Thoughts on Pyramid Head

Even though I haven't played Silent Hill 2, I've loved playing as Pyramid Head since I got him in my roster of available killers. I still like him these days since I think he's strong and fair.

What about you guys? Do you share the same sentiment or is it different (my bet is because Pyramid Head players use Torment to focus on tunneling survivors out 24/7, which I do my best not to do)?

Comments

  • Never played any main line Silent Hill games other then Shattered Memories on the PSP but mained Pyramid Head for some time. Super fun and strong anti loop and zoning. I think hes a bit outclassed in anti looping now with the Artist but still incredibly fun and its always funny screwing someone out of a pallet or flashlight save by caging the downed survivor.

  • Well.. I main him, probably noticeable thanks to my pfp.

    My opinion on him:

    - Very strong and rewarding if mastered

    - Huge amount of potential satisfaction if you master his PotD attack. (Getting prediction shots, blind shots, flick shots etc.) except animtion lock shots, all of those feel quite satisfying.

    I usually don't like playing the same Killer match after match but with PH, it's an exception. I feel that I am learning something new every day regarding shots (which I mainly focus on), I don't care to much about his Trails and Cages.

    Definitely a Killer I can recommend. He's fun and strong.

    The only big downside against him would be the holding W strat, which you can milden a bit by using Monitor and Abuse.

  • @MrDardon said:

    Well.. I main him, probably noticeable thanks to my pfp.

    My opinion on him:

    - Very strong and rewarding if mastered

    - Huge amount of potential satisfaction if you master his PotD attack. (Getting prediction shots, blind shots, flick shots etc.) except animtion lock shots, all of those feel quite satisfying.

    I usually don't like playing the same Killer match after match but with PH, it's an exception. I feel that I am learning something new every day regarding shots (which I mainly focus on), I don't care to much about his Trails and Cages.

    Definitely a Killer I can recommend. He's fun and strong.

    The only big downside against him would be the holding W strat, which you can milden a bit by using Monitor and Abuse.

    I haven't tried out M&A on PH yet, I should probably do that someday.

    As for PotD shots, anytime I land a flick is hugely satisfying (I play on Switch BTW).

  • I actually enjoy his Torment trail and cages more than his ranged attack personally, even though his ranged attack is probably the stronger part of his kit. His cages are actually great time savers.

    • It takes about 10 seconds or so on average to pick up a survivor and carry them to a hook compared to 2 seconds total to cage them. That means if you cage a survivor you have 8 additional seconds to find a new survivor and chase them. Since you can cross half the map in 8 seconds that’s almost always more than enough time to find someone new to chase, especially if there’s a generator they’re working on in your half of the map. Of course, I’m not going to claim caging is ALWAYS the optimal play, but when in doubt if you cage this time savings alone is quite useful and a lot of people seem to overlook it.
    • Caging avoids any possibility of the survivor being save by a pallet or blind or decisive strike, etc. This aspect in fact is often the main reason a lot of people cage, and they intentionally don’t cage after the first down just so they can specifically avoid a Decisive Strike on the second down for example. Personally I don’t honestly bother thinking it through that much, I’m satisfied knowing if I cage someone it will 100% work.
    • The animation for the cage and Final Execution is pretty good. 👍
    • Finally cages aside, the trails aren’t bad because of killer instinct. Having killer instinct midchase is actually pretty handy since it makes it harder for them to juke you and easier to aim your ranged attack.
  • Never played a silent hill game in my life but PH is cool and fits in the game well

  • @MrDardon said:

    Well.. I main him, probably noticeable thanks to my pfp.

    My opinion on him:

    - Very strong and rewarding if mastered

    - Huge amount of potential satisfaction if you master his PotD attack. (Getting prediction shots, blind shots, flick shots etc.) except animtion lock shots, all of those feel quite satisfying.

    I usually don't like playing the same Killer match after match but with PH, it's an exception. I feel that I am learning something new every day regarding shots (which I mainly focus on), I don't care to much about his Trails and Cages.

    Definitely a Killer I can recommend. He's fun and strong.

    The only big downside against him would be the holding W strat, which you can milden a bit by using Monitor and Abuse.

    Literally my exact thoughts (except I don't use M&A on him, prefer Corrupt)

  • @Adamant_Tepig said:

    Even though I haven't played Silent Hill 2, I've loved playing as Pyramid Head since I got him in my roster of available killers. I still like him these days since I think he's strong and fair.

    What about you guys? Do you share the same sentiment or is it different (my bet is because Pyramid Head players use Torment to focus on tunneling survivors out 24/7, which I do my best not to do)?

