Windows of Opportunity Buff

For anyone who doesn't know, Windows of Opportunity is a teachable Kate Denson perk. The Auras of Breakable Walls, Pallets, and Windows are revealed to you within 20 metres. Once you perform a vault or drop a pallet, the auras disappear for the next 30/25/20 seconds.

Currently, Windows of Opportunity also shows you the auras of fake pallets (Freddy and Doctor). What if it was buffed to stop showing fake pallets? Keep in mind, Windows of Opportunity does have a cool down, so you will still be fooled with a fake pallet easily in a chase. It's not going to protect you from all fake pallets, just perhaps the first one.

Comments

  • I don't see a good reason why a survivor perk should be able to counter a killer's power (well addon) this way. The whole point of the fake pallets is to trick survivors into thinking a tile is safe when it isn't.

  • Perks shouldn't counter a killer's power. I think a good buff to Windows of Opportunity would be to give survivors a notification, and see the aura of teammates for so many seconds after they drop a pallet or fast vault a window.

  • @Crowman said:

    I don't see a good reason why a survivor perk should be able to counter a killer's power (well addon) this way. The whole point of the fake pallets is to trick survivors into thinking a tile is safe when it isn't.

    Fair point, but it doesn't entirely negate it. It's temporary, and since both of those killers have other powers (madness, dream snares, teleportation, phantoms, backwards skill checks), it is one small aspect of their potential power.

  • @KingFrost said:

    Perks shouldn't counter a killer's power. I think a good buff to Windows of Opportunity would be to give survivors a notification, and see the aura of teammates for so many seconds after they drop a pallet or fast vault a window.

    Seems too unrelated to me. But I do think that's a valid point. Should a perk be able to counter a power? Generally, no. In this instance, I think it it's fair. For one, it doesn't entirely counter it. The cool down makes it that the survivor will only get to use that maybe once. And since that's only one small aspect of each of those killer's powers, it doesn't tip the scales too heavily in the survivor's favor. Now if the devs wanted to implement this buff AND look into extending the cool down, that's fair. It's worth seeing if that'd be more balanced. What's your opinion on extending the cool down? Does that change things for you?

  • @AshInTheTallGrass said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2363071#Comment_2363071

    Seems too unrelated to me. But I do think that's a valid point. Should a perk be able to counter a power? Generally, no. In this instance, I think it it's fair. For one, it doesn't entirely counter it. The cool down makes it that the survivor will only get to use that maybe once. And since that's only one small aspect of each of those killer's powers, it doesn't tip the scales too heavily in the survivor's favor. Now if the devs wanted to implement this buff AND look into extending the cool down, that's fair. It's worth seeing if that'd be more balanced. What's your opinion on extending the cool down? Does that change things for you?

    That's not a small aspect of Freddy's power. If you use that add-on that is just his power, full stop. WoO shouldn't reveal his palettes at all considering that's essentially the only thing he's got in terms of tile management and mindgames when using that add-on. Doctor I don't mind it working on since he can actually use blast and shock. He's not gated out of his other chase option like Freddy is.

  • @ReikoMori said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2363082#Comment_2363082

    That's not a small aspect of Freddy's power. If you use that add-on that is just his power, full stop. WoO shouldn't reveal his palettes at all considering that's essentially the only thing he's got in terms of tile management and mindgames when using that add-on. Doctor I don't mind it working on since he can actually use blast and shock. He's not gated out of his other chase option like Freddy is.

    I don't like making a perk inconsistent just because it would be okay against one killer and not the other one. It's better overall if WoO shows all pallets regardless if they are fake or not. If the perk really needs a buff, I would go for the aura reveal range first.

    WoO is honestly a bit underrated as it is. It's pretty useful as a solo survivor to know which areas your teammates used all the pallets in.

  • @ReikoMori said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2363082#Comment_2363082

    That's not a small aspect of Freddy's power. If you use that add-on that is just his power, full stop. WoO shouldn't reveal his palettes at all considering that's essentially the only thing he's got in terms of tile management and mindgames when using that add-on. Doctor I don't mind it working on since he can actually use blast and shock. He's not gated out of his other chase option like Freddy is.

    But again, it is not a constant. The perk has a cool down so you will still be confused with dream pallets. Now if the perk were buffed to show fake pallets in a different aura color, or have a shorter cool down, then that would be OP. But simply not showing an aura is not. Have you run that perk as a survivor? Sometimes the auras are confusing because they overlap with other auras, so you don't even get a clear view of what's what sometimes in a chase. Now pair that with what it looks like when being chased. You should be occasionally looking behind you, and when you are, sometimes you run into a pallet that you didn't even see an aura for. So you might throw that one down and not even realize it was a fake, because sometimes, you've run into a real pallet and didn't see its aura either. My point is, even when it works, it doesn't work perfectly. The buff won't change that, and with the cool down, it's not possible to completely negate the dream pallet. This change only makes things more competitive. Survivors will still get caught in dream pallets. And anecdotally speaking, I barely see this perk being run in matches. So even with a buff (that would only pertain to two killers) would most survivors suddenly want to run it? I'm not so sure. This seems more like a reasonable adjustment as opposed to an OP, every survivor is going to use it and break the game now, type of change.

