Why would people get mad about pride charm?

I'm just making this discussion because twitter is exploding with people who loved the charm and homophobics who didn't like it.

I fully support behavior by introducing this charm. They not only shows great support from the company, but also the way that they introduced this theme to the game. In a simple and responsible way and at no time did they seem to be trying to earn social points.

But I wanted to understand more from people who don't agree with this charm. what is the problem so profound with this being in the game?

Tagged: Mod

Comments

  • I wish I were wrong.

    People are hard wired with “I’m right, you’re wrong”. Broadening our scope of outlook and understanding on the world is a learned skill.

  • Straight people are accepted unconditionally, and the traditional man + woman + kids family is still seen as ‘desirable’. Straight people are consistently represented in all media, and gay people are shafted in this area.

    Given that this was your first post, I’m assuming you made an account just to respond.

  • Because people are trolls. The majority of complaints will be them. The rest will be bigots and those who think it's a political statement.

  • Alright. I'm not trying to shame you for your religion, and I hope you know that.

  • @DoritoHead said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2223998#Comment_2223998

    in my opinion it's kind of silly to pin things like this on one group of people.

    Have you seen Twitter? It's a cesspool of hate and ignorance.

  • @CoalTower said:

    Alright. I'm not trying to shame you for your religion, and I hope you know that.

    I understand, despite the fact that our comments are in the shadow realm now.

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2224105#Comment_2224105

    I understand, despite the fact that our comments are in the shadow realm now.

    Yeah 😂


    I'm glad you understand

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2224048#Comment_2224048

    Probably a lot of different factors all around, but from my perspective it's a celebration that's open for everyone, but celebrating only a subset of society. The more empathetic you are and knowledgeable about LGBT+ and how those individuals are/have been treated, the less that bothers you. The less familiar you are with the topic, well you're just told to support it or you're a bad person.

    From where I'm from, homosexuals and otherwise are similarly accepted... I think. My area's not diverse (the subject never comes up). So I'm making assumptions on what I've been told being LGBT+ is like.

    EDIT: nvm, just remembered I have gay "uncles" (family friends). I just.. forgot they were gay.

    Oh I see what you mean, like these people that can't bear to be the centre of attention? Yeah that sounds about right. To be fair, it's not uncommon for me to see the same sorts of people in the community goad these egotists that aren't in it about being 'special' and 'in the group'. In the end it seems to be an ego thing if not a hatred over other sexual orientations, which is a thing but I don't think it is as rampant where I'm from anyway.


    I have to disagree with heterosexuality being 'celebrated' so much as it is just the 'norm' staistics wise. You don't celebrate things that are taken for granted or are the majority of something. I don't think there's a need to celebrate it either, but those that strongly oppose it do come off as the same egotists we've mentioned before. Gotta make sure we got something over the oppressive 'others', right?


    My brother's gay so I'll always share my support for this cause, I'm fine with the charm and I'd be fine with any other charm so long as it doesn't force me to care about more than I want to.

  • @Syndrome0fAdown said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2224097#Comment_2224097

    Just because something is the norm, doesn't mean it's "celebrated." Gay people are regularly characters in media, film, television. I don't ever see heterosexuality being "celebrated" as you claim it is.

    Gay people are not regularly portrayed well at all. Gay people are stereotyped in main stream media as feminine, loud, weak, comedic relief, etc. Quite frankly, I don’t think straight people can determine what is and isn’t fair representation. Again, maybe you should reconsider your life choices if you made this account just to be an ######### on a pro LGBTQ+ thread.

  • Because it's political activism being injected into an apolitical game, and opposing such a thing does not make one a "homophobe." Of course being gay isn't inherently political, but you cannot deny the political machine that operates under the banner of LGBTQ* exists, and the tiresome pandering by corporations every year around June is part of that.

  • Well, it's important to be able to see multiple sides of an issue, and I know you didn't mean anything by it, you don't seem that sort of person, from what I've seen.

  • @CoalTower said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2224051#Comment_2224051

    Have you seen Twitter? It's a cesspool of hate and ignorance.

    i'm not denying that but it's not only people on Twitter doing this (take the live chat on the 5th anniversary stream)

  • @DeliciousFood said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2224070#Comment_2224070

    Oh I see what you mean, like these people that can't bear to be the centre of attention? Yeah that sounds about right. To be fair, it's not uncommon for me to see the same sorts of people in the community goad these egotists that aren't in it about being 'special' and 'in the group'. In the end it seems to be an ego thing if not a hatred over other sexual orientations, which is a thing but I don't think it is as rampant where I'm from anyway.