    I love him, cool power and badas* chase music. I want to master him because he is fun to play as but I’m trying to master demo first. What build do you run on pyramid head?

  • @deKlaw_04 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/301021/thoughts-on-pyramid-head

    I love him, cool power and badas* chase music. I want to matched hike because he is fun to play as but I’m trying to master demo first. What build do you run on pyramid head?

    For a while I used to run BBQ, Corrupt, Pop, and Tinkerer, though I swapped out Pop and Tinkerer for Enduring and No Way Out.

  • Pound for pound, PH is the most over-hyped killer in the game for his actual power level.. He's 4.6, so he can just be played as a 'walk around and swing' killer and do passably well. His actual powers are absurdly over-valued by just about everyone. If you play PH and do well, guess what? You could be doing way better with any other comparable killer.

    • He has the worst AddOns of any killer in the game and they have never been touched despite a whole series of nerfs to his power and rework of all his perks.
    • His shockwave has been balanced (and then nerfed) such that it is only useable on locked-in animation points like vaults and pallets and nowhere else.
    • His torment trails are wildly over-restricted and 100% in the hands of the survivors to evade.
    • He has one of, if not the least stealthy profiles, with a gigantic size/shape and overwhelmingly loud sound cues that advertise him even while Undetectable.
    • His cages are hilariously nothing. The fact that they shut off a handful of absurdly overused survivor perks says more about how insanely powerful those perks are and nothing about HIS actual power level.

    His Torment Trails have SO MANY limitations behind them and nearly all of his addons rely on that totally worthless part of his kit. PH is mid-to-low B tier and people like to pretend he's S-tier. And because people like to lie to themselves about how good he is, there will never be a rework to make his kit less obnoxiously restrictive than it is.

  • I’m an executioner main. I mainly use the cages to hook ppl fast, or spread out pressure than to tunnel someone.

  • @deKlaw_04 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/301021/thoughts-on-pyramid-head

    I love him, cool power and badas* chase music. I want to matched hike because he is fun to play as but I’m trying to master demo first. What build do you run on pyramid head?

    hey hello hi yes i am the man for this i have a post!!

    @GoodBoyKaru said:

    So a few attentive people may recognise this from a comment I made yesterday (technically it was 24 minutes into today but let's not talk semantics). A couple of people suggested I make it a real post because "That's an excellent guide, very well put together." So, here I am. I've added a few more things so it's still worth a read.

    This will cover what is, in my opinion, his best build and why, as well as a few tips on playing him & a few videos.

    So hey, it's me- GoodBoyKaru, your friendly neighbourhood Pyramid Head main- here to give some swift Tips and Tricks(tm) to help make you a better Pyramid Head player!

    For the record, this was made during DBD Patch 4.7.2

    Build

    PERKS

    My personal favourite and imho strongest build is this:

    • Corrupt Intervention

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/5A01IV8RME2M/image.png

    Crucial early-game slowdown on a killer without mobility, allows him to stall the game massively because survivors know that if they get found they're doomed.

    • Pop Goes The Weasel

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/FHA7ZFNAKVZY/image.png

    It's the second best gen regression perk in the game, Ruin is too volatile to be anywhere near reliable on him because, again, no movement speed, he needs gen perks because he cannot move around the map quick enough, 11/10. "But you don't hook pe-" WRONG. You should be getting plenty of value out of PGTW and if you're overcaging then you're taking your map pressure and throwing it out the window.

    • Barbeque and Chili

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/SC8THLXSY3RP/image.png

    Now, you could obviously put other perks here like Infectious Fright (amazing snowball), Tinkerer (Undetectable is nice and it helps tell you where to go but again no movement speed) or Discordance (amazing info, can sometimes do nothing about it). However I say BBQ because I like the perk and also because bloodpoints.

    • I'm All Ears

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/V90CSL0I44NO/image.png

    Hands down the best perk in the game for Pyramid Head, that's six seconds of wallhacks. I cannot stress how valuable this is with his power- that is a guaranteed free hit in 9/10 situations. To show what I mean, I've linked a timestamped video below of where IAE comes in so clutch- continues to 5:16 in the video.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJs4rvkppqs&t=296s

    (you can watch the whole thing if you really want I'm proud of the game).

    An honourable mention here goes to Ruin/Undying over Pop/Corrupt. As I've mentioned before, Tinkerer isn't a great perk on him due to his lack of speed, but the same goes for Ruin/Undying. You don't have the map mobility to defend your totems, especially if they spawn further away, and you'll probably end up losing two perks before 2 gens go. Corrupt/Pop is just more consistent in my experience.

