Promises of Console Optimization

Hey all,

I wanted to bring this up as its an issue that has bugged me for a while now. BHVR announced in March of 2019 that they planned to have 60 FPS on minimum spec PC's, the PS4 and Xbox One. While I understand that delays happen and that 2020 was a difficult time for everyone, it feels like nothing has changed.

The game certainly looks prettier on certain maps, but the performance has not improved at all. Certain Killers are still borderline unplayable due to freezing, low FPS and massive stuttering issues.

For example, even if I make the correct read on someone using Dead Hard, I am unable to capitalize on their mistake since my game froze the moment they used their perk.

For the Survivor side, anytime someone gets hit, the game tends to freeze, especially if the Killer uses Sloppy Butcher. This causes Survivors to lose huge amounts of distance and allows the Killer an easier down.

The original quote is found below:

"When we first released Dead by Daylight back in 2016, we targeted 30 FPS on our minimum spec. Up until recently, we optimized the game in bursts; for the console launch and before releasing a new Killer. We are now ready to set a new performance target: Dead by daylight will run at 60 FPS on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and minimum spec PCs."

tl;dr Is BHVR still planning on fulfilling their promise to Xbox One and PS4 users or have these plans been scrapped in favor of prioritizing the Series X and PS5?

Comments

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    probably prioritizing the new gen. and as someone stuck on PS4, I don't blame them. these consoles were ancient at birth.

    There is no reason that the newest CoD should run at 45 FPS and DBD should struggle to get above 25.

  • Yes, but if they make PS4 and Xbox One actually run the game with any level of smoothness, then the chances of them buying DBD again on PS5/Series X decreases. Cash cash money

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1856370#Comment_1856370

    less experienced dev team, overuse of particle effects, and i feel like dbd likely tracks more or has to go through a bunch of hoops to get certain systems functioning correctly. there are certainly things they could stand to optimize, and i'd love if the memory leak was fixed, but i just wouldn't count on it.

    They've been working on this game for 5 years, I know they have it in them to optimize it.

    Heck, even Battlefront II runs smoother and that game looks INCREDIBLE.

  • @Altarf said:

    Yes, but if they make PS4 and Xbox One actually run the game with any level of smoothness, then the chances of them buying DBD again on PS5/Series X decreases. Cash cash money

    I believe Xbox has backcompat so that would only apply to Playstation.

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1856375#Comment_1856375

    They've been working on this game for 5 years, I know they have it in them to optimize it.

    Heck, even Battlefront II runs smoother and that game looks INCREDIBLE.

    I use Battlefront II almost purely as a launcher for DBD on my PS4. Booting up DBD without the fans already working causes it to overheat at the title screen.

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1856367#Comment_1856367

    There is no reason that the newest CoD should run at 45 FPS and DBD should struggle to get above 25.

    There's plenty of reason. It's called Developer Inability.

  • @Altarf said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1856377#Comment_1856377

    I use Battlefront II almost purely as a launcher for DBD on my PS4. Booting up DBD without the fans already working causes it to overheat at the title screen.

    My One S does alright, no jet engine sounds, but it does start heating up after a game or two.

  • I simply do not believe that. If they can redesign Ormond to make it look as good as it does now, they can optimize the game.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1856376#Comment_1856376

    dbd was free with ps plus awhile ago and you can get the ps5 version for free if you have a digital copy so...

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1856377#Comment_1856377

    and battlefront was made on an engine that dice is comfortable working with and designed specifically for that genre. plus it has loading, UI, and vehicle stuttering issues on console.

    that is something I've noticed with a lot of AAA games on PS4/Xbone gen: the UI loading times always takes a hit. especially with Ubisoft games

    I've never had any loading or UI issues, but I have seen the vehicle stuttering.

    But let's get back on topic.

  • @Pulsar said:

    Hey all,

    I wanted to bring this up as its an issue that has bugged me for a while now. BHVR announced in March of 2019 that they planned to have 60 FPS on minimum spec PC's, the PS4 and Xbox One. While I understand that delays happen and that 2020 was a difficult time for everyone, it feels like nothing has changed.

    The game certainly looks prettier on certain maps, but the performance has not improved at all. Certain Killers are still borderline unplayable due to freezing, low FPS and massive stuttering issues.

    For example, even if I make the correct read on someone using Dead Hard, I am unable to capitalize on their mistake since my game froze the moment they used their perk.

    For the Survivor side, anytime someone gets hit, the game tends to freeze, especially if the Killer uses Sloppy Butcher. This causes Survivors to lose huge amounts of distance and allows the Killer an easier down.

    The original quote is found below:

    "When we first released Dead by Daylight back in 2016, we targeted 30 FPS on our minimum spec. Up until recently, we optimized the game in bursts; for the console launch and before releasing a new Killer. We are now ready to set a new performance target: Dead by daylight will run at 60 FPS on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and minimum spec PCs."

    tl;dr Is BHVR still planning on fulfilling their promise to Xbox One and PS4 users or have these plans been scrapped in favor of prioritizing the Series X and PS5?

