Genuine question about the new trailer.

I know the killer is Pinhead but... why does the trailer feature a VHS time lapse recorder [ LSP ] ? It looks totally different than in the movie, the movie's television doesn't even feature it (movie screencap credit to @DwarvenTavern I couldn't find a good cap on my own I hope it was okay to borrow it!

Movie:

1.png

Teaser:

2.png

Is it to tell us it's a retro film license?? I'm genuinely curious why specifically use a time lapse recorder. Does anyone might have an idea?

Comments

  • Probably to throw the other theories some breadcrumbs

  • @KiraS said:

    I actually explained that a bit earlier. Mods even deleted that message for no reason, since it was probably their goal to make everyone be sure it's hellraiser. Here it goes

    If you take a moment and actually think about the teaser, you'll realise that 19.87 is the thing that not only does not confirm hellraiser, but points away from it. Hard. Let's look at 2 theories:

    Theory №1: The tv is supposedly the same tv from the movie, showing the same scene Julia saw when first visited by cenobites. But then... Why the hell would it be a recording? It's clearly supposed to be something of an illusion translated into her mind, which was done through a tv that doesn't even have a cassette player. How was it recorded? Who watches it? Why would dbd devs go to the length of making it a recording instead of just showing the scene as it is? And why would the date shown be 1987, when it's not even mentioned when movie events take place, with Hellbound Heart(origin story) released in 1986? It's shocking that barely anyone asked themselves these questions, and when confronted with "Why the hell does it show 1987?" they just answer with "Couse that's the date movie aired in real life you stupid", while showing real word perspective is never done in this type of fiction if we would even try to consider that as a viable answer.

    Theory №2: Yes, yes, the bite of '87. Being the cornerstone of FNaF lore's and mystery for... idk how many of the games, haven't played FNaF that much, it also has a huge advantage of being a part of the actual product universe. Which is pretty important for a product teaser, despite what some people might think. It also makes perfect sense somebody, perhaps a cop or William Afton, attempts to watch a camera recording of that fateful day, trying to piece together some evidence, only to be met with the chilling fact that the footage was interfered with, perhaps by something... paranormal? Like spirits of dead children? But there's another option. Why am I even so sure it's a camera recording? Recording mode is set to SLP, which we can see in the bottom left corner of the screen, and that's what it actually means.

    "EP/SLP is short for extended play. Extended play is similar to LP, but actually provides you even more recording time. EP was primarily used to document long, continuous events without the need to change video tapes every 2 hours. Due to the fact that the video is not of optimal quality, many times this setting was not used in order to preserve the quality of your footage. Tapes recorded at EP usually are the most problematic after years of storage, displaying a wide variety of tape damage symptoms including color loss, audio loss, frame skipping, and tracking issues."

    What I also deduced after:

    if we were to say trailer is supposed to show irl cassette with hellraiser being played, which is ridiculous in it's own right despite being silently agreed on by community without any conversation, then why did they specify record mode to be SLP, while I assume movies were mostly recorded in SP, or maybe LP in rare cases? 

    https://vhscollector.com/movie/hellraiser

    As you can see, Hellraiser vhs wasn't even released in 1987. That year was it's cinema run. Vhs was only out in 1988. And you can also find out the recording mode is indeed SP. Like... if we weren't talking about behaviour here, that would just be concrete proof that hellraiser has nothing to do with next chapter. The "flower", that doesn't even look like flower from the movie and is more akin to powder explosion, just wouldn't be able to fight all of that alone. 

    All the clues point to Hellraiser.

    I won't be mad if it isn't Hellraiser, but if it's FNAF, it would be kinda weird to use one license (because it's clear that the teasers refer to Hellraiser) to tease another.

    And anyway, I don't think people can get mad to those who don't believe in the FNAF theory, it is mostly backed by clues based on seeing figures and faces which can be made up by your mind.

