Killer tier list based off power design (5.3.0)
This isn’t necessarily based off killer strength but it’s mainly based off how healthy and balanced their powers are. Remember, this is my opinion but feel free to share your thoughts about this.
This isn’t necessarily based off killer strength but it’s mainly based off how healthy and balanced their powers are. Remember, this is my opinion but feel free to share your thoughts about this.
Read THIS post.
Tldr: This is an archived version of the DBD forum, it has all posts, comments and media. The archived data will be published at the end of October. This site is not in any way affiliated with or endorsed by Behaviour Interactive.
Comments
What's design in this case? Because I can't imagine how Bubba, a killer whose power is literally "chainsaw go brrrr", is better designed than Nurse or Twins.
Also why the discrepancy between Spirit and Nurse? I always found both to be very similar.
Because he has counterplay and is interactive for both sides. He also doesn’t ignore every game mechanic and also doesn’t force the killer to play in an unfun way. Now I know Bubbas will do the basement Bubba build but that’s more a problem with the design of Insidious than it does the killer himself.
I personally find chases as and against Nurse the most interactive in the game. There's always tons of new movements and mindgames you can do, just like with Spirit, Blight and Billy.
Chases against Bubba imo are very dull. It's usually: Bambozlee window --> start chainsaw --> get a pallet or a down. Wraith is also something very similar.
Twins imo were also a very nice design and definitely underrated. They just need some tweaks to make them more fun to play as and against.
I just feel like Nurse doesn’t play DBD and that’s my problem with her. I respect your opinion about her though, but she just doesn’t obey the game rules like everyone else has to.
Twins is a weird one because I like their concept, but they’re designed in a way that forces the Twins player to play in a way that’s unhealthy and unfun.
I disagree Nurse doesn't play DBD. Sure things like pallets and windows aren't as useful against her, but Nurse is probably the killer that needs to know the most about map layouts. Windows and pallets can still be used for things like baits and reverse drops, which still work against Nurse.
As someone who plays her daily there's always something new I feel I can learn, and every survivor I go against has a pattern of movement to adapt to.
I respect your opinion as well though, but I think you should probably give her another chance if Spirit is the highest tier for you.
I think post nerf Spirit is the epitome of a balanced killer. She’s very strong and controls the chase but there’s things for both sides to do. Killers are supposed to have the control in the chase but there must be outplay going on and Spirit defines that almost perfectly right now.
I would honestly put pinhead in s tier.
Currently, the RNG and the lack of reward for hitting long range chains is the only thing stopping him from being stronger.
However, his power is quite unique and well designed.
His possessed chain ability can be used in a chase and for scouting.
His chain hunt can enhance his chasing and tracking abilities. And it also helps by being natural slowdown.
Whenever you have no pressure on the survivors, you can teleport to a survivor with the box and immediately start a chase.
Sure he is still a little inconsistent, but even right now he is not bad at all in terms of design. I say to add him in your s tier.
I’m glad you brought up the RNG nature of Pinhead. I actually would’ve put him in the top tier if it weren’t for that. I’m just not a fan of RNG which is why Pig is bottom because she’s the definition of RNG.
Any killer that has many tools in their basekit is good for me, as they can put more tactic from: Demo, Pig, Pinhead, PH, Freddy.
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Trickster, as much as he is disliked, technically has a more interactive power than Huntress.
Do I like him more?
Not really. Mom's still best in my heart.
But, admittedly, her power doesn't have much to it.
S'okay, Mom--I still love you most; no pretty-boy Korean pop star is going to change that.
Imagine thinking that
"Killer puts trap down" as his entire power is a mid tier design in your book.
but "Killer that teleports and maneuvers like no one else" is in the same tier as "run faster" killer
If we're talking narrative design, your list is basically upside-down, with some wibblies in the middle.
Honestly, though, I think the major 'balanced and healthy' one you got wrong is Cenobite. He's strong, can deal appropriate 1v4 and 1v1, his major issue is that Engineer's Fang is basically required to make him viable at all levels in an average player's hands - but even without, he's probably the healthiest release since Pyramid Head. Of course, the same can't be said for the actual DLC: I'm just talking about the matches that stay stable.
Imagine not understanding that I don't have to have the same opinion as you.
I think he's stronger than people give him credit for. His chains can get the job done if you know how to use them. He's also got really good game delay and map pressure. Fun to play as and against. Although, if me playing as him means I'm playing an NFT associate, then maybe I should reconsider that thought.
It's mainly because of how RNG his zombies are and I really hate RNG. Some games they win you games, some games they get stuck in corners and do nothing. The survivors nor the killers have any impact over how the zombies perform and that's not how a PvP game should function. They're an intriguing secondary power but something needs to be done about the AI.
I'll speak to this. I personally think Nemesis is the worst designed killer in the game besides Legion.
