Dead Hard Buff Idea.
So I know that we probably won't see something like this but it seemed like a good idea.
One of the most frustrating things in Dead Hard is hitting the skill and ending up on the ground exhausted. The problem as I understand it is general latency. The killer connected on your screen, but you hit dead hard perfectly timed with their animation.
What if it was changed to have a latency free method. Where it was closer to a QTE than an activate able skill. You know like how some games have a button if you hit when perfectly timed you 'counter' or block with no damage (Instead of say chip damage.)
The way I see it is the killer swings, the game confirms that it would hit the player, on the players side they would see a big E or an icon, or something that indicates "Dead Hard Time!" and if you hit within the proper timing the server bounces back "Yeah they did it, they don't take damage this time."
It may lead to some occasional janky looking hits, where there's just the slightest delay when dead hard is present and activate-able but I think it would feel a lot less frustrating. You'd be able to blame yourself for failing the input more than blaming lag. Right now I think it's just, "The survivor hit dead hard, did their I-Frames time up identically to when the killer's hit connected on the killers screen?"
I hope I was able to explain the concept well enough. I'm sure someone who's more programmer savvy may be able to phrase what I mean to say better and more concisely.
Thanks for reading this, tell me what you think.
Comments
I feel like that would take away the minimal skill using Dead Hard requires, if the game just straight up tells you when to press the button
This would take away the only counterplay the killer has. If someone is injured and I know they haven't used an exhaustion perk, I try to chase close and slightly turn or look up to bait out dead hard. Or hit them as unpredictably as possible.
Without those measures DH would guarantee a missed swing and in most cases the survivor to automatically make it to another loop/vault/pallet.
Dead Hard does not need a buff of any kind.
Sure, fix the issue of activating it but going down anyway to desync, but do not buff it.
It's already too strong for the amount of (lack thereof) effort and skill it takes to use, in my opinion.
Seeing as how one of the main uses in dead hard while looping is to pre-emptively use it to get to a pallet/window before the killer swings how would this work? Also as it stands a killer can bait dead hard to land a hit, with the change that would go away as it auto activates when they swing.
Buff 🤣
You want to buff Dead Hard? You trying to break the game more than it already is?
Let dead hard be activateable like it normally is, just a single 'E' key with all the latency issues it currently has, then in addition have it activate the QTE style prompt if a hit connects for timing. That way a survivor can either decide to use it on their own terms if they think hitting the next tile is more important than dodging a hit, or to get a second chance at not being dead if they're already completely screwed.
Either way would still exhaust them.
So it would just be a third health state?
I feel like looking at the mechanics of a skill and improving the user experience of its intended functionality can happen at the same time they're balancing the game. One can incidentally be a buff while still improving the way it feels as a player, then they can balance it the other way if need be while maintaining that functional improvement.
For example; totems being less buggy on its spawns (e.g. impossible locations to reach) would be a buff for survivors and a nerf for killers but ruin/undying still needed to be nerfed altogether.
If any, that perk needs a nerf lmao. Those delusional survivor mains.
But I'm a killer main.
Well that's a lie
Doing it this way is not likely considering the latency issue is why the game can't tell whether or not it hit at the moment. Suggesting that it activate a QT event that's slows the animations while it happens wouldn't work either as time would slow for the others playing too... Just doesn't work in online multiplayer games.
They just need to fix the hit validation and latency.
Ok so im chasing an injured survivor, and your injured working on a gen, you let go because we are heading straight for you, and when you are side by side i lunge and could hit either one of you. Do i get to activate both your dead hards?
That's a very good question!
I have no idea.
People just want win without having to put in effort then they like to gloat as though they did anything spectacular.
Less effort as to press m1 for your objective and do occasionally skill checks? Hard times for survivors.
*Re-reads created discussion history*
Well, this seems to check ou-
"Buff DS"
...
Did you see why I said to buff DS? The same reason I think dead hard needs an improvement, usability. Decisive Strikes requires a ton of prerequisites to be activate-able and you may not even get to use it a lot of your games. With the new nerfs to DS it makes it even far more limited in its usability as in you as the player will not see the prompt very often.
With that consideration in mind, with all the stars that have to line up to even see a decisive strike prompt, it makes sense to just let it automatically activate. Imagine running that perk, never seeing it for a lot of games, then the one time you actually do get to use it, you fumbled the skill check. GG get wreckt, you wasted that perk slot for one more game who knows when you'll see it again. It just feels bad.
The buff I suggested was just that instead of offering a chance to whiff it, it just works automatically. As a survivor main it always feels like DS is activated 100% of the time when it's in play anyways, might as well make that true? Just because I main a killer doesn't mean I play the meta game of "What can they nerf on the survivor side."
I always just feel so badly when people get upset here and like to suggest compromises or general improvements so even if people lose their favorite toy they still have something to be happy with.
This thread was about DH though.
Lets remove the already little amount of skill Dead Hard takes to use. Yay.
There is literally no way to justify buffing either DH or DS, or BT for that matter even though you haven't suggested a buff for that.
The reason these perks are complained about is the same as the reason camping and slugging are complained about.
There is so much entertainment, skill requirement, atmosphere, and gameplay lost on both sides that the effectiveness is completely irrelevant for the other side.
There's no element to them that deserves any sort of respect. The skill required is almost a non factor, it's frustrating for the other side to work with, and people still expect to be told that they played well and made the match entertaining for using them.
DS, DH, and BT are so disgusting that you don't even deserve a "GG WP" if you run them.
They are, without a doubt, the survivor equivalent of Freddy, except Freddy still requires you to pay attention to the game to have a chance.
Yeah I think borrowed time is in a pretty good place as it stands, I don't think it needs a buff at all. High risk, high reward, taking someone off the hook in front of a killer has so many ways of going wrong and only one way it can end well. Normally ends in trading lives.