An Odd Observation Regarding MMR/SBMM And Matchmaking.

I know a lot of people are down on the new SBMM system, but as someone who learned the game during the 'ranks' era, it's so much better now.

Rather than every game being a complete crapshoot, usually involving me getting skunked by SWFs with thousands of more hours played than me, I now get a good match maybe 60% of the time.

The other 40% of the time...something's up. It'll routinely put me up against crazily good SWFs, time and time again, and I'll get stomped. Multiple times in a row. Regardless if it's one of my likely higher MMR 'good' killers or one of my crappy ones.

I'm having one of those evenings again - and I noticed something.

At times when I'm getting mostly decent matches, my queue times are usually in the region of 30 seconds to 1 minute, sometimes slightly longer if I'm playing at offpeak times.

However, when I'm getting bizarre matchups, my queues are instant.

This makes me wonder...are BHVR turning this on and off sometimes?

If so, I wonder why.

Comments

  • The MMR system is good for killers and SWFs, and a complete disaster for soloQ players.

  • @Junylar said:

    The MMR system is good for killers and SWFs, and a complete disaster for soloQ players.

    What?

    I'm...not sure if you understand how MMR works.

    It's actually better for solos than ranks were.

    Now, if you struggle as a random, it'll match you (when it's working correctly - again, my theory is that BHVR disable it sometimes for whatever reason) with proportionally weaker killers.

    The only reason it benefits SWFs is because it's much easier to smurf down your MMR as a coordinated group, then stomp weaker killer players.

  • I'm not sure about turning the system off, but I do know they adjust what the soft cap for matchmaking purposes is if queues would be too long otherwise. Maybe that's it?

  • Yeah basically if theres an SWF out there whose MMR is too high to find a killer for them it will instead find them the quickest game possible. So they're not waiting all night for one game. Most matchmaking systems do something similar to that.

  • My games have gone like this:

    As Killer: Same two or three 4-man SWF's. Map offerings, good perks, solid players with over 2500 hours, the works. I sweat my ass off, sometimes I get a 2K, sometimes none, sometimes 4K. Depends on the night. Then immediately following that game, I get a whole bunch of people with under 300 hours. Rinse and repeat.

    As Survivor: I have two or three really good games with decent teammates and then five or six horrid games with bots.


    My theory is that BHVR takes the whole 50% winrate too seriously and that if you win a game, they try to make it so you can't win your next one by matching you up against people who are really good and by giving you ######### teammates.


    All together, vastly inferior to the Ranks system. Two years of work for this.

  • The devs explained this in a stream once: If there is already an established lobby, then the killer pulls out (probably after checking the survivors profiles), the team will be given priority matchmaking as they are already supposed to be in a game. The matchmaking system will not wait for a "more suitable" matchup.

    They explained this before MMR was implemented, but I suspect this has not changed.

  • @JawsIsTheNextKiller said:

    The devs explained this in a stream once: If there is already an established lobby, then the killer pulls out (probably after checking the survivors profiles), the team will be given priority matchmaking as they are already supposed to be in a game. The matchmaking system will not wait for a "more suitable" matchup.

    They explained this before MMR was implemented, but I suspect this has not changed.

    @throwaway79465468797 said:

    Yeah basically if theres an SWF out there whose MMR is too high to find a killer for them it will instead find them the quickest game possible. So they're not waiting all night for one game. Most matchmaking systems do something similar to that.

    This was my first thought too.

    Thing is - it would explain the odd instant queue into a nutso .TTV lobby.

    It doesn't explain why I'll get instant queues all evening.

  • @Junylar said:

    The MMR system is good for killers and SWFs, and a complete disaster for soloQ players.

    This. And if you fall into low mmr hell, you're going to a have a VERY,VERY,VERY tough time getting out of It. If you manage.

    My games now feels like a bunch of old Brown/Yellow players, selfcaring everywhere and urban evading in corners, scared to save me when I'm using frickin kindred

    And don't even get me started on how people are giving up on the first hook, everyone dying with 5 gens and so on... I might be bad, but at least I try to do gens and save with BT preferably away from the killer.

    I think solo Q really needs more ways to comms in game,and I'm not talking about Mic chat.

    One thing I like about mobile Version is that you can see your teams perks at the loading screen. This one is a good improvement

  • @BadLooperQ said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2626846#Comment_2626846

    This. And if you fall into low mmr hell, you're going to a have a VERY,VERY,VERY tough time getting out of It. If you manage.

    My games now feels like a bunch of old Brown/Yellow players, selfcaring everywhere and urban evading in corners, scared to save me when I'm using frickin kindred

    And don't even get me started on how people are giving up on the first hook, everyone dying with 5 gens and so on... I might be bad, but at least I try to do gens and save with BT preferably away from the killer.

    I think solo Q really needs more ways to comms in game,and I'm not talking about Mic chat.

    One thing I like about mobile Version is that you can see your teams perks at the loading screen. This one is a good improvement

    You assume that the killer is just anyone.

    It'll put you up against a killer of similar MMR, as long as things are working properly.

