Now that the game is not competitive...

It's dead to me. As in I'm done with it.

Yes, yes... most probably believe it was always casual, so no need to reply if that's all you have to say. Not for me. I only play competitively. And my reward was seeing my rank improve. Now, I have no reward. No reason to continue. Nothing to strive for.

Played a few matches today and all I have is that empty feeling that there is no point to it. There is no way to measure my skill anymore. I do well, my MMR goes up and I'm at the same point where I started. I do poorly and my MMR takes me back to the same win/loss ratio. I can sit in the bushes all match and MMR will eventually (or thats the theory) catch up and I will still do just as well. It all feels pointless now.

I'm sure casual players are enjoying this though. And I'm genuinely happy for you. Everyone is a winner now that the rating is hidden and there are no leaderboards.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. The system is working as intended. I know that competitive players are not the intended audience. I know I'm just a minority. This is just a rant. I just needed to talk through my sadness, because saying goodbye is often a sad experience. But I will keep reminding myself that this frees up time for new adventures. Got to find positives after all.

Unfortunately, nothing good lasts forever. It's time to move on. It was nice known you all.


EDIT: Guys, chill. A single helpful person @FrenziedRoach explained why the game is done for me. I'm extrinsically motivated. Once the motive is removed, there is no reason to continue. My motivation was achieving rank 1 as survivor as well as getting high kill ration as killer against high rank opponents. Gone. End of thread.

Motivation is what explains why people or animals initiate, continue or terminate a certain behavior at a particular time. Motivational states are commonly understood as forces acting within the agent that create a disposition to engage in goal-directed behavior.


Comments

  • @tester said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2494277#Comment_2494277

    "Now, when you get better, so do your opponents. That's competitive." - that's correct. But without any measure, you have no idea if you are better.

    A good player will know when their opponents are top tier...

  • So which is it then? There's the narrative that SBMM makes your games a sweatfest now, and here you are saying it's non competitive and you're out, I don't think there's any difference in gameplay other than I'm paired with solo players that actually have brain cells now, my killer gameplay has been normal I've been to rank 1 killer every reset since the game dropped and I can honestly say I notice zero difference in the survivors I get

  • @HelloYou said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2494086#Comment_2494086

    6.1% Of ALL accounts that have DBD, and not only the active DBD players. So you can't rely on it for actual statistics of current active players.

    You don't have competitive mindset. Competitive players likes SBMM for the challenge it gives and how hard the matches are when competing against others, and not because some random rank that doesn't mean anything ( yes, it doesn't measure your skills ).

    Old Rank : Random matchings, a level 18 can be put to face a SWF consist of R4, R15, R8, R8. Literally no competition, the level 18 will find it hard to compete and will be destroyed no questions asked. Meanwhile the SWF will go ez mode on him and bully him without bothering using a single brain cell and still win easily.

    SBMM : Killer and the Survivors have aprox the same ratings, meaning the gap of skill between the two sides are on a similar level making the match fair which in turn create competition between the two sides. Both will have to compete and use their skills to the fullest to see it through.

    Which one is good for competitive players ? Ez Answer, SBMM.

    "It's dead to me. As in I'm done with it." Words of a wannabe competitive player.

    "So you can't rely on it for actual statistics of current active players." - how is it relevant if they are currently active or not?

    You can check time played by percentile to understand that it's not relevant: https://howlongis.io/app/381210/Dead+by+Daylight

    You keep talking about fair matches... But that has nothing to do with what I'm talking about, which is measure of skill. Those 2 things are unrealated.

  • @The_Krapper said:

    So which is it then? There's the narrative that SBMM makes your games a sweatfest now, and here you are saying it's non competitive and you're out, I don't think there's any difference in gameplay other than I'm paired with solo players that actually have brain cells now, my killer gameplay has been normal I've been to rank 1 killer every reset since the game dropped and I can honestly say I notice zero difference in the survivors I get

    (facepalm)

    I never even talked about how hard of easy matches are. All I'm saying is that there is no MEASURE of skill now. Nothing you said has anything to do with measure of skill. I'm not talking about winning or losing a single match. I'm saying there is no tracking of individual progress.

  • @Seraphor said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2494288#Comment_2494288

    A good player will know when their opponents are top tier...

    Your opponents are supposed to be your tier all the time if SBMM is working correctly. Not good tier. Not bad tier. Your tier. And since you don't know what your tier is, you can't know anything about your opponent tier other than it matches yours.

  • @tester said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2494287#Comment_2494287

    "So you can't rely on it for actual statistics of current active players." - how is it relevant if they are currently active or not?

    You can check time played by percentile to understand that it's not relevant: https://howlongis.io/app/381210/Dead+by+Daylight

    You keep talking about fair matches... But that has nothing to do with what I'm talking about, which is measure of skill. Those 2 things are unrealated.

    What do you not understand ?!! The 6.1% you keep using is NOT to be relied on to see how many currently are at R1-5, since the 6.1% is not from the current active players which are around 60K player a day (steam only) but from ALL the accounts that have DBD registered on them. GET IT ?

    Fair matches ? i'm talking about Competition. Old ranking system had no competition, but current one does. SBMM is great for competitive players since now we can actually compete against strong opponent(s). If you fail to see this then you lack the competitive mindset, sorry.

  • @HelloYou said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2494303#Comment_2494303

    What do you not understand ?!! The 6.1% you keep using is NOT to be relied on to see how many currently are at R1-5, since the 6.1% is not from the current active players which are around 60K player a day (steam only) but from ALL the accounts that have DBD registered on them. GET IT ?

    Fair matches ? i'm talking about Competition. Old ranking system had no competition, but current one does. SBMM is great for competitive players since now we can actually compete against strong opponent(s). If you fail to see this then you lack the competitive mindset, sorry.

