When I play survivor I miss old Undying

I was always the one. To win the game cleanse the combo with my Detectives Hunch. It felt meaningful impactful. But nowadays nothing. When I get all the bones look no Noed. I've seen new Undying with Ruin or Devour 5 times. All other times an adept or new Blight. And all other Hexes near non existent. I miss those days of my bone cleansing ways feeling more impactful.

Comments

  • I miss the old ruin it put the skill back into skill checks. I also felt like I could rely more on my teammates at red ranks. Now I'm lucky if they even attempt to touch a gen or not go down instantly.

  • @SeannyD115 said:

    I miss the old ruin it put the skill back into skill checks. I also felt like I could rely more on my teammates at red ranks. Now I'm lucky if they even attempt to touch a gen or not go down instantly.

    Same. It feels like since the ruin rework, the amount of newb survivors in red ranks went up. I see rank 5 survivors who drop pallets prematurely. Makes me ask "how did you make it this far?"

  • @SeannyD115 said:

    I miss the old ruin it put the skill back into skill checks. I also felt like I could rely more on my teammates at red ranks. Now I'm lucky if they even attempt to touch a gen or not go down instantly.

    I liked old ruin, but I don’t think it would fit in the current game. Killers adapted when old ruin was nerfed and started slugging a lot more. It would be near impossible for survivors in pug groups to accomplish anything with old ruin in the current meta of slug/gen rush

  • @EvilJoshy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2054841#Comment_2054841

    Same. It feels like since the ruin rework, the amount of newb survivors in red ranks went up. I see rank 5 survivors who drop pallets prematurely. Makes me ask "how did you make it this far?"

    I think the new rank reset was the main thing.

    It's so damn easy to get and stay in red ranks now

  • I want old Ruin back. Didn't punish people who could hit great skill checks and if you could, it didn't affect you. Now you just have to scare someone off of a gen to get great regression for little effort. I just don't understand why they were that worried about new players.

  • @AVoiceOfReason said:

    I want old Ruin back. Didn't punish people who could hit great skill checks and if you could, it didn't affect you. Now you just have to scare someone off of a gen to get great regression for little effort. I just don't understand why they were that worried about new players.

    So this is likely tinfoil hat territory, but I believe that the OG ruin nerf was still at the time when bhvr didn’t own DBD. Increasing player count (survivors to be exact) would have been a priority, even if it diluted skill, to gain funds.


    im not saying anything is wrong with it, just a thought

  • @AVoiceOfReason said:

    I want old Ruin back. Didn't punish people who could hit great skill checks and if you could, it didn't affect you. Now you just have to scare someone off of a gen to get great regression for little effort. I just don't understand why they were that worried about new players.

    New players are the life blood of the game. Long time players leave because the devs refuse to freshen up the game play and provide more varied content.

  • @Huge_Bush said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2054899#Comment_2054899

    New players are the life blood of the game. Long time players leave because the devs refuse to freshen up the game play and provide more varied content.

    The problem with that is, scaring a new player away from a gen is much easier and the consequences for them much worse. Old Ruin taught them to hit Greats as best as they could. This new Ruin just feeds most killers free kills because they don't have to do much but chase someone off of a gen. You take away Ruin and I bet the kill rate drops dramatically at high rank.

  • @AVoiceOfReason said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2054920#Comment_2054920

    The problem with that is, scaring a new player away from a gen is much easier and the consequences for them much worse. Old Ruin taught them to hit Greats as best as they could. This new Ruin just feeds most killers free kills because they don't have to do much but chase someone off of a gen. You take away Ruin and I bet the kill rate drops dramatically at high rank.

    Just to understand this fully..... old ruin rewarded the killer pressuring multiple gens absolutely nothing, new ruin rewards exactly that (just pressure gens 4head. Sound familiar), yet it’s somehow a free kill? Perhaps learning to loop would be a better choice. Really what you are saying here is that you want exactly zero consequences for lasting 20 seconds in a chase, or winding up in a pug with 4 survivors on the floor.


    I liked old ruin as I thought it allowed early game “slow down”, but trying to equate current ruin with free kills is taking all the onus off of survivors skill at looping, and instead being lazy and saying “feeds most killers free kills”. As someone stated earlier, the current rank reset (combined with the horrific matchmaking) is largely to blame

  • @AVoiceOfReason said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2054920#Comment_2054920

    The problem with that is, scaring a new player away from a gen is much easier and the consequences for them much worse. Old Ruin taught them to hit Greats as best as they could. This new Ruin just feeds most killers free kills because they don't have to do much but chase someone off of a gen. You take away Ruin and I bet the kill rate drops dramatically at high rank.

