It's Time For More Perk Slots

With the number of perks now in the game, it's getting really hard to choose just 4. As a result, many weaker perks are having less and less chance of being selected. I have a solution to fix this issue.

Increase the number of available perk slots to 6. Give each perk a perk value score of 3 (powerful, popular, meta perks), 2 (mid-level perks), or 1 (weak, niche perks). Players now have 12 available perk points to use in their build. They could use 4 meta perks (like they currently can) and be unable to use the other 2 slots or they could use 6 weaker perks or some combination of the two. Hex perks would have a score of 3 regardless of power or popularity so totem numbers don't have to be changed.

Comments

  • @TAG Just think of it like 1 killer point balances out 4 survivor points.

  • @Thund3rstruck57 said:

    @TAG Just think of it like 1 killer point balances out 4 survivor points.

    I'm not convinced it's that simple.

  • @TAG Unfortunately, the only way to see if that would be balanced would be for the devs to create the system and test it. Otherwise it's just speculation. It could be balanced. It could not be.

  • @Thund3rstruck57 said:

    @WormMilk I really don't think it would make games any more stressful for anyone. In fact, it might make some games less stressful because some people might actually put down their meta, game-changing perks to equip more, less-powerful ones that might not even have a noticeable effect.

    @MadLordJack Ya it really shouldn't affect game stability but this is BHVR we're talking about... Also second chance perks and slowdown perks would have a 3 point value so you can't stack any more than you already can.

    @Generic The devs will never give some players more perk slots than others so it's not even worth discussing.

    I saw someone else saying this and I agree with them, one killer perk isn't accompanied by one survivor perk, it's accompanied four. If we added another perk slot it would be 20 perk vs 5, that is an unbelievablely unfair thing. It would most certainly be alot more stressful for the killer if they had to deal with four extra perks no matter how good or bad they are. This game is already survivor sided so adding this would just contribute to this greatly. Still a fun idea but it would absolutely not work in the grand sceam of things.

  • @Thund3rstruck57 said:

    @TAG Unfortunately, the only way to see if that would be balanced would be for the devs to create the system and test it. Otherwise it's just speculation. It could be balanced. It could not be.

    Considering that I am fundamentally against adding perk slots, I don't think it's worth testing.

  • @Thund3rstruck57 said:

    @TAG Ya but 3 of those perks would be weaker 1 point perks... The kind of perks that aren't game-changing and have really minor effects.

    @ThiccBudhha You still can run the 3 most popular perks under this system. That'll take up 3/6 slots and 9/12 available perk points. Nobody would have to change their current build. It would just reward players for using less popular/powerful perks by giving them more of them.

    @Thrax Even though Kindred is pretty good, the devs could assign it a perk value of 1 to help reduce the gap between solo and SWF. I doubt they'll make it base kit.

    @Exerlin I completely agree.

    @stvnhthr The devs will never give some players more perk slots than others so it's not even worth discussing. I'm not trying to completely solve the SWF issue with this system, just make the game more interesting.

    @Starshadw Under my system, there would still be no more than 4 hex perks in a game since they would get a 3 point value by default.

    Combine it with WGLF to compare to BBQ better

  • @WormMilk The devs have made it so the game is balanced around each killer perk balancing out 4 survivor perks, so as long as you keep the number of perk slots that each player has access to the same, the game will remain similar to its current state of balance, no matter what you increase the number to (within reason). While the difference between the survivor and killer perk numbers will grow, using that as an argument is a bit disingenuous as the survivors will always have 4X more perks than the killer and that's the important metric.

    @TAG Considering I am fundamentally in support of adding perk slots, I think it's worth testing. ;P Look, the usage of all perks (especially weaker, niche perks) will continue to decrease as more perks are added to the game because math. Considering how large the pool of perks has grown, it is time to add more perk slots. My solution does that in a way that will encourage a wider usage of perks, keep everyone's power potential roughly equal to what it is now, and will result in more unique builds with interesting synergies that will make the game more exciting overall. By all means though, I'd be fine with them just adding 2 more perk slots and calling it a day.

    @Thrax WGLF is actually a pretty strong perk now and doesn't need a buff. Maybe move the BP tokens to Kindred since it would make more sense on that perk anyway.

  • @Thund3rstruck57 said:

    @WormMilk The devs have made it so the game is balanced around each killer perk balancing out 4 survivor perks, so as long as you keep the number of perk slots that each player has access to the same, the game will remain similar to its current state of balance, no matter what you increase the number to (within reason). While the difference between the survivor and killer perk numbers will grow, using that as an argument is a bit disingenuous as the survivors will always have 4X more perks than the killer and that's the important metric.

    @TAG Considering I am fundamentally in support of adding perk slots, I think it's worth testing. ;P Look, the usage of all perks (especially weaker, niche perks) will continue to decrease as more perks are added to the game because math. Considering how large the pool of perks has grown, it is time to add more perk slots. My solution does that in a way that will encourage a wider usage of perks, keep everyone's power potential roughly equal to what it is now, and will result in more unique builds with interesting synergies that will make the game more exciting overall. By all means though, I'd be fine with them just adding 2 more perk slots and calling it a day.

    @Thrax WGLF is actually a pretty strong perk now and doesn't need a buff. Maybe move the BP tokens to Kindred since it would make more sense on that perk anyway.

    Your solution, in my eyes, either doesn't accomplish anything meaningful or upsets the balance of the game significantly. It's not because of anything specific to your idea; it's just that I don't believe there is an acceptable sweet spot that actually results in an improvement to the game as far as adding more perk slots. Having more and more perks in the game doesn't mean that more perk slots is a good idea IMO.


    Also, this:

    so as long as you keep the number of perk slots that each player has access to the same, the game will remain similar to its current state of balance, no matter what you increase the number to (within reason)

    I am not convinced is accurate, which is a big part of why I don't personally support your idea.

  • At first I thought this was a bad idea. But it's not necessarily. I think 4 is just kind of that sweet spot number. I think a 5th perk slot doesn't really fix anything in this game. I think the game is in a good spot to be honest. Adding a 5th perk slot just narrows the field of diversity of perks that survivors are running. 4 perks isn't enough, 5, 6... What is enough? Do we just want all perks as passive abilities? A 5th Perk slot would be over whelming. And you said with so many perks now it's hard to choose just 4. Well I like that there is only so much I can do to make a build with 4. 16 perks for survivors at most and 4 for killer. It's a 1 to 4 difference. Making it a 1-5 difference would actually put the killer at an ever more disadvantage.

  • @Thund3rstruck57 said:

    With the number of perks now in the game, it's getting really hard to choose just 4. As a result, many weaker perks are having less and less chance of being selected. I have a solution to fix this issue.

    Increase the number of available perk slots to 6. Give each perk a perk value score of 3 (powerful, popular, meta perks), 2 (mid-level perks), or 1 (weak, niche perks). Players now have 12 available perk points to use in their build. They could use 4 meta perks (like they currently can) and be unable to use the other 2 slots or they could use 6 weaker perks or some combination of the two. Hex perks would have a score of 3 regardless of power or popularity so totem numbers don't have to be changed.

    While i like the point system, i can´t really get behind hex perks being considered powerful and therefore requiring 3 points.

  • Just let me equip the same perk over and over again.

    I want 32 stacks of save the best for last.


    I AM JOKING

1 2 ›