  • @KiraS said:

    I actually explained that a bit earlier. Mods even deleted that message for no reason, since it was probably their goal to make everyone be sure it's hellraiser. Here it goes

    If you take a moment and actually think about the teaser, you'll realise that 19.87 is the thing that not only does not confirm hellraiser, but points away from it. Hard. Let's look at 2 theories:

    Theory №1: The tv is supposedly the same tv from the movie, showing the same scene Julia saw when first visited by cenobites. But then... Why the hell would it be a recording? It's clearly supposed to be something of an illusion translated into her mind, which was done through a tv that doesn't even have a cassette player. How was it recorded? Who watches it? Why would dbd devs go to the length of making it a recording instead of just showing the scene as it is? And why would the date shown be 1987, when it's not even mentioned when movie events take place, with Hellbound Heart(origin story) released in 1986? It's shocking that barely anyone asked themselves these questions, and when confronted with "Why the hell does it show 1987?" they just answer with "Couse that's the date movie aired in real life you stupid", while showing real word perspective is never done in this type of fiction if we would even try to consider that as a viable answer.

    Theory №2: Yes, yes, the bite of '87. Being the cornerstone of FNaF lore's and mystery for... idk how many of the games, haven't played FNaF that much, it also has a huge advantage of being a part of the actual product universe. Which is pretty important for a product teaser, despite what some people might think. It also makes perfect sense somebody, perhaps a cop or William Afton, attempts to watch a camera recording of that fateful day, trying to piece together some evidence, only to be met with the chilling fact that the footage was interfered with, perhaps by something... paranormal? Like spirits of dead children? But there's another option. Why am I even so sure it's a camera recording? Recording mode is set to SLP, which we can see in the bottom left corner of the screen, and that's what it actually means.

    "EP/SLP is short for extended play. Extended play is similar to LP, but actually provides you even more recording time. EP was primarily used to document long, continuous events without the need to change video tapes every 2 hours. Due to the fact that the video is not of optimal quality, many times this setting was not used in order to preserve the quality of your footage. Tapes recorded at EP usually are the most problematic after years of storage, displaying a wide variety of tape damage symptoms including color loss, audio loss, frame skipping, and tracking issues."

    What I also deduced after:

    if we were to say trailer is supposed to show irl cassette with hellraiser being played, which is ridiculous in it's own right despite being silently agreed on by community without any conversation, then why did they specify record mode to be SLP, while I assume movies were mostly recorded in SP, or maybe LP in rare cases? 

    https://vhscollector.com/movie/hellraiser

    As you can see, Hellraiser vhs wasn't even released in 1987. That year was it's cinema run. Vhs was only out in 1988. And you can also find out the recording mode is indeed SP. Like... if we weren't talking about behaviour here, that would just be concrete proof that hellraiser has nothing to do with next chapter. The "flower", that doesn't even look like flower from the movie and is more akin to powder explosion, just wouldn't be able to fight all of that alone. 

    All the obvious clues point to Hellraiser.

    I won't be mad if it isn't Hellraiser, but if it's FNAF, it would be kinda weird to obviously use one license (almost everything now teased can be related to Hellraiser) to tease another.

    And anyway, I think people can't get mad at those who don't believe in the FNAF theory, since it's mostly backed by clues based on seeing faces and figures which can easily be made up by your mind.

  • @KiraS said:

    I actually explained that a bit earlier. Mods even deleted that message for no reason, since it was probably their goal to make everyone be sure it's hellraiser. Here it goes

    If you take a moment and actually think about the teaser, you'll realise that 19.87 is the thing that not only does not confirm hellraiser, but points away from it. Hard. Let's look at 2 theories:

    Theory №1: The tv is supposedly the same tv from the movie, showing the same scene Julia saw when first visited by cenobites. But then... Why the hell would it be a recording? It's clearly supposed to be something of an illusion translated into her mind, which was done through a tv that doesn't even have a cassette player. How was it recorded? Who watches it? Why would dbd devs go to the length of making it a recording instead of just showing the scene as it is? And why would the date shown be 1987, when it's not even mentioned when movie events take place, with Hellbound Heart(origin story) released in 1986? It's shocking that barely anyone asked themselves these questions, and when confronted with "Why the hell does it show 1987?" they just answer with "Couse that's the date movie aired in real life you stupid", while showing real word perspective is never done in this type of fiction if we would even try to consider that as a viable answer.