    I agree. I never had any complaints about old ruin. I loved the challenge of hunting for the totem and even if you miss a great skill check, you can still progress the gen by letting go and then resuming repairs.

    The problem with this game is how the devs balance it. Everything is done with perks. They nerfed old ruin, realized the new ruin was too weak for most of the killer roster, gens went by too fast, and had to come up with a solution. Their solution was Undying. That was miserable because Freddy, Billy, Spirit and Oni just gained so much from it paired with the new Ruin, making solo hell. It was great on killers like Trapper, Hag, Wraith, Clown, Ghostface, Meyers and any other low mobility killer, but most killers look at them as nonviable since they all suffer against swf.

    They need to start changing things in the core game and stop relying on fixing things with perks. They also need to make sure that it is harder for bad players to rank up. I doubt they will tho.

  • @OBX said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2054941#Comment_2054941

    Just to understand this fully..... old ruin rewarded the killer pressuring multiple gens absolutely nothing, new ruin rewards exactly that (just pressure gens 4head. Sound familiar), yet it’s somehow a free kill? Perhaps learning to loop would be a better choice. Really what you are saying here is that you want exactly zero consequences for lasting 20 seconds in a chase, or winding up in a pug with 4 survivors on the floor.

    I liked old ruin as I thought it allowed early game “slow down”, but trying to equate current ruin with free kills is taking all the onus off of survivors skill at looping, and instead being lazy and saying “feeds most killers free kills”. As someone stated earlier, the current rank reset (combined with the horrific matchmaking) is largely to blame

    I'm talking from experience as a Killer. I can use most killers and if my Ruin stays up, I 4k. I don't got to do much. Just chase the guy away and chase another person on the way there. That's usually enough to regress a gen fully and what did I do? I just didn't commit. That teaches a new killer nothing but to depend on a perk. Old Ruin was meant to go against survivors. Not babysit them. If you think I'm coming with this opinion as a Survivor, you mistake me heavily. I play both sides and have a ton of videos of my Rank 1 gameplay as a Killer who plays all killers. I also play a good amount of survivor. Old Ruin taught survivors how to become better, not worse. Getting hit off of a gen and seeing your progress disappear all the way in less than 30 seconds from almost 100% is trash just because a killer came up to you? Why use POP? It's an inferior perk. You're forced to look for Ruin if you want a fair chance at Rank 1. I liked the old Ruin and I was heavily against the change of it.

  • @OBX said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2054941#Comment_2054941

    Just to understand this fully..... old ruin rewarded the killer pressuring multiple gens absolutely nothing, new ruin rewards exactly that (just pressure gens 4head. Sound familiar), yet it’s somehow a free kill? Perhaps learning to loop would be a better choice. Really what you are saying here is that you want exactly zero consequences for lasting 20 seconds in a chase, or winding up in a pug with 4 survivors on the floor.

    I liked old ruin as I thought it allowed early game “slow down”, but trying to equate current ruin with free kills is taking all the onus off of survivors skill at looping, and instead being lazy and saying “feeds most killers free kills”. As someone stated earlier, the current rank reset (combined with the horrific matchmaking) is largely to blame

    I'm talking from experience as a Killer. I can use most killers and if my Ruin stays up, I 4k. I don't got to do much. Just chase the guy away and chase another person on the way there. That's usually enough to regress a gen fully and what did I do? I just didn't commit. That teaches a new killer nothing but to depend on a perk. Old Ruin was meant to go against survivors. Not babysit them. If you think I'm coming with this opinion as a Survivor, you mistake me heavily. I play both sides and have a ton of videos of my Rank 1 gameplay as a Killer who plays all killers. I also play a good amount of survivor. Old Ruin taught survivors how to become better, not worse. Getting hit off of a gen and seeing your progress disappear all the way in less than 30 seconds from almost 100% is trash just because a killer came up to you? Why use POP? It's an inferior perk. You're forced to look for Ruin if you want a fair chance at Rank 1. I liked the old Ruin and I was heavily against the change of it.

  • Old ruin was just a badly designed perk. It was just a pub stomper perk.

    Old undying was nice because it actually gave reason to do dull bones other than inner strength. It was busted and annoying as hell, but it finally gave dulls value.

