Why do people consider certain perks 'toxic'?

I literally have these 4 perks for my Dwight: borrowed time, self care, leader, and sprint burst. People call some of these perks 'toxic' and I'm not even sure why they do. It's part of the game. What isn't part of the game is bad sportsmanship, or calling someone names, literally taking your time to message the other person all cause they killed you in-game (just to harass them). That's toxic.

Comments

  • Because everyone (killers) hates em'

  • @Gamzello said:
    I literally have these 4 perks for my Dwight: borrowed time, self care, leader, and sprint burst. People call some of these perks 'toxic' and I'm not even sure why they do. It's part of the game. What isn't part of the game is bad sportsmanship, or calling someone names, literally taking your time to message the other person all cause they killed you in-game (just to harass them). That's toxic.

    the decisive strike should be an auto perm-ban. change my mind.

  • the sprint burst is way overused and takes up more time to walk around then it saves. change my mind.

  • @TheLegendDyl4n1 said:

    @Gamzello said:
    I literally have these 4 perks for my Dwight: borrowed time, self care, leader, and sprint burst. People call some of these perks 'toxic' and I'm not even sure why they do. It's part of the game. What isn't part of the game is bad sportsmanship, or calling someone names, literally taking your time to message the other person all cause they killed you in-game (just to harass them). That's toxic.

    the decisive strike should be an auto perm-ban. change my mind.

    I don't like decisive strike LMAO.

  • I wouldn't call any perks toxic, I would call the person who uses them in a BM way toxic. 
  • Some perks are just way overpowered like SC and SB.
    And other create annoying situations like DS, Adr and BT.
    Really "toxic" is just OoO. That's a perk just made to abuse SWF voice com and troll the killer.

  • Perks can't be toxic, they're just perks.It's up to the Player how he's using 'em

    People also say it out of anger, for exampe, i could say '######### Calm Spirit, why can't you just scream when i shock you, damned OP perk, get it out' so yea

  • DS is the only perk that's 100% toxic. It's game breaking.
  • Wolf74 said:

    Some perks are just way overpowered like SC and SB.
    And other create annoying situations like DS, Adr and BT.
    Really "toxic" is just OoO. That's a perk just made to abuse SWF voice com and troll the killer.

    Self care is a massive time sink if you want to slow the game down spread out your damage and watch how slow gens progress. Honestly SB is the weakest exhaustion perk in the game this is very clear as you rank up and see the number of dead hards and balanced landings as opposed to sprint burst. Because SB is designed for newer players who dont know the timmings for dead hard or the drop down points of balanced landing.

    See SB is really easy to use but is in fact much weaker then balanced landing which opens up so many more loops as the perk passively negates the stun on falls. Dead hard can be used to reach a pallet and remove a killers blood lust if there aren't that many safe pallets left.

    The real top tier perks are Decisive strike and adrenaline. Decisive strike on a good looper is pretty brutal and when you throw swf coms on its ridiclously powerful. Adreanline is strong as a survivour but you do earn it as you did last long enough to reach exit gates so its a perk i do respect. The wake up shouldnt be their tho poor fready.

    Sabotage is pretty toxic but only against weak killers as many killers can and will slug you all which in general is a much stronger strategy then just hooking you. Borrowed time got the nerf it needed long ago and imo is pretty balanced i just wish farmers couldnt abuse it for free saves whilst getting their teammates killed. Maybe make it so if their hit and put into bt its counted as an unsafe unhook.

    Leader is a fun perk but pretty mid tier as far as perks go. 
  • @Gamzello said:
    I literally have these 4 perks for my Dwight: borrowed time, self care, leader, and sprint burst. People call some of these perks 'toxic' and I'm not even sure why they do. It's part of the game. What isn't part of the game is bad sportsmanship, or calling someone names, literally taking your time to message the other person all cause they killed you in-game (just to harass them). That's toxic.

    Borrowed time is really annoying to play against.

    You just hooked your victim and applied some pressure, suddenly there jumps a bald dwight to the hook and simply unhooks in front of your face. I think "######### are you stupid, I am here next to you?", I hit the injured guy and realize its BT. I will chase down the BT guy you farmed and hooked him again.

    The next time I see you, yuo will die. I dont like playing vs BT, so I remove it from the game

    Call that toxic or however you want, I call it adapting to the survivors strategies/loadout.
    same applies to DS btw

  • Basically if you do what you’re supposed to do as survivor and that is to “survive” you are being toxic. Flashlight save a teammate, you’re toxic. Pallet loop a killer, you’re toxic. Heal yourself? No you are being toxic. Basically you have to run Slippery Meat, Small Game, Deja Vu, and Botany Knowledge to not be a toxic player.

    In all seriousness I don’t consider any perk on either side killer or survivor to be toxic. This includes DS and NOED. Sure it’s annoying to get hit with DS or do gens the entire game and NOT be chased by the killer and get downed by NOED, but some people honestly need a crutch to survive or kill players. That’s what the perk is meant to do. Not all players that run DS and NOED are toxic players. Whether they survived with a “crutch perk” or killed you with a “crutch perk” does it really matter? They still completed their objective and you’re just salty that you got outplayed simple as that. If you don’t like it then either change your loadout or become a better player.

