Killer-mains that switched to Survivor-Mains, what problem became apparent for survivors

I still play both sides but usually am playing more survivor games now because friends want to join me.

  1. I think one major theme I see now as survivor, that I never thought about as killer. I feel like I'm forced to always take Decisive Strike because there has been so many games, where I literally couldn't play because there's a lot of killers that will tunnel-off-hook-till-dead survivors, if you don't run it.
  2. Face-Camping Leatherface, I can almost guarantee that Leatherface is going to camp if I play against him.

Comments

  • The problem that becomes apparent is the teammates.

  • @Advorsus said:

    I was also a killer main that only played killer. Switched to about 50/50 when SBMM came out. There's actually quite a few things I learned.

    1. Although not as easy as I originally thought, it didn't take me long to learn looping as a survivor.

    2. Kinda have to agree that playing killer your build and choice of killer, as well as map rng can make or break your chances of doing well. Where as with survivor I have a lot more options without really feeling hindered. Even when not using meta perks. But using the meta perks I can see why killers complain. Having to hit someone 3-4 times before getting to hook them once can seem a bit much.

    3. I don't get tunneled out or camped nearly as much as I thought I would. It still happens, but it's maybe 1 in 5 games, and it's usually because 3-4 gens are already done.

    4. The difference in power at different stages of the match. At the beginning survivors really have all the power and control the flow of the match. But vice versa, if one survivor is killed at 4-5 gens or disconnects, it can feel very difficult to play. So I understand why some killers choose to go that route.

    5. Windows of opportunity showed me how unbalanced and safe certain maps can be with how tiles spawn up. Being able to see 8-10 pallets and 4 windows in just a 32m area, that's a lot of safety to be used. Not to mention all the other stuff available on the rest of the map.

    6. I never felt hindered as a survivor going to a certain map. I've noticed there's maps that certain survivors dislike due to personal choice. But I've never spawned into a map and been like, okay this is going to be a tough map to do well on. With killers you have certain killer/map combinations where you can't even use your power. It's made worse if you're playing someone like huntress or deathslinger where you have slower movement and don't even get to use your power. That's not something survivors have to worry about.

    7. SWF does not mean good. I've played a lot of both solo and in a full squad. I've noticed that most of the time we don't even talk about the game unless it's to say we're in chase or if there's ruin or something. And most of the people I've played with still run kindred. Just because they're a team, doesn't make them good.

    8. I've noticed a lot of survivors, even those on my team, that have decent or okay micro gameplay, meaning they understand how to work on gens, running certain loops, stuff like that. But they have absolutely atrocious macro gameplay.

    9. Solo queue is bad, but not as bad as you think. Yes there's the DCs and people killing themselves on first hook, but it's not as common as bad as people say. But it does happen. But mostly it's the mindset and the expectation people have. They play with their friends, then go into solo queue expecting to be able to rely on other people or think that these random players are going to have the same skill set that they have, and they just don't. You have to change your mindset when going into solo queue. If your goal is escaping and pipping, it doesn't make sense to sacrifice yourself for that random person to escape. Can you save them and you both or all get out reliably? No? Then just leave. I see it happen a lot. Survivors will feed 3-4 kills over to a killer trying to keep them from getting a single kill lol it doesn't make sense.

    10. Survivors complain, a lot. I've noticed this even with playing with a bunch of different people. There's about 10-12 of use that all play together. And they will complain non stop about how a killer is being sweaty, or they brought in a super sweaty build, when in reality they didn't camp or tunnel, and their build was brown or yellow add-ons with huntress lullaby, unrelenting, and like brutal strength or something. In reality they just played better. Some of these people I just won't play with anymore because they get super toxic as soon as they start playing, to the point where they'll just report people constantly. And there's tons of people like this. I remember playing one match where the killer killed 3 people and the last one was on death hook, and we were at 3 gens left. Like they just straight up beat us. The last guy, hatch spawn right next to him, so he waited on top of hatch until the killer arrived so that he could teabag him over and over and over again. When I asked why, he was like, "Because I want him to feel like ######### and know that I beat him." I was like, but we didn't lol we got our butts whooped. You got a pity hatch that RNG spawned in front of you I've even asked other survivors why they teabag at the exit Gates instead of leaving. They're like, "Cause we want him to know we beat him." Keep in mind, these are the same types of people that get mad when a killer hits them on hook. It just goes to show how toxic people in this community can be, and how they'll go out of this way to make other people feel like crap, just to ruin their day and gameplay experience.