  • @AVoiceOfReason said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2054965#Comment_2054965

    I'm talking from experience as a Killer. I can use most killers and if my Ruin stays up, I 4k. I don't got to do much. Just chase the guy away and chase another person on the way there. That's usually enough to regress a gen fully and what did I do? I just didn't commit. That teaches a new killer nothing but to depend on a perk. Old Ruin was meant to go against survivors. Not babysit them. If you think I'm coming with this opinion as a Survivor, you mistake me heavily. I play both sides and have a ton of videos of my Rank 1 gameplay as a Killer who plays all killers. I also play a good amount of survivor. Old Ruin taught survivors how to become better, not worse. Getting hit off of a gen and seeing your progress disappear all the way in less than 30 seconds from almost 100% is trash just because a killer came up to you? Why use POP? It's an inferior perk. You're forced to look for Ruin if you want a fair chance at Rank 1. I liked the old Ruin and I was heavily against the change of it.

    Survivor main, killer main, equal main, makes no difference to me. I simply went off of what was written. I addressed what you said nearly point for point. You addressed nothing I said.

  • @Huge_Bush said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2054941#Comment_2054941

    I agree. I never had any complaints about old ruin. I loved the challenge of hunting for the totem and even if you miss a great skill check, you can still progress the gen by letting go and then resuming repairs.

    The problem with this game is how the devs balance it. Everything is done with perks. They nerfed old ruin, realized the new ruin was too weak for most of the killer roster, gens went by too fast, and had to come up with a solution. Their solution was Undying. That was miserable because Freddy, Billy, Spirit and Oni just gained so much from it paired with the new Ruin, making solo hell. It was great on killers like Trapper, Hag, Wraith, Clown, Ghostface, Meyers and any other low mobility killer, but most killers look at them as nonviable since they all suffer against swf.

    They need to start changing things in the core game and stop relying on fixing things with perks. They also need to make sure that it is harder for bad players to rank up. I doubt they will tho.

    I agree. It was a band-aid fix for a larger problem. Map size, pallet amount, hook amount and other factors should have been looked at to fix some of the issues but instead, we got a more annoying Ruin that rewards you for staring at a survivor and if its not regressing, you know someone is on it. It has multiple problems. I rather have old Ruin back but make the punishment for doing a good skill check better to compensate. This new Ruin is too easy to get a reward when you're facing a Spirit, Nurse, Billy, Ghost Face, Pig and a ton of others who can just stare at you, sneak up on you and it creates a bigger problem. Why do gens if you know someone can make you go away if you approach then lose ALL of your progress while you wait for the killer to walk away? It's really annoying.

  • @AVoiceOfReason said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2054967#Comment_2054967

    I agree. It was a band-aid fix for a larger problem. Map size, pallet amount, hook amount and other factors should have been looked at to fix some of the issues but instead, we got a more annoying Ruin that rewards you for staring at a survivor and if its not regressing, you know someone is on it. It has multiple problems. I rather have old Ruin back but make the punishment for doing a good skill check better to compensate. This new Ruin is too easy to get a reward when you're facing a Spirit, Nurse, Billy, Ghost Face, Pig and a ton of others who can just stare at you, sneak up on you and it creates a bigger problem. Why do gens if you know someone can make you go away if you approach then lose ALL of your progress while you wait for the killer to walk away? It's really annoying.

    Ahhhhh thanks for this post. It’s EXACTLY what I said. New ruin is not the issue, excusing poor looping is. No matter how you try to convolute it, the killer can only chase one survivor at a time. The other 3 are free to progress gens. If survivors as a whole can only last 15-20 seconds in a chase, whose fault is that exactly. It’s not ruin, it’s not undying, it’s not DH, it’s not ds, it’s that particular survivors skill.

  • @OBX said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2055038#Comment_2055038

    Survivor main, killer main, equal main, makes no difference to me. I simply went off of what was written. I addressed what you said nearly point for point. You addressed nothing I said.

    It doesn't take skill when all you have to do is walk towards someone to see them run off then smack another off of a gen on the way through to get 2 gens regressing for free. They lose all the progress of their gens because what? You had a perk and you were in the area? Ruin punished Survivors for not being good at their OBJECTIVE. New Ruin rewards you for just staring at people. The longer a survivor loops you, the more reward YOU get. What is the reward they get? Their hard work being regressed in 30 seconds from 99% to 0% because they were not in a SWFs and they didn't immediately search for Ruin. That's my issue with new Ruin. If you know its Ruin, you're always better off looking for it. Staying on a gen and getting it close to 90% and then the killer just walking up to you, forcing you off or take a hit/down. You go loop for 20-30 seconds and come back to 0% on your gen. Yep, he/she sure worked for that progress regression by just participating in a chase. New Ruin is just a bad replacement. There you go. That's my reasoning.

