Is there any ETA on the window/pallet vault change?

Does anybody know when window/pallet vaults will be server sided like with what they did for pallet stuns? It's extremely annoying to have a decent pallet drop system but then can be hit over a pallet when you are standing on the complete opposite side of it.

Comments

  • Just ask the developers for a gun to shoot the killers with don't be shy.

  • Hook validation when?

  • @gendoss said:

    Does anybody know when window/pallet vaults will be server sided like with what they did for pallet stuns? It's extremely annoying to have a decent pallet drop system but then can be hit over a pallet when you are standing on the complete opposite side of it.

    As far as I know, they are.

  • @Myla said:

    Just ask the developers for a gun to shoot the killers with don't be shy.

    A gun for survivors = server sided pallet vaulting...?

  • I definitely wouldn't be against it, the drop down windows are the biggest offenders of hits that should not connect for some reason.

  • as it stands I can get a grab when I try after the fast vault noise. it already seems to work against the killer. it isn't needed

  • When grabs get validated instead of some worthless ass swing change.

  • It'd become very difficult for the killer to gauge whether a hit at a vault will work or not. Visual distance is the only indicator you get, and if that's not reliable...

  • They will definitely buff the survivor vault before fixing killer grabs. I would wager they'll do it before they fix the fake scream/blood feedback killers already get, too.

  • @Impartiality said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2695778#Comment_2695778

    That is the validation lol, clearly don’t understand how it works 🤦‍♂️

    No it just converts the grab to a swing that may or may not even hit the survivor

  • @Impartiality said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2695810#Comment_2695810

    Yeah because the grab gets validated when the server realises it shouldn’t have been a grab, but to not ######### the killer up it gives a hit

    The swing doesn't hit because the grab freezes up for five seconds before finally converting to a swing when the survivor's already over in Tombouctou. Of course it misses; the game literally locks up when it's deciding what to do and the swing only works if the game handles it fast enough.

    I don't trust validation to work properly. And of course I'm going to protest a paradigm that just shifts the problem around. Killers have been getting the short end of the stick lately when it comes to validation, but at least it's not like this across the board. Genuinely bullshit hits are a rare enough problem when I play survivor that the shift to making your in-game feedback as killer completely unreliable does not seem worth it to me. Playing killer is stressful enough without having to factor the survivor's ping into whether or not you can hit them.

  • @gendoss said:

    Does anybody know when window/pallet vaults will be server sided like with what they did for pallet stuns? It's extremely annoying to have a decent pallet drop system but then can be hit over a pallet when you are standing on the complete opposite side of it.

    no idea, but definitely there is a window hit validation(also affect pallets) .. sadly only works 1/50 of the times... and the killer needs to have 400 of ping or more to start getting there hits rejected. but  yeah most of the times doesn't trigger... like in this video Dead By Daylight On 1000+ Ping... - YouTube

    But yeah, I would like to see a proper window/pallet vault hit validation, gets really frustrating for survivors getting hit from miles away after vaulting because the killer has a bad connection

  • Vaults are not as simple to validate for as stuns and Dead Hard. Stun events and DH invincibility simply make a successful hit impossible within their respective timing windows, which means that validation can be as simple as rejecting any hit event arriving on the server within these timing windows after a stun event/DH actuation has been registered by server. This is fair since the player with the lower latency to the server will be favoured on a first-come-first-serve basis, and it doesn't require much of any complicated logic run by the server to determine whether a hit was valid or not.

    Vaults on the other hand do of course not make successful hits impossible - you can be hit in the run-up phase locking into the vault, during the vault animation itself, and it is even possible to be hit through windows after the vault, up to a certain distance. This means that the validation logic cannot simply be to reject any hit arriving after a survivor's vault event is registered by the server. You would have to have actual hit calculations done on the server that take the player positions and speeds into account and check whether at gamestate X a hit would be possible given the attack range (basic and special attacks, both of which can have varying ranges). This would require the server to do a lot more complicated work, and I suspect the reason why we do not have validation for anything but stuns and DH is that BHVR does not want to do hit reg calculations on the servers because it would increase the load on them and perhaps deteriorate performance, and so they would potentially have to pay for more or better servers.

