PSA: How to properly calculate how long slowed interactions will take

Apparently this is needed again and I'm not sifting through 1k of my own threads to find the other PSA I already opened on the subject, so here we go.

Here are the facts you need to know beforehand:

  • Interactions in DbD are measured in charges (c)
  • Interaction speeds are measured in charges per second (c/s)
  • The default interaction speed is 1 charge per second (1 c/s)
  • Debuffs of the same type that come from different sources stack multiplicatively
  • Buffs of the same type that come from different sources stack additively, but they're usually capped, depending on the type of buff

To get the total interaction speed, you divide the number of charges required by the speed at which you're interacting. Below are two examples with debuffs, both centered on generators, which require 80 c.

Example 1 - Dying Light with 3 tokens

Dying Light gives survivors a 3% speed debuff in several interactions. With 3 tokens, that's 9%.

The interaction speed is, therefore, 1 - 0.09 = 0.91 c/s.

The time required to repair a generator becomes 80/0.91 = 88 s (approximately). As I said above, you divide the number of charges required by the speed.

Example 2 - Dying light with 6 tokens and Thanatophobia with 3 injured survivors

Dying Light is providing an 18% slowdown, while (current) Thanatophobia provides a 12% slowdown.

The interaction speed is (1 - 0.18) x (1 - 0.12) = 0.82 x 0.88 = 0.7216 c/s.

The time required to repair a generator becomes 80/0.7216 = 111 s (approximately). Again, you divide the number of charges required by the speed.

Tagged: Dev

Comments

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1659424#Comment_1659424

    Also. I don't care if you have a million posts. Using your post count as if you are some authority figure is a logical fallacy. Appealing to your false authority doesn't make your argument or your lack of evidence any better.

    My point is that people have gotten to know me and know I don't talk out of my ass. If I'm not sure about something, I say so. If I am sure, it's because I've done the research.

    @Almo said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1659434#Comment_1659434

    PWYF % is based on the Killer's "normal" movement speed. If they're 4.6 m/s and get a 10% buff, that's 5.06 m/s.

    THIS is an authority i believe. Not you without evidence.


    Thanks for clearing it up Almo.

  • I explained why it'd make no sense to do it the way you said from a programming perspective and you ignored me. I explained what the percentages (110% and 115%) mean and you ignored that too. I even told you how you could read the game's actual code and you dismissed it. I would've provided a literal screenshot of said code, but you would've tossed it aside as well. Point is, I provided evidence and even told you how you could find it for yourself. In all honesty, it just seemed like you wanted to cast doubt for the sake of casting doubt.

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1659773#Comment_1659773

    I explained why it'd make no sense to do it the way you said from a programming perspective and you ignored me. I explained what the percentages (110% and 115%) mean and you ignored that too. I even told you how you could read the game's actual code and you dismissed it. I would've provided a literal screenshot of said code, but you would've tossed it aside as well. Point is, I provided evidence and even told you how you could find it for yourself. In all honesty, it just seemed like you wanted to cast doubt for the sake of casting doubt.

    You offered no evidence, nothing.


    • You aren't a dev
    • A wiki is not a source, ask any college professor
    • Your 16k post count is irrelevant


    Then, a dev comes in, you know, someone who works on the game, has access to the code, and is the actual damn person who is able to answer with certainty. They back up your point. I concede that i was wrong about how it worked, but i'm not about to blindly believe some random person on the internet who makes claims with no way to back them up and when you ask for proof starts complaining and talking about "but muh post count"


    If you DID provide a screenshot of the code i'd believe you, assuming the source was real and actually accurate, but you didn't do that did you? You just talked about how high your post count is, as if that means i should believe you.

  • Always being informative and helpful huh Orion.

    This is why you always managed to be my one of favourite people on the forums.

  • @thesuicidefox said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1653725#Comment_1653725

    Buffs are additive.

    Debuffs are multiplicative.

    So to find out how long it takes to heal with Sloppy Butcher (20% debuff), 2 stacks of Thana (4% debuff each stack) and Botany Knowledge (33% buff) and Resilience (9% buff) the formula looks like this...

    16 / (((1 - 0.2) * (1 - (0.04 * 2))) + 0.33 + 0.09) = 13.84083045 seconds

    From my own personal testing, it seems that the game doesn't round up or down after the first decimal it merely drops all the numbers after it. So the above value is simplified as just 13.8s. Even if the second digit was 5 it would be the same. However this is testing on Xbox which is 30fps, so accurate measurements are more difficult.

    Also @Orion there is no cap for survivor actions. The only cap is We'll Make It which doesn't cap overall heal speed, it just caps the max bonus of WMI to +100%. So instead of getting 300% for saving 3 people in 60 seconds, you just stay at 100%.

