What We See Posted Here VS What We Should See Posted Here
I'm going to take time away from my daily chore of tilting with the windmills of fuzzy thought, glittering generalities, rhetorical fallacies, and plain bad arguments to address a larger problem. I want to shine a bit of light on THE problem, and I hope it sends the cockroaches scurrying away. In all honesty, these are some mighty big pests so I doubt they even care about being exposed anymore. For many people here, self respect, dignity, and shame are alien concepts. I digress, so I'm going to return to my points now.
This Forum is dedicated (for the most part) to the game Dead by Daylight. That means, normally, if you are here you enjoy the game. It means we share a common hobby and have come to talk to each other about it. That doesn't mean I expect there to be a bunch of threads where we sit around talking about how great the game is and weirdness like that. Fandom is different from love of a game. Likewise, one should not expect to see endless rants of bile where people who supposedly enjoy the game spend all their time complaining about it (and everything else). Threads that are nothing but lovefests would be suspect, just as all the venting screeds are suspect.
My point is that if we are truly here as enthusiasts who enjoy playing the game, there should be a lot more threads about tactics, strategies, and day to day interactions we see in a match. I play a lot of sports in the real world, and I assure you that when I hang out with my peers we talk about the games we play, what works, what doesn't, how to get better, and so on. Fencers, for example, talk about techniques and guard positions. We talk about timing and a lot about footwork (boring as I'm sure it is to those who don't fence). Do you see where I'm going with this?
All sports and games, when discussed by genuine people who play them, tend to focus on entirely different things than we see here in this Forum. The vast majority of posts here (rather than in the real world) tell me a lot about you instantly, and very little of what it tells me is good. I don't think any of us would hang out with people in real life if our conversations with them revolved around complaining, scapegoating, accusations, whining, moaning, and groaning. In our real lives, people like that are radioactive. We don't tolerate them. It makes me wonder if that is why so many end up here on the internet.
So where are the posts that are talking about "the moves" and the technique? Why aren't there more posts of war stories (which tend to be funny and genuine even when talking about a loss) rather than just whining complaints? Why are there so few posts where people are organizing play, reaching out to newbies to promote the hobby by getting them up to speed, and simply interacting as human beings over something we supposedly share an interest in? I'm not saying these posts don't exist, I see them now and then, but it is like Finding Waldo to spot them in all the inane dribble. There are posters I see trying to help new players (even the whiners) but largely their good works are shunned or ignored. Why is it that I think more of you enjoy complaining about the game more than playing it? Who are you people? Why are you here? If I wasn't enjoying this game, I would have already moved on. If you don't enjoy it, why are you staying? Radioactive.
Comments
I'm going to see how downhill this goes.
I'll set the timer real quick
Can't wait for the comments to really kick off
I find people don't respond much to how your last game went or whatever, because it doesn't relate much to them. So people tend to stick to what they don't like about the game, or what they're excited about is coming next. Because that's something more people can relate to.
Also DBD players tend to have a habit of needing to vent about their bad games more than talk about their good ones because the bad ones are more memorable. Some games also aren't too memorable or don't have moments that really stand out.
ikr
What I find interesting (and somewhat hopeful) is that there hasn't been an explosion of responses. That tells me I was wrong, and more people do have a sense of shame. For what it is worth, I reviewed the posts of DecisiveDwight, HaunterofShadows, and Dabihwow and found them to have LOTS of what I would consider normal, sane posts which actually discuss the hobby in the way a genuine enthusiast would. There were interesting posts about Lore, other subjects, insightful comments on playstyle and even some technique. I'm sorry to say DapperTrapper but your posts did not include much other than complaints.
I don't expect everyone to agree with me (it would be weird if they did) but I do expect people who share a hobby to have some way to connect that is more than rants, bile, and/or propaganda of one sort or another. I merely submit that we should be seeing a lot more discussions about playing the game, rather than just complaining about it.
This seems a reasonable observation, but I also hope it is a trend that can be bucked. I think the negative feedback cycle is bad for the game overall without some input of normal hobby input. Therein lies the problem, more or less content people don't feel the need to chime in, whereas disgruntled types can't seem to hold back. It creates a funhouse mirror version of game, an unhealthy situation to say the least.
Whoa I got a shout out thanks in all truthfulness I love this game but you gotta make it your own if you don't it's just a messy stressful experience and some people are still learning this I think.
This game definitely generates a lot of ...passion. I just take a break whenever it's pissing me off but I'll still come here to get into pointless arguments on balance even if I haven't touched it in a month.
It goes from person to person, im into art so I love to talk about lore, designs for each characters and what can come in the future and talking about strategy and matches that I've played is kinda boring for me, this is just my take on the subject I don't make posts complaining about things because I honestly don't care.
Same tbh
While I have no talent for art, I have really enjoyed the discussions of it by people who do. I think it is a case of envy, the grass is always greener on your neighbor's lawn. I'm a writer, so the extent of my ability is to rearrange words in an order that sometimes can invoke an image in the mind. I always wanted to be able to paint or play an instrument which is the real thing rather than a verbal echo of it.
Yeah when this game does frustrate me I just breathe and if it pisses me off i get up and take a water break or something similar.
Tbh, I agree with what your saying, but I think the reason why these foruns and discussions are the way they are is a few reasons:
Idk, I think all of those play some role in it, some more then others. I think you can also make an argument for the fact that balance itself is just such a major topic amoung creators, which helps spread discussion around it- but tbh I don't think it's a major topic because of creators. Sure, they might help bring some things to light, but they're definitely not the only thing behind all the NOED posts.
Yeah, that truly is interesting. After reading it I expected the comments to be angry responses or something similar.
Tbf these forums are not reflective of what the DBD community in its entirety believe in terms of the game’s issues/ideas etc. They are just a portion of it.
In fact, it is my belief that the general consensus is that these forums have a bad reputation. As sad as that is to say, because I am sure there are some wonderful people on here... but like many other forms of social media where bickering just seems potent, many probably don’t bother in the idea that their opinion might just get drowned in all of the negativity. That’s why people tend to stay away, only lurk on the forums IMO.
tl;dr
🙃