The Rift and Tomes are rather old now, so how did it age?

Do you think they are a great addition or not? I remember that ppl where back then rather mixed about them but I wonder how it is nowdays.

I feel like they are pretty nice, especially the tomes, you can always do the challanges whenever you want to do them, they are a great side objective and way to earn bloodpoints, tbh the tomes are a big reason why I keep coming back to dbd. Also I love the lore additions to the according characters, I know right WHAT LORE IN DBD.

I feel like the Rifts are still rather meh, talking about the rewards specificly, yes you get around 2 free full outfits (which are mostly anyway ugly recolours) and 4-5 new outfits. But idk they feel still to this day pretty stale and not really unique enough. I think they should do something like Apex does, introducing new kind of ways in the new rifts, we could maybe start with new mori animations? Maybe then later new loading screens with cool artworks fitting for that tome or characters, you can also combine it with main menu backgrounds, also recycle some of the old ones. I believe those small things would be very cool for dbd.

And in case for ppl saying the devs need to fix their game first HUMU HUMU, well the balancing team has NOTHING to do with the rift or cosmetics, they can still keep working on fixing their game, keep in mind that BHVR isnt a 20 man company anymore.

Comments

  • Tomes.png

    They give me a reason to log in and play with perks and stuff that I wouldn't do otherwise, even if I think some of the challenges are dumb. I can always tell where I enjoyed the game and what I don't enjoy. Turns out I don't like unhooking survivors as much as I thought I did.

    In fact, I really don't like unhooking survivors. Or stunning the killer. Or finding the hatch. I've learned a lot about myself while playing the rifts. Most of the undone challenges are unhooking survivors. I play a healer build and it's logical to walk over to the hook and use the healing build but nope. Get one hooked nerd I hate you.

    Wait hold on I need you to help me repair this gen don't go to second state oh god oh god oh god.

    Apparently I'm also a killer main when it comes to things I enjoy doing in this game, but most of the time I play it's derping around on a survivor. Overall I'm glad they added it. I'm just waiting for the not chapter related purposely hard tome that requires unhooking 99 survivors, repairing 99 gens, sacrificing 99 survivors, with easy Master challenges so people will actually try to complete it. At the end of the 4th turbo rift it's just a head cosmetic that looks like a strobe light.

    Yeah.

  • My opinion is mixed. Sure, it's a nice side objective. That slightly reduces the grind. But on the other hand it can create a lot of frustration, when we get some objectives that are impossible to achieve without throwing the match.

  • I like them as a source of bloodpoints, especially to a newer player this is good way to retain them. Challenges can be fun way to gamify tedious grind, but the problem is some of the challenges can be tedious too. Too much luck involved if you are achievement driven.

    I'm not a fan of having exclusive outfits locked by challenges. I prefer they stick to the battlepass for this kind of content.

  • It's whatever. Free section stuff sucks, but the extra pocket change is ok. For me I don't like to go out of my way to complete tome challenges, so I just select challenges I know I can complete while playing passively. If there's none like that well that sucks ig.

    So yeah. It's ok. It's there :p

  • Challenges are what keeps me playing and if anything, I would welcome much more of them since I completed them all.

  • @Tsulan said:

    My opinion is mixed. Sure, it's a nice side objective. That slightly reduces the grind. But on the other hand it can create a lot of frustration, when we get some objectives that are impossible to achieve without throwing the match.

    ye I get what you mean, but I feel like thats an necessary trade off, I mean other games have the same issues like that you know.

  • I love that as a newer player, I can complete old challenges and hoard them for new character releases.

  • Free BP is only does good, it's good.

  • I am having fun playing though the old tomes; when I started the game Tricksters tome was half through and I never stopped playing since. I might complain now and then about the state of the game, especially killer, and now that I started playing survivor in earnest to get their tomes done I think that I got a much more varried view of the game and fully sopport the notion that the survivor game is much more easy; but of course, everything got its issues.

    That being said, you need to dedicate some time into listening to the lore, but the narrator is doing such a good job that I really enjoy a story session now and then. The small videos are more like a gimicky after thought, but enjoyable non the less, just dont expect some fully rendered stuff or whatever, they were probably done in some designers spare time.

    The challenges can sometimes be fun, forcing you to try out different survivors or perks or doing stuff that you usually suck at, like me and flashlight saves, and sometimes the fun is to wrack your mind how to game the system and get a tedious challenge done in a more easy way. Some people use the tomes as a sort of Bloodpoint Bank savings, but as I still have SO much grind ahead of me, this is something that I can't see myself needing in the forseeable future.

  • It's one of the best additions to the game ever realeased imo. However they have some drawbacks, some tome missions force you to play bad and the rift free users are not very well treated, too many empty levels, usually series of two/three empty levels, but sometimes there are series of 7 empty levels and this sucks. I know the premium users have to have better rewards, but this is a joke for the free ones, we are dedicated players who usually pay DLCs (at least in my case, I buy all the licensed killers). I'm not even asking for Iridiscent Shards in that empty levels but at least some BP? 15.000-20.000, I'm not even asking for big rewards.

    image.png image.png


  • @BenZ0 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2812467#Comment_2812467

    ye I get what you mean, but I feel like thats an necessary trade off, I mean other games have the same issues like that you know.

    But other games don´t balance around kill/death statistics while asking people to throw the match in order to complete a objective that has no connection on how the game is actually played.

  • @Tsulan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2812601#Comment_2812601

    But other games don´t balance around kill/death statistics while asking people to throw the match in order to complete a objective that has no connection on how the game is actually played.

    well there are games that require you to do that

  • I enjoy most of the tomes, but they definitely keep falling back on the same challenges which make them repetitive and dull at times, especially when there's feedback every time about unenjoyable challenges like "survive while other survivors escape" or "unhook someone who unhooked you earlier," yet they continue to return on every other tome level.

    Personally though, the rift leaves a lot to be desired. Considering how much the game costs along with DLC just to unlock the characters, BHVR's monetisation of the store and the rift are fairly greedy already, however having the free track be so sparse is just a slap in the face to players who have already paid a lot and don't want to keep giving money.

    There have also been 10 tomes now, and they've had feedback EVERY TIME that the garbage wooden-to-iridescent recoloured charms are not appreciated, and yet we're still handed this crap over and over.

  • But they don´t base their balance around this.

  • Love the tomes don't like the rift because of fomo

  • I just wish there wasn't so many charms..

  • The rift and challenges are a really good addition. It's funny because if I remember correctly the Devs sent out a survey and one of the questions was if players were interested in a battlepass and I think the majority weren't. But they went ahead and did one anyway.

    I rarely buy skins with auric cells and so am very happy with the huge amount of free skins I've earned just from playing the game.

    It also gives me an objective to do and bloodpoints to save and splash into the new chapter. Not to mention, when I complete all the challenges I always go back to... Tome V, tier 2? and equip my trusted flower.