What Are The Best Map(s) In The Game? What Are The Worst?
Not talking about which side it favors - which map is the best designed or your personal favorite/bugbear for whatever reason?
For me:
Best
Yamaoka: This map just oozes atmosphere. Tons of fun little easter eggs and novel features. It's big and dense enough to give survivors a chance, but it's not overpoweringly huge (Ormond) or filled with pseudo-infinites and obnoxious chains of safe vaults and pallets.
Midwich: Really captures the Silent Hill 'feel'. Tons of little jumpscares and interactive scenery. Layout is somewhat predictable.
Ormond: Yes, it's a bit obnoxious on certain killers, but I just like 'snow' maps. For some reason, I often have really good, close games here.
Worst
RPD: Whether I win or lose, whether I'm playing survivor or killer, I dread playing here. I'll sometimes go an entire game without seeing a specific survivor. People will die on hooks because nobody can figure out how to get to them. It looks great, but feels like a textbook example of 'style over substance'.
Haddonfield: I think all that needs to be said has been said here. Why BHVR have never fixed the ridiculous 'House of Pain' infinite...I have no idea. The map just has too much density for it's size. It's boring, ugly and frustrating.
Grim Pantry: I have no idea what's up with this map sometimes, but I'll have situations where there are just no hooks within realistic range, and I'll spend ages schlepping survivors around trying to reach one.
Comments
My favourite/most enjoyable maps, and the ones I think are probably the most balanced:
Yamaoka
Dead Dawg
Temple of Purgation
Hawkins (RIP)
Least favourites:
RPD
The Game
Coldwind
Mothers Dwelling
Dead Dawg is...I guess I've just played way too much of it recently. If I get a 3gen here, it feels like there is no way to lose. I do like the visuals.
The Game is just ugly. I don't mind playing here, but it needs a facelift.
Speaking purely for aesthetics.
Top 3:
Midwich and Lery’s come close as well
Bottom 3:
Eyrie...I'll have to see what it looks like in game. At first glance it seems a little 'plain'.
Coldwind - really depends on the spawns. Some variations can be pretty enjoyable, some can be tooth-grindingly annoying.
You mean the original map? Weirdly, I preferred the 'darker' variation. If they'd tweaked the lighting a bit to simulate the David Fincher style greens and blues of the film series, I'd probably love it.
As it stands, I just think it's a bit dull.
Hmm, let's see...
Favourite:
Least favourite:
I love the look of the map. It’s different. I love the sand and the fact that it looks like you’re inside of a painting with the ink dripping upwards. It’s so cool looking.
Coldwind can be a pain to play on sometimes but speaking purely from an aesthetic standpoint, I love the fact that it is a daytime map and it looks so much different from any other map.
Best
Hawkins(gone but not forgotten)
midwich
temple of purgation
worst
RPD
RPD
and
RPD
One thing about DDS that always makes me laugh - I swear, I should do a montage of me turning the corner and attacking the body on the chair while a survivor runs off into the distance.
Gets me every time.
I've never found Midwich to be too dark for some reason. My only complaint would be that the gates are always far too close together, which means I can frequently turn a game around just by stalling things out.
I'm looking forward to it!
Coldwind...blaaah. If only survivors temporarily knocked down corn or something when they ran through it.
Yeah, I'll miss Hawkins. Great map, really captured the source material.
Favourites, in no particular order:
Pale Rose
Temple of Purgation
Father Campbell’s (when it’s not too bad)
Least Favourite, again in no particular order:
Dead Dawg (over-exposure reasons, mostly)
Haddonfield
Badham variants (the original one was fine, imo. The variants, particularly 3 and up are not.)
Honourable favourite: Weirdly, RPD. I’ve never even played any RE games, yet I’ve really come to like this map. I know the layout fairly well too, so I don’t get lost anymore. I only really did in the first few games, anyway.
[edit:] I completely forgot about Léry’s. Always was one of my favourites. Not particularly favourable towards all killers, but I just like it, I guess.
Honourable disliked: The Game. Matches greatly differ on this one for me. I don’t hate the map per se, but it can be really infuriating to smash pallet after pallet. I did find that not breaking any walls sometimes greatly trips up survivors, guaranteeing hits. Ultimately very dependent on the survivors how this map goes, and whether I’m (mentally) prepared for it.
Is Chapel the map with that little 'carnival' in the back? Man, that horse jumpscares me every single match.
The Game...yeah. It can be pallet hell. What I've found is just to get as many out of the way as early as possible. I seldom lose on this map when I do this.
I really like Coal Tower.
I really do not like Badham or Dead Dawg
I honestly cannot remember the last time I got Coal Tower. It must literally have been over a month.
It's always Dead Dawg, Haddonfield, RPD, Temple or Swamp. Offering or no offering.
I'll sometimes send us to Yamaoka just to break the monotony.
Best: Both of the Asylum Maps and Midwich. I really like the aesthetic on these maps.
Worst: Rotten Fields, Wrecker's Yard, Shelter Woods, The Pale Rose, and Grim Pantry. All are just boring in design and gameplay.
Best maps are one with grass. Macmillan, Coldwind, Haddon, Crotus, Badham, red forest, Yamaoka
Indoor, Autoheaven, Crow are bad
Pale Rose is okay.
Pantry is one of those maps, like Haddonfield, that needs a rework badly. The hook placement is just so bizarre.
Best Maps
Worst Maps:
Best Maps:
Hawkins
Dead Dawg Saloon
Midwich
Worst Maps:
Haddonfield
Ormond
Mother's Dwelling
The Game
A couple of Badham Maps
Favorites:
Aesthetic-wise favorites:
Dislikes: