As a Killer, the game feels bad if you don't 4K.

IMHO: This is the biggest problem with playing Killer at most levels of DBD - if you don't 3 or 4K, the game feels like you lost.

Take Survivor, you can still objectively have a fun, rewarding experience even if the killer 3Ks. Hell, sometimes even dying to insure the killer only 3Ks is still a fun, rewarding experience.

Imagine how bad this game would feel like as a Survivor, if even if you escaped, you felt like it was a loss unless everyone also escaped?

Yet, playing killer, failing to kill 2... and watching the survivors teabag you in the gate until you eventually escort them on their way feels like a loss.

Whether this is a community created perception image or something the game somehow cultivates, I think everything would get better if they found a way to fix this... because right now the Devs balance the game around 2 kills, 2 escape. Because of that, they're always going to seem to be against killers... because the very nature of their game design is to balance the killer around having a game that's perceived (by the community) to be a loss.

The game needs to feel better for a killer who only gets 2 kills... if this is how the Devs want to balance it.

Comments

  • I only feel like I lost when i have under 8 hooks.

  • Teabag is overrated.

    Someone pressing Ctrl repeatedly or not is actaully the same in terms of gameplay.

  • I wonder if part of this is just the disconnect between Survivor wins and Killer wins. Like, a survivor dies: they lost. A survivor escapes: they won. Very simple, binary yes/no on whether you met your win condition.

    The killer's objectives are to protect the gens and kill the survivors. So, anything less than a 4k before the gates are opened is still telling you you failed one of your objectives somehow. Down to 2k (which is ostensibly a draw), you've completely failed on more than half of what you're meant to do.

    A clean 4k is the only result where the game can clearly be said to be a win, and not "it's a win, but..."

  • @UMCorian said:

    IMHO: This is the biggest problem with playing Killer at most levels of DBD - if you don't 3 or 4K, the game feels like you lost.

    Take Survivor, you can still objectively have a fun, rewarding experience even if the killer 3Ks. Hell, sometimes even dying to insure the killer only 3Ks is still a fun, rewarding experience.

    Imagine how bad this game would feel like as a Survivor, if even if you escaped, you felt like it was a loss unless everyone also escaped?

    Yet, playing killer, failing to kill 2... and watching the survivors teabag you in the gate until you eventually escort them on their way feels like a loss.

    Whether this is a community created perception image or something the game somehow cultivates, I think everything would get better if they found a way to fix this... because right now the Devs balance the game around 2 kills, 2 escape. Because of that, they're always going to seem to be against killers... because the very nature of their game design is to balance the killer around having a game that's perceived (by the community) to be a loss.

    The game needs to feel better for a killer who only gets 2 kills... if this is how the Devs want to balance it.

    I'd actually say the opposite. As killer if I play really good and get hooks but don't get 4 kills, I still get good amount of BP, it feels great, but as Survivor even playing a good match then escaping doesn't feel rewarding, you get so little BP as survivor.

    Not to mention as killer I can just bring BBQ and play really casually and lose and get even more BP

  • I will quote myself from another thread. Playing chill as killer isn't an option and yes the game reward you only if you kill, If you don't kill anyone the experience is miserable.

    @Irisora said:

    If you have a high MMR like me and play like a slob you get two possible guarantee situations at the end..

    1. You won't kill anyone, but you don't get teabaged etc.
    2. You won't kill anyone and get teabaged and insulted in game chat.

    Yeah playing chill as killer is a viable choice... not really. You either play tryhard or you won't even get a single kill.

    The killers job is to kill if you don't get at least 1 or 2 kills you did wrong and not because you must, because it feels like it and the game make you of that, how?

    1. You didn't kill anyone? Entity displeased
    2. You didn't kill anyone? Survivors get cocky and mock in chat.

    Now if you think about DBD as Hello kitty online, where you don't have to kill anyone then play chill. But DBD is not hello kitty neither a chill game and never was.

