Chapter focusing on LGBTAI+, when?
I thought the new chapter will focus on this but I guess the leak is wrong. Survivor and killers are all Heteros. I just really hope that there is something that focus on the gay community. One major contributor of this game are gays and drag queens streamer. To be honest I wouldn't known this game if not for Elix, whom is a drag queen gamer. Kinda saddened me.
Comments
They're working on it, just wait and don't rush it. We'll probably see it soon in like a tome.
Is this for real? Did they release anything like some sort of statement? thanks!
Its real! If you go waaaay back on their insta, they mentioned about how they wanna incorporate an LGBTQIA+ character and be more diverse within their game. It was posted sometime in June - July.
The devs want to just said they don’t want to rush
I don't recall them EVER using the word "focus".
Does an entire chapter really need to focus on it? people already don't think KPOP belongs in a horror game.
Nobody is saying there can't be an lgbt character but an entire chapter focused on lgbt?
I have read most of the backgrounds (Not the lore stuff from the Rifts though). Which non-licensed characters are confirmed heteros?
As far as I recall, only ones are The Oni is confirmed to be hetero, because he is stated to have had a wife and children, some members of The Legion, and Felix (And Huntress, according to Samnation). Overall, it seems like something very unrelated to surviving an insane and/or psychopathic killer. The reason I bring this up is, given its overall irrelevance due to story being very dissociated from gameplay (This is not an RPG, I do not care about character background a particularly great deal, I read it during long queues), this feels like including such characters just to do so runs the risk of tokenism. How do you make a character so LGBT that it is noticable in backstories that never discuss their love life? Then, how do you do that without voice lines, stereotypes, or tokenism? Saying it just to say it in an unrelated blurb?
Edit:
And if it gives the just a few lines in the backstory, which would unlikely even be a paragraph, why is it so significant?
Who says he isn't gay?
Go wild. Use your imagination. Be your best self.
I can promise you, parts of the internet have already decided he is, and will be displaying that perception. Vividly.
I am actually planning to submit an idea about hate crimes towards to the gay community, I hope I can have time though.
I dont mind there being a gay person and that but not a whole chapter and in law most characters are not said if they are gay or not. Use your imagination. I feel like all this stuff on this game is gonna cause politics, people calling each other homophobic and other stuff.
Why will it cause politics and homophobia? They need to be educated this is why it is important to have an inclusivity. If the devs would have that mentality, that they are afraid of what it'll cost, then it means they are not ready to support. Just because gender wasn't revealed it doesn't mean it can be gay. There are a lot of issues that can be tackled. Let's say a killer who hates gay and who always go to gay dating app to search for a victim until he met a strong survivor. Or a gay person who has been discriminated a lot that it accumulated to anger. Something like that.
It will cause a lot of homophobia going around. Last night with the killer reveal people said the killer was gay and in peoples stream a lot of people being homophobic and it was horrible to see. Imagine seeing that all the time in a game, like if the survivor was LGBTQ+ i guarantee a killer will dislike it and target that survivor. Anyway, thats just my 2 cents, have a nice day.
Nowadays, more and more political forces are trying to take advantage of their "gender orientation" as a weapon in Korea.
Most of them love to highlight society as "they are the weak."
They also love to put pressure on the media/culture.
Political correctness opened up the possibility of great evil. That is, "You can take advantage both socially and politically by weaponizing your weaknesses." In the meantime, the victims who have suffered any kind of damage are left out and forgotten.
I'm scared of how I can imagine in an era of really terrible possibilities.
If people have that mentality, that they are scared that this or that will happen without trying, there will be no improvements. Sometimes you gotta take the risk. Even BHVR admitted it so why can't you and other people who has the same mentality as you?
How is that related to the killer and whether or not he is of the LGBT community? This just sounds like tooting your own horn.
Didn't know about this message. Thanks for showing me. But as I pointed out, very few of the (Non-licensed) characters ever actually mention a lover or relationship of any kind. I even went over some of the Tome lore, and even there, there are few mentions of it. The only times I found explicit statements remain the Oni, the Legion, and Felix, and in all three cases, they directly tie it in to how they ended up there. (The Oni's add ons mention rage involving his child's injury, Felix's desire to inspire his child after finding out he was becoming a father, and the members of the Legion trying to impress each other.)
If it is relevant, it isn't going to be pretty. Most of the lore we get is either why/how they ended up in the realm, or why/how they have the skills they do. If it is why/how someone got murdered, and it is related to being LGBT, there is not a nice history regarding that. They could always bring it up, it is a horror game, but after all of the spoken desire for LGBT representation, I don't think that is how they want it represented. But you are failing to consider the context in which relevant information is given in this game.
Or, it could be related to how they have their perks/abilities, in which case, their sexuality is so defining of a feature for them, that their power revolves around it, which just devolves into tokenism.
This could just be a point of contention, but I personally hate the type of people who use one aspect of who they are as the total definition of who they are. I have many friends within the LGBT community, but personally find the people who flaunt it as their main defining feature as being very flat, uninteresting, and stereotypical. Fortunately, I have met very, very few of these people, but since they are how the community as a whole tends to be portrayed, it would bother me greatly to see a stereotype show up. At the same time, some medias drastically over represent the number of people who are LGBT. (Saw a great joke where they told one of the characters the percent of the population that is homosexual, and she counted the number she knew, and declared that can't possibly be right, because almost 30% of the cast was LGBT)
To be, the optimal LGBT character is one we don't know is LGBT until it is relevant, and given the nature of this game, that is never really relevant.
Yo you keep on mentioning about lovers and stuff. The lore/story doesn't necessarily need to be love story. It can be like a hate crime, like I sad, who hate gays because he got abused by his father that it accumulates to hate and he would kill all gays and stuff. He can be a pretending gay guy who use an app to search for a victim and ofcourse the survivor will be one of his victim. etc.
Or maybe a gay/trans person who's been discriminated all his/her life that it accumulated to hatred and grudge and promise that he will kill as much as he/she could. You know something like that. It doesn;t need to revolve around love stuff.
This is not tokenism coz this can happen and many people would feel related to the story and to the characters. If I say that hey add a gay survivor just for the sake of inclusivity even without a good lore or connection to the killer then that is tokenism. I don;t like that either. I wanna make sure that we can all connect to the story. I am submitting an idea hopefully the devs will be able to see it. I alreyad have story in my mind I just need to think about the perks of both survivor and killer.
First off, to be clear, you didn't submit an idea until the second to last post. Second, I genuinely don't think the Devs will go into the hate crime territory. It just doesn't seem to be their thing. They might, but they seem to avoid it. Same reason you haven't seen any racially based hate crime, even though it is very prevalent, more frightening, and more malicious than many of the reasons people became killers.
Also, I do not understand people who say they need someone of their orientation/race to connect to a story. I connect to stories just fine, despite my sexuality rarely being represented or even acknowledged, and despite my race being nigh impossible to include reasonably. I think it's a trait of people who are common, but just off normal. For people who are way more weird, you learn to connect in other ways.
As for submitting an idea, I think that would be way better. We could see your idea on how to make it relevant, rather than speculating on the failures of previous people who attempted it.
Focus? I hope that never happens.