A question about the game's past and present
Greetings survivors, killers, and both-siders of the Fog! I hope this thread finds you doing well.
So, a recent thread created by @TGB made me think about DBD's past and present. Some people in the thread have pointed out issues DBD has / used to have, and they are right. For example, infinite loops and Old DS in the past and today's whole new level of gen rush and "hold W" meta.
However, one thing which was overlooked (and often is overlooked) is the fact that DBD had its advantages in the past, because most people like to talk about how the problems with balance were solved but they never talk about the good things we had, such as: Old Freddy, Old Billy, a better ambience, better events, Splinters, and the list goes on.
In conclusion, what I am trying to say here is that DBD had its problems in the past, but it also had extremely good things which current DBD does not possess. And now we can go to the question I would like to ask y'all. And it doesn't matter if you are a 2016 pioneer, a 2017 veteran, a 2018 absolute true gamer (like me), a 2019 champion, a 2020 Fog Warrior, or a 2021 shiny newcomer. It doesn't matter, as everyone can answer this question.
And the question is:
If you could return to an older version of Dead by Daylight, would you? Why, or why not? And if your answer is yes, what version would you like to return to?
Personally, my answer is yes. If I could, I would like to return to version 2.4.0 because that is when I first started playing and I genuinely think that the game was in a better state back then, especially regarding player experience. And, if you don't know what version I am talking about, allow me to refresh your memory:
And that is it! I am looking forward to reading your answers, and as always: see you in the Fog!
-Signed by GeneralV, your local Old Freddy main.

Comments
Ah, that is really sweet, thank you my friend <3
And I am really grateful for being here during Winter Solstice. That menu music alone was so good that it gave me chills. I remember being greeted by that Winter theme together with Freddy's laugh.
Good memories, my friend. Good memories.
December of 2016 it is. The game truly felt different back then, and I would be lying if I said I wouldn't like to give it a shot.
No Freddy = sadness for me, tho.
We all have some fond memories from the time we started playing, don't we?
And I kinda like your choice here. It may not be old enough for me, but nevertheless it was a good time to play DBD.
That is surprising. With the way I feel about the current state of the game, I wasn't expecting anyone to actually like it. But hey, to each their own. And I suppose I understand your point here, if I look at it balance-wise and balance-wise only.
I get that, i used to hate playing Ghostface. It was the worst, but after playing him for a while and going up against him some more I've gotten used to him
To be honest, I also hate Ghostface. He has been the bane of my existence ever since his PTB, and he was literally the worst killer back then.
Like in tier list wise, how it power was lack luster from the very beginning? Because I agree, I like him now though
that's... not the reason. it's got nothing to do with his strength. like, it's not a "swf bullied me" memory but a genuine awful memory associated with the character.
Yes, I believe you've mentioned this on another thread. And I am sorry you had to go through that experience, whatever it was.
If I could return to the past I wouldn't return to an older version of Day by Daylight. I would return to and older version of myself playing Day by Daylight. But it is impossible.
I really miss a lot the stress, tension and terror the game used to cause to me as a new survivor and the almighty sensation I used to felt as new killer.
I keep enjoying play Dbd today but the time changed terror and power into salt XD. Nothing is forever...
As killer I would return Billy at what he used to be before the 2020 nerf.
As survivor I would return hatch as it used to be in 2016.
Fair enough, I guess we all miss that tension we got from our first trials.
However, I suppose an older version of the game could help you with that, especially considering the creepy ambience we used to have back in the day.
I have finally done it: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/250740/i-downloaded-and-played-old-dbd-here-are-my-thoughts/p1?new=1
Joke is on you, my friend, I was already reading it!
I kinda like the old edition but every killer actually drops you when you have decisive strike, which aggravates the crap outta survivors.
Hey, there was nothing wrong with that. I did it myself, but it was necessity to avoid getting stunned.
Oof
Oh, come on. What would you do? Eat the stun?
No, that would hurt as hell.
Indeed. That is what I am saying, you had to dribble. Otherwise:
Outplayed
EDIT: My post was deleted :/
I am still relatively new, early 2020, but I would definitely go back to darker levels.
It seems basically unfair when playing killer that I can see people through any line of sight from miles away.
As survivor I also love pulling some sneaky play mid-chase when they lose sight and you can double back and trick them, which is much harder when everything is so bright.
Oh, I am sorry to hear that, my friend, but I am glad I was able to read it before it was too late.
I agree with one on that one, my friend, especially when it comes to sneaky plays.
Do you have any specific version you would like to return to?
I'm going to remake it from scratch and post it again tomorrow with the "Bad no no things we don't support" removed.
Until then, what did you think of it?
It was a very interesting read, my friend, just as I imagined it would be. And I actually agree with most, if not all, of your points there.
Last but not least, I am sorry for the final conclusion. I truly hope you can, somehow, enjoy DBD again.