Why? They took an entity, with games and games of lore they could have based him off. So many cool things they can do. And instead, they gave him a tentacle that he doesn't even use in R3make, and barely uses in Original RE3. They didn't even allow Nemy to mutate. They made his arm get all pussy.
The way I like to think of it is this. If you took Nemesis name off the killer and just put that killer in the game. Would you have ANY idea thats Nemesis? You wouldn't. In fact his design is almost what you would think Plague would be if you had never played this game and someone asked if this killer was Plague, you'd be like.....yeah that makes sense.
Trickster is fine, he just needs to either decrease the knives needed to injure or give him normal movement speed
Here's mine. And remember that these are not my opinions, these are FACTS!
Okay but jokes aside. Most killers actually have a good power design IMO, even tho some of them are painful to go up against.
I don’t entirely disagree on clown’s but his design is more boring as opposed to bad
Well I would disagree with some of your placements here. Most of them are fine but I think up to know only Deathslinger, Nurse and Freddy are in dire need for a rework. Maybe Legion too.
Nurse is just gamebreaking. She is far too good with any form of leathality perk and limits the choices DbD can make in design very much. A good Nurse just plays the Nurse game and wins. Deathslinger...well, they did not adress his real issues and only nerfed him: Slingy boy has no pressure on the map and his chase was too strong. Now his chase is weaker and he still has no pressure...feels a bit like the Billy-treatment.
Same for our K-Pop idol here. While I like the idea and the design and I also very much enjoy that DbD worked with some real K-Pop idol to creat his look his power just feels a bit underwhelming. Yes he ends chases fast but that does not feel good neither for the Trickster nor for the survivor. I would damp his chase and maybe add a bit more to his lullaby (and different lullabies for different skins!) or add some mild form of game delay.
Freddy is...boring. He needs a rework that empathises his super-power in the dream state and his powerlesness in the "real world". His pallets are a funny meme but his teleport his only real redeeming factor maybe they could work with this a bit more. Bleeding generators are a nice touche and maybe they could put some love into him here...
Legion...well you are running fast. You stab people...you...well...you are running fast! Until you see that Wraith and Blight do the running part too just better and you feel like you missed an important point. Legions design is good, he looks fine and the fact that you can play 4 different legions is also nice. I miss a good chase music thou, that has to change. For his power...well, I think they need to come up with a new idea. So far Legion lacks a real signature aside from their heavy breathing...even Slinger has a better signature with his Speargun and his laughing damn it...
Twins are a special case to me. Their power is quit interesting and nice. Being able to switch between two bodies and controling them is a good concept. Also their body-horror factor is good and well designed. The problem comes from their clunkyness and the sluggish and campish gameplay they endorse. This is a problem and should be adressed.
I honestly do not know about Clown. I have seen mixed reviews about him. Some people realy like him and his new yellow bottles some people still think that he his underwhelming...so...I do not know.
Myers is honestly fine for me. He feels good to play and with his buffed add-ons (unless you got screwed by a Boon) he is fun. I like his stalking, his T3 is pretty strong and his short terror radius is also quit nice (especialy with Monitor) adding a nice jumpscare factor too him. Is he an S-Tier Killer by strengh? No. Is he fun for me: Hell yea.
I also like Ghostface. I agree that there should be a few changes mostly to his add-ons. They are just so meaningless and even his iridescent add-ons feel just a bit bad. I wish for more creativity here.
Pig is fine for the most part. Her Beartraps are a nice game and I like playing against a Pig. They put pressure on the survivors and they force you into a slowdown. This is fine. He dash is also not a bad tool and her stealth is okay in my opinion. She could use a bit more love for sure but not a major rework.
Now I would wholeheartly disagree with Nemesis. As far as I saw it (a friend of mine plays him religously) he is quit fun. Once you reach T2 you are an unstoppable force and once you are at T3 survivors should run as soon as they see you. You have a quit challenging power (small hitbox) but can do some interesting things (lingering hitbox) and yes, I like the zombies. They are a good touche and maybe we just need more. I like playing against Nemesis as it feels like a real thread and challenge to escape him.
Best design for me are Oni, Cenobite and Plague. Oni is overall a good Killer: Strong, fun to play as and fun to play against, clear strengh, clear weakness and badass design. Cenobite hits all the right places, good abilities, nailed the look and interesting mechanic for gamedelay. Plague...well she is just a good killer with an interesting mechanic. I like playing against a Plague.
I agree he's very strong - and I was gifted a key, so I don't know how I feel having him in my roster.
I think the P-Heads are both the most balanced killers to come out, frankly, both with interesting twists on gameplay mechanics that don't interfere with externalized viability like Nurse does. I agree on every point, save an acknowledgement that survivors past a certain skill shelf are going to make using undamaging chains a 1 out of 3 or 4 value - Pinhead still breaking his own chains, or getting overeager, really hurts him when survivors can use it.