Everyone is mad and so am i

Everyone on Twitter is upset with David being gay, and as a gay man so am I. Don't just get someone who we've know for years and be like " oh btw he gay" just for representation. Make someone new who is gay but also has a personality. Yall done ######### up

Comments

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2924787#Comment_2924787

    Considering the absolute outrage at someone possibly being gay, yes we're going to talk about it

    "Considering the absolute outrage..."

    and this is the problem i have with, i can not understand why

  • @Fraudette said:

    I think either way it would have had some turbulence; a new character would feel just as forced, I think? Because regardless as to whether or not they had a personality, it'd be overshadowed by "they're gay", and it wouldn't feel any more natural. I worry that it might become a matter of "Selling sexuality", where the new character is unintentionally marketed to be The Gay One (tm), even if they had a cool personality. People would ignore that in favor of choosing their side on whether or not BHVR maliciously hid their representation behind a paywall.

    But I do understand the frustrations about a well-known character being gay, even if I'm in favor of it. It's definitely a shock, and hard to adjust to if you've already grown accustomed to the character. You definitely have a right to be upset, since you're the very demographic they're trying to represent. I wonder what would have been done different in this circumstance; it feels like a lose-lose scenario. :( Maybe introduce the new character and ease into it with an accompanying tome, sort of like they're doing with David, but with a cleaner slate?

    Honestly I would have no problem with David being gay, its the fact that they had to make a post about. They had to go out of the way for it. They just had to say look here's your gay character. If they would have just left the tome and not make a post it Honestly would have been better and not seem forced

  • @IsJustMe said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2924793#Comment_2924793

    "Considering the absolute outrage..."

    and this is the problem i have with, i can not understand why

    Me neither and yet here we are so until this outrage dies down it's gay gay homosexual gay for 3/4 of my comments

  • @BreadLord said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2924797#Comment_2924797

    Honestly I would have no problem with David being gay, its the fact that they had to make a post about. They had to go out of the way for it. They just had to say look here's your gay character. If they would have just left the tome and not make a post it Honestly would have been better and not seem forced

    Now that you mention it, I think if they left it in the tome it would have been a pretty interesting idea. The post definitely sensationalizes it a bit, kind of like a massive signal to everyone that HEY! HE'S GAY! Even if that wasn't their intent.

    Maybe they'll do that moving forward? :0 I can't imagine making a huge post every time a new queer character is released where they grab a megaphone and spread the word, haha. It'd get old and offensive pretty fast.

  • @Fraudette said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2924805#Comment_2924805

    Now that you mention it, I think if they left it in the tome it would have been a pretty interesting idea. The post definitely sensationalizes it a bit, kind of like a massive signal to everyone that HEY! HE'S GAY! Even if that wasn't their intent.

    Maybe they'll do that moving forward? :0 I can't imagine making a huge post every time a new queer character is released where they grab a megaphone and spread the word, haha. It'd get old and offensive pretty fast.

    Ikr, imagine them saying hey here's a heterosexual male.. it just dosnt seem right to announce those kinds of things

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    You're all like "Ugh they Jk Rowling'd it" NO TF THEY DID NOT

    Dumbledoor was made gay to please the terrible people she surrounded herself with and it was given absolutely NO canon confirmation until Fantastic Beasts 2. David was confirmed to help represent a portion of the gay community and, here's the important bit, has canon evidence to support his being gay. I've read the lore, it's really well done and explains why it's not a retcon.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2924663#Comment_2924663

    They could literally only represent one type of person. You don't want a masculine gay but also not an effeminate gay because that'd be a stereotype so, what? You want the void? Give them time to help show more than a singular character because now they've taken the big step everything else can be integrated so much easier.

    Good grief

    I want more effeminate gays in video games because there are only muscle men like David and Soldat, im tired.

    It just shows how straight world saw us : gay masculine ok, feminine gay gross 🤮

  • @Anara said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2924544#Comment_2924544

    Thats what happened to my thread saying making David gay instead of creating a new character is a mistake.

    They just closed my thread saying I made an argument and not a discussion. They also said "everybody should enjoy our first step into this direction".

    Your thread was closed because other LGBT people countered your points perfectly and your response was to mald at them and proclaim that only you were capable of understanding True Queer Culture


    It wasn't very productive

  • Don't just get someone who we've know for years and be like " oh btw he gay" just for representation.

    Isn't this the definition of "Coming out"?

    Make someone new who is gay but also has a personality.

