Why representation in media matters.

Very short post I'm putting here so I can link to it every single time a thread comes up, here's a University Thesis from a friend of mine that recieved a first pass (highest pass possible) explaining exactly why representation is important, and if you believe it's a waste of time I implore you to read it at least.

DISSERTATION SUBMITTED FOR THE AWARD OF BA (HONS) GAME ART CHESTER UNIVERSITY: MAY 2021 REPRESENTATION AND TOKENISM - THE FIGHT FOR LGBT VISIBILITY IN VIDEO GAMES CAMERON VICKERS ST. HELENS COLLEGE: 2020/21 CONTENTS Chapter 1: Introduction………………………………………………………………………………3 1.1 Aims ...

And also if you don't care about representation please follow your own advice and don't bash people who want it, you make yourself seem like you do care quite a bit

Comments

  • The king has returned from the pits of the ban chamber


    Also to anyone else seeing me respond to this, actually do read it, its worth your time

  • as a hispanic male, i am very excited and happy to see a hispanic male survivor in DBD

    I know that thesis was on LGBT representation, which I desperately also need to see more of, but just having anything, literally anything that isnt just a walking stereotype of my identity, feels so good.

  • @Mat_Sella said:

    as a hispanic male, i am very excited and happy to see a hispanic male survivor in DBD

    I know that thesis was on LGBT representation, which I desperately also need to see more of, but just having anything, literally anything that isnt just a walking stereotype of my identity, feels so good.

    Yeah, while it is on LGBT rep, the concept applies to all types.

    I'm really glad you're happy about the new survivor, too! :D

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    Very short post I'm putting here so I can link to it every single time a thread comes up, here's a University Thesis from a friend of mine that recieved a first pass (highest pass possible) explaining exactly why representation is important, and if you believe it's a waste of time I implore you to read it at least.

    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DKV2cNdnwODbNiqj47_doQhFxImVMDBB8doEh8h5UB4/edit

    And also if you don't care about representation please follow your own advice and don't bash people who want it, you make yourself seem like you do care quite a bit

    I agree.

  • tbh as long as they have a cool design, some fun perks and fit the game's universe - anyone and everyone should be welcome in the fog

    I mean hell I hated Trickster on release because of his design but over the months I like his inclusion and I'd be sad if BHVR suddenly put him on the chopping block.

    I'm curious to see what BHVR's work with their collaborators on the representation subject brings to the game although to be clear, I think BHVR is more than capable of doing it on their own without outside help. They've given us many iconic and cool characters already that fit many archetypes.

    Sure not all of them are homeruns, it's great they're trying to take steps to do it justice.

  • @mariachase1 said:

    It is interesting to see the result of their representation

    First post making no sense checks out

  • @mariachase1 said:

    It is interesting to see the result of their representation

    Sorry, but I have no damned clue what you just said, can you elaborate?

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    Very short post I'm putting here so I can link to it every single time a thread comes up, here's a University Thesis from a friend of mine that recieved a first pass (highest pass possible) explaining exactly why representation is important, and if you believe it's a waste of time I implore you to read it at least.

    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DKV2cNdnwODbNiqj47_doQhFxImVMDBB8doEh8h5UB4/edit

    And also if you don't care about representation please follow your own advice and don't bash people who want it, you make yourself seem like you do care quite a bit

    As a trans man who has a very feminine body type, I want to see a male trans survivor with the body type of Feng or Nea, I'd love to see it

  • As long as they look good and they stop giving people backpacks the more the merrier. Grew up playing Fantasy RPGs so playing somebody who looks nothing like you was never a problem. But if it makes people feel good why the hell not.

  • @Afius said:

    As long as they look good and they stop giving people backpacks the more the merrier. Grew up playing Fantasy RPGs so playing somebody who looks nothing like you was never a problem. But if it makes people feel good why the hell not.

    wait who has a backpack?

  • Specifically not a backpack per se but costumes with back accessories.