Totems Not Understood as Objectives

I want to start by saying I don't have any problem with NOED as it stands now. However, in listening to the endless screeds and rants (most ill-informed) against it, it has become obvious that most Players don't understand that Totems are also objectives. They simply look at it WRONG. It is also clear that the DEV keep emphasizing this fact with the Perks they produce. With that in mind, I suggest the following tweak to NOED. Not only do I think it would be funny and stay with your original intentions, but it would clearly instruct that Totems are objectives.

PERK: NO ONE ESCAPES DEATH (NOED)

This Perk activates when the last Generator necessary to power the gates is powered. An unlit Totem somewhere on the map lights up. Anyone who has not cleansed at least one Totem by this point is Exposed for the rest of the match. Anyone who has cleansed a Totem is NOT exposed. However, the exit Gates cannot be opened until NOED is found and cleansed. The Entities trademark black tendrils will block the switches until this takes place.

*I suggest this because knowing the Perk exists in this form drives home the notion that Totems are objectives. If you choose to ignore them, you are taking a very large gamble. The punishment for those who have not bothered to cleanse a Totem is far worse than those who do. This rework will still allow for the Survivors to prevent NOED simply by getting all the Totems. It simply rewards those who did this objective with not being Instat-Downed during the hunt for the final Totem.

*Likewise if you want to be nicer, you could just have the Entity block the switches until the final Totem is cleansed and remove the Insta-Down. :) I kind of like the Insta-Down as a punishment to those who do not do their part. I suppose you could also put a timer on it based on level. The switch is blocked for 60 seconds at Level-1, 90 seconds at Level-2, and 120 seconds at Level-3.

Comments

  • If you think about it, the fairest complaints about NOED is that the person who cleanses totem is always the one killed so personally, I like your change.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    They're supposed to be Secondary Objectives though, not Main Objectives.

    They'd still technically be Secondary Objectives given a Killer still needs to slot the Perk, but when used it makes them a Primary Objective. It'd be like making Blood Warden activate as soon as the Exit Gates are opened, rather than once you've hooked a Survivor.

    That's false. The survivor main objective is to survive and help your teammates. Surviving does not equal just generators.

    I don't disagree that generators should be the main priority, but if a hex is getting in the way of surviving then why keep it up? If there's a chance of NOED why are you not looking for totems? It's part of surviving.

  • I see totems more like an optional objective in an RPG. Something that makes the endgame of the quest or game easier. Like recruiting the Boomer or Enclave Remnants for the battle of Hoover Dam in New Vegas.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1850950#Comment_1850950

    I'm not saying that cleansing Totems doesn't help you Survive, I'm saying that they are not necessary for escape. Generators are necessary. (barring The Hatch). Now, they certainly can be oppressive enough to make it so you can't complete generators, but they don't prevent you from escaping the way Generators do.

    I suppose that you can argue that they become Main Objectives when it makes the Killer extremely powerful (such as the case with Devour Hope), but at the very least the Killer has to put in some effort to get that to work. With the proposed NOED, its trigger is literally the game progressing as normal, with no input from the Killer needed. At least the current NOED leaves the gates untouched.

    That's the disconnect though. The moment the Killer selects a Perk that affects your odds of surviving by putting in those Totems, they have become a primary objective. Or, they should be. If you don't care about Ruin because the Killer isn't putting enough pressure on you, then that is on the Killer and you don't have to consider them Primary. However, if the Killer puts in NOED, and the DEV made a conscious choice not to inform you, then you better consider it Primary. So ask yourself why they did it that way? They want you to spend time on them. The more Survivors keep ignoring and choosing to NOT do them, the more Hex Totems of power are going to show up. Eventually the message will come through. My suggestion is to make it PAINFULLY apparent with a slight tweak to the Totem.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1851443#Comment_1851443

    As it is now, if you see a Dull Totem, you don't have to cleanse it. because even if it becomes NOED, from a Team Perspective it's still a Secondary Objective given looping/Exit Gate/recovery/CarryHook times. You can still just choose to escape. NOED only really becomes a Primary Objective for the Survivor that gets hit during end-game. Other Players can simply choose to escape, or risk it and find NOED.

    It's still smart to cleanse them, because you could be that unlucky duck, but it isn't necessary overall. They're a Secondary Objective.

    Your change to NOED is certainly something that would make it a Primary Objective, but unfortunately it would make that one Perk far too overpowered. You'd need to make it a basegame effect. And IMO making it basegame would require far too much rebalancing.

    As far as I'm concerned I think they lucked into a good design with the current Hex Totems.

    And if so, then they have NO RIGHT to complain about NOED. Because THEY are choosing to consider it secondary.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1850950#Comment_1850950

    I'm not saying that cleansing Totems doesn't help you Survive, I'm saying that they are not necessary for escape. Generators are necessary. (barring The Hatch). Now, they certainly can be oppressive enough to make it so you can't complete generators, but they don't prevent you from escaping the way Generators do.

    I suppose that you can argue that they become Main Objectives when it makes the Killer extremely powerful (such as the case with Devour Hope), but at the very least the Killer has to put in some effort to get that to work. With the proposed NOED, its trigger is literally the game progressing as normal, with no input from the Killer needed. At least the current NOED leaves the gates untouched.

    That is also true. Although there are certain signs that should make survivors think more so "NOED is a real possibility" (such as being weak in the sense of keeping up generator pressure) or just not being good at that killer. It is fair to say a killer who has lots of gen pressure or just a really good killer in general doesn't have NOED and gen rushing should be the unwavering priority.

    The problem lies (as some in this thread of said) are survivors who are aware NOED could be possibility and then still choose generators over totems. (If you can't find totems because it's a bad map for totem hunting that's fair, but the strict "it's secondary so it doesn't matter" mentality is false).

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1851682#Comment_1851682

    Yep. No need to force them into considering it to be primary via overbearing design.

    Hey... you got no argument from me. If you go back to my original post you will see that I don't have a problem with it as it is now. I'm just tired of them complaining, clearly not GETTING that NOED is only a problem if they choose to make it a problem. My suggestion removes that as an option and makes it painfully clear that they can choose to deal with it or not.

  • I like the idea, but the blocker for X amount of time would just mean survivors hide for that time or loop the killer for the whole time, it's not punishing enough for survivors, as they can avoid the killer and the perk was worthless.

    Also, this probably won't be implemented because of the dev's insistence on reworking around new players and charts, so if "NOED doesn't win games" or is deemed "too overpowered for a perk that requires no effort on the killer part to activate" it either won't be implemented or just be nerfed to the ground like mettle of man was.

    Good ideas, and we need something to rework NOED, but I'm sad to say this one doesn't cut it in the eyes of BEhaviour.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1851808#Comment_1851808

    Oh, re-reading your initial paragraph, yeah. If you really wanted to be heavy-handed that'd certainly do it (disregarding any other balancing concerns).

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1851759#Comment_1851759

    Oh I'm not saying that you should just ignore the Totems just because NOED isn't absolute, I'm just saying that given that it isn't absolute you can kinda take a gamble on it. It's not going to prevent you full-stop from progressing end-game if you don't address Totems, but it'll certainly make end-game on average safer for you if you do.

    Basically I like Totems as they are now because if you choose to ignore them, you can't really complain if they come back to bite you in the ass.

    Fair.

  • Think those that cleansed totems should be able to open exit gate/escape, those that haven't are exposed and Bloodwarden type blocking of exit gate until they destroy the totem. That would be so frustrating watching teammates escape while you have to find and cleanse a totem you ignored all game. ๐Ÿ˜‚