How do you play Trapper these days?

My past games, whenever I pick Trapper, I feel like it's bully simulator or something.

I set up few traps (usualy not into super obvious spots, unless it's no-grass map), still 80% gets found even in the early game. Then I maybe catch like 3-4 people on a hook and exits are open. "gg ezi". It's also quite rare to catch someone in a trap and when they do, there is like 50% chance they are far away for me and they get rescued from the trap in like 3 seconds.

In another words, he feels like M1 Killer, almost no power at all that eats some time in the early game = ezi gens.

I don't know what to do with him. Does anyone feel similar or is it just me being "super unlucky" or "get gut" or something.

Comments

  • @Chocolate_Cosmos said:

    My past games, whenever I pick Trapper, I feel like it's bully simulator or something.

    I set up few traps (usualy not into super obvious spots, unless it's no-grass map), still 80% gets found even in the early game. Then I maybe catch like 3-4 people on a hook and exits are open. "gg ezi". It's also quite rare to catch someone in a trap and when they do, there is like 50% chance they are far away for me and they get rescued from the trap in like 3 seconds.

    In another words, he feels like M1 Killer, almost no power at all that eats some time in the early game = ezi gens.

    I don't know what to do with him. Does anyone feel similar or is it just me being "super unlucky" or "get gut" or something.

    I use his to farm for challenges and then let everyone escape

  • He’s not an easy killer with good survivors.


    you can play like you’re a survivor and trap pathways you might take and common hiding spots on various maps

    you can go for a basement trapper build.

    you can go home-field trapper and really double down on an area with three tight knit gens.

    fun fact, survivors rarely check both sides of a downed pallet for some reason.

    I have a lot of fun playing with agitation, iron grasp, and play with your food.

    eruption goes good with the purple add on that downs survivors when they free themselves. Make a meme build around that. It can actually confuse non swf players it seems.

  • The only way that Trapper works for me is using a Devour Hope build and playing defending the totem. 

    Corrupt Intervention, Devour Hope, Thanatophobia and Deadlock are my go to.

    Trap the totem, areas around it and let the party begin. It works quite often!

  • @Chocolate_Cosmos said:

    My past games, whenever I pick Trapper, I feel like it's bully simulator or something.

    I set up few traps (usualy not into super obvious spots, unless it's no-grass map), still 80% gets found even in the early game. Then I maybe catch like 3-4 people on a hook and exits are open. "gg ezi". It's also quite rare to catch someone in a trap and when they do, there is like 50% chance they are far away for me and they get rescued from the trap in like 3 seconds.

    In another words, he feels like M1 Killer, almost no power at all that eats some time in the early game = ezi gens.

    I don't know what to do with him. Does anyone feel similar or is it just me being "super unlucky" or "get gut" or something.

    I see them played a lot like basement bubba. Iron Grasp + Agitation. Trap the basement then stick one survivor down there. Most vets don't really care about escaping anymore and would rather just go for the altruistic play as it's more fun.

  • I feel the same, Macmillan & Coldwind have the most dense grass, but survivor still able to disarm them left & right, I just cant understand.

    I tried to set Graphic to Low, which disable shadow, which grass no more cast shadow down and traps are easier to be seen, but still not that easy for me.

  • I mainly put his traps out to block vaults, usually on a side I think the survivor is less likely to see from the outside. That way unless they go out of their way to remove the trap that vault is no good to the survivor in a chase. Even if they see a trap blocking a window during a chase that's fine because it means they're not vaulting through it.

  • @Chocolate_Cosmos said:

    My past games, whenever I pick Trapper, I feel like it's bully simulator or something.

    I set up few traps (usualy not into super obvious spots, unless it's no-grass map), still 80% gets found even in the early game. Then I maybe catch like 3-4 people on a hook and exits are open. "gg ezi". It's also quite rare to catch someone in a trap and when they do, there is like 50% chance they are far away for me and they get rescued from the trap in like 3 seconds.

    In another words, he feels like M1 Killer, almost no power at all that eats some time in the early game = ezi gens.

    I don't know what to do with him. Does anyone feel similar or is it just me being "super unlucky" or "get gut" or something.

    that's the neat part: you don't!

    jokes aside, i can think only a single way how to use trapper effectively nowdays... basement build

  • Tbh Trapper is better nowdays since you have now WAY more and better anti gen perks, the problem with back then when you just had pop and ruin, yes ruin was kinda okey but still, trapper didnt had a consistent slowdown which means once your pressure is gone one time, its basicly impossible to recover, you have to get atleast a 1k once you build up your snowball.

    However nowdays you have stuff like no way out, dead lock, scourched hook pain resonance which helps you alot with gen pressure without you requiring to walk up to gens which means you can concentrate more on placing traps.

    Many ppl often to forget that new perks that especially shift up the meta also change the power levels of some Killers.

  • Thats the neat thing, you don't.

  • Honing stone is a MUST. Literally unplayable without this add-on. I do not care. Having someone get trapped and escape in 2 attempts is horrible and it happens way more than it should. Use it. I also don't find much use in trying to slow down gens, so I don't try. I use bloodwarden. Run an endgame build or use endgame perks. Works well enough for me. Be clever with your traps. There comes a point where you learn how survivors path themselves. Put traps in those paths. Hell place an obvious trap somewhere as a decoy and then place another nearby to catch them off guard. Get a little creative.

    It's trapper though. Don't expect much every game.

  • As Trapper you have much more ways to play than every other killer. Hes the sort of killer that needs strategic thinking. If you dont have that skill playing trapper is a pretty bad experience. But you can do so much different mindgames. You can cut off loops by plainly blocking them with your traps, building your loadout around pallets or vault blocks. Or you can be smart and set up traps at places where you can chase them into. Its harder to anticipate a trap at a point where no vault is located, but survivors are likely to run around to cut distance. Or you play Basement Trapper, or 3gen Trapper (even though saving up the most possible 3 gen is always a good thing, cause survivors have to go out of their way or get trapped). But you have to learn when to placce traps.

    And the best thing at trapper is: you learn to let go of gens. A skill that most players at this forum obviously never acquire by just playing as easymode jerk.

  • While learning Trapper and getting good with him, I've found that specifically locking down three gens at the start of the match (+ bringing some slowdown perks to give you time to set up properly) is the best tactic. Accept that you're gonna lose one or two gens while setting up, and then play from there.

    Good addons help. Honing Stone is very strong, his iridescent for resetting traps randomly is super solid, I've had a lot of success with the addons for slowing down escape attempts and speeding up trap placement. Bring some Exposed perks if you can, he's quite good with Save The Best For Last if you can coax the Obsession into a trap, the basement is stronger for him than a lot of killers...

    A lot of it just comes down to learning the right trap placements for the map you're on. Sometimes it is tough, there's not much he can do on Eyrie of Crows for instance, but there's usually a few good spots- or you can lean on traps being deterrents and time wasters instead of actually getting survivors to step on them, that's another option.

    Oh - and you can trap the exit gates so survivors have to disarm before they can start opening them, that's a neat Trapper trick.

  • Play irri stone or you are mega F**KED

    If they are on comms and keeping an eye on you at all times you have no power. DH makes sure of that.