    The only thing that shouldn't be happening in this regard is an intermediate killer being put up against one crazily good survivor and 3 potatoes.

  • Some killers avoid swf, so if swf group is avoided multiple times for killer like u it will be instant. It's not about BHVR doing something crazy.

  • @R2k said:

    Some killers avoid swf, so if swf group is avoided multiple times for killer like u it will be instant. It's not about BHVR doing something crazy.

    If that was the case, then it would be something that happens from time to time, though.

    It's not like that.

    It's entire 6-10 game stretches where all my queues are instant.

  • @Pulsar said:

    My games have gone like this:

    As Killer: Same two or three 4-man SWF's. Map offerings, good perks, solid players with over 2500 hours, the works. I sweat my ass off, sometimes I get a 2K, sometimes none, sometimes 4K. Depends on the night. Then immediately following that game, I get a whole bunch of people with under 300 hours. Rinse and repeat.

    As Survivor: I have two or three really good games with decent teammates and then five or six horrid games with bots.

    My theory is that BHVR takes the whole 50% winrate too seriously and that if you win a game, they try to make it so you can't win your next one by matching you up against people who are really good and by giving you ######### teammates.

    All together, vastly inferior to the Ranks system. Two years of work for this.

    But 50/50 win rate is bALaNceD.

  • @StarLost said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2627041#Comment_2627041

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2626916#Comment_2626916

    This was my first thought too.

    Thing is - it would explain the odd instant queue into a nutso .TTV lobby.

    It doesn't explain why I'll get instant queues all evening.

    SWFs pop up more in the evening because everyone has more time to play together. That and group play boosts MMR, and I'm sure a lot of SWFs fall into that category within an hour or so of playing together. Even better if they all escape through exit gates.

  • @throwaway79465468797 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2628419#Comment_2628419

    SWFs pop up more in the evening because everyone has more time to play together. That and group play boosts MMR, and I'm sure a lot of SWFs fall into that category within an hour or so of playing together. Even better if they all escape through exit gates.

    Group play boosts MMR?

    Where did you hear this? It's something that I've specifically suggested because I didn't think it worked like that here.

    Also, 'evening' was an example. It can be any time. For instance, tonight things seem to be back to normal. 60-90 second queues, good matches.

  • @StarLost said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2626846#Comment_2626846

    What?

    I'm...not sure if you understand how MMR works.

    It's actually better for solos than ranks were.

    Now, if you struggle as a random, it'll match you (when it's working correctly - again, my theory is that BHVR disable it sometimes for whatever reason) with proportionally weaker killers.

    The only reason it benefits SWFs is because it's much easier to smurf down your MMR as a coordinated group, then stomp weaker killer players.

    Mmr is escaping/ kills

    so it does not accurately gauge your skill. I used to quickly get to rank one solo as survivor every rank reset with old emblem system. Now I’m being placed with people creeping around the map with spine chill and urban evasion. I started using bond to watch them. They run away at the first bit of chase music not realizing that they’re chasing someone else and they need to finish the Gen that’s almost done. Mmr does not work. If they creep around not contributing and escape because their team did all the work their mmr increases. That’s all it cares about. Escapes. So now as an experienced player I’m being placed with dumb players that I would think were trolling if it was happening before mmr was implemented. Same goes for killers. Tunnel and/or camp and be rewarded with an increased mmr with your kill.

  • @StarLost said:

    I know a lot of people are down on the new SBMM system, but as someone who learned the game during the 'ranks' era, it's so much better now.

    Rather than every game being a complete crapshoot, usually involving me getting skunked by SWFs with thousands of more hours played than me, I now get a good match maybe 60% of the time.

    The other 40% of the time...something's up. It'll routinely put me up against crazily good SWFs, time and time again, and I'll get stomped. Multiple times in a row. Regardless if it's one of my likely higher MMR 'good' killers or one of my crappy ones.

    I'm having one of those evenings again - and I noticed something.

    At times when I'm getting mostly decent matches, my queue times are usually in the region of 30 seconds to 1 minute, sometimes slightly longer if I'm playing at offpeak times.

    However, when I'm getting bizarre matchups, my queues are instant.

    This makes me wonder...are BHVR turning this on and off sometimes?

    If so, I wonder why.

    I've also noticed this.

    I think it happens when too many survivors are queueing (usually in the evenings when people get home from work and want to play SWF with their friends). A group of really good survivors have been waiting for so long that they'll get matched against the first killer to queue, regardless of their rating.

  • @StarLost said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2626846#Comment_2626846

    What?

    I'm...not sure if you understand how MMR works.

    It's actually better for solos than ranks were.

    Now, if you struggle as a random, it'll match you (when it's working correctly - again, my theory is that BHVR disable it sometimes for whatever reason) with proportionally weaker killers.

    The only reason it benefits SWFs is because it's much easier to smurf down your MMR as a coordinated group, then stomp weaker killer players.

    The problem comes when your rating gets too low. You get matched with worse survivors, but not worse killers.

    What I mean is that the skill floor for how bad a survivor can play and how much that can impact the match for their team is far worse than the killer's skill floor (as long as the killer isn't farming or AFK).