When Fans know better what's good for your game then the creators
https://youtu.be/HmjHYW9Aj58
Simple solutions that would make the game much better.
Not even hard things that need months of programming or anything.
But do we will get stuff like that? Or course not we talk about the dbd devs. We will get more skins, battle passes and more licensed characters so the devs can milk us but don't use the money for the game. Oh yeah and then the one update every 1 1/2 years that makes the game a bit better.
Comments
This is off topic but you know, your message would be better received if you didn't try to put down the devs and just tried to discuss the issues that you want to discuss. I'm not happy with all of their decisions, but in the end, they're just human and they have people they answer to. They still need to take the orders they get and provide results according of whats expected of them and they can't always do what they want since they can get fired and lose their livelihoods which will cause lots of trouble for supporting themselves and their families.
Not everything is as one dimensional as you think.
I think the community at large has many good ideas and many that do not work. It's good to realize that we're not professional game devs.
This is a pretty earnest reply. It's also pretty hypocritical in saying OP's being one-dimensional.
You're ultimately saying a nuanced take can't be summarized with "the devs ######### up" - which is empirically wrong, because the devs do ######### up. Sure, they're human. They're thus both fallible and susceptible to outside pressures - which is one of your points, but them having superiors and families to feed doesn't mean much when there's basically an open call for game devs in the industry to jump ship.
BHVR gluts itself on corporate and consumerist greed, and by and large gets a pass because of people saying "won't somebody think of the feefees of the people involved?"
In fairness, this is a cherry-picked list of actually good ideas. All you have to do is spend a few days on this forum to know that the majority of fans absolutely do not know better than the devs.
It is one dimensional because people only think about the game and how they think it should be with zero regards on what the devs have to go through and put up with. They don't consider the fact that they're employees and don't run the show. I don't see how I was being hypocritical in the slightest.
Yes, the devs do mess up, they're human and fallible to the pressures that you mention, but the loss of their jobs and having to answer to superiors needs to be considered when people are so quick to disparage the devs, and not just in this game, but with other companies. To go back to my original point, players need to stop being hostile to them and just rationally discuss the issues they have. They don't deserve the disrespect, especially when I've never seen them disrespect us.
You complain about Behaviour and their greed, but they are literally no different than any other corporation on the planet. You can hate the company all you want, just don't hate people trying to survive and make a living.
No hate on individuals at BHVR from me, save Cote - I don't jive well with smarm. Disappointment abounds, though, and people who screw up should be held to account. The devs aren't evil, but they're not in touch with their game, and they're not working with an eye towards the health of the community.
I say it elsewhere, I'll say it here: they're not a small indie company. They really don't deserve coddling, especially with all the benefit of the doubt and second chances the game and those devs have burned through. People should ideally refrain from supporting them monetarily until there's a semblance of game/community health taken to the forefront, and the community ought to seek a transparent influence on the game's direction.
If someone has a job, they choose to represent that vocation. Saying otherwise is just shirking responsibility.
I'm going to watch the video, but based on the thumbnail he suggests a ranked mode.
Ranked mode isn't going to fix anything. People will just go to the mode that let's them use the things they want to use.
Weird to click on a random thread on DBD forums and see my face lol
This is a tough discussion, right, because it's easy to say "do this and the game will be better" but it's considerably harder to actually be in that position and have to implement the thing (alongside the onslaught of new content that has got to be an absolute killer with a new chapter every 3 months).
I think at the end of the day Bhvr have their priorities and will be able to look at any given suggestion and say "It'll take this long and does/doesn't align with our end of year goals" and go from there. Right now they're focused on balance and content over quality of life, and I think that's okay. We've had a few good quality of life updates in the past and no doubt will have a few in the next 12 months too :)
Last thing: remember that the team doing skins isn't the same team doing coding. The art team will have different resource allocation to the dev team, and skins take considerably less time to make than general development. Skins are also the main source of revenue outside of DLCs. Having good skins doesn't mean that dev time is being lost.
((also thank you for sharing my video <3))
I'm 99% sure that implementing a "Ranked Mode" and "Removing all Perk Tiers" both would take months of programming each.
The former is an entirely new game mode, which immediately means it would take a great deal of internal testing and programming to complete. Moreover it's not even remotely clear that Ranked Mode is a good idea in the first place, having Ranked and Casual modes could be worse than having one mode like we have now.
"Removing all Perk Tiers" also would take a great deal of time. That's because you're talking about changing literally every perk in the game, as well as changing how people get perks in the Bloodwebs, and probably also changing costs of perks and such. Even if you hypothetically just wanted to remove all the Tier 1 and 2 perks it would be a big deal.
I'm ok with removing the BP cap. I know the devs have their own reason for why it exists though so I doubt it will be removed.
Custom Loadouts and Perk Searches are, again, not a "simple change". I'd be happy to have them in the game, but do you honestly think the devs didn't consider these already? I guarantee if it were that simple to put these features in the game they'd be there already.
I agree with him that being able to queue up Survivor and Killer challenges simultaneously is a good idea that probably is simpler than some of the ideas above. This one sounds like maybe something the devs could eventually do (and they seem to have hinted at this a teeny bit in the current event with specific two-tone challenges that can be completed by both survivors and killers.)
I also agree that the black circle around the aura of a hook when someone is hooked or around a generator when it's finished is kind of off putting. It complete obfuscates the distance between you and that hook or generator. I don't know why exactly that effect is there but I totally agree that it's kind of annoying.
I'm ambivalent on the generator skill checks failing if they appear right as you let go. After all, fixing the generators should be kind of risky, so having a bit of a risk of a penalty if you stop unexpectedly seems reasonable.
Finally Entity's Bell where once the gates are open the Killer can sound the bell and end the match with all remaining survivors counting as escaped sounds like a decent idea. Not a "simple one" to implement though, it would take a while to put in and test if they actually wanted to do it, but I certainly wouldn't mind it as a feature if they did put it in.
So TLDR, some of these are good ideas, most or them (maybe all but one) are not simple changes though.
I just wanna say as somebody that actually works on games for a side job most of those changes would take me and my crew maybe a month or 2 to code and I'm just a small 10 man crew not the biggest game developer studio in Canada
I hate to say it but some of you guys are just pussyfooting around and trying to come up with any excuse to make the laziness sound better
Is it the devs fault probably not probably some bean counter but I'll be damned if ima let you guys make this sound like a monstrous task if they wanted it in the game it would be in the game with a quickness they are just lazy and shekel hungry
I took them 2 years to come up with kills and escape based matchmaking stating that a working system would be 2 hard to make give me a break
The devs do not know what must be done to fix this game.
But I do.
GeneralV for Creative Director, CEO, and Generalissimo of Development Oversight: may the General change the glassdoor description of "Not the best games and most exciting projects"
Now here is someone who knows what is best for the Fog!
BHVR has done quite enough.
It is time for the General to fix things.
So it takes you 2 months to code and a month to test each item, maybe more, so 3-4 months, and that's assuming you and your team worked on it as a major project as opposed to whatever else has priority.
Meanwhile the original poster said these changes are not even "things that need months of programming or anything". Even given your estimates above, and assuming Behavior hired you and your team, the original poster is wrong.
Behavior has 1000s of employees dude again let me bold this for you
THE BIGGEST GAME DEVOLOPER STUDIO IN CANADA THE BIGGEST
It even says so right on their website
Bro I hate to say it but it's time for the excuses to stop
they're trying.
This game need regular mini-updates. Often they put fixes into a major update which causes other problems to occur and to be overseen.
It shouldn't take weeks or sometimes months for a bug to be fixed when it's discovered on the test-servers