    I have to disagree with heterosexuality being 'celebrated' so much as it is just the 'norm' staistics wise. You don't celebrate things that are taken for granted or are the majority of something. I don't think there's a need to celebrate it either, but those that strongly oppose it do come off as the same egotists we've mentioned before. Gotta make sure we got something over the oppressive 'others', right?

    My brother's gay so I'll always share my support for this cause, I'm fine with the charm and I'd be fine with any other charm so long as it doesn't force me to care about more than I want to.

    Not having to care about something because it doesn’t impact you is the prime example of privilege.

  • @DoritoHead said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2224106#Comment_2224106

    i'm not denying that but it's not only people on Twitter doing this (take the live chat on the 5th anniversary stream)

    True

  • @TheClownIsKing said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2224036#Comment_2224036

    I wish I were wrong.

    People are hard wired with “I’m right, you’re wrong”. Broadening our scope of outlook and understanding on the world is a learned skill.

    You know man, you are a lot more of a critical thinker than I originally gave you credit for. Careful though, could get you in trouble in this day and age. +rep

  • @Visi said:

    Because it's political activism being injected into an apolitical game, and opposing such a thing does not make one a "homophobe." Of course being gay isn't inherently political, but you cannot deny the political machine that operates under the banner of LGBTQ* exists, and the tiresome pandering by corporations every year around June is part of that.

    As you said yourself, being gay is not political in anyway and trying to make it a political issue is absolutely wrong. Having an issue with a pride flag is clear cut homophobia, period. No media is apolitical anyway, it’s virtually impossible.

  • @WexlerWendigo said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2224116#Comment_2224116

    Not having to care about something because it doesn’t impact you is the prime example of privilege.

    And? That doesn't mean anything. Just because one person doesn't have a specific struggle doesn't mean they're actually privileged as an individual. What is your point?

  • @HollowsGrief said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2224078#Comment_2224078

    You know man, you are a lot more of a critical thinker than I originally gave you credit for. Careful though, could get you in trouble in this day and age. +rep

    Ta.

  • @WexlerWendigo said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2224119#Comment_2224119

    As you said yourself, being gay is not political in anyway and trying to make it a political issue is absolutely wrong. Having an issue with a pride flag is clear cut homophobia, period. No media is apolitical anyway, it’s virtually impossible.

    I have an issue with it.

    Companies only seem to care during or near June. Why should it be relegated to one month? Perhaps, it's my outside looking in view, but that seems ######### up to only care when there is a possibility of good PR.

    In my humble opinion (as someone who isn't a part of the LGBTQ community), Pride shouldn't be relegated to a single month and companies should support it year round. Perhaps it's still too early to do that, to make Pride "normal." That's the end goal, right? To be accepted and treated the same as everyone else?

    If I'm totally off-base, I apologize, but I do have an issue with companies using Pride Month as a PR move and ignoring issues the rest of the year.

  • @Syndrome0fAdown said:

    lol deleting comments that are completely reasonable. Who hired the mods here?

    BHVR did, as this is a Forum for their game, Dead By Daylight and subsequently, they control what is allowed on the Forum.

  • @Unifall said:

    Idk twitter is just weird never been a fan of it. But calling people homophobes isn't gonna help. Instead of calling them that maybe you can help educate them.

    Educate a twitter user? Hahahaha you must be crazy sir.

  • @WexlerWendigo said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2224109#Comment_2224109

    Gay people are not regularly portrayed well at all. Gay people are stereotyped in main stream media as feminine, loud, weak, comedic relief, etc. Quite frankly, I don’t think straight people can determine what is and isn’t fair representation. Again, maybe you should reconsider your life choices if you made this account just to be an ######### on a pro LGBTQ+ thread.

    I do think he's correct in that, as a straight man, I don't feel that anyone celebrates or pays any particular attention to me or my sexual preference, but otherwise I agree with all of your points.

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2224132#Comment_2224132

    I have an issue with it.

    Companies only seem to care during or near June. Why should it be relegated to one month? Perhaps, it's my outside looking in view, but that seems ######### up to only care when there is a possibility of good PR.

    In my humble opinion (as someone who isn't a part of the LGBTQ community), Pride shouldn't be relegated to a single month and companies should support it year round. Perhaps it's still too early to do that, to make Pride "normal." That's the end goal, right? To be accepted and treated the same as everyone else?

    If I'm totally off-base, I apologize, but I do have an issue with companies using Pride Month as a PR move and ignoring issues the rest of the year.

    I agree it should be a year round event, but it’s already hard enough to get people to care for a month right now. It makes it a lot easier to be a big event and get people’s attention.

