Can BHVR remove a guide from Steam?

I found a "guide" that's literally just a copy/paste of the wiki's article on the subject, including the images used on the wiki. The guide "creator" is taking full credit for it and raking in the benefits, even though it's 100% stolen.

So, can BHVR do something about this? I'm guessing the answer is "no", but you never know.

Tagged: Mod

Comments

  • Oh boy, that reminds me of my old "guides" about an in-depth "analysis" of Payday 2 characters.

    Developers can remove guides, but I doubt they'd care enough to actually do something about it.

  • @DelsKibara said:

    Oh boy, that reminds me of my old "guides" about an in-depth "analysis" of Payday 2 characters.

    Developers can remove guides, but I doubt they'd care enough to actually do something about it.

    If I were a dev and got a report of something like this, I'd ban the user and delete the guide. No fuss, no muss.

  • steam_Mkmik9VMpp.png

    You couild message the wiki owner on Discord as I know he is particulary anal about people using anything from the wiki as their own.

  • @Seanzu said:

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/GTDQKCCESLV6/steam-mkmik9vmpp.png

    You couild message the wiki owner on Discord as I know he is particulary anal about people using anything from the wiki as their own.

    I did, he's a friend of mine. I also know I can report the stolen content, but I wasn't sure if Steam would do anything about it without filing a DMCA, which I can't because it's not my content.

  • Steam could but not BHVR although they could weigh in I'm sure. But as far as user made guides on steam go its a non-issue.

  • @MrCrazyCat62 said:

    Steam could but not BHVR although they could weigh in I'm sure. But as far as user made guides on steam go its a non-issue.

    I'd say stealing content and presenting it as your own for your profit (however tenuous it may be) is an issue. I know some people think the idea of ownership on the Internet is silly, but I think if someone puts effort into something and someone else steals it for profit, the second person should be punished.

  • @Orion said:

    I found a "guide" that's literally just a copy/paste of the wiki's article on the subject, including the images used on the wiki. The guide "creator" is taking full credit for it and raking in the benefits, even though it's 100% stolen.

    So, can BHVR do something about this? I'm guessing the answer is "no", but you never know.

    Orion, poke me about it on Monday when I'm in work and I'll have a look about what we can do (not sure if there's anything because this is new to me, but I can try).

  • @Mandy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/279341/can-bhvr-remove-a-guide-from-steam

    Orion, poke me about it on Monday when I'm in work and I'll have a look about what we can do (not sure if there's anything because this is new to me, but I can try).

    Thank you, I'll try to remember that.

  • hahaha just in case you forget, send me a message on here now, and I won't open it until Monday so then I will see it when I log in...if that helps with the remembering - but all the links there for me, if you can. As much as possible. Thank you <3

  • Considering there is no profit gained from guides on steam why would it need to be removed?

  • @Mandy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2489874#Comment_2489874

    hahaha just in case you forget, send me a message on here now, and I won't open it until Monday so then I will see it when I log in...if that helps with the remembering - but all the links there for me, if you can. As much as possible. Thank you <3

    Sent. Thank you.

  • @th3 said:

    Considering there is no profit gained from guides on steam why would it need to be removed?

    Not directly, no, but many users have taken to add links where you can donate money to them. In this case it's just begging for Steam points, which aren't worth real money, but it's still a form of profit. Besides, who's to say this person won't just start adding links begging for real money?

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2489901#Comment_2489901

    Not directly, no, but many users have taken to add links where you can donate money to them. In this case it's just begging for Steam points, which aren't worth real money, but it's still a form of profit. Besides, who's to say this person won't just start adding links begging for real money?

    That’s true and I did not realize that, I hope this can get resolved soon.