I'm glad the racist mask is going

I think most of the people who bother to post about this are probably the people who are mad, so I wanted to say: I'm happy about it. I don't think it should have been in the game, and I'm glad it's getting removed.

Tagged: Mod

Comments

  • I went out of my way to earn all four. Then never used them. The P3 headpiece is cooler than any of them.

    Looking forward to my iri shards I guess.

  • It sucks honestly since the mask itself was not inherently racist. But with people using it that way, they ruined it for everyone.

    But man, what a good day to be back in the forums and this the first thing I see, mask controversy posts.

  • @Hex_Llama said:

    I think most of the people who bother to post about this are probably the people who are mad, so I wanted to say: I'm happy about it. I don't think it should have been in the game, and I'm glad it's getting removed.

    No. They're just people who know that there is nothing intrinsically racist or offensive about the masks. If there were people that somehow "spread hate" with the masks then go after the individual and not remove it for everyone. Personally I don't even see how its possible for someone playing him to spread hate with those masks. I mean, I hate it when killers hit me on the hook but you don't see me coming here saying its misogynistic when the killer hits Kate on the hook repeatedly.

  • Average video game enjoyer being camped in a video game: "well that sucks, what a jerk. Oh well."

    Average twitter user being camped in a video game: "help, I'm being oppressed!"

  • @OnryosTapeRentals said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2733863#Comment_2733863

    https://youtu.be/RE7RZv_dhC0

    This video explains pretty comprehensively how people "spread hate" with the mask.

    I am too lazy to actually watch all of it, but so far it seems like she got bullied by bubba and made it a race issue. It's not like Bubba said he is doing it for that reason. It's just what she thinks happened.

    So everyone got cosmetic removed that was not really that easy to get, because few people got offended by a toxic gameplay.

    Hey, so now I think everyone with flashlight macro know I am an epileptic and trying to give me seizure. Remove that #########!

  • @OnryosTapeRentals said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2734796#Comment_2734796

    Watch the full video before making ridiculous comments like this.

    If you watched you would know that the LF in these situations DID make it clear they were doing it over race because they were saying slurs in post-game chat and even going so far as raiding streams with hundreds of bots...

    Can't believe this community is actually blaming the streamers being harassed and not the people harassing them ๐Ÿคฆ

    I just don't care, that's all. It's still just a feeling.

    Maybe make a better report system instead making pointless gesture and removing everyone quite hard to get cosmetic...

    Like really, do you think this will do anything? He is still going to do it, just with different skin. Probably with Pretty Lady Bubba, or some different killer. Trickster is good camper too and asian, so that works. Skin doesn't matter, that player is an issue, not a free skin.

    and flashlight macros are still issue. They remove this, but macros are fine...

  • @OnryosTapeRentals said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2734815#Comment_2734815

    "It's still just a feeling" Huh? How?

    In what way is having your stream raided by 500 bots spamming racial slurs not an obvious indicator that the person is doing it because of race???

    Why can't we improve the report system AND remove the tool that is being used by racist players to act out their disturbing fantasies? Racist players picked the SF cosmetic because of it's resemblance to blackface and hence used it as a tool to amplify their racist behaviour.

    What about the situations where Leatherfaces wearing the cosmetics are going out of their way to grief POC characters/streamers but not actively saying anything racist in post-game chat. It's pretty obvious what they're doing but not necessarily proveable and so they can't be banned for it. It's not fair that black content creators have to be subjected to that kind of in-game harassment. Removing this mask takes away that tool.

    Stream raided by bots is twitch / youtube issue. Black mask cosmetic is not going to fix that...

    Difference with dbd is that it's 1 game. Twitch can be raided over and over again.

    Thing is, you think they care about not having a black mask? The actions are still going to be exactly same, nothing will change. Well, only change is going to be how that killer looks in game. I am pretty sure that actions are what is annoying for them, which is going to be exactly same, because it's a player issue.

  • @OnryosTapeRentals said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2734845#Comment_2734845

    The video explains how it was being used and why it needs to be removed, as well as responses to the arguments you're presenting right now.

    If you're not actually going to watch the video and at least try to understand how the mask was being used to target black content creators then I don't have an interest in continuing this conversation with you.

    I understand how it's being used. I just don't think removing a cosmetic is going to change anything. Better reporting system would help a little.

    Problem is you just can't get rid of it. As you said, that would fix only morons that talk about it and don't hide it at all. But removing masks is not going to fix even those.