    ADD-ONS

    So, his add-ons aren't great. The best ones, by far, are range add-ons which, when combined, extend his POTD by up to 2.5m (10.5m total). These are Burning Man Painting (Rare), Wax Doll (Uncommon), and Black Strap (Common), which ass +1.5m, +1m, and +0.5m respectively.

    tips

    Okay so rule number one is to not break pallets. Sounds weird but, just trust me.

    His power is incredibly strong in a chase- so much so that if a survivor commits to an animation they die. If you don't break pallets (with some exceptions like God pallets) you can do amazing things. Because who doesn't want more opportunities to win a chase, like, instantly? It turns incredibly safe pallets into death sentences

    To show what I mean, here's another timestamped clip. Ends at 10:58

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu3X5o9GpjY&t=646s

    Learn the range of the power. 8m is specific and sometimes you think you can hit things and you can't. You need to be very careful, especially when playing with range add-ons for so long, because it can and will screw with your perception.

    Adapt to the survivors you're facing. A lot of players will fake taking an animation, go to the side slightly to bait your POTD or your cancel, and then commit to the animation. If you turn to the side and release, you'll catch a lot of these survivors out and get a hit. It's really satisfying to do. Alternatively some survivors will commit to the animations regardless, in which case you'll know to aim in the centre. Other survivors will just hold W and pre-drop pallets, in which case you know to leave them because you'll really struggle catching up, or do not use your power.

    I cannot stress that enough. If a survivor is pre-dropping W key gaming, do not use your power. M1 killer them.

    Don't overcage and don't stress about torment. If a survivor loops you, they'll get tormented. That's just kinda how it works- you stick your knife in, follow them around a loop, and release your POTD after tracking their movements.

    To see what I mean we return to the first video, again timestamped. Clip ends at 1:36.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJs4rvkppqs&t=83s

    See how I hug the car, turn the camera and use the power to hit him out of animation lock? Had he kept running, easy torment too.

    In my opinion, only cage someone in one of four scenarios:

    • You're afraid of a DS (just please don't tunnel I'm begging you)
    • You're afraid of an Unbreakable (much more likely)
    • You can immidiately get into another chase
    • It would place you into a Pressure Point Of No Return (name pending).

    What I mean by that last point is that there comes a time in a DBD game where the killer will hit a Pressure Point Of No Return, where the survivors physically cannot come back from the amount of pressure and momentum you're building. The best example of this as Pyramid Head is where you split the map through cages. You have two downed survivors. Cage one, hook the other. Nobody is on a generator, you have a BBQ proc to interrupt the person saving the cage or the hook, and now the last person must save both people. On especially large maps, like Mother's Dwelling, or multi-storied ones, like Midwich, this can force people into second stage and you've won the game at 5 gens. It's more common than you'd think.

    If you cage at other times you're probably wasting pressure you could've gotten from a hook.

    Learn where you can and can't lay trails. In front of totems and lockers? Amazing. In front of a gen? Not at all, it becomes a Restricted Trail Element and disappears after a few seconds. The DBD Wiki has a section on this which I'll just paste below.

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/2808XTGCLSHV/image.png

    I'd highly, highly suggest reading the wiki page on his power as it's really useful in understanding the fundamentals and giving actual values to words. Here it is:

    https://deadbydaylight.fandom.com/wiki/Pyramid_Head

    Finally, learn where you can and can't use POTD. It sounds like a simple thing but learning where you can and can't use it, however there's a lot to it. For example, learning how vertical changes affect it. Did you know if you release his power on a slope going up it'll fail, same with releasing it on a slope going down. However, if you're barely off of the slope it'll travel down it, but only if it isn't too steep.

    It's nuts but knowing where you can and can't actually have an ability is, funnily enough, pretty important.

    A few more quick-fire tips:

    • Don't just go for animation lock shots. People expect these and adapt. Be unpredictable to catch them off guard and get easy hits. Like this:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0U1k10I-zG4&feature=emb_logo

    Bet they didn't expect that one :p

    Needless to say that was where I hit a Pressure Point Of No Return and poor Jakey couldn't pick up the scraps.

    • Don't spam his power. You waste too much time. Be precise, predict, and adapt to your opponents.
    • Don't spam his trails. You move at 110% and you already lack a movement ability, you waste too much time.
    • Tunneling isn't the best strategy. I know it seems like it because cages but again, you do not have a movement ability. Survivors can and will facefuck generators and ruin your day substantially.
    • Dead Dawg Saloon and Hawkins are both maps you never press M2 on ever. Play like a default M1 killer because the map design prevents you from using your power. They're pretty much auto-loss maps, ngl, unless the survivors really badly mess up.
    • Play survivor. Learn where survivors move and how they path, shoot POTD to hit them. That's what I did in that last clip.