    It could be possible to implement a dirty version of event-specific validation for vaults, namely that you use the maximum time it takes for a survivor to get from the vault actuation into a range within which they physically cannot any longer be hit, and implement a validation rule that any hit will be rejected that arrives on the server after this vault actuation + Xms time needed to get outside of hit range has passed. But again, this would be dirty - it would only work for hits that register after vaults, the server would have to check whether the killer is actually on the opposite side of the vault from the survivor at the time of the hit, exceptions would have to be made for projectile attacks as well as any other special attacks that can reach through windows and over pallets (e. g. Victor pounce, Nemesis tentacle), and it also has to be kept in mind that survivors don't automatically keep running after a vault (at some vault locations it's even physically impossible to run straight away from the window), and so basing the validation on the mere assumption that the survivor kept running instantly after the vault is not perfect. Since it is impossible to be hit over pallets once you are a certain distance into the vault this method would be less dirty for pallet vault hit validation though.

  • @Impartiality said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2695849#Comment_2695849

    You clearly don’t play survivor much or don’t loop much in an efficient way. Killers get dodgy hits multiple times a game when vaulting. Killers get grabs messed so infrequently it makes no difference. It’s also how grabs are validated, whether or not the validation works properly I can’t say but if everything worked perfectly and server based, it would benefit survivors way more than it would killers

    It's almost as if the game was originally designed to work off the of the killer's input over the survivor's because killers have a far more difficult job and need to know that their action inputs will directly translate to predictable consequences, while dodgy results on a survivor side is far less disastrous, because the other 3 survivors are free to keep doing gens without hassle.

  • I hope you realize you need Killer players for this game to work

  • @Impartiality said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2695849#Comment_2695849

    You clearly don’t play survivor much or don’t loop much in an efficient way. Killers get dodgy hits multiple times a game when vaulting. Killers get grabs messed so infrequently it makes no difference. It’s also how grabs are validated, whether or not the validation works properly I can’t say but if everything worked perfectly and server based, it would benefit survivors way more than it would killers

    Nice try, but I have 2000 hours on this game and half of them are on survivor. I'm an adequate looper, I just don't care if I get hit over a vault unless I was several meters away - as I said, truly bullshit hits as opposed to the bit of give I expect from the game. If it's just a little distance under a drop window and I go down, or a hit 0.75 seconds after I vault... tough tits for me, because I can't imagine how the hell I would play killer against survivors more competent than the average potato if vaulting a window always favored the survivor. Because as you yourself admitted, server validation is survivor-sided, because the inaccuracies between display distance and real distance affect the killer more. Loops are tight enough as it is; what you're proposing would invalidate even successful mindgames and force several more revolutions around every TL wall and window loop just to ensure a hit. The game is not balanced at high level play and this change would exacerbate that by making high-level survivor tactics even more of an uphill battle to handle than they currently are. I think Bloodlust would become mandatory to deal with chained window vaults, and god would that be a mess.

    Being hit through a pallet was bogus, and I'll take the occasional fake scream for that, but I'm way more willing to play in a DBD where this particular part of gameplay stays far away from sever validation. Killers can at least get rid of pallets and render the issue moot if validation/ping disparity seems to be a major issue in that game.

    I'm not blind to issues plaguing both sides of the game. On the survivor end, I want information buffs to solo queue and inbuilt protections/deterrents for camping and tunneling. But when it comes to this? Killer QoL is low right now and this change would be like taking a hammer to a glass window in that regard.

  • To be fair I think thats necessary. Lunges are the worst ofender on that.

  • This would butcher almost all of the killer roster as 90% of killers are completely reactionary. By that I mean if you are playing any killer who isn't Blight, Spirit, Nurse right now if they get to a vault point you can still go for a hit and depending on latency still damage them. If the survivor was validated such that any press of spacebar granted them invuln as long as they made it 500-1000 ms prior to the killer pressing M1 then MANY killer hits at such points would get validated. You might say that's great! But maps would need to be completely rebalanced for this (we are still in the midst of map rebalance part 1). There would be way way too many vault points and way too many close together if they basically sided with the survivor client version of events all the time and rolled back killer hits.


    This COULD work if every killer had some way to punish/prevent a survivor from going into vault locations but as of now only blight/spirit/nurse can plan ahead and react in time. Anyone else just has to dutifully chase the survivor and rely on the +15% movespeed(and maybe mind games, but mind gameable loops are few and far between).

  • Probably when they decide to finish what they started and recode the entire system with dedicated servers in mind and not all P2P minus like.. 2 things.

  • Hit validation for balance landing and sprint burst when? Lol