This community

I just don’t understand what it is about this game that just brings out the worst in people. Between surfing the forums and in game experiences I’ve had with survivors/killers I generally do not understand how this game is going as strong as it is. I want to say I enjoy my time when I play but how most of my matches go SOMEONE is ALWAYS going out of their way to grief other players just because. Post game chats just add salt to the wounds. Is it majority of this game is young teens and just haven’t grown up or people just so filled with spite that they will take it out on anyone? I don’t understand why this game in particular is one of the worst when it comes it’s player base.

Tagged: Trusted

Comments

  • If you’ve played any other online game you’d know how tame DBD’s toxicity is. Sure people are toxic in endgame chat but you can turn it off

  • "Frustration opens us to feelings of despair and isolation, creating a toxic environment."

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IG7tbo-ouIU


  • @LeleLP said:

    I just don’t understand what it is about this game that just brings out the worst in people. Between surfing the forums and in game experiences I’ve had with survivors/killers I generally do not understand how this game is going as strong as it is. I want to say I enjoy my time when I play but how most of my matches go SOMEONE is ALWAYS going out of their way to grief other players just because. Post game chats just add salt to the wounds. Is it majority of this game is young teens and just haven’t grown up or people just so filled with spite that they will take it out on anyone? I don’t understand why this game in particular is one of the worst when it comes it’s player base.

    I just dont understand what it is about people like you who always make that kind of empty thread whining about a group made of very different people and pretending that SOMEHOW its unique to that group and not just something you'll find in ANY groups.

  • @Phasmamain said:

    If you’ve played any other online game you’d know how tame DBD’s toxicity is. Sure people are toxic in endgame chat but you can turn it off

    I play a select few online games. Mostly due to his reasons such as this. Just not sure how many people can enjoy a game when most who play it are out to intentionally upset someone else.

  • Yeah DBD has some toxic players and the forums get a bit nasty but it is sooo much better than something like Warzone. Man, I would get a hate msg a game on WZ for anything and everything. It isn't even like normal get good or hacker stuff it's legit hate from those sad sweaty folks.

    Sniper kill - hate mail

    fair gunfight - hate mail

    gulag win - hate mail

    etc.

  • @Phasmamain said:

    If you’ve played any other online game you’d know how tame DBD’s toxicity is. Sure people are toxic in endgame chat but you can turn it off

    I disagree. Dbd's community isn't tame. It's filled with rotten apples.

    I played a lot of Dota 2 and the insults were more focussed on the role that someone was playing. "idiot carry, deinstall pls"

    Dbd's insults are more on a personal level, like get cancer or that I should suicide or insults that have to do with your nationality.

  • @LeleLP said:

    I just don’t understand what it is about this game that just brings out the worst in people. Between surfing the forums and in game experiences I’ve had with survivors/killers I generally do not understand how this game is going as strong as it is. I want to say I enjoy my time when I play but how most of my matches go SOMEONE is ALWAYS going out of their way to grief other players just because. Post game chats just add salt to the wounds. Is it majority of this game is young teens and just haven’t grown up or people just so filled with spite that they will take it out on anyone? I don’t understand why this game in particular is one of the worst when it comes it’s player base.

    Unfortunately it's the nature of online gaming.

    This is why I prefer offline single-player games.

  • @Xzan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2068098#Comment_2068098

    I disagree. Dbd's community isn't tame. It's filled with rotten apples.

    I played a lot of Dota 2 and the insults were more focussed on the role that someone was playing. "idiot carry, deinstall pls"

    Dbd's insults are more on a personal level, like get cancer or that I should suicide or insults that have to do with your nationality.

    Just from my experience playing games like overwatch, COD and Halo make DBD seem very tame to me

  • Fun fact, the most brutal hate mail I ever received was on Xbox 360 Uno. Late-night guilty drunk game for me and my buddy and it was amazing how mad people got when you dropped like 30 cards on them.

  • The assymetrical nature of the game feeds player entitlement. If a survivor never really plays killers they don't know what killers have to do to win. They then abuse killers as much as possible because the killers are breaking this imaginary rulebook, please ignore the fact that they themselves don't give a damn about their opponent. Or they're just bullies, because ironically it's easier to bully people as a survivor.

    (This makes it so that the harder role is also the most abused and so people play it even less.)

    On top of this, few killers never really play survivor and don't know what that entails, especially solo survivor. These killers just assume everyone is a hardcore sweaty SWF team with full meta builds (and unfortunately, they are often right), and so get conditioned into thinking that everyone is out to get them and that they have to pound their chest and roar and bite everything that gets close. They also don't care about their opponent.

