What do YOU think it means when a survivor waves their arms on the hook?

I always assumed that a survivor waving their arms on the hook meant, "Somebody come get me because no one is!"

Then I recently heard others say it meant, "The Killer is camping." And those people were usually the ones who had been playing DBD from the beginning.

So what do you think it means when you see it?

Tagged: ModTrusted

Comments

  • I would love to see the devs come out and put this to rest once and for all. “Flapping arms on the hook means ______.” And finally everyone can be on the same page about it.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    I think it means that there hasn't been any official confirmation one way or the other, and it's ambiguous.

    You are right. It is ambiguous. But not everyone realizes that. So people wave their arms and think the other survivors get their intended meaning, but these comments show that's probably not the case.

  • @yobuddd said:

    I would love to see the devs come out and put this to rest once and for all. “Flapping arms on the hook means ______.” And finally everyone can be on the same page about it.

    I think it's got to be the biggest streamers. If there's a consensus there, and then it gets reinforced over and over, then it'll be mostly agreed upon and trickle down. But since waving is a survivor "creation" (meaning the devs didn't put in the ability to wave to signal one specific message. It's a byproduct of attempting to unhook yourself), not enough of the community would care even if they gave their two cents.

  • Waving constantly = camping

    Waving a couple times as the timer goes down = get me off now!

  • @AshInTheTallGrass said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2400230#Comment_2400230

    I think it's got to be the biggest streamers. If there's a consensus there, and then it gets reinforced over and over, then it'll be mostly agreed upon and trickle down. But since waving is a survivor "creation" (meaning the devs didn't put in the ability to wave to signal one specific message. It's a byproduct of attempting to unhook yourself), not enough of the community would care even if they gave their two cents.

    Well, yeah, you’re right. However, getting streamers to agree on a unified message message would be.....unlikely.

    Though the devs may not carry the most weight on this topic, I think a really easy way for them to bring people around to one point of view would be to simply put their preferred meaning into the loading screen tips. Newer players would believe the tip, and older players would assume other people are following the same mindset that is now so visible.

  • @yobuddd said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2400301#Comment_2400301

    Well, yeah, you’re right. However, getting streamers to agree on a unified message message would be.....unlikely.

    Though the devs may not carry the most weight on this topic, I think a really easy way for them to bring people around to one point of view would be to simply put their preferred meaning into the loading screen tips. Newer players would believe the tip, and older players would assume other people are following the same mindset that is now so visible.

    I would hope that a symbol would be easier for the biggest streamers to get behind (ranking perks and killers, however, no chance! haha). But you're right to be suspicious. And good point about it being put in as a tip. Judging by how varied the opinions are on this thread, I think the devs would piss off a lot players if they made a determination on its meaning. So many people are tied to the OG view that it only means camping and that any other interpretation is wrong, and others (like me) think the meaning has changed and too many people don't use it that way anymore (personally, I don't care what it means. I just wish it was consistent).

  • @FancyMrB said:

    Waving constantly = camping

    Waving a couple times as the timer goes down = get me off now!

    Our of curiosity, did you ever get a different interpretation when you were nearing the hook and the hooked survivor started doing it? Sometimes, sudden arm waving is a warning for a trap.

  • @AshInTheTallGrass said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2400307#Comment_2400307

    Our of curiosity, did you ever get a different interpretation when you were nearing the hook and the hooked survivor started doing it? Sometimes, sudden arm waving is a warning for a trap.

    Oh yes! If I get close and the hooked survivor is spazzing out I take it slow and looks for traps/ killers without terror radius ^^

  • @FancyMrB said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2401003#Comment_2401003

    Oh yes! If I get close and the hooked survivor is spazzing out I take it slow and looks for traps/ killers without terror radius ^^

    I'm glad you do! Every time I try to warn people they just barrel right through and get trapped haha

  • @AshInTheTallGrass said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2399462#Comment_2399462

    I think it's mostly the OGers who think of it that way (they're outnumbered by the non-OG players) so it's not going to revert back to that meaning. The only way it would is if the bigger streamers started advocating for it consistently, and then that got reinforced in forum posts, comments, etc, so that it becomes the norm. But I do like the idea of a "come get me warning." Maybe like others suggested, there could be differences. Fake attempting (actually grabbing the hook) could mean "no one is getting me." And simply wiggling your arms at any speed you want could mean "the killer is nearby or camping."

    I learned it from Ohmwrecker. He thinks it means, come get me, so I just go with that.

  • @Sherry said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2399578#Comment_2399578

    I learned it from Ohmwrecker. He thinks it means, come get me, so I just go with that.

    Yeah there's no consensus even among streamers. I'm pretty sure Ohm isn't an OG player, which might explain his interpretation. I didn't even realize until recently that people had different interpretations of the signal.

    I've seen streams where some people went into stage 2 even though they were waving, so they intentionally screwed over their teammates the rest of the game out of spite. Could've been those teammates simply thought the killer was camping, not that they were asking to be unhooked. Explains a lot.

