What's your opinion on exhaustion perks and should they be on a token system.

I'm curious about the strength of exhaustion perks and I wonder what are other people's opinions on them. So you think they are too strong and if they are sould they be on a token system. Like 3 tokens then you can't use it anymore?

Comments

  • I think exhaustions are fine, they are the survivor versions slowdowns. Though I think the DH validation and invincibility frames were a bit much, objectively the strongest use of DH is for distance opposed to tanking a hit.

  • @SomberNokk said:

    I think exhaustions are fine, they are the survivor versions slowdowns. Though I think the DH validation and invincibility frames were a bit much, objectively the strongest use of DH is for distance opposed to tanking a hit.

    Im a Huntress main so i don't mind they get the distance, But they can also negate a hatchet hit, and get the distance.

    So im happy for them to use it as a movement buff, but when that Hatchet hits them in the back and the invincibilty negates it just makes me cringe and tunnel the prick harder.

  • Some impact the game far too much. DH and Sprint Burst in particular. Especially the former. It's just far too much power in ONE perk even if it has a decent cooldown. I'm uncertain how to balance them because, should we eliminate DH, I don't think a general nerf would be fine. Smash Hit and even Head On are by no means that impactful.

    Exhaustion should probably aim to be as good as Lithe is. Somewhat contextual but overall good. SB and DH are just stupidly free with wayyyyy too many returns.

  • I think exhaustion Status could do with some further downside, not too heavy but something.. it feels like you are shooting yourself in your foot as surv if you don’t use an exhaustion perk currently…

    tried to make a concept for this along with a new idea of a surv item:

    @Mooks said:

    Exhaustion Suggestion:

    Exhaustion in its current state pretty much does nothing but prevent the survivor to use exhaustion perks. IMO this feels like using one exhaustion perk feels almost mandatory as it doesnt have any negative effects. Also exhaustion addons from killers only have use when the survs are running exhaustion perks and are rendered useless if the perk is used before the effect can be applied or if no surv has any exhaustion perk to begin with.

    Thus I think the exhaustion effect should gain additional (negative) effects for the survivors, my suggestion:

    • Louder breathing, which should not get negated by Iron Will
    • Small penalty (max. 9%) on all action speeds (Vaulting, Repairing, Cleansing, Healing, Sabotaging, Unhooking, Opening gates, Unlocking chests)

    Vigil will get the additional effect to negate these new effects only for the person running the perk. Its other effects will stay the same.

    Item: Water Bottle

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/H8F3ATRNIGAA/bottle.png

    General

    Drinking from the bottle has an animation that lasts a few seconds so you cant just use an exhaustion perk and instantly trigger the item effect. Also the effect only takes place if you are already exhausted, drinking while not exhausted doesn't give any benefits (maybe some additional effect given through an addon).

    Drinking from the water bottle negates the new negative exhaustion effects that are described above, but it let the exhaustion go aways completely, so exhaustion perks are still not usable.

    The water bottle has a limited number of uses, 1 charge is one use, once started the charge used up even if the animation is interrupted. Effects only take effect if animation is completed uninterrupted. Interruption might be: Sprinting (normal moving is locked, you can cancel the animation with sprinting though), getting hit, any other action like cleansing, repairing, healing, vaulting.

    Rarity

    Rarity might increase number of charges as well as reduce the animation time.

    Example (numbers should obviously be determined by someone with more sense of game desing than me, also testing):

    • Yellow: 2 charges, 5 second animation per charge
    • Green: 2 charges, 3.5 second animation per charge
    • purple: 4 charges, 4 second animation per charge

    Addons

    Addons might be herbs or fruit you out into water to make it more refreshing/tasteful as well as fizz.

    Addons may reduce the animation times. Also they could give small boosts/effects for a limited time after drinking (such as one very rare addon will reduce your vaulting speed for the next 20 seconds)

    Some of my other concepts (Feedback and suggestions always welcome):

    Killers: The Ice Queen, Hannibal, Charlie(The Darkness), The Blair Witch, The Firebreather, The Photographer

    Survivors: Aria Morrison, Lukas Schmidt, Paitoon Saeli

    Survivor Items: Lighter, Water Bottle, Pocket Knife, Sling Shot, Spray Paint Cans, Salt Pouch, Smoke Bomb, Voodoo Doll, Smudge Sticks

    Game mechanics: Horror tropes, Expanded survivor objectives, Exhaustion Rework, Spiderwebs


  • @Barbarossa2020 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2683921#Comment_2683921

    Im a Huntress main so i don't mind they get the distance, But they can also negate a hatchet hit, and get the distance.

    So im happy for them to use it as a movement buff, but when that Hatchet hits them in the back and the invincibilty negates it just makes me cringe and tunnel the prick harder.

    The problem arises when you play an M1 who has very little counter to DH for distance. Sure Pyramid head, Huntress and so on can shut down a DH for distance before the chase gets elongated for another 30 seconds or so but whats Ghostface supposed to do about it?

  • I think all exhaustion perks are fine (Dead Hard being an exception). Putting exhaustion perks on a token system would make them weaker and less appealing.

  • @SomberNokk said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2683928#Comment_2683928

    The problem arises when you play an M1 who has very little counter to DH for distance. Sure Pyramid head, Huntress and so on can shut down a DH for distance before the chase gets elongated for another 30 seconds or so but whats Ghostface supposed to do about it?

    Ghostface can teabag smoothly which is superior to any other killer move.

    obvi.

    just look at how strong teabagging is for survivors!