    100% companies use it as a PR move, but really there’s nothing to avoid that in the current state of the world.

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2224132#Comment_2224132

    I have an issue with it.

    Companies only seem to care during or near June. Why should it be relegated to one month? Perhaps, it's my outside looking in view, but that seems ######### up to only care when there is a possibility of good PR.

    In my humble opinion (as someone who isn't a part of the LGBTQ community), Pride shouldn't be relegated to a single month and companies should support it year round. Perhaps it's still too early to do that, to make Pride "normal." That's the end goal, right? To be accepted and treated the same as everyone else?

    If I'm totally off-base, I apologize, but I do have an issue with companies using Pride Month as a PR move and ignoring issues the rest of the year.

    For the sake of argument, if a company (any company) were to recognize it year-round, what would you consider to be a proper way of doing so?

  • Clearly you're the genius here when you made a whole new account to get out of a jail just so you could ######### and moan about Pride more.

  • @BigFatChungus said:

    I'm just making this discussion because twitter is exploding with people who loved the charm and homophobics who didn't like it.

    I fully support behavior by introducing this charm. They not only shows great support from the company, but also the way that they introduced this theme to the game. In a simple and responsible way and at no time did they seem to be trying to earn social points.

    But I wanted to understand more from people who don't agree with this charm. what is the problem so profound with this being in the game?

    Most people support it I don't care either way. I just don't like that survivors are going to wear it on every character so they can try to get killers banned for camping or tunneling

  • @DeliciousFood said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2224027#Comment_2224027

    Hmmm, uncertain this is correct. Isn't Pride month inclusive to all, including heterosexuals that want to help the cause? Also, I do not think homosexual and otherwise are really excluded from anything where I'm from.

    Homosexuality is literaly a crime in 60+ countrys

  • @ClumsyTrapper said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/253125/why-would-people-get-mad-about-pride-charm

    Most people support it I don't care either way. I just don't like that survivors are going to wear it on every character so they can try to get killers banned for camping or tunneling

    Proof that this is a thing? It’s a much bigger concern that people will get tunnelled because they’re wearing it.

  • Also, just as a side note. The burden of educating isn’t on minorities. It’s 2021, google exists and nobody has an excuse for their ignorance anymore.

  • @WexlerWendigo said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2224186#Comment_2224186

    Proof that this is a thing? It’s a much bigger concern that people will get tunnelled because they’re wearing it.

    I'm willing to bet money on it 💰

  • @miketheratguy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2224150#Comment_2224150

    For the sake of argument, if a company (any company) were to recognize it year-round, what would you consider to be a proper way of doing so?

    Not complete and total silence on issues would be a start.

    Honestly, I don't feel like I'm capable of properly answering that question, as I am not apart of the community

  • @WexlerWendigo said:

    Also, just as a side note. The burden of educating isn’t on minorities. It’s 2021, google exists and nobody has an excuse for their ignorance anymore.

    Just a side note maybe video games could just be a place to game?

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2224183#Comment_2224183

    Not complete and total silence on issues would be a start.

    Honestly, I don't feel like I'm capable of properly answering that question, as I am not apart of the community

    That's a fair answer. Just know that I was legitimately curious, not trying to put you on the spot.

  • Details? I'm down if we can work out a reasonable way of determining a winner

  • @ClumsyTrapper said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2224190#Comment_2224190

    Just a side note maybe video games could just be a place to game?

    Then they can remove the references of straight relationships in the game in the case of Claudette’s parents, Felix, Nurse, etc. Gay relationships in games hurt nobody, there is no argument against this.

  • "I don't believe intelligence can be accurately quantified, but I do have an IQ of 187 and an eidetic memory and can read 20,000 words per minute."

    "So yes, I'm a genius."

  • @Syndrome0fAdown said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2224190#Comment_2224190

    repeating propaganda and talking points for a particular social worldview != educating

    Oh, so it’s propaganda to promote tolerance and equality now? Thanks for showing your true colours!

    Although, they already were exposed when you made an account just to be homophobic.

  • @miketheratguy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2224198#Comment_2224198

    That's a fair answer. Just know that I was legitimately curious, not trying to put you on the spot.

    I had figured, we've discussed this before and I'd simply like to defer my answer to someone like @GoodBoyKaru who may be able to give you a better answer, since they are in the community.

    Ultimately, it doesn't matter what I think, it matters what those in the LGBTQ community think.

  • @WexlerWendigo said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2224202#Comment_2224202

    Then they can remove the references of straight relationships in the game in the case of Claudette’s parents, Felix, Nurse, etc. Gay relationships in games hurt nobody, there is no argument against this.