    Now if you play as you should which is tryharding you get:

    1. Satisfaction for killing, rank and more BP.
    2. A heavenly silent end game chat were no one even say gg.

    What do you prefer? My choice is clear.


  • I agree -- almost every outcome feels like a loss as killer. Partly because the other players treat you like you lost no matter what you did and partly because the game constantly tells you it's "displeased" and gives you other cues that your performance isn't good enough.

  • @RainehDaze said:

    I wonder if part of this is just the disconnect between Survivor wins and Killer wins. Like, a survivor dies: they lost. A survivor escapes: they won. Very simple, binary yes/no on whether you met your win condition.

    The killer's objectives are to protect the gens and kill the survivors. So, anything less than a 4k before the gates are opened is still telling you you failed one of your objectives somehow. Down to 2k (which is ostensibly a draw), you've completely failed on more than half of what you're meant to do.

    A clean 4k is the only result where the game can clearly be said to be a win, and not "it's a win, but..."

    Yep this is a large part of the issue:

    DbD can't really make up its mind if generators are the main killer goal or if kills are.

    As it can be viewed as either:

    You get kills to complete your generator protection.(Kills side objective and generators main objective)

    Or

    You protect generators to complete your kill objective.(Kills main objective and generators side objective)

    Yet DbD can't make up its mind which one it wants you to focus on as getting fast kills but losing gens fast can get you entity displeased meanwhile long generator defense but no kills can get you merciless killer or above.

    This means the only way for a killer to know they have truly won is to complete BOTH objectives aka get a 4k(or 3k with hatch) with generators remaining as the game itself can't decide if either individually is a win.

  • @Lochnload_exe said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/297634/as-a-killer-the-game-feels-bad-if-you-dont-4k

    I'd actually say the opposite. As killer if I play really good and get hooks but don't get 4 kills, I still get good amount of BP, it feels great, but as Survivor even playing a good match then escaping doesn't feel rewarding, you get so little BP as survivor.

    Not to mention as killer I can just bring BBQ and play really casually and lose and get even more BP

    I think that's how they want folks to feel, but they're sorta relying on the players themselves to shift community perception.

    Problem is, I do feel this view is a minority one in the community at large... and I wonder if there's something the Devs could do in the design philosophy or even just the way they frame things to make a 2K game with lots of hooks feel like a victory rather than a defeat.

  • Killer is so unfun now. I just do my daily now, and I used to be a killer main. I was old rank 1 killer, rank 12 was the highest surv I got

  • Ya, that's why I 4K. ;)

  • I still think the balance needs to be fixed by starting at the source. The power role. There are 4 survivors and 1 killer, but even crappy survivors (I would know, I'm one of them) can pre-drop 15 pallets, move themselves to a somewhat decent double L/T-wall window Tileset, take another 20+ seconds to hit, then move to a dead spot of the map with dead hard and soak up an absolutely LUDICROUS amount of the killer's time.

    In a game where the killer is supposed to be stronger than the survivors that should never, ever happen.

    Getting survivors to respect the killer role starts with adjusting the game so survivors feel like their chase isn't a joyride, but an exercise in attrition where every second they buy is valuable. Rather then, "I can legit loop and W this guy forever."

  • @Lochnload_exe said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/297634/as-a-killer-the-game-feels-bad-if-you-dont-4k

    I'd actually say the opposite. As killer if I play really good and get hooks but don't get 4 kills, I still get good amount of BP, it feels great, but as Survivor even playing a good match then escaping doesn't feel rewarding, you get so little BP as survivor.

    Not to mention as killer I can just bring BBQ and play really casually and lose and get even more BP

    This is me also. As a Killer, if I get a good amount of Bloodpoints, then I don't care if everyone escapes. Because survivor bloodpoints are so low, I only feel like it's a win if I escape.

