New and ranked up to quickly

Hello everyone thanks for taking the time to check out my post.

I'm new to the game just got my trapper to level 50 and reached rank 5. But I'm having alot of trouble now.

My perks I usually use are:

Bitter Murmur ,Hex: Noed, Agitation, and Deer stalker

My usual add-ons are the green tar bottle and a bag yellow or purple if I have one.

I try to put survivors in the basement when possible and trap widows and pallets near gens.

Any advise on how to use trapper or load out suggestions would be great.

Thank you again!

Tagged: Mod

Comments

  • Yep, it's common for killers to rank up too quickly, then have difficulty getting back down to the rank they feel they should be at.

    It's because there's a sudden leap in player skill around the purple/red ranks, which changes the game from being killer sided, to survivor sided.

    You won't do well in red ranks unless you play a strong killer (Trapper isn't one of them) and take a lot of gen defence perks (which you don't have there).

    I am generalising of course, but statistically speaking, you'll be facing better survivors at that rank who know how to play with killers.

    The perks you have on are widely regarded as 'crutch perks'. Bitter Murmur aids you when you fail (a gen pops), NOED is a back up for when you really fail (all gens are done), Agitation shouldn't be necessary most of the time, and Deer Stalker is for when you lose a downed survivor which also shouldn't really happen. They all scream "I am having trouble" so yeah, you definitely shouldn't be at rank 5 yet.

    If you're happy losing a lot of games, just power through and take it as an opportunity to learn and get better. Otherwise you can try to de-rank. Your best strategy to win games at that level is to try to use the basement as much as possible, but if you want to translate over to other killers then you can't rely on the basement all the time.

  • @Seraphor said:

    Yep, it's common for killers to rank up too quickly, then have difficulty getting back down to the rank they feel they should be at.

    It's because there's a sudden leap in player skill around the purple/red ranks, which changes the game from being killer sided, to survivor sided.

    You won't do well in red ranks unless you play a strong killer (Trapper isn't one of them) and take a lot of gen defence perks (which you don't have there).

    I am generalising of course, but statistically speaking, you'll be facing better survivors at that rank who know how to play with killers.

    The perks you have on are widely regarded as 'crutch perks'. Bitter Murmur aids you when you fail (a gen pops), NOED is a back up for when you really fail (all gens are done), Agitation shouldn't be necessary most of the time, and Deer Stalker is for when you lose a downed survivor which also shouldn't really happen. They all scream "I am having trouble" so yeah, you definitely shouldn't be at rank 5 yet.

    If you're happy losing a lot of games, just power through and take it as an opportunity to learn and get better. Otherwise you can try to de-rank. Your best strategy to win games at that level is to try to use the basement as much as possible, but if you want to translate over to other killers then you can't rely on the basement all the time.

    Thank you for the advise

  • @ClumsyTrapper said:

    Hello everyone thanks for taking the time to check out my post.

    I'm new to the game just got my trapper to level 50 and reached rank 5. But I'm having alot of trouble now.

    My perks I usually use are:

    Bitter Murmur ,Hex: Noed, Agitation, and Deer stalker

    My usual add-ons are the green tar bottle and a bag yellow or purple if I have one.

    I try to put survivors in the basement when possible and trap widows and pallets near gens.

    Any advise on how to use trapper or load out suggestions would be great.

    Thank you again!

    Honestly with trapper you don't really play him as regular killer, you have to lockdown areas with your trap. You don't go looking for people, you have to wait for people to come to your area. But I get what you mean, in red ranks survivors are usually a lot smarter and will loop you infinitely, and disarm any traps you put.

  • @Trickstaaaaa said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/245316/new-and-ranked-up-to-quickly

    Honestly with trapper you don't really play him as regular killer, you have to lockdown areas with your trap. You don't go looking for people, you have to wait for people to come to your area. But I get what you mean, in red ranks survivors are usually a lot smarter and will loop you infinitely, and disarm any traps you put.

    Thank you for your input, do you put alot of traps in one area? Like 2 or 4?

  • @ClumsyTrapper said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2138649#Comment_2138649

    Thank you for your input, do you put alot of traps in one area? Like 2 or 4?

    I tend to place traps in areas were I know survivors will jump over, and or walk around, or while in chases. I usually place my traps to create a three gen set up. so around a certain area. As the match tends to go on, I will place traps on generators or choke points in certain maps such stairs and thing like that. Not to trap survivors but to alert me know if they disarm my traps. So I can go. But mind you if it's vs a SWF my way of playing may not work.

