SpringTrap in DBD Discussion

Let's get this out of the way first, this is not a post begging the devs to add SpringTrap to the game, this is a discussion seeing why people disagreed and why people agreed with the idea of adding him. I want to make this discussion after the endless amount of posts about it so it doesn't affect the decision of those who choose to reply. Another thing, please don't use the argument of "the fandom is bad or cringe" (as it is separated from the franchise) to explain why you wouldn't want him in the game, but if your argument is that it would attract those people to DBD then that's fine then.

Now to start, personally I'd like him in the game however I could see why many wouldn't want him. Fnaf sent waves through the horror game community and other than the fan-games and maybe Terminator, I can't recall many robotic killers as iconic as they are. I have a feeling that the idea of him coming to DBD became so popular so quickly before dying off was due to the devs breaking their "no non-human killers" rule with Demo. I was personally indifferent until I saw this video on him and thought he'd look amazing to both play and play against as a P3 killer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ydlylGay94&list=WL&index=129&ab_channel=KentMansley

So take to sum it up, would you want him in the game, why or why not?

Tagged: Trusted

Comments

  • @TMCalypso said:

    This is my comment I made in another topic revolving around the same subject. This is what I wrote, word for word.

    "FNAF isn't really meant for kids, they just play it anyway. Same with COD or GTA, it isn't meant for them...but there they are. FNAF is a game about possessed animatronics with the corpses of dead kids in them. Pretty sure a game about a serial killer that kills kids is NOT meant to be played by kids. Still....some of these kids who do play it ARE obnoxious and do harass others. The more mature fans (mostly) do not. I can see why people would not want FNAF in DBD as those specific toxic fans do not deserve it. But what about those that are not toxic? Should they be punished for the actions of a few? IMO, whether you are for or against FNAF being in DBD should not be decided on the hate for certain types of fans. Rather, it should be decided on the story, lore, and gameplay (how it would play in DBD, not the FNAF games gameplay.)

    For the story and lore, the animatronics are possessed by vengeful spirits out to get revenge on the one who killed them. Whether or not this type of killer, in story, would work doesn't matter. The vengeful spirits are kids. The devs made it clear no kid characters would ever be in DBD, period. So that eliminates 98% of the possible choices for a killer. The only killer from the franchise that can actually work and would be acceptable, (isn't a kid, kid ghost, or otherwise) is Springtrap. Springtap...is NOT an animatronic. It is a person inside of spring lock suit, specifically...a serial killer. IMO, FNAF, specifically Springtap, Can fit story wise. The gameplay.....I don't see it. I cannot think of a power that would work for a FNAF killer AND make sense to both games. This is where it falls off for me. The story and lore fitting each other is fine...but what matters most is the gameplay. I just can't think of something that works for both sides. (Maybe something that uses the Madness status effect to induce the phantom jump scares from the 3rd game? Maybe not.) Perhaps the devs could come up with something that does...but until it is ever mentioned...gameplay wise...it is a no from me. Though, I am open to being proven wrong on any and all accounts. Regardless...I too think it would be best to wait quite some time before ever adding it to DBD assuming it ever would be. At minimum a year from now. Possibly 2 and it would be acceptable. All the toxic FNAF fans should have left by then...I think....maybe....

    Again, I'd say no just cause I can't see how it works specifically in terms of gameplay.

    Just my opinion that I put about a minute's worth of time into, lol."

    That was my opinion back in November. Now....I still think the same way...except I am now for a FNAF chapter. One reason, It would bring in more people playing the killer role. Which, I am sorry to say...this game desperately needs. The wait times for survivor are long and it is not because of a problem with matchmaking. Not many want to play killer because it isn't fun, not balanced, too stressful...or whatever reason they might have. Simply not enough people are playing that role. A FNAF killer, Springtrap, would help this as FNAF fans tend to stick to wherever FNAF goes. Meaning, We will have a good portion of those fans playing the killer role consistently.

    I realize there are quite a few who would be against FNAF fans sticking around...cause they are toxic or whatever reason...but I argue that the DBD community is far more toxic and obnoxious than the FNAF community. Take a look at the devs doing ANYTHING. DBD fans will cry about it, endlessly...even after it is fixed/changed. The DBD community is no better...if not worse in some ways. So that particular argument about the community being bad is just a dumb and pointless one, imo.

    Another reason I am for a FNAF chapter, is the lore. I HATE the gameplay of FNAF...but I love the lore. Especially MatPat's Game Theory episodes when he does them. I think the lore fits in with DBD's quite well and would be interested in seeing where the devs would take it. Plus....I'd love to see MatPat try and fit DBD into one of his theories. That'd be entertaining (for me.)

    But...I still have yet to see how a FNAF killer would work in terms of gameplay. I have seen many videos on people suggesting this very thing...but I do not agree with them. some don't make sense for either FNAF, DBD or both. While others just don't look fun to play as or against. So far I still think using the Madness affliction is still the way to go...but I am still not convinced it will work gameplay wise. I am still willing to be proven wrong on any and all accounts, but these are just some of my opinions I didn't put too much thought into.

    In short, I don't care one way or another. I play all killers and survivors. I don't main anyone and jump around from character to character. Including the ones I hate (Blight, Twins, etc.) If a FNAF killer & Survivor is added, good or bad, I will play them too.