  • @Dino7281 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2734802#Comment_2734802

    I just don't care, that's all. It's still just a feeling.

    Maybe make a better report system instead making pointless gesture and removing everyone quite hard to get cosmetic...

    Like really, do you think this will do anything? He is still going to do it, just with different skin. Probably with Pretty Lady Bubba, or some different killer. Trickster is good camper too and asian, so that works. Skin doesn't matter, that player is an issue, not a free skin.

    and flashlight macros are still issue. They remove this, but macros are fine...

    And here you are in yet another post, ranting about flashlight clicking.

    It. Is. A. Game. Mechanic. It. Is. Not. Cyber. Bullying. Nor. Is. It. Hate. Speech. Behavior.

    I still have yet to see you bring up the Doctor's power effects on survivor HUD, flashing lights on the generators, fireworks, flashbangs, or killer generator-popping perks which cause flashes on screen. Wonder why.

    Literally every other game that contains flash warnings says "if you experience any adverse effects to this game *please stop playing immediately and contact your medical provider*". So, yes, ask your friend to stop putting themselves in a position to be MEDICALLY IMPACTED by in-game lights, and do us all a favor and stop equating epilepsy to ACTUAL RACIST ACTIONS.

  • @OnryosTapeRentals said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2733863#Comment_2733863

    https://youtu.be/RE7RZv_dhC0

    This video explains pretty comprehensively how people "spread hate" with the mask.

    Did they forget that Meg and Dwight also have these faces and are white? Bubba skins everyone. He doesn't care about other people's skin color.

    I didn't even think that there could be problems with these.... I've been playing for over 3 years now and I never thought of the LF maks to be racist or spread hate.

    Again, it'S a feew bad people who ruin it for everyone.

  • So I guess eventually LEather will need to be deleted along with the bucket of chicken charm.


    Absolutely pathetic that this generation literally twists and turns until they are offended. YOu all stand no chance.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    I bet you're also glad that almost every topic talking about this subject with people disagreeing that this was the right decision also got shutdown. Yeah, let's fight intolerance with more intolerance.

    Also, removing the masks didn't prevent a killer from calling me "monkey" today. Surprisingly the word "monkey", "macaco" and "makako" can pass the censorship system, but when I tried replying something like "lmfao" and "get rekt" the system did censor my phrase.

    Also, the other day, another survivor in the lobby sayed something like "change this monkey character" for just playing the new survivor (the one who looks like Trevor from GTA V). And this one doesn't even have a mask, only sunglasses.

    And actually, to be honest, if you're South American and you play past 2:00AM sometimes you get paired with North American people. I've been called "monkey" a lot in the past but I never took it serious, I just laughed. (And also we all know that hate speech against latins is kind of okay in NA, right?)

    Well, I did my part. I reported the #########. But I want to see results of my report or else I'll assume this is all hypocrisy.

    Hateful speech against latins is fine?

    I am German and I can't count anymore how many times I was called a Nazi in my 4.5k hrs of playtime.

    This is just sad overall.

  • @HeyItsQuiet said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2734815#Comment_2734815

    And here you are in yet another post, ranting about flashlight clicking.

    It. Is. A. Game. Mechanic. It. Is. Not. Cyber. Bullying. Nor. Is. It. Hate. Speech. Behavior.

    I still have yet to see you bring up the Doctor's power effects on survivor HUD, flashing lights on the generators, fireworks, flashbangs, or killer generator-popping perks which cause flashes on screen. Wonder why.

    Literally every other game that contains flash warnings says "if you experience any adverse effects to this game *please stop playing immediately and contact your medical provider*". So, yes, ask your friend to stop putting themselves in a position to be MEDICALLY IMPACTED by in-game lights, and do us all a favor and stop equating epilepsy to ACTUAL RACIST ACTIONS.

    Actual racist actions?

    You have no idea what is actual racist action. They died in a ######### video game.

    It. Is. A. Game. Cosmetic.

    Who the ######### cares about hate speech? Does it actually hurt them? No, it hurts their feelings. When someone can actually have health issue, you say to stop immediately. Well, maybe everyone offended by camping bubba should stop too. But that doesn't fit you... It's funny how huge hypocrit you are.

    Yeah, you are right. It's not good from me "equating" epilepsy to racist actions, because epilepsy is real issue.

  • @HeyItsQuiet said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2734815#Comment_2734815

    And here you are in yet another post, ranting about flashlight clicking.