    I don't even care for the 60 FPS anymore but is it so hard to fix these damn FPS DROPS?!?

    -Someone uses an exhaustion perk?

    FPS drop

    -You get hit with sloppy butcher,noed or freddy?

    FPS drop

    You get bloodlust?

    FPS drop

    etc.


    It's been almost 2 years since they promised us optimization.And what do we get?Nothing

    The only thing they supposedly fixed were the FPS when someone opens a chest.After 2 years.And i'm not even sure if that's really the case

    We have games like Call of Duty or Overwatch where your whole screen gets bombarded with effects at times,but you barely notice any performance issues and then we have Dead by Daylight that gives my PS4 a heart attack whenever it has to load a little status effect.

    I'm sorry but that's just deppressing

  • When PS4 was unplayable for weeks after a patch their first suggestion was that PS4 players update the firmware even though you can't play online games on PS4 without having it up to date. That response showed they lack basic knowledge when it comes to consoles. This post (https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/187573/console-optimization/p1) from last summer has lists of triggers on console for fps drops for both killers and survivors that the most we got is it was passed on to the team. Now that ps5/XboxSeriesX are out and from what I've heard the better system has removed fps drops I don't see them bothering with optimization for ps4/xbox1, they'll just make sure the game still runs on those systems until Sony/Microsoft stop supporting them.

  • I can only only speak to the Xbox One Series X version but the PFS is much improved from the Xbox One X version. Bloodlust, Dead Hard and Sloppy frame drops are gone. It felt unfair to play against PC players on the last gen but I feel on level ground now.

  • @bm33 said:

    When PS4 was unplayable for weeks after a patch their first suggestion was that PS4 players update the firmware even though you can't play online games on PS4 without having it up to date. That response showed they lack basic knowledge when it comes to consoles. This post (https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/187573/console-optimization/p1) from last summer has lists of triggers on console for fps drops for both killers and survivors that the most we got is it was passed on to the team. Now that ps5/XboxSeriesX are out and from what I've heard the better system has removed fps drops I don't see them bothering with optimization for ps4/xbox1, they'll just make sure the game still runs on those systems until Sony/Microsoft stop supporting them.

    At this point they might aswell just ask us if we tried to turn the console off and on again to see if the perfomance is better :]

    But hey,at least we can get optimization for the small prise of 500€ :D

  • They don't care, as long as ppl get new cosmetics nothing will get fixed

  • This devs are a epic fail. They just got lucky w this game being addictive.


    But I wouldn't expect any kind of optimization on PS4/Xbox one.


    I just hope they don't completely abandon it or create more issues.


    More issues are coming, and while they care, they don't care enough to do anything about it.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    100% agreed, OP. If they had just said, "Yes, we know it's a problem, and we will be working hard to fix it" and then gave us regular updates from there, even if the progress was slow, I'd be fine with that. Instead they've promised the moon and substantially raised our expectations, and then delivered absolutely nothing on that promise. That's the part that bothers me the most about this whole situation; like yes, of course I want performance to be better for game health reasons and because their stated minimum/recommended spec could not run this game at a reasonable frame rate, but the thing that ticks me off is them promising to thoroughly solve the problem and then not so much as giving a single measly update in the past two years.

    They've said "oh yeah we're focusing on optimization when we design the new maps", and maybe they are, but frame rates are not improving. If you can make the maps look nicer without worsening the frame rate that's all well and good, but we need improvements, and substantial ones.

    Yep,their awful and non-existent communication about this issue after promising so much is really really infuriating.

  • @Mattie_MayhemOG said:

    I can only only speak to the Xbox One Series X version but the PFS is much improved from the Xbox One X version. Bloodlust, Dead Hard and Sloppy frame drops are gone. It felt unfair to play against PC players on the last gen but I feel on level ground now.

    Must feel great playing without all of the freezes, lol. I'm still trying to get my hands on the Xbox Series X and the PS5. Will probably be months before I can get them. I'm never lucky enough to snag one before they sell out. 😂

    Edit: How many frames do you get? 60?

  • @OniWantsYourMacaroni said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1856565#Comment_1856565

    At this point they might aswell just ask us if we tried to turn the console off and on again to see if the perfomance is better :]

    But hey,at least we can get optimization for the small prise of 500€ :D

    Not devs but others have said to close the game after every couple of matches for better performance. I'm surprised devs haven't repeated that rec. 😂

    Price of $500 and being online at right time when they release a handful of systems. 😂

  • Yeah, it’s pretty silly that they pretty much avoid any question regarding console optimization. I remember being so hype when it was mentioned that it would be getting the proper optimization, when was that, December 2018?

    Seems that the only solution is to upgrade but that can be a while till most of us upgrade to the next gen.

  • @OniWantsYourMacaroni said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/217530/promises-of-console-optimization

    I don't even care for the 60 FPS anymore but is it so hard to fix these damn FPS DROPS?!?

    -Someone uses an exhaustion perk?

    FPS drop

    -You get hit with sloppy butcher,noed or freddy?

