otzdarva is actively getting 4Ks constantly while only running 3 random perks on a variety of Killers. Anyone can play well, while not being a total asslord in the process.

    You heard it here folks. Playing seriously is "being a total asslord", just cause you're not following this random nobody's arbitrary expectations they force on others.

    @SensualPotato said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2948849#Comment_2948849

    Yeah, but what are you proving to anyone or yourself by being super serious in a game like DBD? My post isn't just about people tryharding, it's about all interactions between the playerbase. No one can see your skillrating, no one cares who you are, and you aren't even rewarded by the developers for it. So why add to the problem?

    Like I said. DBD players when people want to try:

    Maybe get over yourself and quit being entitled and judgmental over trying to police how other people play.