  • Go to YouTube and check out otzdarva. He was a trapper main for a long time and is a great teacher when learning killers.

  • @Trickstaaaaa said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2138654#Comment_2138654

    I tend to place traps in areas were I know survivors will jump over, and or walk around, or while in chases. I usually place my traps to create a three gen set up. so around a certain area. As the match tends to go on, I will place traps on generators or choke points in certain maps such stairs and thing like that. Not to trap survivors but to alert me know if they disarm my traps. So I can go. But mind you if it's vs a SWF my way of playing may not work.

    Thank you again, I'll try this out. But can I ask what's a 3 gen set up?

  • @Kirkylad said:

    Go to YouTube and check out otzdarva. He was a trapper main for a long time and is a great teacher when learning killers.

    Thank you, I'll check him out tonight

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    TheEntityLeftHand is an experienced Trapper main, check him on Twitch. Otzdarva also considers himself a Trapper main (although he plays all killers) and he has some guides on him on Youtube.

    https://youtu.be/D9C4aeuWaMM

    https://youtu.be/kvTesdUvYbI

    Thank you, I'll check out both of them

  • He's really good and he has loads of videos to learn from for all killers :).

  • @ClumsyTrapper said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2138706#Comment_2138706

    Thank you again, I'll try this out. But can I ask what's a 3 gen set up?

    You find 3 gens very close to each other and put a web of traps in that area, it makes it very difficult for the survivors to finish the last generator. The trick is to not chase survivors when they try to lead you out of this area, and to not let them finish any of these gens even at the cost of the others. Usually if you're going to do this you want to run. pop goes the weasel. If you do go this route prepare for salt, survivors find killers that stick to a 3 gen to be highly annoying

  • @ClumsyTrapper said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2138706#Comment_2138706

    Thank you again, I'll try this out. But can I ask what's a 3 gen set up?

    3 gen setup, is when you find the closest gens together and try to put traps around the perimeter.

  • @jester20k said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2138871#Comment_2138871

    You find 3 gens very close to each other and put a web of traps in that area, it makes it very difficult for the survivors to finish the last generator. The trick is to not chase survivors when they try to lead you out of this area, and to not let them finish any of these gens even at the cost of the others. Usually if you're going to do this you want to run. pop goes the weasel. If you do go this route prepare for salt, survivors find killers that stick to a 3 gen to be highly annoying

    Thank you for your advise I'll try it

  • @Trickstaaaaa said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2138871#Comment_2138871

    3 gen setup, is when you find the closest gens together and try to put traps around the perimeter.

    Thank you again just found out the number of gens that spawn is always the same

  • Something nobody else has said so far:

    Once you start going against better survivors you want to place traps in the grass around loops/windows instead of directly under a pallet.

    Trapper is widely regarded as one of the worst killers partially because he spends a lot of time setting traps which may or may not pay out. This is why you want to hide traps so survivors won't just run past them and take a hit instead of going down instantly or disarm them (one survivor disarming a trap is a big net loss of your time because 1 second for them is like 4 seconds for you).

    If you have to you can even place traps around large buildings survivors run you around to get to real loops. Potentially being unpredictable is one of the only things Trapper has going.

  • @RepostRiposte said:

    Something nobody else has said so far:

    Once you start going against better survivors you want to place traps in the grass around loops/windows instead of directly under a pallet.

    Trapper is widely regarded as one of the worst killers partially because he spends a lot of time setting traps which may or may not pay out. This is why you want to hide traps so survivors won't just run past them and take a hit instead of going down instantly or disarm them (one survivor disarming a trap is a big net loss of your time because 1 second for them is like 4 seconds for you).

    If you have to you can even place traps around large buildings survivors run you around to get to real loops. Potentially being unpredictable is one of the only things Trapper has going.

    Thank you alot I'll look for good spots in the grass

  • There's already been a lot of great advice thus far, and if I may, add a bit myself. Not entirely perks or loadouts, but something that helped me immensely with Trapper, a killer that used to be my hands-down least favorite, and is now my go-to killer.

    As survivors get better at higher ranks, you'll definitely have matches where you'll feel the pressure that you need to immediately chase them down as soon as you can move. My advise is don't be afraid to take a little time and set up, even go a little out of the way to pick a trap up or set it up somewhere (might even find a survivor while doing so!). Even if a gen pops while doing so, don't panic, these traps may very well be the difference in catching a survivor later on (can speak from experience both as killer and survivor on that one lol). The bag add-ons definitely help you get more used to this, and after a while you may be comfortable running a loadout without them as well!