  • @SomberNokk said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2683928#Comment_2683928

    The problem arises when you play an M1 who has very little counter to DH for distance. Sure Pyramid head, Huntress and so on can shut down a DH for distance before the chase gets elongated for another 30 seconds or so but whats Ghostface supposed to do about it?

    Yes and no, I find alot of them are using D.H when in a narrow spot to negate the hatchet, so they're already at ranged and not using it for a distance maker.

    And ranged killers are slower, So our ranged power is negated from the invincibility of D.H and were slower to catch up.

  • @Barbarossa2020 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2683936#Comment_2683936

    Yes and no, I find alot of them are using D.H when in a narrow spot to negate the hatchet, so they're already at ranged and not using it for a distance maker.

    And ranged killers are slower, So our ranged power is negated from the invincibility of D.H and were slower to catch up.

    DH was literally designed for invincibility, so if they're using it that way against a Huntress, its OK IMO. The whole distance thing may be more of a problem for other Killers, but thats where its also used outside of the design intention

    (I also play Huntress a fair amount)

  • This game is balanced around exhaustion and slowdown perks but totally shouldn't.

    Exhaustion perks are so strong almost every survivor uses one. That's just wrong

  • I don't think they should be token based

    They're not OP in my opinion

  • I'm fine with them as they are. The only one which needs a complete rework is Dead Hard, because it power creeps every other. Smash Hit and Head On could actually use buffs.

  • I think Dead hard is fine. It's validation I have a problem with and it seems to be winning interactions with killer powers most of the time. Like it shouldn't be canceling my ambush with pig but okay. This also happens with blight where I usually time a swing expecting a dead hard but gets validated instantly and I'm just locked into place.

  • DH is broken now with the validation thing, it takes way less skill to use considering you have waaay more room to use it now, at least before you had to predict a few ms before the killer goes for the hit.

    I understand that being exhausted on the ground sucked, but devs didn't "fix" the problem, they just moved it to the killer side. Personally i find current DH in the top 3 best perks alongside iron will and maybe CoH.

  • @dspaceman20 said:

    I'm curious about the strength of exhaustion perks and I wonder what are other people's opinions on them. So you think they are too strong and if they are sould they be on a token system. Like 3 tokens then you can't use it anymore?

    as long as distortion becomes an exhaustion perk.

  • @SomberNokk said:

    I think exhaustions are fine, they are the survivor versions slowdowns. Though I think the DH validation and invincibility frames were a bit much, objectively the strongest use of DH is for distance opposed to tanking a hit.

    Don't forget fake dead hard, it's a thing now. In many matches, I run back at killer without activating my dead hard, they turn around to follow me and they assume I used my dead hard in split second, then when they turn back at me again to lunge, I dead hard. This is and must be the new way of using dead hard. All good killers wait it out.

  • I think exhaustion should be more impactful as a status effect. Currently it only operates as a cooldown for 'exhaustion' perks. I wish they would implement the 'fatigued' running where survivors are slightly slower while exhausted, and perhaps make survivors 25-50% louder, additively to overcome iron will. Which means stridor could affect it again. I feel this would make exhaustion perks more risk/reward and force survivors to think more critically about their use in and out of chase.

  • @Impartiality said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2683956#Comment_2683956

    Who said it wasn’t designed to get distance. It’s first effect described is press active ability to dash forward

    I dunno but I've seen many people state around the forums that it wasn't designed for distance, obviously anything you see on the internet is true.

    It's designed to avoid a hit. The invincibility does that, whether or not the dash was well timed around a hit.

    It is most effective when used for distance and extending a loop, but do you honestly think the devs and game testers were playing DBD to that level back then?

  • @Impartiality said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2684071#Comment_2684071

    Yes it’s designed to avoid a hit which is exactly what using it for distance does. You avoid getting hit on the way to a pallet or window.

    It’s just like killer perks and powers that are designed to help you get a hit.

    And no they probably didn’t play at that level but if it doesn’t extend a loop then what’s the point of the perk?

    Good point. I dunno, I wasn't playing the game back in 2017 so I don't even know what the standards of looping were back then.

    I'd just assume it was used in the way you see new players use it when they DH into a corner and on average waste 3.2 seconds of the Killers time.

    My main point anyway was the huntress main guy complaining about people dodging hatchets with DH. People typically complain about DH to extend a loop so I feel we shouldn't now complain about it just for dodging hits generally as well. Otherwise it sounds like the argument is to remove the perk entirely.

  • @Impartiality said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2684141#Comment_2684141

    Neither do I, and that probably was how dead hard was used at the time. But if that is the only use it has then it’s a completely pointless perk, if it doesn’t extend to another loop it just does nothing pretty much apart from against ranged killers.

    I understand your point but it will get hated as a perk either way. The main reason I feel it’s hated so much is because it gives kind of a false positive in where you expect to get a hit but then you don’t. Whereas SB can waste just as much time if not more but it just doesn’t give the false positive of a hit

    This is pretty much why I dislike it. There is no surprise factor with SB. Someone will pull a SB on you and gain distance at the start of the chase, they already played their hand, and you can choose to pursue or let them get away, with the exception of sprint bursting away from a gen or something as the Killer approaches.

    DH on the other hand is pulled out in the middle of a chase. You already invested tens of seconds into a chase (even more if it is a good survivor), and then the DH is an insult to injury and can extend that chase to absurd lengths of time. I guess it's not so much a surprise factor anymore, since almost everyone runs it, but it's the fact that DH can really punish you for the time already committed to the chase. Not to mention, simply by it being used so much, that whole game of baiting out the DH has to be played with each and every injured Survivor, unless you absolutely know they are already exhausted, or already shown an exhaustion perk. That in itself is tedious and stops being fun when you are already extremely pressed for time.