    Theory №2: Yes, yes, the bite of '87. Being the cornerstone of FNaF lore's and mystery for... idk how many of the games, haven't played FNaF that much, it also has a huge advantage of being a part of the actual product universe. Which is pretty important for a product teaser, despite what some people might think. It also makes perfect sense somebody, perhaps a cop or William Afton, attempts to watch a camera recording of that fateful day, trying to piece together some evidence, only to be met with the chilling fact that the footage was interfered with, perhaps by something... paranormal? Like spirits of dead children? But there's another option. Why am I even so sure it's a camera recording? Recording mode is set to SLP, which we can see in the bottom left corner of the screen, and that's what it actually means.

    "EP/SLP is short for extended play. Extended play is similar to LP, but actually provides you even more recording time. EP was primarily used to document long, continuous events without the need to change video tapes every 2 hours. Due to the fact that the video is not of optimal quality, many times this setting was not used in order to preserve the quality of your footage. Tapes recorded at EP usually are the most problematic after years of storage, displaying a wide variety of tape damage symptoms including color loss, audio loss, frame skipping, and tracking issues."

    What I also deduced after:

    if we were to say trailer is supposed to show irl cassette with hellraiser being played, which is ridiculous in it's own right despite being silently agreed on by community without any conversation, then why did they specify record mode to be SLP, while I assume movies were mostly recorded in SP, or maybe LP in rare cases? 

    https://vhscollector.com/movie/hellraiser

    As you can see, Hellraiser vhs wasn't even released in 1987. That year was it's cinema run. Vhs was only out in 1988. And you can also find out the recording mode is indeed SP. Like... if we weren't talking about behaviour here, that would just be concrete proof that hellraiser has nothing to do with next chapter. The "flower", that doesn't even look like flower from the movie and is more akin to powder explosion, just wouldn't be able to fight all of that alone. 

    Answer: The specific recording mode probably isn't intended to be a hint and is just the devs slapping on whatever for their Hellraiser teaser. The only parts that matter are the 1987 and the actual picture being displayed on the screen (the latter being garbled since leaked video file name aside, this is still technically supposed to be a teaser).

  • @KiraS said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2430481#Comment_2430481

    I'm sorry, but why did you quote me? You clearly didn't read that post, or didn't understand any of it. If you read my arguments, which are pretty straight-forward and facts based, you'll probably realise that the only thing backing up hellraiser in that trailer is people seeing a figure of flower, which can be made up by their mind. It doesn't have the same color scheme and looks entirely different from what it does in a movie. So we should, as a community, base our prediction on that surface observation and be done with it when the whole point of teasers are hidden details? That's perfectly reasonable, but at least allow folks like me to dig a bit deeper :)

    Well, I'm pretty sure I can quote whatever I want, I don't know why you have gotten so defensive lol.

    If you watch the TV scene from Hellraiser, you will realize that the "figure of the flower" flashes on the TV screen the same way as in the DBD teaser, and as far as I'm aware, that "figure of the flower" can't be directly related to FNAF.

    I'm not saying you shouldn't speculate about anything, but don't force others to believe what you believe just because you saw an eye on a dirty screen.

  • @KiraS said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2430491#Comment_2430491

    If the best response we can come up with is "It's just there for no reason" when talking about teasers, you know it's getting pretty desperate. What about the fact what they had to make it recording when there was clearly no reason to do that? And then they had to specify the recording type when there was, against, absolutely no reason to do that? And they specified it as SLP, when they could have just slapped SP and be done with it. There's only three recording modes, SP being the one used for movies, it's not exactly rocket science. All of that is just there for no reason? It's... incredibly hard to believe, maybe you have an explanation though?

    Are you familiar with the expression "sometimes a cigar is just a cigar"?

  • @KiraS said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2430504#Comment_2430504

    Yes, I am. And are you familiar with definition of a word "context"?

    Yes, though I'm not sure what you mean by that. Can you explain?

  • What if the teaser is for chapter 22 and not 21, they turned the TV off after all.

  • @SMitchell8 said:

    What if the teaser is for chapter 22 and not 21, they turned the TV off after all.