    So you're saying that David King now doesn't have a personality of his own? Or are you complaining that his personality is not completely based on his sexual preferences? Because creating a new character and having their backstory completely based on the fact that they are part of the LGBT+ community would feel more like an "empty" token character just for the sake of having representation IMO

  • @Aneurysm said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2924549#Comment_2924549

    Your thread was closed because other LGBT people countered your points perfectly and your response was to mald at them and proclaim that only you were capable of understanding True Queer Culture

    It wasn't very productive

    No they just did gaysexism towards effeminate gay saying it was a stereotype, so yes I was very angry.

    They didnt made a point at all 😂

  • @Anara said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2924703#Comment_2924703

    I want more effeminate gays in video games because there are only muscle men like David and Soldat, im tired.

    It just shows how straight world saw us : gay masculine ok, feminine gay gross 🤮

    That's not how the world sees feminine gay men. At least not the quiet majority of the western world, sadly there will always be the vocal minority screaming about how we're a disgrace or whatever else they wanna say lmao

    Sincerely, a feminine gay man.

  • @PeaceNGrease said:

    Sorry to derail, but what's wrong with J.K. Rowling again?

    Huge terf

  • @Anara said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2924890#Comment_2924890

    No they just did gaysexism towards effeminate gay saying it was a stereotype, so yes I was very angry.

    They didnt made a point at all 😂

    Right except plenty of people contesting your points made clear they were fem themselves but you opted to ignore that and mald further as it didn't help your argument

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2924887#Comment_2924887

    That's not how the world sees feminine gay men. At least not the quiet majority of the western world, sadly there will always be the vocal minority screaming about how we're a disgrace or whatever else they wanna say lmao

    Sincerely, a feminine gay man.

    I dont know in which country you live, but here in France, if you are too effeminate straight people and even gay people dont like you, I had to stop doing my makeup because Im too scared.

  • @Anara said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2924920#Comment_2924920

    I dont know in which country you live, but here in France, if you are too effeminate straight people and even gay people dont like you, I had to stop doing my makeup because Im too scared.

    England. It's gotten much better in recent years because growing up it was genuinely horrific, but now there's a lot more tolerance for everyone except trans people here. Can't comment exactly but apparently Germany is decent for it too. North of the USA and Canada too, apparently, but England is the only one I can properly fully speak on.

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2924930#Comment_2924930

    England. It's gotten much better in recent years because growing up it was genuinely horrific, but now there's a lot more tolerance for everyone except trans people here. Can't comment exactly but apparently Germany is decent for it too. North of the USA and Canada too, apparently, but England is the only one I can properly fully speak on.

    Yes I went to London many times and I love seeing effeminate guys with makeup in the Street and nobody cares.

    In France, even in Paris (I live in a small City so its even worse) everybody look at you like you are an animal or a monster.

  • As part of the LGBT community all I have to say is: Why does it matter? Why do we need to know the sexuality of characters only in the game to be killed? Does him, or someone new, being gay change the game in any way what-so-ever? No.

    I can agree that it seems lazy to just turn an existing character gay for the sake of representation, but people have been hounding BHVR about this non-issue for years so I don't blame them for just going "Alright just make David gay so we can move on from this."

    As sad as it may sound, having a blatantly gay character in the game would just have people playing them get targeted for that reason alone by hateful people. Some are being targeted already for using the Pride charms.

    If the characters were more than just a husk for the player, the same as any other survivor at the core, it might have mattered but in a game like this it just makes no sense to put any weight on the character's sexuality. Unless they wanna use it as a story beat for how they ended up in the fog. Which in the end doesn't affect the gameplay in any way.

  • I'm a trans bi man and I also thought the announcement was kind of... cringe?

    It looked more like they were outing him as gay instead, he should be the one giving us some kind of hint about it in the tome/archives.

  • All I'll say is, it can be weird for companies to make one of their characters gay just because. There is a certain "why?" factor when we know that more than likely David was never originally meant to be gay.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2924784#Comment_2924784

    I think i expressed my self wrongly, the representation was not the thing i ment to put in question. I ment to question that the person tought it was wrong to make David be the one to representate the LGBT+

    In which case, I apologise (please accept this tiny dog as my apology)

    20220427_095615.jpg


  • @BreadLord said:

    Everyone on Twitter is upset with David being gay, and as a gay man so am I. Don't just get someone who we've know for years and be like " oh btw he gay" just for representation. Make someone new who is gay but also has a personality. Yall done ######### up

    so you and a handful of others don't agree, which means that "everyone" is mad? were you decided the royal ruler of all gay men? do you get to decide what fictional character does or doesn't qualify as gay?

    you don't? you're just another random person with an unsolicited opinion on the internet? well, sucks to suck huh?

    get over it.

1 2 ›