  • I don't miss the days when Undying was a free win with no counterplay. When there was little point in cleansing because you were almost always going to waste too much time for it to even matter in the end.

  • @AVoiceOfReason said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2055061#Comment_2055061

    It doesn't take skill when all you have to do is walk towards someone to see them run off then smack another off of a gen on the way through to get 2 gens regressing for free. They lose all the progress of their gens because what? You had a perk and you were in the area? Ruin punished Survivors for not being good at their OBJECTIVE. New Ruin rewards you for just staring at people. The longer a survivor loops you, the more reward YOU get. What is the reward they get? Their hard work being regressed in 30 seconds from 99% to 0% because they were not in a SWFs and they didn't immediately search for Ruin. That's my issue with new Ruin. If you know its Ruin, you're always better off looking for it. Staying on a gen and getting it close to 90% and then the killer just walking up to you, forcing you off or take a hit/down. You go loop for 20-30 seconds and come back to 0% on your gen. Yep, he/she sure worked for that progress regression by just participating in a chase. New Ruin is just a bad replacement. There you go. That's my reasoning.

    In my haste I forgot to point this out.... it takes 320 seconds to fully regress a gen from 99.99999 to 0 with tier 3 ruin. Not 30 seconds. Huge difference. Facts matter

  • @OBX said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2055081#Comment_2055081

    In my haste I forgot to point this out.... it takes 320 seconds to fully regress a gen from 99.99999 to 0 with tier 3 ruin. Not 30 seconds. Huge difference. Facts matter

    Doesn't seem like it's that long when I'm playing Survivor and I loop a killer with 90% and come back to it be 0% just because randoms like to twiddle their thumbs. Maybe a Placebo effect since I'm use to being screwed over.

  • @AVoiceOfReason said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2055098#Comment_2055098

    Doesn't seem like it's that long when I'm playing Survivor and I loop a killer with 90% and come back to it be 0% just because randoms like to twiddle their thumbs. Maybe a Placebo effect since I'm use to being screwed over.

    The devs word it awkwardly to say the least. It’s says 200% for ruin and that simply means it turns it from .25 charge/second to .50 charge/second. It’s highly misleading

  • @AVoiceOfReason said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2055061#Comment_2055061

    It doesn't take skill when all you have to do is walk towards someone to see them run off then smack another off of a gen on the way through to get 2 gens regressing for free. They lose all the progress of their gens because what? You had a perk and you were in the area? Ruin punished Survivors for not being good at their OBJECTIVE. New Ruin rewards you for just staring at people. The longer a survivor loops you, the more reward YOU get. What is the reward they get? Their hard work being regressed in 30 seconds from 99% to 0% because they were not in a SWFs and they didn't immediately search for Ruin. That's my issue with new Ruin. If you know its Ruin, you're always better off looking for it. Staying on a gen and getting it close to 90% and then the killer just walking up to you, forcing you off or take a hit/down. You go loop for 20-30 seconds and come back to 0% on your gen. Yep, he/she sure worked for that progress regression by just participating in a chase. New Ruin is just a bad replacement. There you go. That's my reasoning.

    Either way, I hope the devs continue to tinker with things and try them out either in ptb or trial runs in the game. Was a fun debate.

  • @OBX said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2055105#Comment_2055105

    The devs word it awkwardly to say the least. It’s says 200% for ruin and that simply means it turns it from .25 charge/second to .50 charge/second. It’s highly misleading

    @OBX said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2055081#Comment_2055081

    Either way, I hope the devs continue to tinker with things and try them out either in ptb or trial runs in the game. Was a fun debate.

    I appreciate you also. Thank you. I also hope they try new things out. A lot of stuff needs some work but hopefully they keep trying to fix what they've broken over the years. Still one helluva game.

  • I miss Old Ruin, good old days when skill checks actually demanded skill. Why did the devs change Ruin is beyond me, always was and probably always will be.

    As for Undying, I wouldn't mind if it was reverted back to its original version.

  • @OBX said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2055081#Comment_2055081

    In my haste I forgot to point this out.... it takes 320 seconds to fully regress a gen from 99.99999 to 0 with tier 3 ruin. Not 30 seconds. Huge difference. Facts matter

    Pretty sure tier 3 Ruin regresses at half a solo survivor's repair speed, not a quarter. So it's actually 160 seconds to regress a 99% gen, not 320. Base regression being 25% and tier 3 doubling to 50%.