  • @Munqaxus said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2675810#Comment_2675810

    This is me also. As a Killer, if I get a good amount of Bloodpoints, then I don't care if everyone escapes. Because survivor bloodpoints are so low, I only feel like it's a win if I escape.

    yeah for survivor an escape is a win, but as killer while i define a 3k+ as a win, even a 1k gives great BP and a loss is still learning experience for whatever killer i'm playing

  • @Impartiality said:

    This whole thread and most of these replies just show how entitled killers are on this forum.

    How can people possible say it’s fine for survivors to lose and die but if killers lose it’s such a big deal and the game isn’t fun.

    You all need to just stop thinking a 4K is expected and just play the game to have fun and improve. If your goal is to improve rather than winning you will keep getting better rather than just complain all the time

    I don't see it as killer entitlement - I genuinely think most killers would like it if the game felt better if you only got 2 kills.

    The problem is the game and the community as a whole. The game kicks Killers in the nuts who only get 2 kills, despite the devs saying: "2 kills, 2 escapes is what we go for"... so when the game works as intended, at least 2 survivors get pips and the killer, most likely, doesn't... unless it was a silly game that went 20 minutes for 10 hooks or something

    Then you have the community perception, which is just a much larger problem IMHO. If a killer doesn't kill them, so many Survivors think they can click, teabag and make absolute asses of themselves. Heck, it's the highest unvoted post in this thread, the second one.

    I'm not saying there aren't toxic killers too, but a killer is 4x more likely to run into toxic people than survivors as that's the nature of the beast.

    I genuinely have no idea how to fix that.

  • @landromat said:

    The only way to not get teabagged is 4k so yeah, you feel punished if you don't 4k

    DBD main here. I can still teabag u, before Ive got killed. So what? I mean everyone has its own win conditions. Before the emblem system was reworked I was focused on having most BP as possible... and I think it was fine. Nowadays Ive got nice matches with 8 hooks and 4 escapes or bad matches by destroying and 4k'ing a stoopid team with 5-6 hooks. For me now it is not the amount of kills, which guarantee a good match.

  • @Bartlaus said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2671471#Comment_2671471

    DBD main here. I can still teabag u, before Ive got killed. So what? I mean everyone has its own win conditions. Before the emblem system was reworked I was focused on having most BP as possible... and I think it was fine. Nowadays Ive got nice matches with 8 hooks and 4 escapes or bad matches by destroying and 4k'ing a stoopid team with 5-6 hooks. For me now it is not the amount of kills, which guarantee a good match.

    for you, but not for me

  • Honestly this sounds more like a you-problem than a balancing problem.

  • @StarLost said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/297634/as-a-killer-the-game-feels-bad-if-you-dont-4k

    Eh.

    I have no problem with losing a good game or winning a good game.

    What I don't like is:

    • One sided stomps going either way.
    • Being gloated at by toxic survivors after I get stomped (put on a brave face if you want, but I think this gets to everyone after a while).
    • MMR issues - being thrown to a significantly more skilled group of survivors because they've been in queue for a while, as sort of a snack. This inevitably ends up in the above.
    • Games where multiple gens pop before I even locate my first survivor to chase.

    This is true. If my english wasnt that bad, Id have written exactly the same stuff :3

  • I mean teabagging is a childish behaviour, but u cant balance the game for 4k. No one would play survivor anymore.

  • @Bartlaus said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2686130#Comment_2686130

    I mean teabagging is a childish behaviour, but u cant balance the game for 4k. No one would play survivor anymore.

    something needs to be done about toxicity then

  • Is this a joke? Please tell me it is because it's ridiculous what are you saying. You are playing games just to win? That's sad. You have matches when you win and also when you lose. Simple

  • FOR YOU its not a win unless it's a 4k.

    For me it's a win with 4 stacks of bbq.

    We are not the same.

  • @StarLost said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2674235#Comment_2674235

    This is my big gripe - one toxic game turns all my remaining games of the evening into brutal grudge matches, which isn't fun for me (or the survivors either I'm guessing).

    This - 100%.

    It's uncanny how much a toxic survivor who's better at the game has the ability to make a killer feel really bad.

1 2 ›