    That is some big brain thinking right there. Guess we'll have to wait and see. 👀

  • @TAG said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2430420#Comment_2430420

    Answer: The specific recording mode probably isn't intended to be a hint and is just the devs slapping on whatever for their Hellraiser teaser. The only parts that matter are the 1987 and the actual picture being displayed on the screen (the latter being garbled since leaked video file name aside, this is still technically supposed to be a teaser).

    My only thing about that is that it's such a random detail though? I remember the Resident Evil teaser, nothing in there was random. There were clovers, the umbrella symbol, hell even the rain was a detail and of course the zombies but the relevance to the vhs player has no relevance to the hospital scene in Hellraiser. It could be an era aesthetic though. I know 80s were a big vhs era.

  • @GenJockeyNance said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2430491#Comment_2430491

    My only thing about that is that it's such a random detail though? I remember the Resident Evil teaser, nothing in there was random. There were clovers, the umbrella symbol, hell even the rain was a detail and of course the zombies but the relevance to the vhs player has no relevance to the hospital scene in Hellraiser. It could be an era aesthetic though. I know 80s were a big vhs era.

    Wasn't Felix's scream in the teaser a random detail?

  • @TAG said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2430654#Comment_2430654

    Wasn't Felix's scream in the teaser a random detail?

    No? He was on a hook, he was screaming which I assume was the dbd part of the crossover because the crossover trailer was shared with Capcom for the RE anniversary showcase. Do you mean to Resident Evil specifically? If so, it gave no specific clue to which game they were gonna use but it was obvious from the clover key and umbrella charm - games 2 & 3 but I don't think the scream matters so much. It didn't give us anything about which game they were gonna use, it was just a scream from a dude with a hook through his shoulder which did have relevance. It related to its crossover game which was Dead by Daylight but nothing towards the new killer.

    I don't know if I'm even making sense I'm running off like no sleep lol

  • @GenJockeyNance said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2430786#Comment_2430786

    No? He was on a hook, he was screaming which I assume was the dbd part of the crossover because the crossover trailer was shared with Capcom for the RE anniversary showcase. Do you mean to Resident Evil specifically? If so, it gave no specific clue to which game they were gonna use but it was obvious from the clover key and umbrella charm - games 2 & 3 but I don't think the scream matters so much. It didn't give us anything about which game they were gonna use, it was just a scream from a dude with a hook through his shoulder which did have relevance. It related to its crossover game which was Dead by Daylight but nothing towards the new killer.

    I don't know if I'm even making sense I'm running off like no sleep lol

    I dunno, I don't see the VHS thing as anything other than a random tidbit.

  • @TAG said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2430817#Comment_2430817

    I dunno, I don't see the VHS thing as anything other than a random tidbit.

    Hm. Maybe it really just is an aesthetic nod to the 80s aka the era it was released. We'll find out Tuesday for sure.

  • @TAG said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2430817#Comment_2430817

    I dunno, I don't see the VHS thing as anything other than a random tidbit.

    While I 100% agree it's nothing. Probably someone going "put vhs stuff on the screen, you know...those letters and stuff on the corners. But sure to add 1987".

    You can't deny that ignoring everything else that doesn't confirm hellraiser isn't a good thing to do.

  • @Alice_pbg said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2430938#Comment_2430938

    While I 100% agree it's nothing. Probably someone going "put vhs stuff on the screen, you know...those letters and stuff on the corners. But sure to add 1987".

    You can't deny that ignoring everything else that doesn't confirm hellraiser isn't a good thing to do.

    Uh, I don't really agree necessarily? I would judge it on a case by case basis.

  • My guess is to not be an exact 1 for 1 TV in the movie,.to make it less obvious and have people guess it being The Ring (having to play a VHS Tape) or FNAF since some people are really wanting it. Sure the Red Flower is the dead giveaway but unless you pause it you barely see it flash on the screen.

  • @TAG said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2431124#Comment_2431124

    Uh, I don't really agree necessarily? I would judge it on a case by case basis.

    Fair enough.


    Weirdly enough... if this was a teaser from a fnaf game, ignoring any pixel on the screen would be silly.

    But it's behaviour, they never went that deep 🤷‍♀️