  • @EQWashu said:

    There's already been a lot of great advice thus far, and if I may, add a bit myself. Not entirely perks or loadouts, but something that helped me immensely with Trapper, a killer that used to be my hands-down least favorite, and is now my go-to killer.

    As survivors get better at higher ranks, you'll definitely have matches where you'll feel the pressure that you need to immediately chase them down as soon as you can move. My advise is don't be afraid to take a little time and set up, even go a little out of the way to pick a trap up or set it up somewhere (might even find a survivor while doing so!). Even if a gen pops while doing so, don't panic, these traps may very well be the difference in catching a survivor later on (can speak from experience both as killer and survivor on that one lol). The bag add-ons definitely help you get more used to this, and after a while you may be comfortable running a loadout without them as well!

    Thank you, the pressure does get to me earlier in the match at times when gens are popping. I'll try staying calm.

  • If you have time to watch some streamer, I'd recommend you TheEntitysLeftHand

  • @ClumsyTrapper said:

    Hello everyone thanks for taking the time to check out my post.

    I'm new to the game just got my trapper to level 50 and reached rank 5. But I'm having alot of trouble now.

    My perks I usually use are:

    Bitter Murmur ,Hex: Noed, Agitation, and Deer stalker

    My usual add-ons are the green tar bottle and a bag yellow or purple if I have one.

    I try to put survivors in the basement when possible and trap widows and pallets near gens.

    Any advise on how to use trapper or load out suggestions would be great.

    Thank you again!

    Alternatively, you didn't rank up too quickly, and you're a killer prodigy.....

    My padowan....you have greatness in your veins!

  • @BartSimpson said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2138638#Comment_2138638

    Don’t let anyone fool you, Trapper is super good, if you play him correctly. You just have to place your traps in highly pathed areas. Learn which ways are most frequently traveled and lay traps accordingly. The only Gen defense I use is Thrilling tremors, and I really only use that to see whose working on gens. I could run trapper perkless and still do well. Gotta get the extra trap bags for sure though.

    Trap placement, I avoid windows at the start, wait until later to place at a window.

    Thank you for the tip on windows

  • @Seraphor said:

    Yep, it's common for killers to rank up too quickly, then have difficulty getting back down to the rank they feel they should be at.

    It's because there's a sudden leap in player skill around the purple/red ranks, which changes the game from being killer sided, to survivor sided.

    You won't do well in red ranks unless you play a strong killer (Trapper isn't one of them) and take a lot of gen defence perks (which you don't have there).

    I am generalising of course, but statistically speaking, you'll be facing better survivors at that rank who know how to play with killers.

    The perks you have on are widely regarded as 'crutch perks'. Bitter Murmur aids you when you fail (a gen pops), NOED is a back up for when you really fail (all gens are done), Agitation shouldn't be necessary most of the time, and Deer Stalker is for when you lose a downed survivor which also shouldn't really happen. They all scream "I am having trouble" so yeah, you definitely shouldn't be at rank 5 yet.

    If you're happy losing a lot of games, just power through and take it as an opportunity to learn and get better. Otherwise you can try to de-rank. Your best strategy to win games at that level is to try to use the basement as much as possible, but if you want to translate over to other killers then you can't rely on the basement all the time.

    Eh, I wouldn't really agree with that crutch perk part. Yeah, NOED is the king of crutches, but perks like Bitter Murmur and Deerstalker actually help you. Calling them perks that reward you for losing and playing badly isn't really accurate - by that logic, Enduring is a crutch perk because it'll only activate if you get stunned, and Tinkerer is a crutch perk because it rewards you for letting generators be repaired.

  • If you don't want to depip and keep trying to climb with Trapper the build I use is Brutal Strength, Pop, Save The Best For Last, and BBQ. It allows you to get back into the chases faster after pallet breaks or getting enough STBFL stacks which cover Trapper's biggest weakness.

    If you want to depip and don't mind losing a lot lot lot of games in a row I recommend picking up and learning Nurse or Trickster.

  • @JHondo said:

    If you don't want to depip and keep trying to climb with Trapper the build I use is Brutal Strength, Pop, Save The Best For Last, and BBQ. It allows you to get back into the chases faster after pallet breaks or getting enough STBFL stacks which cover Trapper's biggest weakness.