    And on top of all that, you've got solo que survivors that don't understand how strong SWF is and how much it changes the game, not just because of coms but because it decreases the likelihood of having potatoes that get you killed. They get mad at everything they see the killer bringing (sometimes rightly so) but often lack perspective to admit that they are playing the weakest role in the game. These players tend to want killers to stick to The Rulebook the most and will be the first to call Trapper OP completely unironically.

    TLDR: People don't know and don't care about what everyone else has to deal with.

  • @AgentTalon said:

    Fun fact, the most brutal hate mail I ever received was on Xbox 360 Uno. Late-night guilty drunk game for me and my buddy and it was amazing how mad people got when you dropped like 30 cards on them.

    Lmao I played that all the time. The good old days

  • @_HN_ said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/239037/this-community

    I just dont understand what it is about people like you who always make that kind of empty thread whining about a group made of very different people and pretending that SOMEHOW its unique to that group and not just something you'll find in ANY groups.

    And a toxic player had been found.

  • @AgentTalon said:

    Fun fact, the most brutal hate mail I ever received was on Xbox 360 Uno. Late-night guilty drunk game for me and my buddy and it was amazing how mad people got when you dropped like 30 cards on them.

    lmao yeah Uno can get pretty brutal. But that’s more of a game I could laugh about if someone managed to pull something like that off is just be more impressed than anything.

  • Sure. Sadly you just forfeited all your credibility by making sure thread in the first place so... yeah.

    But hey, keep branding everyone toxic, I'm sure this will go well for you.

  • As someone who has watched COD matches, played Fortnite and knows about 2B2T, this game's community is tame compared to some of the crap those 3 pull

  • @Xzan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2068098#Comment_2068098

    I disagree. Dbd's community isn't tame. It's filled with rotten apples.

    I played a lot of Dota 2 and the insults were more focussed on the role that someone was playing. "idiot carry, deinstall pls"

    Dbd's insults are more on a personal level, like get cancer or that I should suicide or insults that have to do with your nationality.

    Yea, this. Most online games I've played if there's insults it's usually game related (You suck at aiming, Why didn't you kill this person, etc). DbD is a whole different kind of hateful and it's insane. And that's one of the biggest differences right there; Most games are frustration insults, this game is just spiteful hate

  • @Phasmamain said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2068119#Comment_2068119

    Just from my experience playing games like overwatch, COD and Halo make DBD seem very tame to me

    As much as some people might not want to hear it, there is a lot worse toxicity in other games.

    Like if you ignore post-chat for a second, what's really toxic in-game? Being t-bagged and blinded or something?

  • @Seraphor said:

    "Frustration opens us to feelings of despair and isolation, creating a toxic environment."

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IG7tbo-ouIU

    "What did you just say?"

  • @FireHazard said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2068128#Comment_2068128

    As much as some people might not want to hear it, there is a lot worse toxicity in other games.

    Like if you ignore post-chat for a second, what's really toxic in-game? Being t-bagged and blinded or something?

    Exactly.

    While I don’t play it myself one of my friends plays SMITE and that makes this game look like the friendliest place in earth

  • @Phasmamain said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2068227#Comment_2068227

    Exactly.

    While I don’t play it myself one of my friends plays SMITE and that makes this game look like the friendliest place in earth

    I guess when you think about it, a lot of players seem to ONLY just play DBD for the most part. So naturally it makes sense where this comes from since they primarily play this game.

    In some cases this could also just be because they've never seen... other examples.

  • @_HN_ said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2068178#Comment_2068178

    Sure. Sadly you just forfeited all your credibility by making sure thread in the first place so... yeah.

    But hey, keep branding everyone toxic, I'm sure this will go well for you.

    most people in this game are that’s the sad truth. And from your first response going out of your way to be rude when it wasn’t completely unnecessary yes I would label you as such. You’ve given me no other reason otherwise not to.

  • @MadLordJack said:

    The assymetrical nature of the game feeds player entitlement. If a survivor never really plays killers they don't know what killers have to do to win. They then abuse killers as much as possible because the killers are breaking this imaginary rulebook, please ignore the fact that they themselves don't give a damn about their opponent. Or they're just bullies, because ironically it's easier to bully people as a survivor.

    (This makes it so that the harder role is also the most abused and so people play it even less.)

    On top of this, few killers never really play survivor and don't know what that entails, especially solo survivor. These killers just assume everyone is a hardcore sweaty SWF team with full meta builds (and unfortunately, they are often right), and so get conditioned into thinking that everyone is out to get them and that they have to pound their chest and roar and bite everything that gets close. They also don't care about their opponent.