    FPS drop

    You get bloodlust?

    FPS drop

    etc.

    It's been almost 2 years since they promised us optimization.And what do we get?Nothing

    The only thing they supposedly fixed were the FPS when someone opens a chest.After 2 years.And i'm not even sure if that's really the case

    We have games like Call of Duty or Overwatch where your whole screen gets bombarded with effects at times,but you barely notice any performance issues and then we have Dead by Daylight that gives my PS4 a heart attack whenever it has to load a little status effect.

    I'm sorry but that's just deppressing

    I'm not even sure why it causes drops in the first place. Is it that stressful?

  • @bm33 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1856587#Comment_1856587

    Not devs but others have said to close the game after every couple of matches for better performance. I'm surprised devs haven't repeated that rec. 😂

    Price of $500 and being online at right time when they release a handful of systems. 😂

    Yes, it's because of a memory leak issue, iirc.

  • Yet they expect you to compete with Survivor/Killers who have up to 120 fps and close to zero performance issues on PC.

  • I came onto the forum for this specific reason. I want to be excited for the graphical updates on maps but man, I hope that work will go into fixing the framerate issues that these graphical updates are causing on consoles. As survivor, it messes with skill checks. As killer, it messes with the timing and direction while swinging your weapon and that's just a small example. I'd love to afford a gaming PC but alas we're all not that lucky. Hopefully some dedication will go into this issue as it's looooooong overdue!!

  • @Kill_Yr_Idol83 said:

    I came onto the forum for this specific reason. I want to be excited for the graphical updates on maps but man, I hope that work will go into fixing the framerate issues that these graphical updates are causing on consoles. As survivor, it messes with skill checks. As killer, it messes with the timing and direction while swinging your weapon and that's just a small example. I'd love to afford a gaming PC but alas we're all not that lucky. Hopefully some dedication will go into this issue as it's looooooong overdue!!

    Those are two great examples!

  • @Speshul_Kitten said:

    Yet they expect you to compete with Survivor/Killers who have up to 120 fps and close to zero performance issues on PC.

    It's not like the game is perfect on PC and that's not what I want to push, but yes, those instances can be very unfair.

  • I've pretty much given up on console optimization or changes. I just want cross progression so I can move my much more progressed console account to PC since that is clearly their focus.

  • @MrPenguin said:

    I've pretty much given up on console optimization or changes. I just want cross progression so I can move my much more progressed console account to PC since that is clearly their focus.

    I will literally never move to PC. I cannot afford it.

    I understand that the Devs are human, and that they need breaks, but they promised this nearly TWO years ago.

    I would merely appreciate an update.

  • @Pulsar said:

    Hey all,

    I wanted to bring this up as its an issue that has bugged me for a while now. BHVR announced in March of 2019 that they planned to have 60 FPS on minimum spec PC's, the PS4 and Xbox One. While I understand that delays happen and that 2020 was a difficult time for everyone, it feels like nothing has changed.

    The game certainly looks prettier on certain maps, but the performance has not improved at all. Certain Killers are still borderline unplayable due to freezing, low FPS and massive stuttering issues.

    For example, even if I make the correct read on someone using Dead Hard, I am unable to capitalize on their mistake since my game froze the moment they used their perk.

    For the Survivor side, anytime someone gets hit, the game tends to freeze, especially if the Killer uses Sloppy Butcher. This causes Survivors to lose huge amounts of distance and allows the Killer an easier down.

    The original quote is found below:

    "When we first released Dead by Daylight back in 2016, we targeted 30 FPS on our minimum spec. Up until recently, we optimized the game in bursts; for the console launch and before releasing a new Killer. We are now ready to set a new performance target: Dead by daylight will run at 60 FPS on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and minimum spec PCs."

    tl;dr Is BHVR still planning on fulfilling their promise to Xbox One and PS4 users or have these plans been scrapped in favor of prioritizing the Series X and PS5?

    Promises

    image.png

    Developpers are humans sure, but still they have made many promises, some older than 2 years and still, haven't seen them :D

    Even optimization on PC was prosmised, the game is terribly optimised and can't run above 100 fps constantly on 2.5k€ PC :), in 1080p.

    still, they have made some good work, sometimes, but it's clearly not enough, especially since the game revenue are huge now.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    100% agreed, OP. If they had just said, "Yes, we know it's a problem, and we will be working hard to fix it" and then gave us regular updates from there, even if the progress was slow, I'd be fine with that. Instead they've promised the moon and substantially raised our expectations, and then delivered absolutely nothing on that promise. That's the part that bothers me the most about this whole situation; like yes, of course I want performance to be better for game health reasons and because their stated minimum/recommended spec could not run this game at a reasonable frame rate, but the thing that ticks me off is them promising to thoroughly solve the problem and then not so much as giving a single measly update in the past two years.

    They've said "oh yeah we're focusing on optimization when we design the new maps", and maybe they are, but frame rates are not improving. If you can make the maps look nicer without worsening the frame rate that's all well and good, but we need improvements, and substantial ones.

    They did give us bugs instead though.