    " is not from the current active players" - And? You still not answered my question, how is it relevant if player is active or not?

    "SBMM is great for competitive players since now we can actually compete against strong opponent(s)" - how do you know that? You are competing against equal players. They are neither strong nor weak. That's the whole point of SBMM. If there is no leaderboard and no ranks than you have absolutely no measure of where you are.

  • Guys, chill. He's ultimately an Extrinsically-motivated player that finds the new system unrewarding - there's nothing wrong with that.

    But frankly, rather than trying to justify his motivations he should probabably walk away from this thread so the masses can move on to the next NOED or camping thread....

  • @tester said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2494157#Comment_2494157

    Only 6.1% of PC players have Rank 1, despite playing 192 hours on average. So, I call BS on what you believe about rank 1.

    I had 200 hours and I only got to rank 3 as survivor. Now my goal of getting to rank 1 is gone forever.

    The top rank achievement is Zealous with 52.7%. So half the people who bought the game actually played it. If we are going by % unlocked, Adept Trapper is a better trophy.

  • I don't believe OP wanted the game to be competitive. It is quite obvious by his discourse that he just wanted to get to Rank 1 and then he'd probably leave anyway as he would have thought he "finished" the game or something weird.

    If OP would truly be competitive he would ask for top tier leaderboards or something similar instead of whining about the old rank system being gone.

    So I do agree with others: OP really doesn't know what competitive is in relation to DBD.

  • @tester said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2494302#Comment_2494302

    (facepalm)

    I never even talked about how hard of easy matches are. All I'm saying is that there is no MEASURE of skill now. Nothing you said has anything to do with measure of skill. I'm not talking about winning or losing a single match. I'm saying there is no tracking of individual progress.

    There was no measure of skill to begin with if that's the point you're making, if you're saying the old ranking and matchmaking measured skill then this has to be a bait post or you just started the game a few months ago

  • @FrenziedRoach said:

    Guys, chill. He's ultimately an Extrinsically-motivated player that finds the new system unrewarding - there's nothing wrong with that.

    But frankly, rather than trying to justify his motivations he should probabably walk away from this thread so the masses can move on to the next NOED or camping thread....

    Thank you, thank you, thank you !!!

    I learned something new today. I just read about "Extrinsically-motivated" and that exactly describes how I always felt when playing the game, but today I learned that there is a name for that. So many replies, but finally a single helpful person replied. Now everything is clear.

    ❤️

  • @The_Krapper said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2494315#Comment_2494315

    There was no measure of skill to begin with if that's the point you're making, if you're saying the old ranking and matchmaking measured skill then this has to be a bait post or you just started the game a few months ago

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_incredulity

  • noooo!!! don't gooooo!!! we'll miss you sooooo much.

  • @tester said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2494221#Comment_2494221

    "The higher you are with your emblem, the more BP you get. So there's your actual reward," - As I said, if that's what you feel is rewarding to you, I'm happy for you. Unfortunately, that doesn't represent skill, so I don't care about it.

    "old rankings also literally meant nothing" - if that meant nothing to you, you are entitled to your opinion. I have a different one.

    See, everything you said is based on your opinion. Do you feel for some reason that other people should have same opinion? I'm asking because you don't have any facts. You are just describing what you are experiencing and how you feel. But you surely understand that everyone is different, right?

    ROFL! Bro, it's not my opinion, it's quite literally a fact. The old matchmaking system with the old ranks really meant nothing and was NOT an indicator of skill, ######### are you talking about? 🤣

  • @tester said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2494329#Comment_2494329

    " is not from the current active players" - And? You still not answered my question, how is it relevant if player is active or not?

    "SBMM is great for competitive players since now we can actually compete against strong opponent(s)" - how do you know that? You are competing against equal players. They are neither strong nor weak. That's the whole point of SBMM. If there is no leaderboard and no ranks than you have absolutely no measure of where you are.

    you mentioning the % of the achievement is IRRELEVANT and can't be used as a reliable source of statistics like you're trying to do. You're treating the 6% like it's only for Active players which is flawed logic, that's what i'm trying to tell you but somehow you're not getting it. But anyway i'm done with this point.

    "You are competing against equal players" Yes, which is GREAT and BETTER than the old system where you compete against players that either don't know how to press M1 or massively outmatched giving you no room for improvement. You won't be able to get better by playing against noobs, but you will if you face opponents of your skill level or slightly better, which what SBMM aim for.

    I can understand the lack of leaderboard point, but the ONE you're using as skill measurement (old ranking system) is flawed and can't be relied on for accurate measurements.

    Anyway i'm done with this conversation all together since it's pointless talking to someone already have his mind set, and tbh i'm bored of wannabes that run away the moment the game became actually competitive. So bye m8 & good luck on your next game.

  • @tester said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2494290#Comment_2494290

    Your opponents are supposed to be your tier all the time if SBMM is working correctly. Not good tier. Not bad tier. Your tier. And since you don't know what your tier is, you can't know anything about your opponent tier other than it matches yours.

    Like I said, you will know if your opponents are playing well. You can tell.

    If you can't, you're not in the top 25% yet.

    More experienced you get, the more accurately you can gauge your opponents skill.

  • @tester said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2493254#Comment_2493254

    You know that just because you believe that doesn't make it true, right? Only 6.1% of all pc players ever achieved rank 1 as survivor. The highest I ever got was rank 3 and that is after about 200 survivor hours.

    Source: https://steamcommunity.com/stats/381210/achievements

    Now you can show me your source for "even casual players would hit Rank 1 few days after reset"

    I assumed so too tbh. I started playing DbD after the Blight DLC came out and it took me between 40 and 45 hours of played time to reach red ranks as a killer. I'd consider that pretty casual.

1 2 ›