    And, yeah, that's about it. If people have any questions please let me know and I'll try to answer them as best I can, though I think this is comprehensive enough.


  • “Your friendly neighborhood pyramid head main” love that lol. This is actually helpful thank you so much. He is such a cool killer

  • @Adjatha said:

    Pound for pound, PH is the most over-hyped killer in the game for his actual power level.. He's 4.6, so he can just be played as a 'walk around and swing' killer and do passably well. His actual powers are absurdly over-valued by just about everyone. If you play PH and do well, guess what? You could be doing way better with any other comparable killer.

    • He has the worst AddOns of any killer in the game and they have never been touched despite a whole series of nerfs to his power and rework of all his perks.
    • His shockwave has been balanced (and then nerfed) such that it is only useable on locked-in animation points like vaults and pallets and nowhere else.
    • His torment trails are wildly over-restricted and 100% in the hands of the survivors to evade.
    • He has one of, if not the least stealthy profiles, with a gigantic size/shape and overwhelmingly loud sound cues that advertise him even while Undetectable.
    • His cages are hilariously nothing. The fact that they shut off a handful of absurdly overused survivor perks says more about how insanely powerful those perks are and nothing about HIS actual power level.

    His Torment Trails have SO MANY limitations behind them and nearly all of his addons rely on that totally worthless part of his kit. PH is mid-to-low B tier and people like to pretend he's S-tier. And because people like to lie to themselves about how good he is, there will never be a rework to make his kit less obnoxiously restrictive than it is.

    So which 4.6 m/s killers can do a better job than PH? Just curious.

  • @Adamant_Tepig said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2706625#Comment_2706625

    So which 4.6 m/s killers can do a better job than PH? Just curious.

    Blight, Bubba, Oni, Artist, and Nemesis are all better. Even post-nerf Billy, Wraith, and Freddy. You could make a strong argument for Demogorgon, since his power is basically the same (low range distance hit) but works on any long tile (not just animation lock ones) as well as just in normal field chases.

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2706560#Comment_2706560

    Literally my exact thoughts (except I don't use M&A on him, prefer Corrupt)

    It's my comfy Perk, and it happens to work well with him.

    My build atm is Whispers, BBQ, Infectious, Monitor.

    Mainly information and my budget Shadowborn.

  • @Adamant_Tepig said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2706560#Comment_2706560

    I haven't tried out M&A on PH yet, I should probably do that someday.

    As for PotD shots, anytime I land a flick is hugely satisfying (I play on Switch BTW).

    Flick shots (if we talk about the same) are really hard, but indeed satisfying.

  • @Adjatha said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2706660#Comment_2706660

    Blight, Bubba, Oni, Artist, and Nemesis are all better. Even post-nerf Billy, Wraith, and Freddy. You could make a strong argument for Demogorgon, since his power is basically the same (low range distance hit) but works on any long tile (not just animation lock ones) as well as just in normal field chases.

    I dunno about Wraith, Billy, and Freddy personally, but I can see the argument with their good mobility and the latter's teleport. I will give you Blight and Oni though for free, both are fun and strong.

    Nemesis I kinda disagree with, since he has the same mobility as PH, and while his tentacle is a faster animation overall imo, the extra hit needed to get a down on a survivor with just M2s (3 hits compared to PH's 2) in exchange for better map awareness with the zombies doesn't seem to balance out completely since the zombies are inconsistent at best.

  • @Adamant_Tepig said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2706685#Comment_2706685

    I dunno about Wraith, Billy, and Freddy personally, but I can see the argument with their good mobility and the latter's teleport. I will give you Blight and Oni though for free, both are fun and strong.

    Nemesis I kinda disagree with, since he has the same mobility as PH, and while his tentacle is a faster animation overall imo, the extra hit needed to get a down on a survivor with just M2s (3 hits compared to PH's 2) in exchange for better map awareness with the zombies doesn't seem to balance out completely since the zombies are inconsistent at best.

    I will admit that Nemesis' inconsistent zombie AI is his biggest nerf. If the zombies ALWAYS moved towards survivors, he would be an amazing killer, even with the 3rd health state. THEORETICALLY, that's a bug that MIGHT be fixed sometime in the future. But, regardless, the tentacle goes out faster (0.35 sec charge time to PH's 1 sec charge), does not hinder turning, allows for proper flicks, DOES NOT forecast its hit path for the survivors to plainly see where they need to step to completely avoid it, and hits the full 5/6 meters instantly as opposed to a delayed wave that gives people further away even more time to dodge it. Also, I could be mistaken, but I believe Nemesis' tentacle is a cone attack, so it's far harder to side step than PH's super narrow beam.

