Are licensed characters canon?

Title. Do you think the licensed killers- Myers, PH, Bubba, etc., etc. are canon? In my opinion, probably not - aside from Ghost Face considering he's an original character, just with a licensed costume.

Comments

  • The devs haven't said anything either way to my knowledge. I believe they are, as they added chains to Silent Hill with some lore hinted with it. Besides, it's no fun to have all these massive horror icons and be like "Nooooooo they're not actually part of the lore it's just a what if."

  • @SCP_FOR_DBD said:

    The devs haven't said anything either way to my knowledge. I believe they are, as they added chains to Silent Hill with some lore hinted with it. Besides, it's no fun to have all these massive horror icons and be like "Nooooooo they're actually part of the lore it's just a what if."

    I can see that. Besides, any world where I can see Michael Myers and Pyramid head walking next to eachother is a good one. What SCP do you want? Personally, I think 049 or 096 would be awesome to see but I can't see a way the mechanics would work.

  • @NomiNomad said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1661888#Comment_1661888

    I can see that. Besides, any world where I can see Michael Myers and Pyramid head walking next to eachother is a good one. What SCP do you want? Personally, I think 049 or 096 would be awesome to see but I can't see a way the mechanics would work.

    Thats a tough question, I'd be happy with pretty much anyone so long as they got it right. If I had to pick just one it'd probably be 106, he seems the easiest to put it. Though my concept would let you play as one but break out AI versions of the others.

  • @SCP_FOR_DBD said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1661924#Comment_1661924

    Thats a tough question, I'd be happy with pretty much anyone so long as they got it right. If I had to pick just one it'd probably be 106, he seems the easiest to put it. Though my concept would let you play as one but break out AI versions of the others.

    106 is another one that would be cool, but balance and mechanics wise I'm unsure of how they would work. If they put in his ability to walk through walls he would have to be very, very slow. Though I would love more killers that send Survs to other dimensions.

  • @NomiNomad said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1661936#Comment_1661936

    106 is another one that would be cool, but balance and mechanics wise I'm unsure of how they would work. If they put in his ability to walk through walls he would have to be very, very slow. Though I would love more killers that send Survs to other dimensions.

    Yeah it would be quite different from everything we currently have. But I suppose thats what makes it special.

  • @SCP_FOR_DBD said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1661970#Comment_1661970

    Yeah it would be quite different from everything we currently have. But I suppose thats what makes it special.

    True enough. As much as I'd like to see SCP, I doubt it'll ever happen though. Since they're in that internet creepypasta kinda section of the internet, and I don't see the Dev's adding any internet characters.

  • Not canon. The devs can't do anything with them when it come to story. They are here for gameplay because they are well known.

  • I think I've seen Peanits mention something about how Pyramid Head works in the canon (or maybe it was Nancy and Steve), but as of right now, it's more up to you.

    I consider them to be canon because of the established lore surrounding them. Others don't because they are licensed, and licensed characters in other media are rarely ever canon.

  • @NomiNomad said:

    Title. Do you think the licensed killers- Myers, PH, Bubba, etc., etc. are canon? In my opinion, probably not - aside from Ghost Face considering he's an original character, just with a licensed costume.

    I mean, it's a multiverse so no reason why they can't be canon.

  • I believe they are canon, just set in a parallel universe to the Movies/Video Games in which instead of continuing their own individual stories they are all brought here by the Entity to endlessly kill and slaughter people. So they are canon within the dbd lore. Or at least that's what I believe.

  • They're 100% canon, back before Benedict Baker dropped off entirely, he had lore entries for Freddy, Myers, and the Pig. As well as their accompanying survivors. Just because we can't have a tome for Bubba or whatever doesn't mean they don't exist in context to the game. I really wish people would stop asking this question, ngl.

  • They feel canon, and the back stories work well. Would be interesting to get something up in the Archives though!

    What supplements this is the idea these killers and survivors are from many different worlds and universes. The multiverse theory also aids with creating alternate outcomes for the licensed peeps, as - for example - Cheryl Mason in the Silent Hill lore escapes the clutches of the cult and lives out a better life, but in one alternate path she finds herself facing another darkness; this one more cosmic than paranormal.

    On a side note, there's probably a Silent Hill where all the Hell that happens is just the effects of the drug problem in Silent Hill and there is no cult nor Sun Goddess - just a lot of people having bad trips.

  • @NomiNomad said:

    Title. Do you think the licensed killers- Myers, PH, Bubba, etc., etc. are canon? In my opinion, probably not - aside from Ghost Face considering he's an original character, just with a licensed costume.

    I like to think that DBD could have any horror icon as canon.

    You could take rawhead rex, pinhead, Chucky etc and throw them in.

    There isn't any reason they can't be given the way the lore works.

    I would love to see the Creeper from jeepers creepers.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    I don't consider any of the licensed characters as canon unless they start making tomes about them.

    Even if they make tomes about them it doesn't change the fact these characters are just guest characters that have their own story done already and in canon they don't really have any connection to DBD story.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    I don't consider any of the licensed characters as canon unless they start making tomes about them.

    Just asking, but does that mean you consider all characters without a tome not canon?

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1693870#Comment_1693870

    Pretty much all the license characters yeah, with the exception to ghostface perhaps since he's part original.

    So what are you thoughts on this then?

    image.png