I Abandoned my Teammates.
I've been playing solo survivor this week and it's been a strange experience overall, sometimes we have really good games with great plays, othertimes I die on first hook because nobody wants to save me. Some feeling of betrayal as I unhook everyone and then they leave me for dead. It's an emotional roller coaster honestly. (Also a source of annoyance, how do I solo 3 gen's and get on two super long chases and not a single gen gets done? What are you people DOING?!)
Yesterday though was a tough one. We went against a Spirit with Ruin, and in the first minute of the game someone DC'd. This was on Badham.
I accepted the loss as I assume everyone else did, but I just wanted to play it out anyways, see how far we could get. I brought in a key I had found in the last game, and I thought hey worst case scenario someone can sneak out with that.
Well the game went on, everyone was making good plays, chases lasted a long while, and we had one gen left. We eventually found ruin but even with our good fortune it got to the point where we were low on resources. Both teammates were injured and on death hook. I was being picked up by the Killer and on my way to struggle.
The Spirit had dragged me to the basement and I accepted that was the end for me. This was to be my tomb. However, defying all logic one of my team mates took the risk and actually snuck into the basement. She was a good soul, and wasn't going to let me die first. I got saved from the hook with one pixel of struggle timer left. We walk to the stairs reveling in the close save then heard the chilling sounds of a phasing Spirit closing in. I sprint a few steps up then slowly walk the rest of the way. I don't know where my rescuer went at this time. I try to play it cool, tried to tell myself if I kept power walking the spirit wouldn't find me.
I was wrong.
I vaulted over the piping, my Lithe proc and I cheesed it the hell up those stairs. I keep running, go the entire length of the preschool and man that Spirit is still on me. She phases, I manage to slow vault a pallet and she gets stuck on one side of it. I go back downstairs, run through the tunnels and get a pallet stun. I scan the environment and understood that it was definitely curtains for me now.
Then I see it.
At the corner off my eye I see the hatch, tucked away behind a wall. Almost right back where I'd started this chase.
The spirit is on me, I don't know where anyone is, is anyone nearby? I'm on death hook. They are too. What's the play here? Maybe my rescuer is still nearby? The red stain is here. I'd be abandoning them for dead. But I'm dead too.
I open the hatch, the squeak of the hatch confirms that I've survived and abandoned my friends. Regret fills my veins as I stare at the escape screen. We overcame such impossible odds together, and maybe they'll be happy for me that I got out when nobody rightfully should have, maybe that's justifying my treachery. It wasn't supposed to be this way. The killer didn't close the hatch, and the EGC didn't start. They still had one generator left.
I force myself to spectate the rest of the game, as a child I had to take on blind faith that Mittens was on a farm hunting field mice happy as could be, but as an adult I will not be blinded by feel-good falsehoods. I needed to know. What I saw crushed me.
One survivor just stood there, accepting her fate. All the passion, energy and enthusiasm just robbed in the wake of my single action of great luck and bad choices. Why did I even have that key in the first place, I should've died with them. She got hooked and the other one was next on the chopping block.
But wait! The remaining survivor was my savior from earlier, she should be right next to the hatch! It'll open now! I looked to her while the other was being downed and caught a glimpse of her leaving a basement locker. She was still hanging around there. Maybe there was hope after all. She started her search and ran across the entire length of the preschool, even so much as to risk a dance with the Spirit in her ever encroaching terror radius. So many wasted seconds, precious moments passed by as I wanted so badly to shout from the great beyond 'It's right there! Go back! Please! You're so close! Please just turn around!'
She did. Right as the spirit found it.
A loud clang as the hatch closed, a whine to signal the powered gates, a grunt of anger, the slice of a blade cutting through air until it hit warm wet flesh. And the last survivor was downed with a shriek.
"No, please. Don't do this to her." I begged, "Let her live! We did so good, don't let me be alone. Don't let their sacrifices have been in vain. She deserves to escape more than I do! I'm just garbage that leaves my friends behind to die."
The spirit either couldn't hear me or decided not to. She took my friend to the hook that would be her final resting place. At least she'll know peace in death, I will have to carry on her memory forever now. I should be so lucky I couldn't see their expressions as they realized I'd left. Maybe it was frantic confusion, maybe contempt and scorn, or maybe a flash of relief as they knew one of us defied the odds. I could only pray it was the latter, but I know I deserve the former.
The killer was in mid swing animation when I went into the hatch. I did escape but she managed to slap me out of the hatch animation so my character just lay dead, on the ground, key still in hand. The final survivor, my rescuer got the clearest look of a true monster before being felled by the other.

Comments
Have you concidert becoming a writer?
Whenever I see a teammate with the key I usually suspect that could happen.
Not a fan of the hatch or key mechanic but that is a story for a different topic.
Don't feel bad you didn't do anything wrong. The only bad things people could do is bm'ing and nasty messages. Everything else is a fair game even tho some things make us frustrated a little bit it is fine.
Such a nice read, well done
That was an awesome story.
I like to think of myself as one, I've actually been working on a fan killer concept that's completely done (Powers decided, perks created, appearance finalized.) I was gonna post it on these forums but I got distracted by writing a backstory and well it's become this entire project. I'll still post it in a couple of weeks, but there's always just 'one more draft.'
Thank you very much! I'm glad you enjoyed it.
I swear some of our fellow members could give Stephen King a run for his money…picture well painted OP. Felt like I was actually in the game, after reading that.
Btw, you made the right choice. That’s just how it goes sometimes.
As for your question, I am treasure hunting. You know what I mean? I go open the 3 boxes and scan each section of the map for totems. If I so much as hear that terror radius without knowing their exact location, I am hopping in the locker and waiting. That is why gens aren't getting done when you run the killer for 2 minutes.
That's fair
Touching to hear a survivor actually care about their fellow Solo teammates.
When I see a key in the Lobby I just assume they'll screw me over and leave me for dead no matter how much I did for them.