Why is it *always* the killer's fault?

So, playing Lery's yesterday, the survivors are being super-immersive. Two gens go by and I'm struggling to find anyone.

Eventually find a Nea, and down she goes. I put her up on the hook in one of the long bathrooms.

No sooner had I left the room, she gets unhooked, so obviously I head back (had zero idea where anyone else was and there were at least two survivors by definition right nearby) and who runs into me... Nea! OK, you want a BT smack and it builds up my STBFL so OK... she gets smacked, and down she goes.

I've no idea where the rescuer went, no scratches, checked a couple of lockers, nothing. So I decide to DS test Nea - changing the obsession is good so I can smack the rescuer safely in case they were the obsession. She doesn't have it... so up on the same hook she goes.

On the way out of the bathroom now I see the scratches, and follow them... and lo and behold it's a would-be rescuer, Zarina. Chase them down and literally grab them as they were unhooking, and the game did this weird bug where I had grabbed them, but the unhook also happened?? So Nea is literally standing in front of the hook blocking it, so smacked her again and down she goes.

Zarina goes up on the hook, and I take the opportunity to put Nea up too (another two gens had gone in this time so down to 1 gen now)... Nea is dead, and Zarina is rescued whilst I was taking her to hook.

The rest of the game plays out and is several minutes of hide-and-seek, eventually they all die because of reasons.

In the end game chat, Nea is still around and immediately cries "tunnelling..."

Like, seriously?

1) She got unhooked unsafely as soon as I started walking away

2) She ran straight into me... maybe she didn't see which way I went because of the hooking animation taking over, but at least follow the rescuer then if you don't know?

3) She got unhooked second time literally in front of the killer (I grabbed the rescuer)

4) She didn't run/move at all after being unhooked and was blocking the hook, despite no BT and no DS (maybe she was stuck because of a bug in what happened, but she didn't mention that)

These are all survivor misplays in my book, but the cognitive dissonance for survivors is so overwhelming that it seems to convince them survivors can do no wrong and everything must be the killer's fault.

Why??

Comments

  • @Marigoria said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2436176#Comment_2436176

    I hope you also think as long as the survivor doesnt cheat/hack they cant do anything wrong.

    I mean why wouldnt I? Should be obvious.

  • Unless it's someone tunelling me because I have peeved them off, I usually get some bad team mates if I am honest, a lot of team mates just, eh I try my damn hardest even at the end game and I know there is noed I am a good team mate! if I get tunelled is usually knows because I have peeved them off someone -.^

  • @PlaysByShady said:

    So, playing Lery's yesterday, the survivors are being super-immersive. Two gens go by and I'm struggling to find anyone.

    Eventually find a Nea, and down she goes. I put her up on the hook in one of the long bathrooms.

    No sooner had I left the room, she gets unhooked, so obviously I head back (had zero idea where anyone else was and there were at least two survivors by definition right nearby) and who runs into me... Nea! OK, you want a BT smack and it builds up my STBFL so OK... she gets smacked, and down she goes.

    I've no idea where the rescuer went, no scratches, checked a couple of lockers, nothing. So I decide to DS test Nea - changing the obsession is good so I can smack the rescuer safely in case they were the obsession. She doesn't have it... so up on the same hook she goes.

    On the way out of the bathroom now I see the scratches, and follow them... and lo and behold it's a would-be rescuer, Zarina. Chase them down and literally grab them as they were unhooking, and the game did this weird bug where I had grabbed them, but the unhook also happened?? So Nea is literally standing in front of the hook blocking it, so smacked her again and down she goes.

    Zarina goes up on the hook, and I take the opportunity to put Nea up too (another two gens had gone in this time so down to 1 gen now)... Nea is dead, and Zarina is rescued whilst I was taking her to hook.

    The rest of the game plays out and is several minutes of hide-and-seek, eventually they all die because of reasons.

    In the end game chat, Nea is still around and immediately cries "tunnelling..."

    Like, seriously?

