Let's talk about 'Git Gud'
Disclaimer: I'm baked like an Outback Steakhouse Potato
Passive observer of this forum for months. So much complaining, both sides, all the sides. Biggest offenders being either unfair mechanics that slant to one portion of the community or abusive tactics that both sides accuse each other of employing. The most common response? Maybe git gud.
Or one of it's 15 million variations.
Story time:
I'm bad, I know that I'm bad. I'm rank 1 and I'm absolutely dogshit at this game.
I've only played for three months and all the footage I watched shows subtle skills I'm eons away from doing effectively. Such a small portion of this community actually employs those tactics and techniques effectively. But more importantly...
Consistently.
Like identifying and tracking the opposition's perks, making use of OoO, identifying all necessary information and feeding the opposite team misinformation. J-flicks for Blight and Survivors running coordinated flashlight burns that force the killer to really learn how to zone and hook.
These things are not as common as any of you make them out to be. I've played enough games at Rank 1 to comfortably say that. Yes, they exist. No, you're not getting a prostate exam from Nurses and Spirits every game. And no, they're not all god tier killers abusing slugging to put survivors in a 24/7 circle jerk of butt touching.
Sometimes they're just having a better day than you.
So for all of us on the weaker side of that disparity, there are the strategies that make everyone cry foul.
Picture me. Happy Deathslinger. First game of the day. Uh oh, several P3 players, armed to the teeth with items (Sorry plebs, as much as you pretend it's true, 4 man Blendette teams ARE rare and never a good example) - big map. I don't have my preferred add-ons at the moment.
I might have to be a little sweaty.
Catch their only blendette early, hook her early. Immediately move to find next survivor.
I hear the unhook sound, super early! Do I turn around?
Of goddamn course I do. Two known targets vs an entire map to find the other two. Here's the problem, the unhooker was clearly more skilled than the Blendette. The unhook was arguably early, but regardless they had perfect LOS and I never saw them even though I doubled back immediately. Meanwhile I see the Blendette move to the same portion of the map already de-palleted by our last rundown.
So do I let the Blendette go?
HELL NO. I tunnel her so hard that Elon Musk wants to hire me for his Boring Project. I eat BT with glee. I'm so ready for the DS I'm not even checking her portrait for obsession, I'm positioning my ass for maximum FOV of the map so I don't lose her when she kicks me in the nads. I employ every dirty trick I know, which to be fair, is limited still. Cut off her map, showed her a moonwalking stain at a crucial L structure, and then redeemer'd her face off through a window the moment I knew she was committing to cutting a corner.
I was probably lucky. I rarely get that quick second hook unless I really found the sickest animal in the herd.
At her second hook, somehow, two gens are already done, I've lost my Hex Ruin god knows when, and the only pressure I've created is one at risk Blendette who is about to go fully SUBMERSED. Did they have a key in lobby? Maybe, I can't be certain because they could have switched and I didn't watch the lobby through the end.
So. When the second early unhook comes and I'm only 30 meters away, what do you think I would do?
And that's my point. I look like a tunneling monster but the reality is I took all the information I had and I played for the win. I have fun by winning. Don't knock me for it. I do the same nonsense as a survivor. I'll pre-drop every goddamn pallet in the tri-state area on you. I'm not paying for the therapy you'll need for the PTSD of chasing me through 22 pallets on Gideon while the gens disappear in front of your eyes. And yes, since I didn't get objective points I'll be flashlight burning you all the way up to the escape because I'm still trying to get every last bloodpoint humanly possible since I started recently and my roster is woefully weak on perks.
Because I'm on an adventure to git gud. And I'll be damned if I let my opposition micromanage the way I have fun.
AND MY PYRAMID HEAD NEEDS DISCORD BOYS.
So yeah. Perspective. Toxic behavior is only toxic because it bothers you. And there is always a way past those behaviors. Simply 'git gud'.
Comments
I read the title, first paragraph then skipped to the last and still have no ######### clue what this is about. I'll wait for the movie.
This post is like a novella and actually a really interesting read about how rank 1 killers play if they have less than 1k hours. Like, it's been so long since I hit that mark and the game was in such a different state then than now that it's REALLY interesting on how newer players play compared to me.
But yeah, your strategy was like reading the first an last chapter of Skulduggery Pleasant and expecting to understand Abyssina's motives when they don't show up until Book 12
Lol. What a ride of a post that was
I did the same thing. I read "GIT GUD" then "baked Potato" and then I scrolled down and read "git gud".
I think they already made the movie of this thread:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VDvgL58h_Y&list=PL3E529A735D626B46I totally expect some trolls to give this post a hard time and that's all fine and well. But if they're the same people who go to Tunneling or DS threads to ######### and moan and somehow still missed the point of this thread, well, then I just feel bad for those players :)