  • @Adjatha said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2706712#Comment_2706712

    I will admit that Nemesis' inconsistent zombie AI is his biggest nerf. If the zombies ALWAYS moved towards survivors, he would be an amazing killer, even with the 3rd health state. THEORETICALLY, that's a bug that MIGHT be fixed sometime in the future. But, regardless, the tentacle goes out faster (0.35 sec charge time to PH's 1 sec charge), does not hinder turning, allows for proper flicks, DOES NOT forecast its hit path for the survivors to plainly see where they need to step to completely avoid it, and hits the full 5/6 meters instantly as opposed to a delayed wave that gives people further away even more time to dodge it. Also, I could be mistaken, but I believe Nemesis' tentacle is a cone attack, so it's far harder to side step than PH's super narrow beam.

    I remember seeing in Otz's 50 winstreak video he explained what Nemmy's tentacle hitbox was, I'mma grab that for ya real quick so we can both see.

    https://youtu.be/Jx0EaeZUAU4?t=213

    Personally, I find Nemesis to be similar to Huntress at pallets when it comes to playing around those loops, but trades off an extra hit for having that super fast windup (and breaking pallets with it at Tier 2, which is pretty good if you can get Tier 2 up early).

    Overall though, I like playing both PH and Nemmy as they both have their own strengths I do my best to try and utilize while also playing as fair as I can unless I have to sweat.

  • @Adamant_Tepig said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2706732#Comment_2706732

    I remember seeing in Otz's 50 winstreak video he explained what Nemmy's tentacle hitbox was, I'mma grab that for ya real quick so we can both see.

    https://youtu.be/Jx0EaeZUAU4?t=213

    Personally, I find Nemesis to be similar to Huntress at pallets when it comes to playing around those loops, but trades off an extra hit for having that super fast windup (and breaking pallets with it at Tier 2, which is pretty good if you can get Tier 2 up early).

    Overall though, I like playing both PH and Nemmy as they both have their own strengths I do my best to try and utilize while also playing as fair as I can unless I have to sweat.

    Ah, the sustained hit while strafing would be the 'conical' effect I'd observed. Interesting.

    While PH and Nemesis play in a similar but different fashion, I still think Nemesis is better designed, even with the buggy zombies and the 3-hit infection. And the single reason for this is: Controlling him feels good. It feels good to pull out the tentacle and use it. When you're trying to use PH's power, you're fighting against the controls. You're slow, cumbersome, limited, unable to move normally, at the mercy of long delays and unclear positioning, and buried under mountains of plainly overcompensating restrictions.

    It feels like getting a hit with Nemesis is you working with your character to do a good job. Getting a hit with Pyramid Head feels like you've triumphed over the bad controls that have been baked into the character himself.

  • A strong killer which has a unique form of map pressure, instead of him going all over the place he can stay territorial while sending people out of his zone, allowing him to keep the game at a steady pace

  • He was fun before the nerf. Now he's too clunky for me. I rarely touch him these days.

  • @Adamant_Tepig said:

    Even though I haven't played Silent Hill 2, I've loved playing as Pyramid Head since I got him in my roster of available killers. I still like him these days since I think he's strong and fair.

    What about you guys? Do you share the same sentiment or is it different (my bet is because Pyramid Head players use Torment to focus on tunneling survivors out 24/7, which I do my best not to do)?

    Did they ever fix his out of sync animations?

  • No clue, I just remember going into game one day, seeing his animations were a bit slower than what I remember, but got used to it.

  • I've only played the remastered versions of Silent Hill 2 and Silent Hill 3 (I wanted to play the originals and Silent Hill 1 but I don't have a PS1, PS2, or PS3).

    As for Pyramid Head himself, I think he's a fun killer to play as (especially if you have the right perk build). He can feel a bit clunky at times (probably due to his animation nerf), but overall he's a really fun killer to play as.

  • I'm going to be biased, but I'm a huge Silent Hill fan, so I'll often play him.

    As both a survivor and killer, I enjoy any match involving him. He's got a unique playstyle, is one of the few killers who feel unnerving to face (alongside Oni and Myers) and has a power which is strong yet counterable.

    I'd say he's one of the few killers who for me feels like they're in the sweet spot for how a killer ideally should be in terms of difficulty and fairness.