    You bring valid points, barely a few people play killer a lot. Springtrap will have people playing a lot more killer and honestly, the Fnaf community, is a bit 'off putting'(Only way of saying it without me getting in trouble lol) than DBD community, but not even as toxic as the DBD community. I would love to see MatPat do a theory video of DBD, someone who cna make actual sense of this games' lore. I found a video that was really well made for a Fnaf chapter in concept I'll leave a link for you. However I will say, it may come this year, if not that's fine, I don't expect it to come this year, I expect RE, or Candyman, but not Fnaf. Anyway hope you have a good one

    Edit: spelling errors

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDqRk3VPtS0

  • Teen.

    Movies and tv are rated pg-13, the equivalent for games is Teen. The same rating as Jedi: Fallen Order, which I would not categorize as a childish game, especially given the themes of PTSD that weave through the story.

  • @MiniPixels said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2031534#Comment_2031534

    Personally I don't think FNAF is genre defining, it got popular and that's about it. Sure it got a few low budget clones here and there but didn't leave an impact on the way most horror games are made. Silent Hill created a new, now common breed of survival horror and Left 4 Dead went on to inspire most co-op shooters that have been made since.

    Yes, I have watched a lot of classic slashers, and a lot of people do fairly criticize them for their cheap jump scares, but the entire movie isn't a jump scare, these films have a lot of redeeming qualities that make them loved by people that don't like jump scares. The same exact thing can be applied to FNAF but at a larger scale. Some people that don't like jump scares will be able to move past it and like the game for it's other redeeming qualities whether that be lore, atmosphere, or character building. But others myself included, may not be able to move past it because they find the games re-use of this scare-tactic as too repetitive, cheap, or boring.

    No, I'm not an elitist. I personally don't like the new IT movies and am pretty on the fence about the original. But that doesn't stop me from recognizing what they do correctly and that if done right could fit amongst the current roster. I was the same way about Silent Hill during it's reveal and was skeptical on whether it's inclusion made any logical sense among the cast. FNAF is simply too far out for me, I've played the original three, I thought the overuse of the jump-scare mechanic made the games incredibly boring and stale, and placing chuck e cheese next to some of the most iconic horror figures ever conceptualized just doesn't sit well with me.

    Whether I like it or not FNAF is horror, it's a very different game and just because I consider it cheap doesn't mean it gets removed from the genre. Like most things, at the end of the day this all boils down to opinion and whether it gets added or not will be determined with time.

    Tbh, I have no idea why mostly slasher become popular too, my Guess is that was a cheap formula and was SO overproducted that ppl just got into it

    FNaF at least got its sucess from the bizarre and youtubers playing it

  • I think FNAF would be a great addition to DBD and I think the best part would be the map!

    Either a creepy run down Pizzeria or maybe even the new Security Breach area. Those would be neat maps!

    Plus bhvr would make a killing on the chapter/ all the skins they could make.

  • @Grandpa_Crack_Pipe said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2033072#Comment_2033072

    It isn't. It, quite genuinely, is not. It's a horror game about fending off animatronics haunted by the souls of either children or an actual #########' serial killer before they murder you by stuffing you into an effective pressurized iron maiden.

    It being popular with children is doubly an effect of it being simple and easy to get into and it being popularized by youtubers with a predominantly young fanbase-- IE, purely a matter of circumstance. The animatronics were made with uncanny valley in mind-- but put out of the context of the game, they're pretty dopey-looking because Chuck-e-Cheese-like animatronics are literally meant for kid appeal.

    Ratings mean nothing, kids can get into anything. I was playing World at War back in 4th grade and happily blowing the limbs off enemy soldiers without a care in the world, is a WW2 game for kids?

    Look, you can find any number of better reasons to not like FNAF. I'll understand. But if you wanna take the wine-tasting critic route of "oh, it's not a horror game, it's for little babies", I invite you to take a trip outside your own ass for a minute and give me the exact pound-for-pound parameters of what you need before you're allowed to be a real horror game.

    This sound something my 8 years old me would talk about in school

    Kids love happy violence,and as I far as I can remeber, FNaF is +10

  • @N0IDEA said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2031717#Comment_2031717

    Tbh, I have no idea why mostly slasher become popular too, my Guess is that was a cheap formula and was SO overproducted that ppl just got into it

    FNaF at least got its sucess from the bizarre and youtubers playing it

    Slasher films have a few things that make them fun for the audience:

    A visually unique and striking villain. There's also some attitude that comes with the villains that you normally don't get from other horror genres. Freddy is VERY confident and almost playful. Jason is a killing machine that is as quiet as he is indestructible. Chucky cusses a lot and sounds like he got kicked in the balls while pissing in a back alley of New Jersey.

    Creative use of violence and gore. Jason in particular was notorious for creative kill scenes. Freddy is no slouch either.

    Cat and mouse chases.

    Most franchises start with a decent enough story that captures the imagination or paints the history of the villain in such a way that it is entertaining, moving, shocking, etc. It's a story that evokes an emotional response and maybe some understanding. While I wouldn't call him a traditional slasher movie villain, Candyman actually has a fantastic story.

    Slasher movies, in general, opened the flood gates for a lot of creativity to get pumped into horror. This stagnated over time due to movie studios wanting to dumb them down to the base mechanics and pump out cheap movies for easy cash (though the genre has been reinvigorated from time to time with new ideas). They also came with a very notorious reputation for being the movies that conservative parents didn't want their kids seeing, which honestly increased their standing with the target audience (teens that wanted to see cool looking kills), whether or not the reputation was deserved. Friday the 13th movies in particular got hit with this, though many will tell you that they don't seem as brutal as outrage media made them out to be.

1 2 3 4 ›