    It. Is. A. Game. Mechanic. It. Is. Not. Cyber. Bullying. Nor. Is. It. Hate. Speech. Behavior.

    I still have yet to see you bring up the Doctor's power effects on survivor HUD, flashing lights on the generators, fireworks, flashbangs, or killer generator-popping perks which cause flashes on screen. Wonder why.

    Literally every other game that contains flash warnings says "if you experience any adverse effects to this game *please stop playing immediately and contact your medical provider*". So, yes, ask your friend to stop putting themselves in a position to be MEDICALLY IMPACTED by in-game lights, and do us all a favor and stop equating epilepsy to ACTUAL RACIST ACTIONS.

    And you may have yet to see it, but it's been posted few times already.

    Here is some example, enjoy if you care so much...

    @Pyrulen said:

    This is a 2 part request/suggestion.

    First I want to inform the playerbase that flashlight clicking is more than a toxic mindgame, it is a serious risk for users or spectators who are sensitive to flashing lights, potentially causing seizures leading to harm or worse. Consider what kind of harm you could be causing to real life, and disable those clicking macros.

    The second part of this is a call to action for BHVR to implement a 0.5 second cooldown in between flashlight clicks in order to meet safety requirements for photosensitive epilepsy:

    Photosensitive epilepsy triggers:

    โ€“ Any sequence of flashing* images that lasts for more than 5 seconds

    โ€“ More than three flashes* in a single second, covering 25%+ of the screen

    โ€“ Moving** repeated patterns*** or uniform text****, covering 25%+ of the screen

    โ€“ Static repeated patterns*** or uniform text****, covering 40%+ of the screen

    I would also like to point out that Dead by Daylight does not present a warning for Photosensitive Epilepsy on launch or in the EULA, which creates a risk of legal liability when posts like this are made public and met with inaction. Please add a warning, along with the functional cooldown of flashlights mentioned above, as these are very real health risks to many players/spectators.

    This isn't a demand, or a threat, this is a genuine plead for assistance in helping to minimize the health risk for players and spectators of the game.

    I don't recall any official statement being made regarding Flashlight rapid click macro use by the dev team, but the problem is still very present in the latest PTB from today.

    Thanks,


    We have talked about doctor, gens, rooms, police cars and yes flashlights.

    Whenever I decide to talk about it, I just choose the one that would be easiest to fix.

    It's a mechanic? Well, tell me a purpose. Why do survivors need to be able to use flashlight for 20ms several times per second? I can understand to stop it once, maybe twice when you start to blind early, that is part of the skill, but stop it hundred times? Why?

    Even Dota, game where even heroes are toxic have cool-downs to most actions. But that's something you can't get offended by, so I guess advice to stop playing is better for you :D

  • @Dino7281 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2736196#Comment_2736196

    Actual racist actions?

    You have no idea what is actual racist action. They died in a ######### video game.

    It. Is. A. Game. Cosmetic.

    Who the ######### cares about hate speech? Does it actually hurt them? No, it hurts their feelings. When someone can actually have health issue, you say to stop immediately. Well, maybe everyone offended by camping bubba should stop too. But that doesn't fit you... It's funny how huge hypocrit you are.

    Yeah, you are right. It's not good from me "equating" epilepsy to racist actions, because epilepsy is real issue.

    Oh, okay. I'll be sure to let everyone who has been the victim of racist epithets or attacks online and IRL that hate speech and racist behavior isn't a real problem.

    We've done it, boys. After all their cherrypicking, Dino has eradicated racism and is on their way to curing epilepsy for everyone on every game ever made.

  • @OnryosTapeRentals said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2733863#Comment_2733863

    https://youtu.be/RE7RZv_dhC0

    This video explains pretty comprehensively how people "spread hate" with the mask.

    Playing a fictional character that wears masks of other fictional characters in a fictional world that chases after and tries to kill other fictional characters in a fictional world is not racist. And by the way, the situations mentioned in the first minute of that video need to be handled on an individual basis and not a universal one. Why? Because I do not believe this is happening in any kind of wide scale. I have 1800 hours played as survivor in this game and I have never even seen the cannibal use any of the survivor faces before. If I haven't even seen them use it once, let alone do any kind of "hateful actions" using them, why should I believe this is a problem? Sure we can describe the scenarios on how it could happen, but how often is it really happening? This is a non issue. This change was not needed. Whats going to happen next? Are female survivors going to be immune to killer actions because someone says its misogynistic for killer mains to attack female characters in the game?

  • Closing this as people are downplaying issues by comparing them to others.