    If you want to depip and don't mind losing a lot lot lot of games in a row I recommend picking up and learning Nurse or Trickster.

    Thank you, I'll try some chase and stall perks I have, not many tho. But I really enjoy trapper I think I'll stick with him and see where the system puts me

  • @justad00d said:

    First thing I would do is put bloodpoints into the Cannibal to unlock bbq and chili. Not only is it a decent perk, but it will double your bloodpoints. Run that on your killer of choice and use the extra bloodpoints to level up other killers and unlock all the perks you want.

    thank you cannibal might be the next I get but I might hold off until I want to try the killer out as well

  • @ClumsyTrapper said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2139270#Comment_2139270

    Thank you, I'll try some chase and stall perks I have, not many tho. But I really enjoy trapper I think I'll stick with him and see where the system puts me

    When I started playing a lot of Trapper I found Otz's videos a ton of help in terms of trap placement. The build I mentioned above is my basic M1 killer build that I use on Trapper, Ghostface, Pig, Plague, Wraith, etc. I've found it to be a good overall build on 115% speed killers that don't have a strong chase power. The downside is needing to grind out Trapper, Meyers, Clown, and Bubba for it. For basic perks, NOED isn't bad, I'd swap Deer Stalker for Sloppy Butcher as a basic slow down, and maybe stick with Bitter Murmur or Whispers for tracking. I you prefer to play at Basement Trapper and tracking isn't much of an issue for ya then try Iron Grasp instead with Agitation.

  • Trapper really isn't my main, so I don't feel it's my place to offer advice on him. If you are looking for good advice on playing Trapper, I can't think of many people who play him better than Not Otzdarva on YT. I'm also personally fond of Theentitylefthand on twitch - but some people find his roleplay to be a bit off-putting (he has a very friendly community though)

    As for common tricks that most killers can learn - probably the thing that will help you the most is learning how to hide your red stain when rounding corners. (red stain is a light that projects in front of you that survivors can see, but you can't see) That red stain can be seen by survivors before you come into view as you approach corners, so learn how to hide it by looking away from corners and other edges your approaching and you'll throw many mediocre survivors off their game a bit by giving them a little less time to respond to your appearance.

  • Im a Trapper main too, my goal in playing is fair play but rather quick game, or to punish the toxic.

    Save the best for last / Blood warden / Noed / Rancor

    A brown bag + anything but coil.

    Early game I focus on checking basement, if basement isnt near where I spawn, I will go for 3 Gen instead of basement.

    I mostly ignore survivors who want to chase, only hit them and I continue on my traps. I only start the game when I finish trapping (in rare case, 4 Gen done at that point).

    Unlike other killers who get 1st hook at 3 Gen done. I start chase at 3 Gen. Despite that, I play it fair (barely eat DS).

    5 Gen done is where the trial truly begin. 95% of games Noed happens.

  • @JHondo said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2139325#Comment_2139325

    When I started playing a lot of Trapper I found Otz's videos a ton of help in terms of trap placement. The build I mentioned above is my basic M1 killer build that I use on Trapper, Ghostface, Pig, Plague, Wraith, etc. I've found it to be a good overall build on 115% speed killers that don't have a strong chase power. The downside is needing to grind out Trapper, Meyers, Clown, and Bubba for it. For basic perks, NOED isn't bad, I'd swap Deer Stalker for Sloppy Butcher as a basic slow down, and maybe stick with Bitter Murmur or Whispers for tracking. I you prefer to play at Basement Trapper and tracking isn't much of an issue for ya then try Iron Grasp instead with Agitation.

    Thank you for the tip on sloppy butcher I think it's helped alot

  • @FrenziedRoach said:

    Trapper really isn't my main, so I don't feel it's my place to offer advice on him. If you are looking for good advice on playing Trapper, I can't think of many people who play him better than Not Otzdarva on YT. I'm also personally fond of Theentitylefthand on twitch - but some people find his roleplay to be a bit off-putting (he has a very friendly community though)

    As for common tricks that most killers can learn - probably the thing that will help you the most is learning how to hide your red stain when rounding corners. (red stain is a light that projects in front of you that survivors can see, but you can't see) That red stain can be seen by survivors before you come into view as you approach corners, so learn how to hide it by looking away from corners and other edges your approaching and you'll throw many mediocre survivors off their game a bit by giving them a little less time to respond to your appearance.

    Thank you I'll have to practice this