    And on top of all that, you've got solo que survivors that don't understand how strong SWF is and how much it changes the game, not just because of coms but because it decreases the likelihood of having potatoes that get you killed. They get mad at everything they see the killer bringing (sometimes rightly so) but often lack perspective to admit that they are playing the weakest role in the game. These players tend to want killers to stick to The Rulebook the most and will be the first to call Trapper OP completely unironically.

    TLDR: People don't know and don't care about what everyone else has to deal with.

    Not to mention how many fogwhisperers AND dev and managers are pushing the notion

    'if you don't get 4ks in before the third gen pops/if you don't have all gens done before the 3rd hook you're a lousy player and should uninstall the game'

    how often the idea is 'the game is only fun if you completely devastate and mock your opponents'

    Look around how many here are insisting that tunneling, slugging and camping are not only legit tactics but 'necessary'. They aren't. They are bad choices someone makes because they can't stand the idea of not curbstomping their opponents.

    Look how many likewise are claiming stealth is no legit counterplay and how 'only chases are fun', because, again, looping and juking is meant to mock the opponent.

    Just because there are worse communities around doesn't mean this one doesn't have a serious problem.

  • @FireHazard said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2068128#Comment_2068128

    As much as some people might not want to hear it, there is a lot worse toxicity in other games.

    Like if you ignore post-chat for a second, what's really toxic in-game? Being t-bagged and blinded or something?

    While blinding I wouldn’t say although some way disagree and tbagging and survivors using OoO for example yes. It’s more or less the actual visual in game isn’t so much as toxic as is the intent behind people doing certain actions in game that people consider toxic. They know it’s to bait a reaction or to frustrate the other player.

  • @LeleLP said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2068227#Comment_2068227

    While blinding I wouldn’t say although some way disagree and tbagging and survivors using OoO for example yes. It’s more or less the actual visual in game isn’t so much as toxic as is the intent behind people doing certain actions in game that people consider toxic. They know it’s to bait a reaction or to frustrate the other player.

    That's fair, but I'd argue it's realistically nothing compared to... other examples.

    Like of course being chased by a OoO user is annoying and naturally you down them immediately because they already pose an issue in-game, especially if they're insane, but if we again ignore the post-chat it really doesn't mean much. To most, this is just a minor inconvenience that eventually ends and moves on.

    Now if you faced a OoO user every game with a SWFs, then that'd make more sense. But realistically it's more like comparing a mosquito bite to a shark bite. But I can already assume you don't disagree that there are worse examples to this.

  • @LeleLP said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2068218#Comment_2068218

    most people in this game are that’s the sad truth. And from your first response going out of your way to be rude when it wasn’t completely unnecessary yes I would label you as such. You’ve given me no other reason otherwise not to.

    Dude, dont try to play the victim now after you started branding people as "toxic" and made whiny threads okay?

  • @_HN_ said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2068258#Comment_2068258

    Dude, dont try to play the victim now after you started branding people as "toxic" and made whiny threads okay?

    Again I labeled you toxic with good reasoning. You have given me no reason not to from your replies. Good day.

  • @LeleLP said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2068289#Comment_2068289

    Again I labeled you toxic with good reasoning. You have given me no reason not to from your replies. Good day.

    "Good day" the way out of people that know they stand on shaky ground.

  • @_HN_ said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2068303#Comment_2068303

    "Good day" the way out of people that know they stand on shaky ground.

    that’s a good assumption. No you’re wrong. But I know you’re not capable of giving me a valid reason for not calling you toxic. You’ve only further given me reason to stand by it. But I’ll be here for when you want to explain as to why you aren’t toxic. If you give me a an actual reason rather than just saying “dude stop whining” I’d be more than happy to take it back.

  • @LeleLP said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2068332#Comment_2068332

    that’s a good assumption. No you’re wrong. But I know you’re not capable of giving me a valid reason for not calling you toxic. You’ve only further given me reason to stand by it. But I’ll be here for when you want to explain as to why you aren’t toxic. If you give me a an actual reason rather than just saying “dude stop whining” I’d be more than happy to take it back.

    My dude, here' the thing : I don't NEED to give you any "reasons" to call me whatever you want.

    The world doesn't revolve around you and I frankly don't care about you opinion (shocking I know, people may not care about you in the real world!)

    YOU made a bad and very generic post, YOU then proceed to double down on it by calling people that called you out for it as "toxic" and YOU are now spaming me of reply because you REALLY want that last word.

    This is just sad.