    FYI - Xbox isn’t at 30 fps. Xbox actually hits 60 FPS, it’s just not stable. More stable on the One X, but still, not stable. (Larger fluctuations on the Xbox/PS4 vs. One X/ Ps4 pro


    The switch on the other hand gets about 15-22 FPS on avg. it’s max is 30 FPS, which it does not hit in game

  • @Reinami said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1659788#Comment_1659788

    You offered no evidence, nothing.

    • You aren't a dev
    • A wiki is not a source, ask any college professor
    • Your 16k post count is irrelevant

    Then, a dev comes in, you know, someone who works on the game, has access to the code, and is the actual damn person who is able to answer with certainty. They back up your point. I concede that i was wrong about how it worked, but i'm not about to blindly believe some random person on the internet who makes claims with no way to back them up and when you ask for proof starts complaining and talking about "but muh post count"

    If you DID provide a screenshot of the code i'd believe you, assuming the source was real and actually accurate, but you didn't do that did you? You just talked about how high your post count is, as if that means i should believe you.

    I offered evidence that you dismissed because you didn't trust my sources.

    • No, I'm not, but I do know programming. I don't need to be a dev to know that doing things the way you said is inefficient and that no programmer worth their salt would do it like that.
    • My college professors say Wikipedia is a very reliable source, provided their statements come accompanied by sources, since Wikipedia is essentially an aggregate and summary of reliable sources. The "can be edited by anyone" thing is a fallacy, as was mentioned by @GoodBoyKaru.
    • I already explained that I was just referring to the fact that I'd expect people to have a little trust in me after 16k comments.

    If I did provide a screenshot of the code and said it'd come from my admin friend (which would've been the truth, he did send me screenshots), you would've dismissed it because you don't trust him, even though I literally told you how you could see for yourself. And, again, I only spoke of my post count in reference to the fact that people should have gotten to know me, that's literally what I said:

    @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1659424#Comment_1659424

    Also. I don't care if you have a million posts. Using your post count as if you are some authority figure is a logical fallacy. Appealing to your false authority doesn't make your argument or your lack of evidence any better.

    My point is that people have gotten to know me and know I don't talk out of my ass. If I'm not sure about something, I say so. If I am sure, it's because I've done the research.

    To reiterate what I said before, it looks like you just wanted to cast doubt for its own sake. Believe me, I won't be bothering a dev again any time soon just because you don't trust my sources. They have better things to do than drop in on random threads to explain the inner workings of the game.

    @Volfawott said:

    Always being informative and helpful huh Orion.

    This is why you always managed to be my one of favourite people on the forums.

    Thank you. It's nice to be appreciated.

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1660216#Comment_1660216

    I offered evidence that you dismissed because you didn't trust my sources.

    • No, I'm not, but I do know programming. I don't need to be a dev to know that doing things the way you said is inefficient and that no programmer worth their salt would do it like that.
    • My college professors say Wikipedia is a very reliable source, provided their statements come accompanied by sources, since Wikipedia is essentially an aggregate and summary of reliable sources. The "can be edited by anyone" thing is a fallacy, as was mentioned by @GoodBoyKaru.
    • I already explained that I was just referring to the fact that I'd expect people to have a little trust in me after 16k comments.

    If I did provide a screenshot of the code and said it'd come from my admin friend (which would've been the truth, he did send me screenshots), you would've dismissed it because you don't trust him, even though I literally told you how you could see for yourself. And, again, I only spoke of my post count in reference to the fact that people should have gotten to know me, that's literally what I said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1659440#Comment_1659440

    To reiterate what I said before, it looks like you just wanted to cast doubt for its own sake. Believe me, I won't be bothering a dev again any time soon just because you don't trust my sources. They have better things to do than drop in on random threads to explain the inner workings of the game.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1660257#Comment_1660257

    Thank you. It's nice to be appreciated.

    Honestly this tea is beautiful and I'm loving every second of it

  • @EuphoricBliss35 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1659591#Comment_1659591

    FYI - Xbox isn’t at 30 fps. Xbox actually hits 60 FPS, it’s just not stable. More stable on the One X, but still, not stable. (Larger fluctuations on the Xbox/PS4 vs. One X/ Ps4 pro

    The switch on the other hand gets about 15-22 FPS on avg. it’s max is 30 FPS, which it does not hit in game

    No the game definitely does not run at 60fps on Xbox. I've played games at 60fps on Xbox and you can tell this isn't 60fps. It's 30 at best. Not sure where you get this info from, literally just play the game and you will see it runs at 30fps.

1 2 ›