Breakable walls should have been...
Breakable windows. The walls have become just another obstacle for killers. More often than providing an opportunity they create horrendous loops that force the killer to lose time in chase. I find that the only advantage they give is when on specific maps and not breaking them to create dead ends (the game)
Make them windows. This removes the awkward loops that have been created and makes the action of breaking them more meaningful. This also increases the number of placement opportunities while diminishes the idea of safe loops to continuously run back to.
Comments
Breakable walls are terrible because of their binary "break this 100% of the time or you will waste too much time here" or "never break this, it turns into a stronger loop for survivors if you do". I feel terrible for new killers who have no map experience and have to learn this weird style of some breakable walls help the killer, some help the survivors. Why? Just BHVR things.
No Killer has ever lost a game due to a Breakable Wall. Breakable Walls at least give some Main Buildungs a meaningful Loop without turning them into oppressive Loops like before (e.g. Ironworks).
Calling the Breakable Walls on The Game a good example is as wrong as it can be, if any Map should have never had breakable Walls, it is The Game. Because of those Breakable Walls we have a Gajillion of safe Pallets to compensate for the Deadends created.
I only referenced the game because it is a primary example of dead ends which are beneficial. Otherwise I agree as the devs over-compensated with safe pallets.
I also agree that breakable walls won't lose the game for anybody. I just find there existence most usually tedious at best.
Simply suggesting that if they were to remove the breakable wall in favor of a window version, you could still maintain strong Loops but grant the killer the ability to widen a survivor's margin for errors.
Play pyramid head. Get good with skill problem solved for you and a many other people whom simply want it easier for both sides.
I think this would be a good qol map improvement than a skill fix. Walls aren't stopping killers from winning and not getting survivors killed. Walls do have a tendency to be placed in poor positions where as a Breakable window could be placed anywhere even near a permanent window and still provide something for both sides
Walls aren't the problem it's the location and length of the walls along with the blood lust build up being only 5 seconds of a survivor staying still to prevent a build up of speed.
But I agree to a good portion of this as survivor's job keeps getting freaking easier every patch.