I think red ranks have sucked the fun out of the game for me.

I don't enjoy playing like a sweaty ######### in this game, but for the majority of my games lately that's what I've felt like I had to do. Anytime I try to run a fun or interesting build, I get stomped. Doesn't matter how well I do in chase, the gens fly too fast to do anything. That's not to ######### on survivors, that's literally their only necessary objective, but that just isn't fun gameplay.

Comments

  • I think you can get away with a lot if you play well enough.

    Most killers don’t need a full meta build, 1-2 meta perks is usually fine to be competitive.

  • Yep, that's the typical experience when you first hit red ranks and start playing people who are good

  • This is exactly why I miss being new to the game.

  • Purple ranks is where it's at.

  • @AnneBonny said:

    I don't enjoy playing like a sweaty ######### in this game, but for the majority of my games lately that's what I've felt like I had to do. Anytime I try to run a fun or interesting build, I get stomped. Doesn't matter how well I do in chase, the gens fly too fast to do anything. That's not to ######### on survivors, that's literally their only necessary objective, but that just isn't fun gameplay.

    I mean..you can derank yourself and face off against greens and yellows if you don't want a challenge. You can run your 'fun' builds there and likely still do good. Or you can focus on gen pressure instead of chases and give yourself a better chance at red ranks. Different strokes for different folks.

  • If the ranking system actually separated us from Red rank sweat lords, they would have no one to play with.

  • Well, that is true, most opponents in red ranks will be playing sweaty.

    But if you are good enough you can get away with crap builds in red ranks. I run nothing but Plunderer/Appraisal/Ace in the Hole in Red Ranks and I play just fine.

  • That's why most killers de rank to get easy matches.

  • @malloymk said:

    Purple ranks is where it's at.

    Purple ranks still pair you up with red ranks more often than not (matchmaking takes 6 ranks in either direction, and red ranks can only go down).

    So Green is where it's at.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    in a functional matchmaking the system would put you against worse and worse players the more you lose so that you have easier matches and can try to enjoy the game, until you find players you can not lose to with your current skill, so you're stagnated there until you improve. that is an example of good matchmaking

    wtih dead by daylight's LACK of matchmaking you're forced to derank and, depending on your current rank, you'll have to lose a ton of matches to get out of red ranks, and, if you want to avoid the tryhards, you'll then have to derank further into green ranks which takes plenty more matches to purposefully lose.

    now let's say finally after many games lost you're at green ranks, well you'll still have to play bad to not rank up again (because the pipping system in this game is not a good indicator of one's true skill which is why many are boosted like OP here), and there can still be smurfs in all of the ranks

    and by the way there's still the problem of being matched against higher ranked players who are not in your rank color

    alternatively you can take a break for 2-3 months and wait to decay back to yellow ranks, which is what I did, and it's great down here.

    No you have to play terrible/not at all. The ranking system/pips is broke, confused, and #########. You can walk around just hitting people no hooking and still not lose a pip if you messed around kicking gens a bunch. I have safety pipped getting 1 hook (that ######### trickster) and that is just ridiculous. One hook no kills is as bad as it gets how does that not deserve a de-pip. Truthfully it has been awhile since I had a game like this but to my knowledge the rank system is still the same.

  • This is precisely why I'm looking forward to the offline bot matches. Matchmaking has always been screwed up in this game, but the higher in rank you get the sweatier the matches become. For me personally I hate using meta builds because I too like to experiment with fun and interesting combos, but the higher in rank I get the less likely I'm incentivized to do just that.

    I don't have thousands upon thousands of hours to invest into this game, and as such I'm a casual player at best, so the last thing I need when I get home from work is the feeling of getting stomped repeatedly. Which is why unless I'm playing with friends or I desperately need blood points, bot matches will suffice just fine until the MMR is turned on for good.