Tunneling is fair

Tunneling is just a different word for chasing. Seriously, let's break this down... The Killer's job is to chase, down, hook, and kill survivors. The survivor's job is to do gens and escape.

If a Killer/ Attacker is chasing you in real life, what are you going to do? Turn around, wag your finger and say, "Hey! Quit tunneling me, you trash Killer!" Really... be sure to detail how that goes for you.

Killers chase, it's what they do. Personally, I don't target any Survivor for any reason other than being in my line of sight at the time. Maybe I noticed that you don't have any speed perks, making you an easier target. Maybe I noticed that you don't have a flashlight (or vice versa). If you're playing the game, you are a viable target and free-game.

Comments

  • @Kaitsja said:

    I feel like everyone naturally assumes tunneling is the most efficient strategy because their favourite streamer does it.

    Tunneling is boring, but it can also be a double-edged sword. Sure, you'll guarantee yourself a 1k by EGC, but you'll lose all five gens and the exit gate by fixating on a single survivor. If you don't pressure the other survivors, you're walking away with a 1k which really isn't efficient.

    I do not believe there is a player in this game who will tell you that tunneling efficiently means ignoring the macro state of that match. Most people who use tunneling are using it as a power play when they see an opportunity present itself that wouldn't exist without tunneling.

    Not so they can leave the game with a 1-2k EGC

  • @foxsansbox said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2953821#Comment_2953821

    I do not believe there is a player in this game who will tell you that tunneling efficiently means ignoring the macro state of that match. Most people who use tunneling are using it as a power play when they see an opportunity present itself that wouldn't exist without tunneling.

    Not so they can leave the game with a 1-2k EGC

    Nobody will say tunneling efficiently means ignoring the macro state of the match, because that wouldn't be efficient.

    My point was that the statement that tunneling is efficient is usually taken quite literally, and people aren't really thinking about when it stops being efficient.

    So many matches where the killer tries to tunnel the first hooked person out of the game early only for them to still be alive with only one gen left, and the killer has no kills yet. Just feel like it needs to be said more often that tunneling isn't always efficient.

  • @Kaitsja said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2953863#Comment_2953863

    Nobody will say tunneling efficiently means ignoring the macro state of the match, because that wouldn't be efficient.

    My point was that the statement that tunneling is efficient is usually taken quite literally, and people aren't really thinking about when it stops being efficient.

    So many matches where the killer tries to tunnel the first hooked person out of the game early only for them to still be alive with only one gen left, and the killer has no kills yet. Just feel like it needs to be said more often that tunneling isn't always efficient.

    Can we just focus on your first sentence? That is exactly what they do. Skilled players will come in here and say, "At high MMR you have to tunnel. This is X,Y,Z reasons as to why, these are the scenarios it needs to happen.

    To which the immediate response is some knee-jerk "Hurr-Durr, Tunneling is bad you lose more kills than you get. Poor sportsmanship wah survivors will DC you'll win but you'll get like 3 hooks."

    Those against tunneling will immediately reframe their scenarios to ignore the macro and paint the tactic either as scummy or as a net detriment to the killer, forgetting the whole purpose of tunneling is to create pressure. Meanwhile, ask any proponent of tunneling to elaborate and they will immediately detail WHEN it should be used. Not that it should ALWAYS be used.

    I feel my original response is necessary.

  • @xBlitzAce1989x said:

    Tunneling is just a different word for chasing. Seriously, let's break this down... The Killer's job is to chase, down, hook, and kill survivors. The survivor's job is to do gens and escape.

    If a Killer/ Attacker is chasing you in real life, what are you going to do? Turn around, wag your finger and say, "Hey! Quit tunneling me, you trash Killer!" Really... be sure to detail how that goes for you.

    Killers chase, it's what they do. Personally, I don't target any Survivor for any reason other than being in my line of sight at the time. Maybe I noticed that you don't have any speed perks, making you an easier target. Maybe I noticed that you don't have a flashlight (or vice versa). If you're playing the game, you are a viable target and free-game.

    It’s fair, just not any fun for the survivor. I think we all play the game for fun. I don’t expect to escape most matches, but if I’ve had a chance to do gens, saves, heals, chases and still don’t make the escape then that was worth the effort of waiting for a game and I’ve had some fun. Getting tunneled by killers who immediately return to the hook is not fun at all.

  • @Deathstroke said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/322373/tunneling-is-fair

    And then you wonder why everyone use borrowed time, dead hard, desicive strike and unbreakable. Tunneling is actually bad tactics if others just do gens and are free from pressure. Tunneling is only really viable if you do it fast and others don't work on gens and come to help. Personally I don't tunnel but I can hook sometimes someone twice in a row but im not that cruel to kill them immediatelly after that thought. Better stragedy is to tunnel 2 survivors same time but it's harder to pull off.

    You understand that taking some one out of the game is an insane amount of pressure right? 4v1 vs 3v1 is a totally different dynamic.

1 2 ›