  • @AshInTheTallGrass said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2363102#Comment_2363102

    But again, it is not a constant. The perk has a cool down so you will still be confused with dream pallets. Now if the perk were buffed to show fake pallets in a different aura color, or have a shorter cool down, then that would be OP. But simply not showing an aura is not. Have you run that perk as a survivor? Sometimes the auras are confusing because they overlap with other auras, so you don't even get a clear view of what's what sometimes in a chase. Now pair that with what it looks like when being chased. You should be occasionally looking behind you, and when you are, sometimes you run into a pallet that you didn't even see an aura for. So you might throw that one down and not even realize it was a fake, because sometimes, you've run into a real pallet and didn't see its aura either. My point is, even when it works, it doesn't work perfectly. The buff won't change that, and with the cool down, it's not possible to completely negate the dream pallet. This change only makes things more competitive. Survivors will still get caught in dream pallets. And anecdotally speaking, I barely see this perk being run in matches. So even with a buff (that would only pertain to two killers) would most survivors suddenly want to run it? I'm not so sure. This seems more like a reasonable adjustment as opposed to an OP, every survivor is going to use it and break the game now, type of change.

    Small Game had a CD and it used to be able to let survivors know there was Trapper or Hag trap in front of them. That got removed, because devs didn't like a perk that existed to solely counter 2 specific killer powers even with a CD.

  • @Crowman said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2363102#Comment_2363102

    I don't like making a perk inconsistent just because it would be okay against one killer and not the other one. It's better overall if WoO shows all pallets regardless if they are fake or not. If the perk really needs a buff, I would go for the aura reveal range first.

    WoO is honestly a bit underrated as it is. It's pretty useful as a solo survivor to know which areas your teammates used all the pallets in.

    I agree with you that is should be consistent, but increasing the range of the aura reading ability seems unfair to the killer. But, I guess it depends on how much. Really the only way we'd know is if it was put to test in the PTB. Are you thinking a slight increase or something really big?

  • @Crowman said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2363179#Comment_2363179

    Small Game had a CD and it used to be able to let survivors know there was Trapper or Hag trap in front of them. That got removed, because devs didn't like a perk that existed to solely counter 2 specific killer powers even with a CD.

    I think the difference was small game only worked for Trapper and Hag, so it wasn't a useful perk in general. WoO works for every killer. Now if it had no cool down that would be completely broken. That's why I think if they buffed WoO, they could also look into extending the cool down to make sure it's competitive and not broken.

  • @AshInTheTallGrass said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2363182#Comment_2363182

    I think the difference was small game only worked for Trapper and Hag, so it wasn't a useful perk in general. WoO works for every killer. Now if it had no cool down that would be completely broken. That's why I think if they buffed WoO, they could also look into extending the cool down to make sure it's competitive and not broken.

    Small game also helped with finding totems and still does now. Your suggestion is trying to add the ability to counter 2 specific killers addons onto a perk when the devs have already shown they don't like the idea of a perk specifically countering certain killers.

    @AshInTheTallGrass said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2363111#Comment_2363111

    I agree with you that is should be consistent, but increasing the range of the aura reading ability seems unfair to the killer. But, I guess it depends on how much. Really the only way we'd know is if it was put to test in the PTB. Are you thinking a slight increase or something really big?

    28-32m would be a fine buff. It wouldn't really be that unfair, because while a survivor might know where to go initially for safety, once they take a vault or use the pallet and forced out of that tile there is a CD before they can start seeing auras again. It also doesn't do much if a survivor is caught out in a dead zone.

  • You're correct. Small Game was originally to just check Trapper's traps, and then eventually it was traps and totems. So by narrowing its focus to only pertain to totems while also buffing it (adding a counter so you know how many totems are left on the map), the perk was made useful overall. That's what I'm proposing. Making WoO more useful overall. As you said, this is to counter an add-on (but again, it *cannot* counter it entirely). If I'm wrong, please tell me, but I don't remember the devs having a problem with add-ons being temporarily countered. I think them having a problem with specific killer counters was more like the issue with the old Saboteur. Saboteur used to break Trapper's traps. That rightly needed a nerf. But WoO is supposed to show survivors available pallets. That's the edge that perk gives you, and it only does it for one move and then you're on your own for the rest of the cool down. But this perk, as is, "lies" to you. It negates its own purpose for the benefit of the killer. Imagine if a survivor had a perk that lied to the killer's perk. Imagine if Distortion was buffed to show a phantom aura walking on the opposite side of the map whenever BBQ and Chilli went off. That'd be broken because BBQ is supposed to show real auras. That's its purpose. Does it always show an aura? No. But when it does, it's real and you can figure out as a killer that there are only 3 reasons why you don't see an aura. That's all I'm saying. This perk should tell you the truth. When it shows you an aura, it should be real. And since it has a cool down, you will still get caught in fake pallets. It's not going to eliminate that possibility entirely, it's just going to make the game more competitive. And if they need to adjust the cool down to make it more balanced, I'm fine with that.

    Lastly, even though it seems that we're not going to agree with each other, I appreciate you answering and disagreeing like an adult. <3

  • A lot of perks need buffs way before Windows should ever be looked at when Windows isn't even a bad perk and is great for beginners.

    I also don't think a perk should be able to shut off a killers power so that would be a bad way to buff it IMO.

  • @Gruul said:

    A lot of perks need buffs way before Windows should ever be looked at when Windows isn't even a bad perk and is great for beginners.

    I also don't think a perk should be able to shut off a killers power so that would be a bad way to buff it IMO.

    The "shut off a killer's power" part has been addressed a lot already, so if you're interested, check that out.

  • @AshInTheTallGrass said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2363357#Comment_2363357

    The "shut off a killer's power" part has been addressed a lot already, so if you're interested, check that out.

    I know but that doesn't mean I agree.

  • Just remove the cooldown like they did for zanshin tactics.

  • You didn't address any of my counters.

  • @BenihimeWrath said:

    Just remove the cooldown like they did for zanshin tactics.

    I think that'd be too much of a buff.

  • Believe me, just because you can see things all the time doesn't mean you understand how to path them. Arguably it could be devastating in the hands of a skilled player, but literally what isn't?