    Toxic traits are flickering your flashlight and teabagging. Bodyblocking is a legit strategy to save a teammate along with flashlight saving. No perks are “toxic” in the right players hand. If their gameplay style is toxic such as teabagging and flashlight flickering then they are a toxic player, but the perks themselves aren’t toxic.

  • @Zarathos said:
    Wolf74 said:

    Some perks are just way overpowered like SC and SB.

    And other create annoying situations like DS, Adr and BT.

    Really "toxic" is just OoO. That's a perk just made to abuse SWF voice com and troll the killer.

    Self care is a massive time sink if you want to slow the game down spread out your damage and watch how slow gens progress. Honestly SB is the weakest exhaustion perk in the game this is very clear as you rank up and see the number of dead hards and balanced landings as opposed to sprint burst. Because SB is designed for newer players who dont know the timmings for dead hard or the drop down points of balanced landing.

    See SB is really easy to use but is in fact much weaker then balanced landing which opens up so many more loops as the perk passively negates the stun on falls. Dead hard can be used to reach a pallet and remove a killers blood lust if there aren't that many safe pallets left.

    I like Sprint Burst against the Wraith because it completely negates his own movement speed increase when uncloaking and also against the Pig because you can easily get away from her ambush attack. I do prefer Balanced Landing and Lithe (never cared for Dead Hard) but Sprint Burst helps you gain the lead over the killer and get you to a safer place like the killer shack or a pallet. I only run Sprint Burst on Meg and Dwight but I am considering changing to Balanced Landing but not every map has good drop off ESPECIALLY Shelter Woods where you have to climb up the tree and drop off or the Hospital where you have to be in the center of the map to get the drop off. Lithe is the best exhaustion perk IMO.

  • Perks and items aren't toxic, people are. However, toxic people tend to cluster toward certain perks and items, hence the association.

  • @Zarathos said:
    See SB is really easy to use but is in fact much weaker then balanced landing which opens up so many more loops as the perk passively negates the stun on falls. Dead hard can be used to reach a pallet and remove a killers blood lust if there aren't that many safe pallets left.

    Yes BL is beast. I've been using it on Kate since I began to prestige her and now it's like I can't play without it LOL. I also found that if you run Hope 1 even with BL, some drop points become infinites against some killers. It also options up some other options on some maps, like dropping down to immediately take a window or something. The only problem with BL are maps like Shelter Woods which have no high points to drop from.

    DH is overrated IMO. It can help you reach a pallet or window, or dodge a hit, but if the killer KNOWS you have it then it won't work. That perk relies entirely on the killer falling for it. When they don't you just waste it, and it doesn't help you actually escape a chase like Lithe or BL can.

  • @Master said:

    @Gamzello said:
    I literally have these 4 perks for my Dwight: borrowed time, self care, leader, and sprint burst. People call some of these perks 'toxic' and I'm not even sure why they do. It's part of the game. What isn't part of the game is bad sportsmanship, or calling someone names, literally taking your time to message the other person all cause they killed you in-game (just to harass them). That's toxic.

    Borrowed time is really annoying to play against.

    You just hooked your victim and applied some pressure, suddenly there jumps a bald dwight to the hook and simply unhooks in front of your face. I think "######### are you stupid, I am here next to you?", I hit the injured guy and realize its BT. I will chase down the BT guy you farmed and hooked him again.

    The next time I see you, yuo will die. I dont like playing vs BT, so I remove it from the game

    Call that toxic or however you want, I call it adapting to the survivors strategies/loadout.
    same applies to DS btw

    If you chase the BT guy you are wasting your time. If you hit them and they have BT go for the other guy because that dude needs to heal. You can get 1 on a hook, 1 healing (or slugged), which leaves at most 2 on gens, but if the BT guy goes down and you have a hook that's a LOT of map pressure. I see killers go for the BT guy all the time and it's a huge mistake, because if you do that just tells all the others to rush gens. The 2 that would have potentially got off gens to make saves/heals just keep doing gens, and the guy that just saved will realize you tunnel and will rush a gen. By the time you catch that guy, 2 gens will pop, then he will sit on a hook and 2 more gens will pop, then he will get saved with BT again and they all body block him out of the gate. If someone gets BT most of the time you should just let them run away and go for the other guy because that's 2 that aren't doing something vs. 1 not doing something.

  • Orion said:

    Perks and items aren't toxic, people are. However, toxic people tend to cluster toward certain perks and items, hence the association.

    Agreed. Never met a toxic person who didn't have Decisive, and a lot of the times adrenaline too.

    Toxic killers often have NOED also.
  • The only players i see running ds are the ones that lose a chase almost instantly, and either dc when they miss the ds check, or get downed literally seconds later.

    As killer ive seen a rare few good loopers with it, i usually just leave slugged on the ground.