    11. I've also noticed that survivors don't understand the point of looping. Even I started getting into this mindset and had to stop myself lol it's contagious. They think they should be able to loop every killer for 5 gens and when they can't or if they go down quickly, they get tilted and start accusing them of being sweaty or of certain killers being broken. Even if it's something like nemesis or clown. Looping isn't meant to be a means for you to bully killers. It's meant to waste as much of the killer's time as possible. It's great if you can loop a killer for 5 gens, but if you're able to do that every game obviously there'd be a balance issues.

    12. They killed the ambiance/atmosphere for this game, that horror element. I feel this much more as a survivor than a killer. It doesn't feel like an asymmetrical horror game. It feels like an asymmetrical action party game. And the more they remove the dark gritty atmosphere, and give aura reading for almost everything, knowledge of the killer's whereabouts at all times, the more it completely kills this once loved aspect of the game.

    TBH there's not really anything that I felt was just weak when playing survivor. I stopped taking DS as a perk because I'd rarely get to use it. Maybe like once in 20 games. The only thing that could maybe be worked on is the difference in communication when in solos. But at the same time, more information would probably just take even more away from the horror aspect of the game.

    I agree with point #7, SWF does not mean good. I played with 3 people once. I have been playing for 4 years, two of them for about 6 months, and one of them for like 2 years. I thought it was going to be tough helping 6 month players learn more about the game--but the 2 year dude literally was doing a gen, living his best life, telling us an albeit hilarious story about his job while us other 3 get hooked (we made some mistakes when combating proxy camping, and I was doing an all totem build cuz we had 4 devour that day, so no bt). He doesn't let us get a word in edgewise, and when he pops his gen he goes "why is my gen the only one done?" Umm idk maybe because you have zero game awareness, and we're all at stage 2 right now.

    1. Teammates can screw up a lot of matches, even easy matches.
    2. It's easier for a killer makes a match terrible for other side.
    3. Sometimes you need DS or borrowed time, just to have a fair match
    4. Make kindred a basekit will not turn all SoloQ matches better. The problem is more matchmaking than communication, some survivors have questionable choices in match, i have seen a lot terrible plays.
  • @tesla said:

    The problem that becomes apparent is the teammates.

    Definitely, biggest problem and probably only real problem in survivor games are teammates, not a killer, never.

  • I'm about 60 to 70% killer on my play time but here goes

    1. DS and, to a lesser extent, BT is really helpful for pipping up. You lose out on BP and probably depip when tunneled and camped so they're really needed at times.

    2. I don't know why but it seems like tunneling and camping is rampant at certain times and not as much at others.

    3. Depipping on solo queue really sucks because RNG plays such a large factor in some games.

    4. I only rarely join a group and never use comms but I've noticed that playing in a group, even without comms, does increase your survival rate since your teammates will actually try to save you.

    5. I can't stand teabaggers anymore on survivor than I can on killer.

    6. When a killer has a really bad match and I try to give them a mercy hook they sometimes don't believe me and occasionally think I'm mocking them.

    7. This relates to point 6. I wish survivors had more emotes than just simply crouching, pointing and beckoning. It would be nice to say thanks by doing something besides crouching because that could look like you're teabagging instead.

  • The MMR System doesn't care if Survivors are doing well and don't belong at a certain MMR, and put them all together. It will INSTEAD place lower ranked Survivors with the BETTER Survivors and then you have to spend time figuring out who is the lower 50% of the Killrate and will you be able to be the 50% that survive.

    The game does not create the best possible team to secure a win, it places you in the highest probability of a 50% chance to Survive, but does not factor in the skill of the Survivors you are placed with, just their MMR. So low-tier Survivors on a winning streak will suddenly appear in higher-tier games, unintentionally sabotage that game by playing at a lower skill level, and the Killer then has a higher chance of walking out with a 4k.

    When the game puts you in the best scenario to have a 50% chance to Survive, it does not factor in skill, and therefore lowers your chance to Survive intentionally by placing you with worse Survivors. Also makes climbing harder.

  • @YOURFRIEND said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2824273#Comment_2824273

    Facecamping is the optimal strategy most of the time, like it or not. Unless you think tourney players are bad at the game?

    Because dbd is a competitive game right? A game that is balanced for both sides right? A game with RNG should not have a comp scene "but the swish tourney" yeah what about it? They knew what they were going to, casual gamers are only playing for fun/hang out with friends etc.

    And when did I say that people in that tourney were bad? People that play "comp dbd" play to win not to have fun.

  • No problem found but I've always played both sides : Claudette during the day, Sally at night.

    Survivor games are easier and sometimes even hilarious. Solo can be difficult as you are sometimes grouped with headless chicken studying the insides of a locker all games. However this is not the rule.

    I sometimes laugh as killer : a random hatchet long-range guess hit, a predicted grab with no visibility, an induced jump scare-panic ... but that's the exception.

1 2 ›