    If there was no argument we wouldn't be having an argument. An I agree there's no need for any sexuality at all. This is a video game not health Ed.

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2224205#Comment_2224205

    I had figured, we've discussed this before and I'd simply like to defer my answer to someone like @GoodBoyKaru who may be able to give you a better answer, since they are in the community.

    Ultimately, it doesn't matter what I think, it matters what those in the LGBTQ community think.

    And again, that's a wise and diplomatic answer.

    You just got me to thinking: If a company WERE to do something to acknowledge the LGBQT community beyond gay pride month, what would they do that wouldn't come across as artificial to that community, or bothersome to the part of the audience that didn't like it?

    To me it's just an interesting hypothetical, one that - as you observed - would probably be best explored by someone from that community.

  • @ClumsyTrapper said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2224190#Comment_2224190

    Just a side note maybe video games could just be a place to game?

    Oh noooo, a rainbow charm is going to destroy your experience noooooooooo

  • @justad00d said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2223120#Comment_2223120

    I think it’s a little different. I’m going to play devil’s advocate here. Heterosexuality is not being celebrated with heterosexuals month, heterosexual parades, or heterosexual-themed items, etc. You hear some people say they feel like this LGBT stuff is thrown in their faces/flaunted/crammed down their throats or whatever. They may feel uncomfortable about the subject, it may be against their religious upbringing, and they may just be tired of demands to see it acknowledged and celebrated everywhere, even in a horror game they bought to murder some people with Freddy. Im more neutral and don’t particularly share these same beliefs or anything, but hopefully you are at least capable of understanding a little why some people are not super crazy about the idea of LGBT events and items in the game.

    LOL, its a charm. JUST a charm, this game have a kpop idol killer, a elephant clown skin, a santa claus skin and even a dwelf skin. Why is a rainbow charm flag so problematic?

    There is no political stuff getting throwed at their face, its just a charm

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2224205#Comment_2224205

    I had figured, we've discussed this before and I'd simply like to defer my answer to someone like @GoodBoyKaru who may be able to give you a better answer, since they are in the community.

    Ultimately, it doesn't matter what I think, it matters what those in the LGBTQ community think.

    Precisely why I refrain from discussing this topic, to be honest. I am not a member of the community, and I think it is not the best idea to discuss it if you don't fully understand it. I don't fully understand it.

  • @BigFatChungus said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2224202#Comment_2224202

    Oh noooo, a rainbow charm is going to destroy your experience noooooooooo

    I love the charm I'm indifferent on people's sexual preference. I don't like that people can get banned for tunneling or camping Because the survivor had the charm. I tunnel and camp with equality

  • @Syndrome0fAdown said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2224211#Comment_2224211

    the whole "it's not minorities' job to educate you" almost always comes after a challenge to a claim that sounds something like "POC are systemically oppressed" "white men rule the world" "you're privileged to be white, male, a christian" etc. Yes, the idea that you're a lowly powerless peasant if you're a minority, female, gay, etc. and a powerful lord if you're male, and white, and straight is complete propaganda.

    I haven't seen anyone here say that.

    Except you, just now.

  • @Visi said:

    Because it's political activism being injected into an apolitical game, and opposing such a thing does not make one a "homophobe." Of course being gay isn't inherently political, but you cannot deny the political machine that operates under the banner of LGBTQ* exists, and the tiresome pandering by corporations every year around June is part of that.

    Its a rainbow charm, GAY STUFF, being gay is not political.

  • @Syndrome0fAdown said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2224210#Comment_2224210

    if you were, you would understand a rhetorical question and the subtext and message behind it.

    My knowledge of rhetorical questions doesn't affect my decision in responding to you.

    It's likely that you've bitten off more than you can chew by arguing with so many people at once.

    However, I'm interested in hearing what you have to say, if only to pick it apart later.

    Also, see the quotes? Those are there for a reason.

  • @BigFatChungus said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2224202#Comment_2224202

    Oh noooo, a rainbow charm is going to destroy your experience noooooooooo

    Just to be clear, I agree with you. It's just a charm, and I've already unlocked mine.

    But, playing devil's advocate as he did, what if there were a symbol of something YOU yourself didn't like, but which many others did, and they put that in the game? Would you not feel that the game was going beyond the realm of being "just a game" and starting to include iconography that you found worrisome? Or if it were a religious symbol that bothered someone else? Say a Muslim player being offended that the game included a menorah to celebrate passover?

    Again, this charm doesn't upset me. But I find this debate interesting, I wonder where the lines of acceptability would be drawn.

  • I think that's a very interesting hypothetical example.

1 2 3 4