    1) She got unhooked unsafely as soon as I started walking away

    2) She ran straight into me... maybe she didn't see which way I went because of the hooking animation taking over, but at least follow the rescuer then if you don't know?

    3) She got unhooked second time literally in front of the killer (I grabbed the rescuer)

    4) She didn't run/move at all after being unhooked and was blocking the hook, despite no BT and no DS (maybe she was stuck because of a bug in what happened, but she didn't mention that)

    These are all survivor misplays in my book, but the cognitive dissonance for survivors is so overwhelming that it seems to convince them survivors can do no wrong and everything must be the killer's fault.

    Why??

    Yes it is the survivors fault for unhooking unsafely and hiding. But your decisions on how to act on that is still your responsibility. One sure can take advantage of the Antimates, but if you get called out for your decisions and actions that is indeed your responsibility. If I was in that situation I'd decide based on game progress. If they're still at 4 or 5 gens I'd usually just slug the farmed survivor and not hook them. If I did I'd know that this decision to hook them if my decision and action -> ergo it is my responsibility. If I'd get a message, well it would be deserved to some point and I'd just take it and make sure to remember that I have 0 right to ever complain if it happened to me. So no it is not always the Killers fault, but we are all responsible for our actions. We can do it but we're not forced to take advantage, therefore we're responsible.

  • @MeltingPenguins said:

    it became tunneling the moment you didn't drop her again.

    Going back when someone gets unhooked isn't tunneling. Hitting them cause you cannot assess if they're trying to take a bt hit or just got unfortunate with the direction pick isn't tunneling. picking them up for ds isn't tunneling.

    But the moment you say 'okay, they didn't have bt, they didn't have ds or missed it, let's hook them again' that is tunneling. maybe swap stbfl for whispers or play more survivors to learn where to hide.

    Dude youre literally kidding right? The killers are supposed to KILL. If a surv is stupid enough to run at the killer post unhook without bt or ds and the killer has them on their shoulder you want the killer to drop them and walk away? No dude killers are supposed to kill. If you give killers free hits/downs thats your fault not the killers.

  • @PlaysByShady said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2440169#Comment_2440169

    This made no sense to me, and I think you're projecting onto me assuming I'm a killer main (I'm 50/50).

    I'm not griping _as a killer_, I'm raising the wider rhetorical question of the mindset that survivors generally have which is everything bad is always the killer's fault. That's a very specific observation that cannot be reworded or re-envisaged as a problem on both sides. And it's demonstrable by the simple fact that survivors don't bind themselves to any behaviour that they'd agree is collectively wrong/bad, unlike this mantra they've made some killers believe that tunnelling/camping is bad.

    It's a notion I've held for a while and yes, I did make the post because I saw it manifest several times when I was playing killer, but that's also because I hardly see it as survivor as I usually play SWF and we're not idiots to believe in such a dichotomy.

    Your OP is talking from the perspective of a killer after a frustrating match, asking what's wrong with survivors. I only based my post on the information you provided, so no projection.

    I thought the last post I replied to was fairly well-rounded overall, but I don't know how you can argue that you don't have bias here when the level of reasonable, constructive discourse and total arrogance displayed by players in either role is fairly equal. For as many people saying the game is survivor/killer-sided and how we need to nerf every perk, you also have people discussing the best etiquette during gameplay and sharing their ideal matches. To say one is arrogant all of the time and unable to admit their faults, while the other is gaslit into questioning themselves is silly.

    It's just a game, but it's no secret that people are prone to feeling victimized while playing. They either lose their cool and play aggressively and/or convince themselves that BM is acceptable and act accordingly. If you inconvenience somebody like that, you're much more likely to get an earful about it. Like I said earlier, because of the 4v1 element, survivors will naturally feel more comfortable venting in the post-game chat which is largely why it's more visible. But come to a place like the forums and you'll see venting from both sides in very much the same way you'd see in-game.

    Wouldn't your SWF example prove that not everyone plays survivor like you described? Or is it an example of all survivors are bad except for you?

1 2 ›