  • @AshInTheTallGrass said:

    I always assumed that a survivor waving their arms on the hook meant, "Somebody come get me because no one is!"

    Then I recently heard others say it meant, "The Killer is camping." And those people were usually the ones who had been playing DBD from the beginning.

    So what do you think it means when you see it?

    Update: In reading all these comments, the answer is, there is no consensus.

    Some people feel it's one of the other, others have specific cues for certain situations. So the next time you go into second hook because you were waving your arms or you weren't waving your arms, it could be that your teammates thought you were saying the exact opposite of what you meant--not that they were intentionally screwing you over. We probably should just decide on how to signal "Killer is camping" and "No one is coming for me." But until then (or if ever), at least now there's awareness.

  • If you asked me in 2016 and 2017 (when everyone was on PC and could share with others what waving arms meant before the match started), I would have said:

    "I can see the killer and they're camping my hook. Stay away and do gens!"

    Now, in 2021 (when most of the team is off-platform, and informing other console players of what waving arms means requires a long, drawn out process of messaging (because Xbox players don't get a pre-game chat bar, despite having USB keyboard and Chat Pad capabilities)), I'm going to say it could mean anything:

    • "The killer's camping"
    • "The killer's busy chasing someone else"
    • "I don't want to die! Unhook me!"
    • "I have Deliverance; leave me be..."
    • "I have Up the Ante Slippery Meat; leave me be..."

    Why do I wave my arms on the hook? I don't do it everytime, but when I do, I wave them to the rythm of the killer's terror radius; the closer they are, the faster I wave my arms (no TR, no waving, unless I can still see the killer watching my hook while stealthed, then I wave them fast again).

  • I still personally use it as "do NOT come for me, killer is camping me, go do gens or something." Sadly though, that gesture has become so wishy washy that it doesn't really have a meaning anymore. :(

  • @Red_Beard said:

    I started playing near the end of 2017. The general consensus then was waving your arms meant I'm being camped. Even then though, there was debate about it. But I'm stuck in my old ways mostly so this is what I mean when I do it.

    Waving my arms repeatedly means killer is camping me or patrolling the hook.

    Grabbing hold of the hook and letting go at the last second before unhook attempt means I'm ready to be unhooked, come and get me.

    Attempting to unhook myself means you are crouch walking too me for no reason or healing right beside the hook when the killer isn't near so you better unhook me before I hit stage two because if I do I'm going to kill myself on the hook or if you get me before I die I will run straight to the killer and let him down me.

    When it is someone else, I just ignore what they are doing and figure it out for myself. If the gen I am on is close to finished, I will finish the gen. If not, I will run over to the hook and use my eyes and ears to figure out what the killer is doing.

    I also get a little salty sometimes when people try to unhook themselves in front of me when I am running up to unhook them. I have on occasion stood there and let them hit stage 2. Kobe at your own risk.

    Tries to kobe, gets to stage 2, killer tunnels them and that takes a player out, damaging the survivors chances of escaping.

  • Back in the day it was a common sign for: "Killer is camping, don't come and do gens!"

    Nowadays it means: "Unhook me asap no matter what so i can try to kobe right in your face!"

  • @glitchboi said:

    Constantly doing it = camping

    Doing it once or twice = is probably begging to be saved

    This

  • @SMitchell8 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2397589#Comment_2397589

    Tries to kobe, gets to stage 2, killer tunnels them and that takes a player out, damaging the survivors chances of escaping.

    Are you trying to persuade me not to let people hit stage two when they try to Kobe in my face? I've played this game long enough to not care about pips and escapes. If we all die because of it, I'm fine with it.

  • @Red_Beard said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2404693#Comment_2404693

    Are you trying to persuade me not to let people hit stage two when they try to Kobe in my face? I've played this game long enough to not care about pips and escapes. If we all die because of it, I'm fine with it.

    Its a bit petty tbf, detrimental to your team just to prove a point. It's your game, you play as you wish 👍🏻

  • @Cornpopers_Evan said:

    I still personally use it as "do NOT come for me, killer is camping me, go do gens or something." Sadly though, that gesture has become so wishy washy that it doesn't really have a meaning anymore. :(

    You're right. The meaning is lost, but the problem I found was, newer players (and I mean people who have even been playing DBD for years, not just within the last couple of months) had no idea there wasn't a consensus. OGers and people who started within maybe a year or 2 max of DBD coming out usually knew it meant "The killer is camping." But since the meaning changed, the newer players don't know the original meaning, so there's a big disconnect in solo queue. And the problem is, if you don't know there's a disconnect, you will think your teammates are ignoring you. "Why is no one coming to get me?" Or "Why are they coming when they could be doing gens? We're going to lose because they all got off gens."

  • @AshInTheTallGrass said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2398164#Comment_2398164

    I bet those people thought you were trying to say, "come get me." Especially when a killer is face camping it can be a two man job, so I wouldn't be surprised if it never occurred to them that you weren't asking for help, just warning them.

    I try to only do it if they're already approaching and the killer is coming back/coming up behind them, but I can see that.

  • This content has been removed.
1 2 3 ›