WHAT IF? All killers had a 5% speed increase
Marvel’s What If series got me applying it to DBD, and one interesting scenario to think about is WHAT IF the base movement speed for all killers was increased by a flat 5%? That means a 115 killer would be 120, a 110 killer would be 115, etc.
Obviously this would immediately impact certain gameplay aspects such as looping and map pressure. As long as certain perks (such as PWYF, NOED) and mechanics (bloodlust) that impact killer speed are looked at to ensure it’s not game breaking, how would the DBD landscape look like? Would killers be “unfair” or is there the possibility that it could be “just right” with sufficient tweaking so killers can have better pressure on gens?
Comments
The purpose of 110% killers is that those killers can't catch you at normal tiles (shack, jungle gyms, etc) without using their powers unless the survivor really mess up. Boosting them up to 115% would be kind of unfair imo.
Just think that a 4.4 m/s killer (110%) catches up a survivor at 0.4m per second, boosting them to 115% would make them catch up at 0.6m per second. Killers like Huntress, Spirit and Slinger who have insane chase mechanics would catch up 50% faster.
A 5% increase would be an insane buff to chases (it's a 33-50% increase to the speed relative to the survivors') while still achieving very little to map pressure. Some killers would be plain OP is chases.
One of the things which make NOED a unhealthy Perk is the Movement SPeed Increase. Most Loops become laughable with 4% extra Speed.
You want to add 5% Speed as baseline. Really, no.
You cannot play around with Movement Speed like that, you have to be really careful with it. Adding a flat 5% to every Killer would be way too much.
It already feels impossible to escape a chase unless the killer decides to give up and you get lucky round some loops half the time. No thanks..
Some players are great at evading the killer. I've sat and watched them on spectate in awe but they shouldn't be treated as the norm
How insightful. My thread title isn’t even a question that requests a yes/no answer.
You’re right, a killer like Huntress or Slinger could become very oppressive.
Another what if… What if the devs also made some of the trash tiles longer to compensate?
Killer shack would still be a strong tile regardless, but survivors wouldn’t be able to loop it for a whole minute (versus an average killer).
Also, bloodlust already exists in the game so it’s not a novel concept. All this would be is basically a permanent bloodlust effect.
Some tiles are already just braindead looping (no mindgame) until the killer has bloodlust. I understand not everyone is a great runner as survivor, and I’m expecting lots of “No” responses from those types, but really there’s just a ton of safe, long loops with pallets that the killer is forced to break. Doesn’t require much skill as survivor.
i think its really balanced right now, while it would be fun to have speed and terror radius options in custom games, I think in regular id have to disagree with speed changes.
Fair enough. Would be interesting to run a test of permanent bloodlust to see how much stronger killers perform.
According to What If, What if Dead by Daylight was a better game without toxicity and bad decisions on the part of the devs? It would be the universe that I would like to live.
It would help a ton with map pressure. I think a better solution is to shrink maps
I agree, but it would take more work than changing a number like movement speed.
Yeah but changing movement speed would make some killers too strong. Maybe do it for everyone besides Nurse, Spirit, and Hag.
It wouldn't work. It would destroy any short loops and most medium loops.
Bad killers will still complain that swf is op, gen speeds too fast, survivor perks op and that they need 4 slowdown perks every game.
Well I appreciate everyone’s feedback. Seems like the general consensus is that perma-bloodlust would make killers too OP.
If you don't think that most killer characters are too weak against high-level teams, you don't play enough
And my reasoning is that by making ALL killers more efficient in chase it will speed up the game chase-wise and slowdown perks could be nerfed accordingly. No one likes spending tons of time on gens, or for killers not being able to catch survivors because of tons of safe loops.
Well, some of the comments here lead me to believe that survivors feel as if a killer should never be able to catch a survivor if the survivor is looping “well”. And by “well”, that usually means abusing safe loops, god pallets, and interconnected tiles,
That's fair. I have a rework document in the works where I buff chase and nerf slowdown. More fun that way
Exactly. Killers right now spend way too much time in chase. Not saying killers should get free downs, but there are way too many safe loops/pallets on nearly every map.
Keep us posted, sounds interesting.
I have it posted "Reworking literally everything in DBD" on the forums. Here's the link, feel free to leave as many suggestions as you like. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nUxBRomb77siSwDWkoD6fDjIbfiWKOU6uKLjS58MV34/edit?usp=drivesdk
It would be too powerful on some killers. Slower killers are slower because they have perks to help them with the chase. They would become average killers and average killers would become way too powerful especially the ones who have really good powers such as blight and spirit.
Sure thing...
Nurse would go from 96.25 to 101.25% which is pretty much what she released as.
110% killers would be basically unstoppable with their oppressive power and 115% speed.
115% killers would become 120%. This ranges from largely inconsequential (Legion, Myers, Trapper) to absolutely oppressive (PH, Blight, Demo).
You know these speeds can already be achieved with bloodlust? It’s not nearly as bad as you think.
You're not supposed to be able to escape a chase unless the killer gives up. But I agree, the speed boost isn't needed for chases. The problem is the map is too damn big. I was on Mother's Dwelling, and I had two gens that were ~40 seconds apart, one way. If I was at one gen, and got to the other, skilled survivors working in pairs could finish either gen before I could possibly cross the map to check. That is where the speed really becomes an issue. Out of chase mobility is a real definer for some killers.
Yea seems like it. While I'd like to see bloodlust and noeds speed increases looked at in the future, permanent 5% increase would just be too much.
I never said if what I believe the balance is like at high level play. What I'm saying is that even though this chance would be extremely broken, people would still complain it's not enough.
At the highest level of play I believe killer is stronger than solo q but weaker than 4 man swfs (depending on the survivors skill and killer being played).
To me this chance wouldn't widen the balance of the game. Solo q would get destroyed even more and killers who are bad/average that face a good 4 man swf will still lose (and complain like I said above).